Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Yeoman

"but that is you"....Yes it is, so who else’s opinion can I give?

We are actually agreed on this momofmeg. As for Celeb they are right up there in my top three lines, but again this is personal choice and having for the last few years done only balcony cabins then I could not go back inside.

But I did it for years when I could afford nothing better, so I have a balance and a comparison to make.

In reflection, some of my best vacations happened on the crappiest ship, with the smallest inside cabin, and less than luxury surroundings compared to today. But it injected the cruise bug into me.

So if you are starting off and budget is tight, just go for what ever you can get....then once hooked and budgets change then look for the balcony.

If my circumstances changed again and could afford only inside…then that would be a big debate in my head, but I still think I would miss and save for what suits me.
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
"but that is you"....Yes it is, so who else’s opinion can I give?

We are actually agreed on this momofmeg. As for Celeb they are right up there in my top three lines, but again this is personal choice and having for the last few years done only balcony cabins then I could not go back inside.

But I did it for years when I could afford nothing better, so I have a balance and a comparison to make.

In reflection, some of my best vacations happened on the crappiest ship, with the smallest inside cabin, and less than luxury surroundings compared to today. But it injected the cruise bug into me.

So if you are starting off and budget is tight, just go for what ever you can get....then once hooked and budgets change then look for the balcony.

If my circumstances changed again and could afford only inside…then that would be a big debate in my head, but I still think I would miss and save for what suits me.
My first cruise was Carnival Tropicale and as it was my first cruise I had no idea how crappy it was! but it hooked me!

I only meant people should weigh things in balance about that. they have to decide wha tis most important to them.

Like the guy I mentioned that took Carnival Ectasy-he picked that cruise becuase it went out of Galveston , I think ,(Texas anyway) and did not want to fly and as he had loved his balcony on the RCCL ship that was MUCH newer- (also that had been a 7 day cruise and not a 4 day cruise)he booked a suite-as on that ship - as those were the only balconies. Then he ws mad becuase he spent $1500 a person! I told him that when the oceanviews STARTED at around $250-300 he should have known better.

I tried to explain to him that was why cruises were cheaper on older ships-BECAUSE they are old and crappy.
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

where on RCCl could I get an 7nt oceanview between 250-350 dollars? Seriously, I'd like 2 know.
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

where on RCCl could I get an 7nt oceanview between 250-350 dollars? Seriously, I'd like 2 know.
Old June 29th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by san007
where on RCCl could I get an 7nt oceanview between 250-350 dollars
Seriously, I'd like 2 know.
No where-not even on Carnival.

In the fall you may possibly on Sovereign of the Seas for a 4 night-but that would be very "iffy".
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Passenger

Default just say yes!

I will never go back to even an oceanview room. I think the balconies are the only way to go. I agree with all of the previous posts. The door slamming can be a bit annoying as with some of the other gripes. I think that the wind sometimes slams the door shut on the way in or out and cathches people off guard/ Also, other neighbors do have a tendency to forget that you can hear every word....which can make for some good entertainment!! As a non smoker sometimes you can smell the cigar or cigarette smoke, but it isn't bad and goes right away. This year we had a balcony on the back of the ship and every morning there would be cigarette butts on our balcony from people that threw their butts overboard. However...we never even complained and our steward vacuumed out there each day. If you are going to drop all the money on a vacation what is a bit more?!? The pros outweigh the cons in my opion.
I hope this helps!
Old July 1st, 2006, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: just say yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaberry
I will never go back to even an oceanview room. I think the balconies are the only way to go. I agree with all of the previous posts. The door slamming can be a bit annoying as with some of the other gripes. I think that the wind sometimes slams the door shut on the way in or out and cathches people off guard/ Also, other neighbors do have a tendency to forget that you can hear every word....which can make for some good entertainment!! As a non smoker sometimes you can smell the cigar or cigarette smoke, but it isn't bad and goes right away. This year we had a balcony on the back of the ship and every morning there would be cigarette butts on our balcony from people that threw their butts overboard. However...we never even complained and our steward vacuumed out there each day. If you are going to drop all the money on a vacation what is a bit more?!? The pros outweigh the cons in my opion.
I hope this helps!
the design of the Disney Wonder was a sliding door and did not have the break of scution sound. I slept much better on that ship-not being woke up by balcony doors slaming.
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM
First Mate

our first 3 cruises were either inside or outside cabins, and then we switched to balconies. I won't say we'd never not have one but DH really, really loves it. We have breakfast out there and it's also the last place we go before retiring. We love to stand in the dark and listen to the water as the ship cuts through the night (we also try to cruise on the full moon, which makes it even more breathtaking). We only cruise HAL and they don't have plastic furniture on their balconies which is another plus.
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:17 AM
Beginner

