Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Popsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
Looking at your beautiful photo...reminds us of WHY we cruise! Wonderful...thank you for sharing!
I know what you mean.....I get my cruise fix between cruises by looking through the cruise photo albums The views coming back into NY on the last morning were also incredible! I think I took more pics of the wake and clouds on this last cruise than actual "people" pics
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:11 AM
First Mate

Cost is certainly a factor, especially for those of us who fly a great distance, need an overnight hotel pre &/or post cruise. If we lived near a port like some of you, I could justify a balcony. I think most people that responded to this post are balcony must-have types. Those of us that love to cruise and are fine with a cheap inside room, have cowered away. But like the one post said...we are eating the same food, swimming in the same pool etc. And yes, we would rather have a cruise or two a year, instead of saving up for a balcony every other year. In fact, we love our inside rooms, so dark and quiet for sleeping. If we want to see the ocean or socialize, we'd rather do it somewhere other than our room. Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have your own balcony , although the neighbor thing would drive me nuts, especially if they smoked. We've done ocean-view, but really didn't find that any better, other than knowing if it was dark out.
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Admiral

One other factor is how prone you are to sea sickness. The cheapest cabins, bottom deck, middle of the ship, have the least amount of movement. This is result of shape of ships.
Personally, as long as I am on the ship, I don't care what cabin I'm in. Although I do prefer midship. I have mobility problems and like having maximum easy access to as much as possible. This last cruise, we were on Veranda deck and it was perfect for me. Steps away from deck and elevators. Just had to be religious about my bonine!
Marty
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Beginner

On my first cruise (honeymoon) we boked a suite with a balcony and I'm so thankful we did (RCCL Vision of the Seas). The first night I was so horribly seasick that standing on the balcony looking out at the ocean and taking in the ocean air helped control the seasickness (not to mention the rice and bananas). We left our sliding door cracked every night while we slept and it was better than devine! And waking up to a glorious view was amazing.

We are on the Grand Princess next March with our children (age 15 & 9). We booked two mini suites w/ balconies....my husband refused to go unless we had a balcony.
Old November 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: just booked an inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by san007
you know I ust booked an inside after enjoying our balcony last year on Princess. The balcony was almost as large as my patio. I've convinced myself I don't need a balcony nor a window. I am going to be partying all day and night. I hope I won't regret my decision. Are there some people out there that will take a inside if it was dirt cheap or all you can afford at the time? Or just maybe it doesn't matter just as long you're on the ship. Has anyone stepped down to an inside cabin after experiencing a balcony in the past? Let me here from you.

san
i have had both and it was great having the balcony, but the inside was great also. you can always go to the pool deck or somewhere else on the ship to get the feel of the outdoors. i am not in the cabin that much anyway. yes, the balcony is wonderful for the privacy and all the other perks that have been mentioned, but i am single cruiser and my cruises are picked by the ship, itinerary and how my money situation is at the time i book. if there is a great price for a inside cabin
(or a possible upgrade ) i will take it in a heartbeat. the cruise is what you make of it, whether being inside or out on a balcony. have a great time.

antron
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Admiral

It is obviously to each his own. We have beens on quite a few very enjoyable cruises with no balcony, but now that we've been on 4 with, I really would hate to do without. It is just really nice. Sitting out on your verandah, in the tropics with a good book and a glass of wine. Sigh!!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
It is obviously to each his own. We have beens on quite a few very enjoyable cruises with no balcony, but now that we've been on 4 with, I really would hate to do without. It is just really nice. Sitting out on your verandah, in the tropics with a good book and a glass of wine. Sigh!!
AH.... if ONLY!! I envy you - I never had more than 5 minutes without cigarette smoke coming in from BOTH sides - usually at the same time. They smoked until the wee hours, which also meant I couldn't leave the door open at night. I felt it was a waste of $$ for me.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Yuk!! Never had that problem, ever.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000