Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
First Mate

Default A GRIPE ANSWERED!!!

First night, Galaxy. Table for 8. All strangers. Last couple arrives,, he has on his baseball cap. Leaves it on. Service begins. Ass't Maidtre D' asks him to REMOVE his cap!!!! (quietly and professioanlly)

YEAH!!!!!!!!!

He did. They never came back into the dining room.

It was a wonderful cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Admiral

I am a bit confused. You are implying that this couple were not worth knowing because he wore a cap into the dining room and that not dining with them made your cruise wonderful?

Perhaps they felt the same way about you.

Old May 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wearing your hat at the table it not good manners. I learned that one living on the farm as a young boy. However, just because someone didn't take it off doesn't mean they weren't worth getting to know. Perhaps they were too embarrassed to come back. If they acted like a jerk for being asked to remove it then that's another story.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I've noticed that it seems very common for men to leave baseball caps on no matter where they are. My first thought is that they just forget its on thier head. My next thought is... they must be having a bad hair day to want to keep that on all day long. I'll just chalk it up to a different generation.

I hope the guy was pleasant after the hat came off. I'm sure the couple would have been perfectly nice but the guy may not have been comfortable without his hat on. Thats too bad.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Admiral

maybe he was having cancer treatments and was losing his hair or had some other physical problem that he was embarrassed about ?

most men don't wear hats at the dinner table (especially if they are with their wives who won't allow it), so don't judge at first blush, there may be other issues
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to emjsea Send a message via Yahoo to emjsea

I'm glad to an example of the cruise lines enforcing the rules. I only wish it was the rule and not the exception.

--------------------
2006 ATLANTIS, RCCL, Navigator of the Seas
2005 Costa, Mediterranea
2004 Carnival, Imagination
2003 Carnival, Imagination
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Agreed, emjsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjsea
I'm glad to an example of the cruise lines enforcing the rules. I only wish it was the ule and not the exception.
The cruiselines DO need to enforce the rules, and be consistent about it.
For those who feel the guy had a reason for keeping the cap on, I can understand your thinking. But it goes back to displaying good manners AND complying with rules.
If he had a valid medical reason, he could have briefly explained it to the tablemates as well as the waiter, and asked permission to keep it on. I doubt that his request would have been denied. Generally, people are pretty compassionate and understanding.
"Bad hair day" is not an adequate excuse.
Since that did not happen, then, unfortunately, having to be embarrassed will serve as a lesson in manners.

Do I need my fire extinguisher set up next to the computer?
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Wearing a cap or hat at the dinner table is bad manners period and shows a certain lack of class. If someone has a medical condition that should warrant wearing a cap or hat, they could briefly advise the other diners as to a problem and I'm sure people would certainly understand.
It's not exactly that someone wearing a cap at dinner isn't worthy of knowing, but if they have any self respect and manners, they wouldn't do it to begin with and by doing so, are basically advertising that they don't have any respect for anyone else, their spouse or themselves.

Would belching, passing gas, picking your nose and slurping your soup from the bowl be ok too ?

Go ahead and shoot at me. I can handle it. But I'm right.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Passenger

I'm with you all...no manners. In my opion a ball cap should always be taken off inside. Sorry, that's the way I was brought up and I really am not that old! Also, bad hair day...sorry that doesn't cut it. A shower before dinner would take 5 minutes for most of the guys I know.
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Admiral

I really do agree with you guys.. I just didn't want to put it that way.

It's also possible that the guy just didn't know that it was bad manners to leave his hat on. I know... *GASP* but think about it.

Unless your raised that it is bad manners then you wouldn't know.

Many kids only go to fast food places for "dinner". I know many people who never cook at home much less eat dinner as a family. Where do you learn what's bad manner or table edicate when you don't practice it at home?

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Passenger

It sounds to me like he decided it was more important to wear his cap than come to dinner in the dining room. That's his choice.

I also agree that if he had some medical reason to wear a cap, everyone would have understood, though it seems to me there are nicer hats to wear than a baseball cap. Women who lose their hair due to chemotherapy often wear all sorts of wigs, scarves, and hats but would unlikely choose a baseball cap for dinner.

Caribbean Travel Photos & Pictures
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Captain

Maybe the cruise lines are listening to all the gripes about not enforcing dress codes. On our last Princess and NCL cruise I overheard the maitre' de advise people of the dress code, as they were in violation. In both cases it was done politely and professionally and it was done before the people were seated so it was not in front of table mates.

I have seen baseball caps all too often in the dining room and more so one one line than others, but it is refreshing to know that finally the rules are being enforced.

If you want an anything goes dress code that's fine, just say so. If you want a dress code then enforce it. Pick one, but be consistent.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Passenger

I don't have a problem with the enforcement of the rules but the way it was originally posted here shows just about the same lack of taste...to applaud that they were embarassed and also that they never came back is sad.....why do we assume all the bad things about a person and applaud someones mishaps ...the waiter should have been discreet about it and avoided any embarassment for all....How sad that one couples' cruise was tainted by a rude waiter and how sad that it is being applauded here...

We are soon going on our first cruise and I hope that we don't embarass ourselves in any way...my husband wears a stetson...most of the time...occasionally I have to remind him to remove it when it is not proper to have it on....I hope he doesn't forget to remove it in the dining room and even more...I hope I don't have to read you all high 5ing each other because someone made a faux pas on the cruise...
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
Maybe the cruise lines are listening to all the gripes about not enforcing dress codes. On our last Princess and NCL cruise I overheard the maitre' de advise people of the dress code, as they were in violation. In both cases it was done politely and professionally and it was done before the people were seated so it was not in front of table mates.

