Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Passenger

i am cruising on november 5th and was just thinking this ------- why are we always in a hurry to be the first on board at the beginning of the cruise? its always a hurry up and wait game. true, it is exciting to get on board and get out to sea, but i will be on the ship for 7 days so think this time will take my time boarding. anyone feel the same?
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Yeoman

I think a lot of people are in a hurry because they want to be settled and truly start their vacations!

They may have been up since 5 a.m., driving or flying to the port. They may have made a long trip via bus from another city in Florida.

Maybe they're wearing clothes for a colder climate, and they want to change into something comfortable.

I don't feel like my vacation starts until I am aboard the ship.
I have a 1.5-hour drive to the port, then off-load the luggage, stand in line for however long it takes to check in, lug my carry-ons with me ... I am anxious to get on board, get a seat in the Lido and relax with a boat drink!
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Passenger

Fruitcake, well said! hadnt thought of those reasons for boarding as soon as possible. it is hard to resist those drinks of the day that they greet you with and the thought of lounging on the deck! ok. that's it. im going to wait in line with my fellow cruisers and board as soon as i can. lol happy cruising to all.
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:57 PM
First Mate

I'm in complete agreement with Fruitcake. We fly to the port the day before and are up and ready early on sailing day. We try to get to the pier before the doors open and we try to be unpacked and ready to have fun before the lifeboat drill. I agree--our vacation begins as soon as we're relaxing and having our first boat drink!
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Admiral

I agree with Fruitcake!

We have to travel quite a distance to the Ports...but we can't wait to get on board the ship to truly start our vacation. Doesn't even matter if we stay at a nice Motel the night before and breakfast is included....we get up early anyway...and head to Port...we know it's silly...but
1. Our cabin is waiting
2. We WANT to eat in the Lido/Windjammer/etc.
3. We can't wait to stand on our veranda and watch everyone else board...
4. We know it'll be hours before we leave Port...
But....it doesn't matter....we can't wait!!!!

Old October 1st, 2006, 04:26 PM
Yeoman

All 100% agreed, but you can only do it so many times, "the line". Yes I've been there in line when some folks that are actually still on the ship have not even got out of bed yet!!!!. That’s frustrating, I just want on.

So..and this is really hard to do, I now aim for the later times to go on board, and usually we just walk through, including no Q's at check in etc etc.

So no matter where I am in the world prior to boarding, we have a late breakfast, wander about the port, and then when we feel the massive, have done the pain of Q lines, we go onboard.

No-one is going to steal your cabin.....its going to be there 3 hours later and without all the pain to get to it!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
All 100% agreed, but you can only do it so many times, "the line". Yes I've been there in line when some folks that are actually still on the ship have not even got out of bed yet!!!!. That’s frustrating, I just want on.

So..and this is really hard to do, I now aim for the later times to go on board, and usually we just walk through, including no Q's at check in etc etc.

So no matter where I am in the world prior to boarding, we have a late breakfast, wander about the port, and then when we feel the massive, have done the pain of Q lines, we go onboard.

No-one is going to steal your cabin.....its going to be there 3 hours later and without all the pain to get to it!
My head knows your right....but right now...as I write this...in my heart...I know that as soon as we see the ship...we're in line!!!!! Maybe after we've cruised a bit longer we'll be more casual about boarding.

The key for us might be to plan to do something in the morning before we board? Maybe a little shopping or a small tour? A fun distraction might help.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Fieldmouse,
For me, even a morning distraction wouldn't work. I can't help it. My vacation starts when I board the ship and I love it so much that every minute counts. 35 cruises has not changed my attitude a smidgeon. I'm still like a kid at Christmas the day we sail.
Marty
Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Fieldmouse,
For me, even a morning distraction wouldn't work. I can't help it. My vacation starts when I board the ship and I love it so much that every minute counts. 35 cruises has not changed my attitude a smidgeon. I'm still like a kid at Christmas the day we sail.
Marty
Marty: Yup...I was afraid of that! When we see the ship...it's like 'love at first sight'...

On one cruise, our Hotel was right near the Port...It was a really nice Hotel, breakfast included...a spa..the works...but from our window we could see our ship arrive in Port, she looked so beautiful! ...Sooooooo, rather than slowly packing and having a nice breakfast...we rushed to get to the Port...WHY???? We had plenty of time....We just can't help it!
Glad we're not alone!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
First Mate

I'm so glad in a group of "can't wait to get on board" folks. It is true - when I awake the moring of the cruise (I always arrive a day early and try to get hotel by the port) I just can't contain my overwhelming desire to be on that ship!

Next cruise is January 6th and for those traveling on the Liberty, I'll try not to tip anyone over trying to get on board.

