Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Default NO MORE TOPLESS DECK ON SHIP "HOLIDAY"!

One big factor in sailing with Carnival last year (2005) was the adult topless area. This was a factor in re-booking the cruise this year (May 8th, 2006)! You can imagine our disappointment when we walked up to the sunning area and saw it had been turned into a putt-putt course! My wife and I and another couple that was with us was very upset. We did not let this ruin our trip. It did rest hard on our wife's minds every time they laid out on the regular deck watching the tan line appear! Thank the Lord we went to Play Del Carmen and was able to sun topless and remove the tan line that was forming from being on the ship!

I am sure there where many factors in Carnivals reason for this. One, I heard, was the area was not being used much. If that's true, that's fine, JUST SET ASIDE ANOTHER AREA! And by the way, we saw very few people using the putt-putt area the whole trip! There where at least 50-75 people using the adult area on our last trip!

This is going to play a big factor in us booking with Carnival again.
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

The Sensation, Estasy and Holiday all 3 added a putt-putt golf course to their ships, not sure if the others are following that idea.

Did the Holiday have Theatre by the pool area? (Giant screen TV)?

Paul
Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Familiar Face

No Large Screen in the Pool Area
Carnival Destiny 25Oct08 rm1120
Carnival Legend 30Sept07 rm6232 Great Balcony
Carnival Valor 10Sept06 rm1011
Carnival Holiday 08May06 rmE47
Commodore Enchanted Isle 09Sept98 rm465
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Hey, I never ventured up to the topless deck anyways, much less even knew it was up there. So, I won't miss it anyways..

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Awww, I guess I will just have to live with my tan lines and hope no one notices!!

Laura
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Just got off the Imagination last week and it still had the topless deck....thank god !!! I too do not like the tan lines and would be depressed if Carnival removed all their topless decks. They were several people on that deck when I was there.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:39 AM
First Mate

Default THE BEST PART OF A GREAT TAN????

THE WHITE PARTS
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Why not get rid of the tan lines before you cruise? You would actually get off a ship before it cruised because they don't have a topless deck? Sounds a bit twisted to me.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:43 AM
First Mate

If a topless or nude sundeck is your main criteria for a cruise line and without it, its not enjoyable. Then my friend, you have other, larger issues to address.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruise Guy
If a topless or nude sundeck is your main criteria for a cruise line and without it, its not enjoyable. Then my friend, you have other, larger issues to address.
You read way to much into what I wrote. Maybe I shouldn't have said "...main reason we book with carnival" and should have said it was just a BIG issue" It has nothing to do with any personal issues. It was just a gripe for the "gripe forum" which is what this thread is all about.

Examples of what I meant:

One who likes to drink alcoholic drinks may be disappointed, once on a ship where they enjoyed alcoholics drinks before, to find out they no longer serve alcohol. Not that they have any personal issues, it would just play a factor in their decision to book with that ship again.

If someone enjoys smoking, and they where allowed to smoke on a ship in the past, to board and find out they no longer allowed smoking anywhere on the ship, this would play a big factor in them booking with that ship again.

This is all I meant in my post. Also, like I did mention in my post, we did not let that ruin our trip. We had a very good time in everything else we did. We will sail with Carnaval again. All it was, was just a gripe and a suggestion to set aside another place on the ship for topless sunning.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Yeoman

Cruise guy, not a fair comment. If it was advertised as being there and then on arrival taken away, thats a Gripe or complaint. Dont let personal values of acceptability cloud the issue.

How many would complain if Jerry and whoevers ice cream parlour suddenly turned into a salad bar? Think about it.

People cruise for all their own reasons, if that was what was going to make a difference to this persons vacation. Then I'm sorry it was taken away from them.

As for naked breasts, I usually find that those that complain about them being on show have more personal issues to deal with than those that just accept it.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Quote:
As for naked breasts, I usually find that those that complain about them being on show have more personal issues to deal with than those that just accept it.
Counldn't have said it better myself! WOW! Everything is just a gripe unless it's about the topless deck. Then all of a sudden you are some twisted person.

Thanks for your reply.
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Why not get rid of the tan lines before you cruise? You would actually get off a ship before it cruised because they don't have a topless deck? Sounds a bit twisted to me.
That's the our point, she did not have tan lines BEFORE the cruise.

As far as being twisted,,,,read "DavidBgood" post above...
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Yeoman

AANR,,,,eh not sure how I should take that. Do you mean me being twisted?

