Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM
First Mate

we were upgraded from an inside to an outside cabin on the Veendam on our first cruise in '01. We don't book guarantees anymore but it did happen
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Yeoman

Nice one, so glad you found a hens tooth....
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Passenger

Default No Trouble

This may sound weird but we have had no trouble getting upgraded.

Are you sailing solo or something?

Are you using a travel agent? I just work with the cruise line directly and they are usually very accommodating.
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Passenger

I am amazed that an experienced cruiser would ask such a newbe question.

How could anyone who has booked their first cruise not discover how to get a good shot at an upgrade?

My method is simple and it has not failed me yet. Last trip I was actually upgraded twice. I declined the first cabin and because there was still a year before the sail date there were plenty of cabins still available. I wound up in a suite--paid for an unspecified balcony. I still have the paperwork that shows the cabin numbers changing while the confirmation number and price remains the same.

I know this goes against some of the mythology and disinformation that is spread here but it is true. I would give you more info but I am beginning to get the feeling that the purpose of such questions posted here is to discourage new cruisers from discovering the relative ease of the upgrade.
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

In over 20 cruises, we have only been upgraded once after the initial purchase. It should be noted that the initial purchase sometimes includes a category upgrade, but I consider that part of the purchase price.

Most of the time we select a specific cabin at the time of purchase, and that has never been upgraded. However, on the cruise we have booked on the Grand Princess on Dec 9th, we booked a gurantee on a balcony cabin and were subsequently upgraded to a mini suite. I believe that this is about as good as someone might expect.

If any of you who claim that they are constantly being upgraded from an inside cabin to an outside suite with balcony would publish a book about it, I am sure that it would be a best seller. On second thought, I wouldn't purchase it, since I am too old for fairy tales.
Old October 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Yeoman

Nice one Paul, do you feel that some have missed what an actual "upgrade" used to mean on ship. Its all smoking mirrors from the line. Okay tell us old guys the upgrades you got, from what to what, its all about perspective, if your happy with what you got fine...but to a lot of us shifting down a corrider or up two flights to the same cabin...aint an upgrade
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Passenger

On many of the cruise seller sites you will find o/s guarantee or a balcony guarantee. Pretty simple thing....you get the best available. I suspect that previous cruises on that particular line count for a "better" cabin.

Regal Princess 1996, Sun Princess 1998, Grand Princess 2000, Ocean Princess 2001, Golden Princess 2004, Caribbean Princess 2004, 2006

S.S. Norway 2002 M.S. Veendam 2003

Celebrity Zenith 2005, 2006

RCCL Soverign 2001, Monarch 2002, Majesty 2002, 2004, Empress 2005

Carnival Ecstasy 1999, 2001
Carnival Fascination 2001, 2003, 2003, 2004
Carnival Imagination 2002, 2003, 2003, 2005
Carnival Victory 2003
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Actually, we have been upgraded from inside guarantee to "superior" outside on Promenade Deck. Not sure what superior meant. Both were on HAL and were long cruises, more expensive than we usually go for. Hence booking the cheapest we could find. The first was our first on HAL. Maybe it was lcuk, or smart marketing, as it did get us back on HAL asap.
Marty
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Yeoman

Okay I will except that colorcrazie with HAL, changing market, long expensive cruise. These things happen, but "normal" bulk line, itinery I dont see it.

Why? Because unless the ship is sailing at a really bad time of year, and to places people dont want to go and half empty, they there is scope.

But mostly they are running 90 - 100% full so the odds of getting an "upgrade" are very slim as most cabins are pre booked, unless the whole ship plays musical chairs and everyone moves round one....No way!

Yes, upgrades are there, but I feel very much in the tiny minority, logically it cant be any other way.
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Passenger

When I booked our cruise this passed summer for May with our TA, I told her over the phone what we were interested in and where. An 8a on Carnival, she told me that she would check on things and get back with me. She called back about 30 min later and told me that I could upgrade to a 8d for the same price. I thought man oh man what a deal. So we agreed on a room # and I sent in my deposit. I don't guess that that is much of an upgrade, it just keeps us on the elevator 3 more floors...

P.S. Got to looking around on the online cruise sites, come to find out they were doing the 3 level upgrades too. I thought that my TA was really taking good care of me too
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Hi Joey,

Ummm??? I don't know which ship you are sailing, but I have to say that usually an 8A cabin is a "better" cabin than an 8D. Of course if the cabin is in an area that you prefer, it would be better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Troutt
An 8a on Carnival, she told me that she would check on things and get back with me. She called back about 30 min later and told me that I could upgrade to a 8d for the same price. I thought man oh man what a deal. So we agreed on a room # and I sent in my deposit. I don't guess that that is much of an upgrade, it just keeps us on the elevator 3 more floors...
Can you tell us the name of the ship and why the D cabin is better than the A cabin (for you?)? Or am I just "way out of the loop?" ?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Passenger

Hi ya Fern,

The ship I'm sailing is the Destiny. (I know, I've read the reviews also.) We were booking for the islands that the ship visits. But it started out as a room on the upper deck. Then we "choose" to move to the lido deck.

