Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Beginner

Default Theft from cabin

Theft on board. We sailed on Celebrity Century April 16-28. We had $500 stolen from our cabin. The safe was hidden behind the mirror instead of the usual location in a closet. Our steward did not greet us and explain the location. Before going to lunch after boarding we left passports, a purse with about 100 euros, envelopes with tips marked for crew, and a bank envelope with $500 in a closet drawer with underwear. After lunch we discovered where the safe was, grabbed the pile and put it in the safe. A week after embarcation we went to the safe for the money. It was gone and all else was there. We filed a complaint and have had no response.
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Admiral

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Admiral

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you hear something back soon.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Admiral

so sorry to hear that! That is very, very unusual for cruising, especially on Celebrity. I would follow-up on your complaint. I would guess that your cabin steward has been or will be fired. Most cruise lines have a no-tolerance policy for things like this.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Admiral

We've always felt very safe leaving things in our cabin...BUT just in case, we have never left anything of value out in the open. (by that I mean anything of value goes in the safe!)

In your case though, because you had your valuables hidden in a drawer, it means that your cabin attendent specificly went looking for something, and I'm sure it wasn't the first time! Maybe his contract was up and he didn't care one way or another.

Bummer!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Captain

Hi,
That is unfortunate but are you 100% certain that the money was in the pile when you put it in the drawer? Maybe you dropped it earlier in the day and thoght it was in your pile of valuables.

Karen
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:36 PM
First Mate

Default Theft from cabin

I may have misunderstood, but I thought she meant that they took the money from the drawer and put the money etc. IN THE SAFE, and that it was stolen from the SAFE ??????
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Admiral

With respect to all, it seems that everyone is hanging the cabin steward. If something is missing, he would indeed be a suspect but lets not hang him just yet. It's entirely possible that someone else who had access to the cabin , such as asst. steward,another steward, housekeeping supervisor, etc. had sticky fingers.
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Beginner

This is for Karen
Everything was taken out of the carry on in the cabin and then put in the drawer. There was no chance that it was dropped elswhere.
Florida cruiser
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Agree with Ron here. In the excitement, chaos, confusion of boarding and getting settled, there are several people who have access to our cabins early on. Haven't you ever found your cabin after finding other cabin doors wide open between noon and about 3:00 p.m.?

People are excited, in a hurry to vacation, the stewards are at that point "strangers", someone delivers some luggage, doors are left open - there are all sorts of situations.

I'm not doubting the poster that the items were stashed in a place that would take some searching, but the steward might not be the culprit in this case. The supervisor of the steward also has access to the cabin, in fact, we might all be surprised as to how may people can get into our cabins. I've returned to my cabin mid-day and found people shampooing the carpet and none of them was the room steward.....they got in there somehow!

So, I guess the lesson here is: until you know for sure where the safe is and you know how to operate it, do not leave anything of any value where anyone can get at it. The other part of this hard learned lesson is: a cruise ship is a city, act accordingly - there are good people and bad people in cities all over the world.

I've cruised over 30 times, mostly solo, have had only one incident (not robbery) that reminded me not to ever let my guard down. Sail on!
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Yeoman

interesting that the rest of the stuff in the safe was still there=-==

<< passports, a purse with about 100 euros, envelopes with tips marked for crew,>>>

why would they leave the euros the tip money and the passport --all of these would have value to a thief especially the passport ---- imo the fact that other things of value were left behind tells me that there is more to this story--------------who was the other cabin mate --did they have access to the safe ---agree with earlier poster that there could be a mind lapse here as to who had and where the money was put

Old May 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Yeoman

mmmm, any type of theft is bad. But as already said, lets not hang the steward here.

AS for those room safes, that aint that safe. There is an over ride code that opens them all. And I guess nearly every staff / room attending person on the ship knows it,,since potentially 3,000 people could forget "their code" and need someone to over ride it. Lots know it, you then work on trust

They are safer than your knicker drawer, but not actually safe in the old fashion term

Thats why they offer on some ships an actual safe behind the desk for real valuables.

But the scenario is wrong and should not happen,,,sorry it did for you
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Admiral

DavidBgood said:

Quote:
AS for those room safes, that aint that safe. There is an over ride code that opens them all. And I guess nearly every staff / room attending person on the ship knows it,,since potentially 3,000 people could forget "their code" and need someone to over ride it. Lots know it, you then work on trust
That may be true on some ships, but on our last cruise some friends couldn't get their safe open and they had to call someone from security. Two people came (presumably to watch each other) to open the safe.

Then again, that could have been "just for show" !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

The purser's desk will safeguard documents, cash, etc. in their safe for you should you suspect your valuables are not safe enough in your cabin. They will do this at no cost to you and you can retrieve your items any time the purser is at the desk, or you can have him summoned by service desk staff. Too late for this occurrence - but trusty future advice for anyone else reading about this unfortunate incident.

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Seems to me that a passport is awfully incriminating evidence, as might be the presence of both euros and dollars. That's one reason to leave some of the items behind. Also, a theft is a lot more obvious when everything is missing than when some of the items are missing.