Mary
2003 Carnival Triumph
2004 Carnival Conquest
2005 Carnival Valor
2005 Carnival Spirit
2006 Carnival Valor
2007 Carnival Liberty
2007 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Freedom

2009 Royal Caribbean Grandeur
Old October 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via MSN to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via Yahoo to fl_tpa_1956male

I wish you people wouldn't post so much on this topic. I am in a hurry to get to the end of the thread!
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Passenger

I know that some people will be embarrassed when their lack of manners is pointed out. However, more and more people are getting very brazen.

I take a commuter bus to work. In the afternoon, there are usually a lot of people yakking it up on the cell phone. Yesterday, a woman asked the person next to her to please lower her voice. The person she asked, well-dressed, professional attire, screamed "*&#k you!" and proceeded to talk every louder just to annoy people.

Being a polite society, we just sat there.
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstrachan
I know that some people will be embarrassed when their lack of manners is pointed out. However, more and more people are getting very brazen.

I take a commuter bus to work. In the afternoon, there are usually a lot of people yakking it up on the cell phone. Yesterday, a woman asked the person next to her to please lower her voice. The person she asked, well-dressed, professional attire, screamed "*&#k you!" and proceeded to talk every louder just to annoy people.

Being a polite society, we just sat there.

That wasn’t just being impolite, it was an outright verbal attack!

I was sitting in my car recently, waiting at a stoplight. A car pulled up in the left lane next to mine, there were two young men in it. I looked over as they pulled-up, the passenger smiled, and immediately raised his right hand which was in the shape of a gun and pulled back his finger like he was firing the trigger. He made the POWWWWW! sound with his lips...

The light turned green and they took off, but I was in shock and for a second or two I couldn't move.

OK...OK...I know this guy was just fooling around, but his smiling calmness while he ACTED OUT random violence just floored me!
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Yeoman

I just love real and life postings, so can I ask a question. 8) As people we meet these individuals everday. WHY should some people expect some people to be different when they stay in your hotel or just happen to be on your ship?

See I dont get it, why do some people expect a certain or different social attitude from between 200 - 4,000 people as they "must be differnet". simply because you and they are on a ship.

Last I heard they do not do background checks or doctor reports on any persons ability or social behaviour before ALL of us go on ship. And no one says. "Sail this group together as they are all of the same mind set"
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
And no one says. "Sail this group together as they are all of the same mind set"
good point David, my question is would people really want to, or enjoy sailing with 200 to 3000 people who are exactly alike ???
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Admiral

We’re not looking for people to be 'exactly' alike...we are looking for similarities, a common ground to start a conversation...perhaps a friendship.

Most of us enjoy variety in friends and in life, BUT you need a base; a foundation to start with...some sort of commonality. It can be work, similar family background, education, sports or music...

When we chose a cruise line...(which we have talked about extensively here) we are looking for a 'base' passenger draw with similarities to us. (NOT LIKE US!)

This is why some passengers at certain stages of their life find they now prefer HAL or Princess cruises...while other’s with children or young couples prefer Carnival, RCCI or Disney.

Other passengers prefer the more expensive Windstar or Crystal cruises. It’s not because they’re snobs, although some may be, but because they like being around people with the same ‘mindset’.

That said, I guess we are all hoping that in 'finding' the perfect passenger base...this would increase our chances of 'good' passenger interaction'! But the reality is, good manners and courtesy seem to going the way of the ‘Passenger Pigeon’ (no pun intended) at all levels of society.

We are ever hopeful of better!
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

I believe that David’s point was that social attitude on board ship are no different than what you would find in everyday life on land, a statement that I very much agree with. I only questioned the idea of a large group (majority) of people with the same “mind set? having a good time. I am sure that this might seem like a good idea on paper, but there is no way that “I? could enjoy a cruise like that.

How do you determine how similar or how much common ground you need before you have a conversation?

What are the chances of meeting anyone from another country that you may have anything in common with? A country with different sports base, different music base, and a work force that may not have anything similar to what you are accustomed.

How many of the other passengers with the same “mindset? would be required before the environment becomes comfortable?

A boat load of people like myself would be a pretty dull place, who would get up on stage to take part in the newly wed, not so newly wed game or hairy chest/legs contest. I would have no one to watch.

With that said, be ever hopeful of better! Just be careful of what you wish for.

The perfect passenger base, could easily be defined as a ship load of blond haired, blue eyed people all of the same height and weight, speaking the same language and salute when they say the name of their leader.
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Please re-read my post...

I think you will find that I was not referring to 'same thinking, social or economic status'.

I was attempting to make a 'general comment' about manners. A 'boat load of people' with the same mind set on 'manners and courtesy'...that isn't boring! The commonality of good manners and respect for others is actually a solid bases for pleasant passenger interaction no matter your background or education, and can even cover over some cultural faux pas.

Of course the comment about the differences in cruise lines might have been a bit confusing...sorry about that...

You asked, “How do I determine how similar or how much common ground I need before I have a conversation??