Well, thats not news on here
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
AANR,,,,eh not sure how I should take that. Do you mean me being twisted?

Well, thats not news on here
NO NO NO! Not you. I was just asking that person to read your post above.
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Who's on first base??

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
Awww, I guess I will just have to live with my tan lines and hope no one notices!!

Laura
Or bet yet-use the fake tan stuff so you don't die from melanoma!
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to skyeofthestorm

Carnival already has PLENTY of stuff for kids onboard without adding stupid putt putt golf courses. That is SO 80's and passe! I know some adults like it too but surely there is SOMETHING better we can do with our time on a freaking cruise ship than that. How about a pool and sundeck area for Adults Only, for example? Those of us without kids shouldn't always have to be subjected to those who do, IMO.

Instead of catering to the adults it seems the lines all want to be like Disney lately.
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Interesting ... I usually find those complaining about not being able to show them are those who shouldn't be showing them at all! Gravity exacts its toll early on ...
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: NO MORE TOPLESS DECK ON SHIP "HOLIDAY"!

I have to agree with The Cruise Guy.
The OP wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AANR
We where so mad we almost walked off the ship and demanded our money back! Of course we didn't, but we (my wife and I and another couple that was with us) was very upset.
I don't think The Cruise Guy was reading anything into this post.
The poster quite clearly said he and his wife almost walked off the ship and demanded their money back -- because there was no topless deck!
It seems to be a drastic reaction.

I love ice cream, but when the freezers broke on the cruise ship I was on, and there was no more ice cream [or whipped cream] ... it didn't occur to me to walk off the ship and demand my money back.

There is disappointment ... and then there is overreacting to something.
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Interesting ... I usually find those complaining about not being able to show them are those who shouldn't be showing them at all! Gravity exacts its toll early on ...
LMAO!!! truer words were never spoken!
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Passenger

I have to take exception to the comment suggesting that women who have less than commercially-ideal bodies and breasts "shouldn't be showing them at all". I suspect that the author of this comment has never spent much time outside of the US, because in most other parts of the world, the REAL female body is displayed publicly when sunning and swimming without shame. This is purely about COMFORT in the sun and water and for most women has nothing to do with "showing" anything. If you spend a day at a European or Australian beach you will see naked breasts, bellies, and thighs of every size, orientation, color, and description. No one is concerned about trying to look like a celebrity - these women are comfortable in their own skins.

And so should we be here in the US. It's not like the shape of a body or breast is really that different in a bathing suit. It's still obvious who is small, who is saggy, who is fat, who is uneven, etc.. But uncover the nipples and all of a sudden everyone freaks out and acts like there are breasts on the scene that weren't there before. Let's grow up, people.
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:22 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeofthestorm
I have to take exception to the comment suggesting that women who have less than commercially-ideal bodies and breasts "shouldn't be showing them at all". I suspect that the author of this comment has never spent much time outside of the US, because in most other parts of the world, the REAL female body is displayed publicly when sunning and swimming without shame. This is purely about COMFORT in the sun and water and for most women has nothing to do with "showing" anything. If you spend a day at a European or Australian beach you will see naked breasts, bellies, and thighs of every size, orientation, color, and description. No one is concerned about trying to look like a celebrity - these women are comfortable in their own skins.

And so should we be here in the US. It's not like the shape of a body or breast is really that different in a bathing suit. It's still obvious who is small, who is saggy, who is fat, who is uneven, etc.. But uncover the nipples and all of a sudden everyone freaks out and acts like there are breasts on the scene that weren't there before. Let's grow up, people.
It always comes back to the "puritanical American" argument. When you read threads where men post about "needing a bib for their drool" when they go to the *funnel* deck then tell me how it's not supposed to be taken as purely prurient. My former boss used to come back from his trips to St. Maartin complaining about all of the "old and flabby" people at the nude beach (he was describing himself but didn't see it that way). I've seen posts from men complaining about "saggy" women on the topless deck and how they shouldn't be there, so how are women not supposed to see it as little more than giving jollies to old men and pre-teen boys. And it's rarely the women who get worked up about an exposed nipple. It wasn't a woman who *draped* Lady Justice in Washington because her nipple was showing...
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Passenger

My response is "so what if pubeless teenage boys (and some pitiable drooling men) want to act like idiots when they see a nipple?" It doesn't mean that their idiot behavior has to influence women who deserve nothing less than freedom to be themselves, perfect parts, saggy parts, and all. Allowing moronic attitudes to actually have influence on you is giving the moron control over your personal choices. That just doesn't make sense.

