Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Default Guest at the dinner table.

Okay I have to ask, How many people have been hooked up with a big pain in the rear at the dinner table. We had 1 couple on our last cruise that could not be pleased.

The steak was terrible-Too tough to cut with a butter knife

The lobster is nasty the way they fix it on this boat-Split in have and baked. Looked good to me.

The escargot is the worst I have tasted-They are snails, how are they supposed to taste.

The dress code is not enforce-They have clothes on.

The beds are hard (they were hard)-Tip the room steward and get an extra mattress. We did.

The gambling is terrible-Maybe this is not your night. I lost money too, but when I saw I was not winning I left and had a drink.

If you have been on 30 cruises in the last 5 years you must know by now this is not a 5-star restaurant. There will always be someone that is not dressed to your liking. So eat, enjoy the company of complete strangers and relax. You never know you might make new friends. We met some new friends on our first cruise and went to visit them in Canada on the second cruise.

I do not have a problem with what people wear to dinner. Shirt and pants who cares as long as they are decent, we are there to have a good time and relax.

If you like getting dressed up go for it and I will not complain you wore a tux and/or evening gown to dinner every night. If you are comfortable I am glad and I am sure you look nice. Just don't look down at us when we show up in pants and a polo shirts for nights other than formal night. Oh by the way I will wear a suit if I decide to show up for formal night.

Moral of all of this-Go on a cruise, experience everything, have a good time, relax and be polite to the ones that cannot.[/color]
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Admiral

OUCH! I ran into a couple on my cruise that must have had the same table mates as you did. They had them at breakfast and the people complained about every aspect of the trip. My tablemates left the table without finishing their breakfast they couldn't stand it any more. Needless to say, we bought them both a well deserved drink then enjoyed our dinner.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Arrowhead:

I agree that sitting down and complaining does nothing but ruin everyone's evening, especially if others are enjoying themselves. No one wants to be the "downer" of the table.

On my recent Holland America cruise I was extremely impressed with the service but I was just as underwhelmed with the food. I didn't complain about it at the table but I did make my comments known on my comment card and with a short conversation with the Executive Chef. They are the people who need and want to hear about it, not my tablemates. The most negative comment I made to the tablemates was "I've had better and "The lamb could sure use some seasoning." when I was asked. The rest of the time we just had a good time. That's because we had a great group that overcame any deficiency in the food.

I do believe that if the food is not up to par the cruise line should be made aware of it in the comment cards or if it is really not to your liking you should let your waiter know about IN A NICE WAY and get something you like. I've noticed a decline in the quality of food in recent years and while i don't expect anything more than high quality banquet food but I do expect it to be that and not a slow decline to mediocrity. Without letting the cruise line know about it then it will continue to decline. The comment card is the best way of letting them know.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 18th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Captain

on our last cruise we had great tablemates an alot of fun never complained at all i wish more people were like that i don't went to hear
your complaince i'm hear to relax and have take your complaince to some one who can help but that isn't life is it hope i don't step on any one toes
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Passenger

I totally agree with the complaint should be made to the staff and it should be made in a polite manner.

When the guy turns around and tells the waiter this steak is terrible bring me the lobster after he just said minutes before the lobster was no good the way they fix it on this ship. Now is that asking for it or what.

This is why we only ate in the dinning room 3 times. We had already asked to be seated from the late dinner to the early dinner. The ship changed our seating to this table. It would have also been rude on our part to ask for a different table at the same seating time.
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Admiral

I remember on one incident on a RCCI cruise...It didn't happen at our table, but one directly accross from us.

There was an older couple, sitting at a table for two...and the man was yelling...(not speaking in a raised voice...but yelling) at the waiter. What he was yelling about was that the food was too spicy...to hot.

Another waiter came over and they tried to calm the man down in a very kind, calm voice...saying, "We will get you something else to eat, we are so sorry..., we are so sorry sir...let us get you something more to your liking"...etc. This man continued to yell...and then stopped when a third waiter brought him a pudding of some sort. (?!)

At any other establishment...this guy would have been thrown out...and/or the police called. But on this ship...the staff continued to be kind and speak in gentle tones...and eventually the man calmed down....

The wait staff have nothing to do with food preparation...and yet sometimes passengers blame them for their food not being prepared like at their local restaurant or at home. Geezeeeee We're on a ship that prepares thousands of meals for thousands of people...It's not like HOME COOKING!

It has happen once or twice when a entree was not to our liking (once it was too salty...once meat was too rare) but we have never had a problem requesting another.
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Yeoman

Fieldmouse, great post and I can appreciate it. On a couple of occasions in the dining room. I have order something from the menu with my DW saying "you will not like that" in my ear. But I go for it, and when it arrives, guess what she was correct. I quietly call the waiter over and say, "Sorry I don’t like this".