It's such a sickening feeling when something like this happens -- a feeling that goes beyond the loss of the valuables. I sympathize with you.

Caribbean Travel Photos & Pictures
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

I, too, am sorry for your loss.
But, I cannot imagine leaving cash in the cabin anywhere but in the safe. If we did not know where the safe was located in the cabin, we most certainly would have taken our cash and passports with us or taken them to the purser's desk and had then put in their safe. Much better to be bothered carrying a purse around than to lose the valuables.
Call me cynical I guess, but as I have gotten older and have observed that there are fewer people you can trust, I just would not take that chance.
A loss of $500 would sure put a damper on the enjoyment of a cruise.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Admiral

I agree with Flamomo, you should NOT have left the money in your cabin unless you were willing to lose it. I only bring enough jewelry to wear on a cruise, so I never have to worry about it being "lost". It is a shame, but you could have asked where the safe was or taken it with you rather than just leaving it in a drawer....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 14th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Yeoman

It is a shame, but frankly, I can't imagine what you were thinking even having 500 dollars extra in cash ( you should have had travellers checks and charge cards) . You did say this 500 was in addition to tip money, so why have that much loose cash, especially on a cruise which is a cashless soiciety. Leaving it in a DRAWER, I mean really!!! I can only assume you have not travelled before. What you did was just plain old not right.

No one deserves to be ripped off, but, you did everything you could to make it likely to happen. Plus, since it was cash stolen , why should the cruiseline even take you word for how much was missing, I mean, you have no proof.

And , reporting it a week after the fact. I wonder, did you think the cruiseline would just give you the money back or what?

This isn't really a "cruise gripe" , it is the report of a very upsetting incident.

Just wondering, did you tip Cabin steward anyways, or did you assume his guilt and not tip?
It would be a difficult call.
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Beginner

Hi, I wonder did you report the incident on the ship before debarkation and if so, was it investigated e.g. did someone come to the cabin, conduct a check on your behalf and, I presume that the cabin had an electronic door lock (swipe card), if so did the responding person take an audit reading of the door to see if there was any unusual activity on embarkation day?
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunting
Hi, I wonder did you report the incident on the ship before debarkation and if so, was it investigated e.g. did someone come to the cabin, conduct a check on your behalf and, I presume that the cabin had an electronic door lock (swipe card), if so did the responding person take an audit reading of the door to see if there was any unusual activity on embarkation day?

Ahhhhh...some good points, especially the one abou the electronic door and auditing the key swipe. Really interested in the answer!
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Beginner

I had a friend and his wife have 700.00 stolen from the safe on the Celebrity Horizon. They treated all of us terrible (my sister and I were sailing with them in another cabin) The even wanted to search our cabin to see if they were hiding their cash in our room..they didn't point fingers at a staff member they pointed them at us...It took alot for me to ever sail on another Celebrity cruise, after being put thur that...

They never found their cash, and Celebrity gave them some some % off another cruise..(they never took them up on it...)
Old May 29th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Passenger

Dear Friends:

Important lesson....ALWAYS use your safe for anything of value! Find out where your safe is and make certain it is in operational condition as soon as you get to your cabin on Embarkation Day. Also, yes one would obviously consider Jewelry, money, Passports and whatnot to be items of value, but I would argue that for some of us, we carry another item of value that I have never heard mentioned on these boards, but should be locked up BOTH for safety and security from theft: NARCOTICS!!!

Only fortunately, there are dope heads out there that will steal the drugs you legitmately and rightfully need to fight chronic pain because they want to get "High". LOCK THEM UP!!! I had a bottle of Oxycontin stolen on our first cruise, my Companion and I were the only persons besides our steward with authorized access to our cabin, and yes, I made the same mistake and hid my drugs "in a drawer".

Take everyone elses advice...when in doubt, LOCK IT UP!!!

Brandt
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Beginner

Brandt -- Funny
Old September 23rd, 2006, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Default How about laptops????

What about securing your laptop? Obviously it won't fit into the safe.

I have not yet taken mine on a cruise, but I will be in February. When I am in a hotel room I either lock it to the desk with a security cable or else put it in my suitcase and lock the suitcase.

Any comments on securing a laptop or has anyone taken laptop and just left it out?
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Laptop storage

It won't be a secret any longer, but I "nest" my empty suitcases under the bed. I put the laptop in the smallest suitcase and lock it. A person would have to open three cases and break a lock to get to the laptop...it weighs so little, the cases still feel empty. Takes away the crime of opportunity...

Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have taken a laptop on about sixteen or seventeen cruises. I have yet to use some elaborate security measure for it. I am lucky enough to have more than one laptop and the one that I bring does not contain "the family secrets".

I have never had any issue with having it disturbed. The advice I would give is to not have it prominently displayed so that when the steward is cleaning the room, and your door is propped open, it is not easily grabbed by someone passing by.

Cash, passports, jewelry, narcotics, and any truly valuable items do go into the safe. Never leave any of these things anywhere besides the safe. Cash is the most tempting thing for people to grab.

If you feel your laptop is irreplaceable or contains highly confidential information I would advise that you do not travel with it on a cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me