I'd like to see the women take a handle on this thing and stop allowing these men to make them feel like they should feel ashamed of themselves.
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Outside the US being the most important point ...

The pax on the ships we are talking about are mostly American ... not accustomed to looking at breasts on display as a common sight.
Thus, you have the attraction to the topless deck of a certain segment of the population that is looking for titillation .. so to speak.

On European beaches and on some Caribbean beaches [yes! I've been outside the States!] the sight of a topless sunbather would not faze beachgoers. You don't see a gathering of drooling, juvenile-behaving men.
However, on a cruise ship ...

As far as those who enjoy being leered at ... well ... as I said, those I've seen most driven to this form of self-exhibitionism [oh, no, it's because of the tan lines!] are those who need a boost. If you get my drift.
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Passenger

If there is a designated area for topless sunbathing and one chooses to go then that alone does not make that person an exhibitionist. One cannot allow leering idiots to sway a basic sense of self-acceptance. I also think that no one should be judged by another to be "in need" of plastic surgery or lifts. Plastic surgery is for people/women who want to improve part of themselves by personal choice, not for "fixing" all women so that they may be held to some particular (arbitrary) standard that they themselves don't even embrace.

Last time I checked, nearly all cruise ships leave the US, which is why American cruisers need to rethink this Puritanical view of the female breast. Cruisers travel abroad in order to expand their awareness of the world and the people in it. Let's start that expansion onboard.
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
My response is "so what if pubeless teenage boys (and some pitiable drooling men) want to act like idiots when they see a nipple?" It doesn't mean that their idiot behavior has to influence women who deserve nothing less than freedom to be themselves, perfect parts, saggy parts, and all. Allowing moronic attitudes to actually have influence on you is giving the moron control over your personal choices. That just doesn't make sense.

I'd like to see the women take a handle on this thing and stop allowing these men to make them feel like they should feel ashamed of themselves.
Trust me, I don't let morons control me (ok, maybe I do but thankfully there's another election in '08 ) Women can be completely comfortable in their skin without needing to "let it all hang out".
For those who need/desire clothing optional situations, more power to them. Just because women choose to wear bathing suits is not an indication of low self-esteem. I am COMPLETELY free to be myself, fully clothed or not! We're told not to assume that topless women are exhibitionists so, in fairness, don't assume that women wearing clothes or swimsuits have body image issues.
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
If there is a designated area for topless sunbathing and one chooses to go then that alone does not make that person an exhibitionist. One cannot allow leering idiots to sway a basic sense of self-acceptance. I also think that no one should be judged by another to be "in need" of plastic surgery or lifts. Plastic surgery is for people/women who want to improve part of themselves by personal choice, not for "fixing" all women so that they may be held to some particular (arbitrary) standard that they themselves don't even embrace.

Last time I checked, nearly all cruise ships leave the US, which is why American cruisers need to rethink this Puritanical view of the female breast. Cruisers travel abroad in order to expand their awareness of the world and the people in it. Let's start that expansion onboard.
Wouldn't it be pretty to have a perfect world???

Oh, my, yes! Cruise ships do, indeed, leave the States and travel in international waters to other countries! Gosh, I must have forgotten that!

No, wait ... the ship itself is its own little entity, populated mostly by Americans.
Pretty much all the pax speak English and live in the States. And even though they are calling on other countries, they don't check their values, customs, ideas or behaviors on the way out of the USA.

Visiting St. Barts is not going to make them more cosmopolitan.

Wait!!! Does this mean that some American women could visit ports that will influence them so they'll wear burqas?
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Of course I do not assume that people who choose to wear bathing suits have body issues! That would make me nothing short of ignorant, which I'm sure you didn't mean to imply. I personally choose to wear a bathing suit as I am a more modest person. That is not the issue. The issue is freedom of choice and active dismissal of people who want to judge others on the basis of body shape.
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
No one is concerned about trying to look like a celebrity - these women are comfortable in their own skins.
I was in no way implying that you are ignorant but from your statement above I took your meaning to be that if you "are comfortable in your own skin" then you are comfortable being topless/nude. My point to you was that one does not require the other. I hope you can see where my point of reference came from