Then apart from everything else they have to deal with, they offer and get me something that my wife should have chosen in the first place
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Admiral

David, if you like haggis, how can anything else be bad?
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:08 AM
Admiral

I know I would not want to be at a tables with a person who gripes all the time. I would eat at the buffet then.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Passenger

We did eat very other night at the buffet. We ate the 2 formal nights and the Italian night in the dining room. We hated to do this because the one other lady at the table would see us and ask if we were coming to dinner that night. I guess she and her husband were to polite to say anything either. She was a nice lady and her husband was quiet most of the time.
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:53 PM
Yeoman

Paul, I love haggis so much that it is the only thing I eat. When we go on a ship I get it specially imported in, along with a Scottish chef to cook it in different ways to cover breakfast, lunch and dinner.

What, am I different !!
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:10 PM
Admiral

In that case, you would probably like the whole hog tamales they make down here in South Texas at Christmas time. They use everything that is a hogs head for filling. In fact, you can buy hog's heads at the meat market.

Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Passenger

You can by those in Kentucky too. Among other things on a hog. Fries, tail chitlings, ears, feet. You just cannot get too much hog.
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I learned on our first cruise that if you are seated with a jerk (or two), just ask to be switched to another table at future meals. If you are with a party of your liking, and the jerk is the exception to the rest of the people at the table, you need to tell the Captain of the dining room that you are displeased with that (those) diners and wish them to be placed elsewhere. If you are discreet in your request you will get results and the offenders will never know why they are being moved or at whose request. Don't be confrontational with the offenders - they will find you elsewhere on the ship sometime and create a scene.

Remember, we can't change people - we can only change how we deal with them. Don't try to fix it if you didn't build it or break it! Just keep a respectable distance between your own heaven and hell!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:00 AM
Passenger

The only problem is we had already moved from late seating to the early seating. I thought it would not be good to ask to be moved again. We did the next best thing and ate there every other night. I liked the buffet as well as the dinner in the resturant.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead55
The only problem is we had already moved from late seating to the early seating. I thought it would not be good to ask to be moved again. We did the next best thing and ate there every other night. I liked the buffet as well as the dinner in the resturant.
You should have. Then you had a good out.
At least you could have enjoyed the main dining room.
If the second seating was packed then I could understand.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Beginner

I think you all are missing the point of the original post......Instead of trying to change people, see if you can't accept who they are.
Buy them a drink, tell them they look nice, ask them a few questions, and you'll be amazed in the transformation of some peoples personalities. Half the time they don't even realize they are being rude......

We sat with a crabby woman at a table one year, and ate VERY little and complained most of the time about the food. After a couple of days of almost pulling my hair out, I offered up a few compliments about her appearance etc., and then she started opening up. I found out she was a survivor of a concentration camp in WWII and because of her starving in the camp, she'd always had a hard time eating.

By day three, we were all laughing at the table..........even tho she had no idea I was ready to smack her the first couple of days
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Beginner

We were so fortunate on our last Princess cruise. We chose anytime dining and on the first night met three wonderful (and funny) couples. We ended up doing some shore excursions with these folks and even spending time with them on the land tour. Needless to say we formed our own table for the rest of the cruise. This is certainly not always the rule. On our cruise last February we sat with the most sullen man. Each night when he would leave the table everyone would let out a huge sigh and a little cheer. It's too bad when one person spoils the fun for a group.
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean s
We were so fortunate on our last Princess cruise. We chose anytime dining and on the first night met three wonderful (and funny) couples. We ended up doing some shore excursions with these folks and even spending time with them on the land tour. Needless to say we formed our own table for the rest of the cruise. This is certainly not always the rule. On our cruise last February we sat with the most sullen man. Each night when he would leave the table everyone would let out a huge sigh and a little cheer. It's too bad when one person spoils the fun for a group.
My husband and I are hoping to do the same thing. On our only other cruise, we were with a large family group so we were kinda stuck with them. (It's my family so I can joke about it.) But we're cruising to Alaska in August, just the two of us, and we thought we'd get the Personal Choice dining. If we hit it off with some folks, we might ask if they'd like to meet us again the next night. If not, we'll just be seated at another table.

We're not anti-social and can cut folks some slack but if someone was a real jerk, we would rather not waste our precious cruise time on him.
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Admiral

On our last Mexico cruise we were assigned a table with two older couples...they were in their high 60's and 70's. My husband and I are somewhat younger...anyway...they turned out to be lots of fun..and after while we found out that we really looked forward to meeting for dinners together.

One night we decided to go to the speciality restaurant on HAL's Oo...beautiful place and with excellent food rather than eat in the main dining room. Sort of off the wall.

When we walked in .....there were the two other couples, they had the same idea...They had just been talking about how sad it was that my husband and I would be sitting alone at that large table for 6. It was so funny...They invited us to please join them...which we gladly did...here we were all sitting together again! We loved it and so did they!

I think that is what we enjoy most about cruising...meeting nice people from all around the country that ordinarily we wouldn't have the opportunity to meet!
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Passenger

That is a really nice story that brought a big smile to my face. Thanks!

Caribbean Travel Photos & Pictures