We sailed on the Glory this passed summer and were on the veranda deck almost under the forward pool. Didn't really want to go there again but would have just to get back on a ship.

As you may have guessed my sailing experience is limited, soooooo I suppose we'll find out if we want to venture up to this level again. We got the "upgrade" for $859 pp. I'm hoping that the DW doesn't think that I've pulled another hand full of poop out of a rose vase...
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Hi Joey,

I "get it" now! Looks like you'll have a great cabin on the Lido deck ! Very close to the pool and the buffet!

If you paid only $859.00 pp for a Lido deck balcony cabin I think you did very well. We were looking at a cruise in June and the lowest balcony guarantee price was about twice that much. (We passed!)

Better put roses in that vase !

Hope you and DW have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Passenger

I just took a group of 40 on Princess and all the people in an inside got upgraded to an outside because of our travel agent spending hours on the computer and watching for discounting/availability for upgrades.
Old December 4th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Upgrades are easy--book early, book often, and ask for an upgrade instead of a price break when the rates drop. A few weeks ago I received my tickets for a cruise I booked a year and a half ago. I was pleased to see that I will be sailing in the cat 12 suite for which I had hoped. I called Carnival twice during the 18 months to speak with them about published price drops. On each occasion I was offered a lower price for a specific cabin, but I liked my odds and held out for an upgrade to a suite. It paid off—I will be sailing in a suite after booking a balcony.

I think upgrades are common. Think about it, low priced cabins sell quickly because many people believe that since all cabins sail together--why pay more. Yet, low priced cabins seem to be available on many cruises right up to the last minute—which tells me that the lines are probably cascading cabin upgrades in order to sell cabins at low fares as the departure date nears.

Old December 4th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Admiral

I complained about policy to Carnival and I received a letter for an upgrade from them to shut me up.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Passenger

Default no magic formula, just our upgrade story

Hubby & I booked our cruise back in September or October and our TA suggested that seeing it was our first cruise, we book a room instead of a guarentee...so we did - Cat 8C 8343. We also booked our air with Carnival as well, better price than we could have found on our own.

When we recieved our docs, it stated our room was 8343, so we filled out our tags accordingly. When we arrived at the pier, we were told that we were in room 7295 - we told them they had made a mistake, we were to be in 8343. They checked the manifest again and told us we had been moved to 7295 & showed us our names. Hubby was a little miffed, thinking we had been downgraded & asked why..."We would never downgrade, only upgrade".

When we boarded, we found our floor and started down the hallway, looking for our room number. We passed an open door and hubby gasped, what a nice room, I checked the door & told him "This is our room". We walked in to find a Cat 12 Penthouse suite but still wasn't convinced it was ours until we found a bottle of wine and a slip with our names on it.

Now, we are not ones to constantly check prices after we book, we just accept what we paid and be done with it. We also pay in Canadian prices so it is sometimes hard to tell if the price dropped (unless you want to do the math for the currency conversion). I don't know if our TA put us on some upgrade list (if there is that sort of thing) but it was a pleasent suprise. Now the only problem is...hubby loved the suite so much, he would probably never book anything but.

bluesky8130 (sorry there was no magic formula)
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Yeoman

I once got a letter in the post that promised me I could win if I replied or called a telephone number..... $2,000.000.

See, I agree these things can actually happen...serious was told that, I got that gold envelope, I was a WINNER.

Pleased for you, but in the world of cruising serious upgrades are still like hens teeth, so you just won the cruising lottery.
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

We have never been upgraded from an inside to a outside,or an outside to a balcony,etc.
Have been upgraded to a higher deck,if one considers that a "upgrade"
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Admiral

I am booked guarantee balcony. So I could in fact end up anywhere there is a balcony. From the sound of some these post higher is not really better. We were able to get guarantee balcony for 675.00 each (includeds all fees and taxes) for 7 night Eastern Caribbean in Oct. 2007 aboard the Glory. It sounded good to me. I would assume that the cheaper balconies will sell quicker and then maybe we will get moved to a bigger balcony. Or not! I don't know. It's a chance I am taking, but I didn't like the way the oceanview cabins on the Main deck were located under the galley and restaraunts. I'm just happy to be able to go again and know that I will at least have a balcony of some sort.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Beginner

On Carnival we have always booked a balcony guarantee and have always received an upgrade. The last Conquest cruise we got the back cabin with the wrap-around balcony and loved it! (have since found out that was a $400/person upgrade)
This cruise on Conquest, the PVP selected a room for us because she said we were entitled to an upgrade as past guests. Little did we know, this then makes us tied into that cabin with no hope for further upgrades!
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Yeoman

TexasMom...how many cruises on Carnival have you taken? Just asking, as I guess that you had not been with them for only two or three cruises previous to receiving that upgrade, and now "end of line" upgrade.