I have seen baseball caps all too often in the dining room and more so one one line than others, but it is refreshing to know that finally the rules are being enforced.

Quote:
If you want an anything goes dress code that's fine, just say so. If you want a dress code then enforce it. Pick one, but be consistent

Let's hope cruiselines don't opt for an "anything goes" dress code. Can you imagine what we might see in the dining rooms? Truly scary!

Actually, the majority of PAX dress appropriately.

However, if there were no dress code, I wonder how many would wear inappropriate attire. Lack of a dress code could leave it open to each PAXs preference and for a few, their desire for comfort comes before anything else.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Admiral

DirtDobber: If you read the post by author Texasmunk...you will notice that it says," Ass't Maidtre D' asks him to REMOVE his cap!!!! (quietly and professioanlly)"

What did you want the Maidtre D' to do, first ask him to step outside and THEN tell him to remove his cap? Would that have been more discreet ?
Or maybe whisper in his ear? (while the rest of the group looks on and wonders whats wong)

I mean the guy was sitting there out in the open with a cap on...it's not like it was a secret. It' like trying to hide an elephant in your living room.

We all want to support the underdog...but we need something to work with!
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Passenger

On our recent cruise on Carribean Princess, the only sour note was a lady loudly complaining about what everyone else was wearing. One faux pas is as bad as another.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Admiral

He was just doing his job. If the offending man had read his cruise documents and brochures he would have known not to wear a baseball cap into the dining rooms during dinner hours.
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

A dress code "suggestion" was finally enforced. Beautiful!
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:56 PM
First Mate

I have a couple of questions here. Not trying to argue or anything, but just curious.

1) Does the dress code for the dining room specifically mention hats or baseball caps? I know each cruiseline has these things written up slightly differently.

2) Would you still have the same opinion if he had been wearing a tophat, fedora, etc.?

I do know that its generally considered impolite to wear a hat indoors, except when it is required for safety or other reasons. I am just curious what the real objection was.

Have a nice day!

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Passenger

As far as I know, the top hat or fedora is supposed to come off at the table as well.

--------------------
2005 Costa, Mediterranea
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Admiral

I haven't really ever noticed, but do women still wear hats indoors? If so, they should also be politely informed to remove their hats.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
I haven't really ever noticed, but do women still wear hats indoors? If so, they should also be politely informed to remove their hats.
I'll answer your sarcastic question with a non-sarcastic response. Women are allowed to wear hats indoors. Don't like the answer? Feel free to start your own society and culture. Enjoy the buffet!

--------------------
2005 Costa, Mediterranea
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:45 PM
First Mate

Oh Oh Paul, I guess now woman will want us to put the toilet seats down. Oh my god, whats this world comming to. And her second remark about our own society and culture. WE HAD IT--- AND THEY RUINED IT.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
1) Does the dress code for the dining room specifically mention hats or baseball caps? I know each cruiseline has these things written up slightly differently.
Yes, most of the cruise lines say "no baseball caps" in the dining room for dinner.

Quote:
2) Would you still have the same opinion if he had been wearing a tophat, fedora, etc.?
Well, it depends on who is wearing these. Some men, because of their religion, keep their head covered. Some of them wear a fedora, but most of them wear a small yarmulke, (or kippa) and no one really notices.

Quote:
I do know that its generally considered impolite to wear a hat indoors, except when it is required for safety or other reasons. I am just curious what the real objection was.
Men are not supposed to wear hats indoors, women can . Women are also allowed to keep their hats on during the singing of the National Anthem ! It's an etiquette rule, and who can say why???

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Admiral

I think that women also invented the necktie. That way, a man could wear it and be uncomfortable. If he refused, they would strangle him with it.

The next thing, they will tell a man it is improper to wear a bra, though I have seen some men who needed one.
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:28 AM
First Mate

Default When I posted this thread....

I was hoping Paul b would be out there...
I was not disappointed. Nope, the man smiled at the maitre D', removed the hat, had pleasant conversation, no one at the table said or did anything to make him uncomfortable after the hat was removed.
His choice....probably could not stand the other 6 people at his table and chose the buffet for the rest of the cruise.

Heck, let us not forget, those that follow the dress code are probably always wrong according to some folks while the guy in the flip-flops, cut offs, Cozumel T-shirt and baseball cap (probably wearing it backwards) must always be defended by Paul B.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Admiral

to answer your question about women wearing hats indoors. That goes way back in our culture when a lady was not considered to be properly dressed unless she wore a hat, and gloves, and beside that, most ladies hairdos are styled into and pinned into their hats.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Munk, old buddy. I have never seen the person you describe in the dining room in the evening, although, I must confess, I look at what is on my plate rather than at the other passengers. Good taste is what is in the food.

I do believe that the vast majority of the passengers on cruise ships pretty much follow the suggested rules, whatever they may be. I dd notice that the latest brochure I have from Princess makes no mention of hats for either men or women in the dining room and refers only to not wearing cutoff jeans on casual nights. RCI also makes no mention of hats and refers to the wearing of slacks or trousers. Carnival refers to the wearing of casual resort wear on non formal nights and makes no mention of caps or jeans. I don't know about Celebrity's suggested attire.

I guess that it is ok to wear caps, though I really can't see why any man would want to do so inside and out of the sun. I have never worn jeans so I don't really know if certain jeans can be viewed as trousers.

Again, I don't feel that you can measure the true worth of a person by wealth, status or what they wear.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Yep - you don't wear a baseball cap to a table. Obviously the guy felt embarrassed & didn't want to come back.

I'm happy this was done. Bravo!!!!