I always book a inside cabin, I am not in the room enough for the extra expen I figure, I can go on 2 cruises for the price of 1 We did book 2 rooms for an Alaska cruise and 1 room had a balcony and one was across the hall inside. Figured we could share the balcony. In Alaska it is a different exper. cause you have the Glaciers to watch in the comfort of your room.
Old July 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Our recent first cruise was with a balcony. Now, looking for another longer cruise I find it very hard to pay all that money for it even though it is what I prefer. I wish I had takin an inside cabin first then I know if it is good enough but now I would hate to book an IC and have it really detract from my cruise experience.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Passenger

balconys are the only way to go!the owner's suites on the crown are 600 sq. ft. and have adeck that is 180 sq. ft.no hassles wqith chair hoggers on deck by the pools,no kids running by,nobody *****ing about my wifes smoking.breakfast every morning,cocktails very enjoyable,sights well worth it!
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy
balconys are the only way to go!the owner's suites on the crown are 600 sq. ft. and have adeck that is 180 sq. ft.no hassles wqith chair hoggers on deck by the pools,no kids running by,nobody *****ing about my wifes smoking.breakfast every morning,cocktails very enjoyable,sights well worth it!
but beachboy the problem is with sunning on your balcony is you can't take a dip in the pool when you get too hot. I suppose though you could jump in the shower.

Guys I love balconies and as long as I can afford it I will have a balcony-but if it means I can't afford to cruise but once every 2 or 3 years in order to affford a balcony-well no I will cruise in an inside cabin if need be.

When I was on Celebrity Zenith-even the suites had no balconies-but I still loved that ship. I had a great time and would cruise her again.

My next two cruises I have balconies booked. I am still going on the caribbean Princess this Oct.- but instead of the Jewel of the Seas-becuase of drydock issues-that cruise was canceled-I am now going on Celebrity Constellation in fall 2007 and yes I have a balcony!!!!!!!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

While I haven't had one, I have had an equal number of inside and outside cabins in 13 cruises. This one coming up I have an inside right off the centrum on deck eight a few steps from the elevators and the Concierge lounge. I truly am in my cabin only when sleeping showering, getting ready for dinner or entertaining late at night when it is too dark to see outside anyway. This Enchantment trip would cost me truly double to go from highest deck inside to a minimal balocny. I would rather cruise twice in the inside than once in the balcony. That is the way I look at it!

If you pay twice as much do you get twice the meals, entertainment, days at the pool, chances of meeting hot babes, ect.... no, I don't think so. I would rather cruise twice on the inside than once in a balcony. But that is just me.... 8)

Mariner in May with kids have a 211 SF outside on deck nine. Preferable to the balcony with more room and don't have to worry about the kids falling overboard.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
First Mate

On our next cruise we will be in a balcony for the first time ever. For us it depended on the bottom line...just how much extra is it gonna cost us? It was like $500 more. Heck yea lets give it whirl! IF it was going to be more then that then we would have said no. But, our attitudes may change after we try it out.
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Default Hooked

The way we got hooked on veranda's is we got UPGRADED on our first cruise!

There were 4 of us...(two couples) and we were booked on RCCI in outside standard cabins ....windows only. We were ALL upgraded to beautiful junior suites. That did it! We were in a great location (middle of the ship)...large suites, right next door to each other... etc. Our TA said it was like we won the Lottery!!! It was great and ....Well...now were hooked

Small note: Earlier this year we sailed on RCCI MOS 4 day Baja cruise, all the veranda's were gone. MOS is an older ship with fewer veranda's...so we booked outside cabins with windows only. We had a wonderful time. The cabin actually turned out nice...We wouldn't want it for a longer cruise because it's too small, but for a short tour around the pond.... Dave the Wave has a point!
Old August 25th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Gee, I hopes that happens for me. I have U/L, what are my chances getting a junior suite.