How many Carnival cruises did it take for that upgrade?
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

On Carnival, if you book an 8A balcony, especially if booking early, you have a good chance of getting a higher "category" balcony. This means you are one deck up or closer to the front or back. The cabin is almost always identical. The balcony may be a bit larger on some cabins.

There are few times you will go to a Cat 9, 11 or 12. That's an upgrade.

If you book a "Balcony Guarantee" Cat BL. You "must" receive an upgrade otherwise you would not be assigned a cabin. This isn't an upgrade it's a cabin assignment.

The word "upgrade" is thrown around very loosely. IMO: A true upgrade is going from an Inside to Outside: Outside to Balcony: Balcony to Suite.

If someone receives a one category upgrade then WONDERFUL, but don't give people false hope thinking they are going to go from an inside to the Penthouse because of it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Yeoman

Exactly Those are upgrades in anyones mind that has cruised

Inside to Outside: Outside to Balcony: Balcony to Suite, anything else is a reshuffle of the ship
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Passenger

We must have got really lucky then we went from a balcony to the Penthouse suite! Only problem is that it was our first and I am afraid that it may have spoiled us for the next one.
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Yeoman

My mom and dad got an upgrade from inside to outside on their Alaska cruise, but mom has always had the good luck genes in the family and never passed it on to me. She won $100,000 in a contest one time too. I even answered the door when the certified letter came and nothing rubbed off on me . We still are hoping for that inside to outside upgrade. We also fly back home a couple days before we have to report back to work, hoping that they would overbook flights so we could stay back and get free airline coupons! Neither has happened but we still enjoy our cruises anyway We are just thrilled to be on the ship...youknow the old "even if we are in the boiler room" saying. That's us

Luanne
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Well, my TA just emailed me stating that Carnival would be issuing docs soon on our May 20th cruise. We have 50+ people booked in the cheapest guaranteed (6A I believe) inside rooms available. This is a senior trip and we had to keep it affordable. I'll let you know if the upgrade fairy visits us when the docs come in. We can't possibly go any lower, so it's a win,win situation!

I truly wanted a balcony room, so if the group is upgraded to a deck with balcony rooms available, I might just pay the difference at embarkation.

Melody
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Passenger

Default We just got our upgrade!

We are booked on Carnival Ship Holiday. We booked back in June or July of last year. We just got bumped up three floors!

We got a one floor bump up on our 1st cruise. Nothing on our second. Three floors on this one! You never know!

Our TA told us this:

Buy the least expensive cabin they are offering. They only set aside a certain number of the "spacial rate" cabins. These are the bottom of the deck, inside, etc. cabins. Once all these cabins have sold, they keep selling them! They sale the same ones over and over, bumping up the ones who book 1st etc. etc.! In most cases, your bump up is still inside cabin to inside cabin, or if you booked a room with a view you still get a room with a view, they just bump you up a floor or three. Keep in mind, most cabins are the same in size. Being bumped up only brings on a little more convenience, such as, not having to wait as long for an elevator.

Don't sweat it rather you get bumped up or not. We had just as much fun on the bottom deck as we did mid-level. You don't spend much time in your room anyway! Just long enough to take a nap, run through the shower and get dressed (now that the have taken the topless deck away ) and go play!

Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2008
Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2007
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2006
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2005
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Yeoman

AANR, respect and happy for you if that is what you and others see as an upgrade. Same room, same service. Just a few stops less on the elevator

Cant get my head around how some people see circumstances like that as an upgrade....Laughing my whatevers off here

But hey if you are happy
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
AANR, respect and happy for you if that is what you and others see as an upgrade. Same room, same service. Just a few stops less on the elevator

C
Maybe there is a difference between being "bumped up" and an "upgrade"? I guess what we have, would be called "bumped up". There are other nice things about being bumped up other then a few stops less on the elevator. Less engine noise, less heat from the engine etc. Also, on the Holiday, the smallest Carnival Ship, a few stops less on the Elevator is a BIG deal.

My point is, do not let type of cabin dictate how much fun you have on a cruise.

Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2008
Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2007
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2006
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2005