Old August 28th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
While I haven't had one, I have had an equal number of inside and outside cabins in 13 cruises. This one coming up I have an inside right off the centrum on deck eight a few steps from the elevators and the Concierge lounge. I truly am in my cabin only when sleeping showering, getting ready for dinner or entertaining late at night when it is too dark to see outside anyway. This Enchantment trip would cost me truly double to go from highest deck inside to a minimal balocny. I would rather cruise twice in the inside than once in the balcony. That is the way I look at it!

If you pay twice as much do you get twice the meals, entertainment, days at the pool, chances of meeting hot babes, ect.... no, I don't think so. I would rather cruise twice on the inside than once in a balcony. But that is just me.... 8)

Mariner in May with kids have a 211 SF outside on deck nine. Preferable to the balcony with more room and don't have to worry about the kids falling overboard.
Dave, the atruim/promande cabins on Mariner of the Seas were really neat! I did not miss haviing a balcony at all! It's lot sof fun to "peopel watch"! and I also watched the parades from my cabin.

Though since you have both your boys that will not work for you as those cabins are only built for 2 people. Only 2 beds and a sette built into the wall by the window but it's only about 3 and half feet long-so that cannot be used as a bed.
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by san007
Gee, I hopes that happens for me. I have U/L, what are my chances getting a junior suite.
Well...........we've sailed 6 times since...and not even the smell of an upgrade! I guess it's like our TA said...we won the lottery....a once in a life time thing! Sorry...

But if you see a falling star tonight...you might try wishing!
Old August 31st, 2006, 03:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

good news!

I've been upgraded

Old August 31st, 2006, 07:06 AM
First Mate

how do you get upgraded???
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Hey San007....which falling star did you wish on??? I'm SURE it was my star...and my wish....dang!!!!

You see...you just never know!!! The 'upgrad' gods were with you...
Old August 31st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Admiral

We just got upgraded, too. Not by a lot, but it put us on the Veranda deck. Any cabin is okay with me so long as I get on the ship, but now, I'm....yipppeee!
Marty
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Default without a doubt

if you have the extra $$$ go for the balcony, nothing like sleeping to the sounds of the ocean!
radiance of the sea-march 2007
voyager of the sea-september 2007
Old October 4th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just returned from Mexico on Princess Diamond...

I had the topmost level of balconies - we could look straight down into the other levels (no secrets there!). I will seriously think about doing it again, though, as we had 2 major smokers on each side of us that just waited for us to open our cabin door. Up until 3am they would be smoking (and partying) out on the balcony, which meant we had to keep out door closed... it was an expensive 'outside cabin'.

I can't understand why it would be so hard to have groups of non-smoking cabins

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Just returned from Mexico on Princess Diamond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezz
I had the topmost level of balconies - we could look straight down into the other levels (no secrets there!). I will seriously think about doing it again, though, as we had 2 major smokers on each side of us that just waited for us to open our cabin door. Up until 3am they would be smoking (and partying) out on the balcony, which meant we had to keep out door closed... it was an expensive 'outside cabin'.

I can't understand why it would be so hard to have groups of non-smoking cabins
Ohhhh...now that's a good idea...Kinda like they have in hotels...Maybe they could devote one whole deck just for smokers.
Old October 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Just returned from Mexico on Princess Diamond...

Quote:
Ohhhh...now that's a good idea...Kinda like they have in hotels...Maybe they could devote one whole deck just for smokers.
Exactly, now why would that be so difficult?! Or at least half of each deck.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Passenger

I have only sailed in suites and balcony cabins. People often say to me, "we always get the cheapest inside cabin--we never spend any time there so why pay more." If I had an inside cabin I would not want to spend any time there either!
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Balconies are worth it. I had a balcony last year and it was awesome. Last week we felt like we were missing all the ocean and sky's beauty. We had to get dress just to walk out on the deck to see the sunset. Next time its a balcony.

Old October 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM
First Mate

We started out this yr with a small porthole cabin, next cruise we were upgraded to an oceanview, the next cruise was an inside, following cruise was a balcony and last cruise was an extended aft balcony. I could never go back to an inside cabin.....just hated the constant darkness plus not being able to see what the weather was. Here's the view from our aft balcony last cruise....definately worth it!

5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Default Popsec

Looking at your beautiful photo...reminds us of WHY we cruise! Wonderful...thank you for sharing!