The one requirement that I have for a good conversation is, every other word NOT BE a curse word!

Oh...and they don't spit on me when they talk...
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Yeoman

Great stuff....love it, proper debate and discussion.

Actually my post was only saying that in life you never find ALL those around you act and do as to your personal expections. So knowing that what do we do?...live with it and get on with our own lifes.

So my "thing" above was about the complainers regarding cruising and if they go down the line of "too many children", "people dont dress properly".."people drinking buckets of beer all day"......whatever and so what?.

Just do your own thing and let them get on with it.... as you would do at home. And like home, you are not going to change it or them, so don't stress yourself. Take a chance and pick a line or ship as suggested by the guys that may offer a higher chance of finding people that think more like you. But there is guarantee on that, never will be, why because we are all individuals with individual thought process.

And we are either open to "acceptance" in the case of well you just get on with it and at the same time I will do my thing. Or you sit and stew because "these people" should not be behaving like this, take that road and all you will do is waste your vacation, and raise your blood pressure. its a no winner
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Also, each sailing on each ship on each line is somewhat different. I've noticed it and had ship's employees say the same. Every cruise has a different mix of people and a different "personality". You can increase your odds of finding the mix that you want by choosing cruise line and itinerary, but it is still partly just random luck. So, you might as well go with the attitude that you will appreciate whomever you meet and have a good time whatever happens..
Marty
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:06 PM
First Mate

I agree with Fieldmouse, manners are manners were ever you are and I just won't associate with those that have none. No matter what their financial, economic or historicle background may be. For instance, you meet your tablemates the first night. One man who is very distinguised looking keeps picking his nose at the dinner table. Another man who appears middle class passes gas frequbtly and thinks it funny or the women who is constantly talking with her mouth full with pieces of food spitting out on the table. By your thinking, am I supposed to sit there and try to enjoy my dinner with this disgusting behavior, NO, I will ask to be moved to another table. If bad manners or habits affect me and my enjoyment of the cruise, I will do something about it. I choose to gather about people who are courteous, well mannerd AND SOBER. I can find these people on ANY cruiseline. And if this statement qualifies me as a snob, so be it. There are many many people who think this way. They are not wrong or snobish. They just want a pleasent cruise.
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Yeoman

Problem is you cant pick them, the people you are going to cruise and dine with, you may not like them or their habits but thats just tough 8).

Its a cruise... not a club
Old December 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
First Mate

David, your wrong, you CAN pick them or dine by youself. Done it before and we can do it again. Its really simple to have your table changed if your not happy with your tablemates. As for other places on the ship, its easy to find people with manners.

Remember David, good manners are universal. It dos'ent take a brain surgen to say your please and thankyous. Some people are just plain rude with no social graces (loud and obnoxious) and I do not have to accept them. I just need to move on to another table or area of the ship.

However, I can tolerate them (as long as there out of earshot and sight).
Old December 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Yeoman

Sorry, but you are wrong unless when dining you are going to have interviews for those you sit with in advance.

So what are you saying, first night you dont like the table. SO you ask the M'D to move you, and you just moved up the lottery, its his call not yours where you sit next

Are you going to do that every night of the cruise until you find the "perfect table" for you. If you do that, then that says more about you, than those you leave behind!

Take the formal table and talk to people, as you as a passenger cannot pick or choose unless you do buffet everynight and turn up walking round to find a table with your "mates"
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:41 PM
First Mate

In answer to your question. Yes, I would do that every night if I was seated with loud, obnoxious, rude drunks. It really is a small amount of those type of persons. My other alternative is to request a table for two. This works also. The M'D has never tuned me down or dissapointed me. Maybe that does say something about me, I like good manners, so what.
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Admiral

You don't reward bad behavior or bad manners!

By doing nothing you are compromising YOUR standards...in effect saying, 'My standards don't count...and your bad behavior, bad manners are acceptable'.

We don't have to make a scene, be rude or cruel, but we can change tables at the very least!
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:18 AM
First Mate

Thank you Fieldmouse, my thoughts exactly. But I guess in some peoples minds that makes us snobs. So be it.
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Yeoman

Okay in some ways I agree, but it would have to be really bad for me to ask for a table change.

Maybe I just accept people far too much for what they are and I go with the flow and based on..... I dont have to see them again or live in their life. After all its only a meal...... Its not important

But I too have my acceptable standards but getting into this table diving every other night around the dining room is not my thing, fine if its yours. But I have met people on cruise who request table changes, simply because:

Someone has an accent that they do not understand
Everyone else talks and we cannot get a word in
Socially we have nothing in common with these people
We keep getting asked questions about us

So if you are like that then I see your point but dont agree, why not ask for a table for one or two in the first place as said and do not allow yourself get involved in the "table" lottery.

As the chances of finding that perfect table for you in the first place must be pretty slim as you have a pre expection of strangers and their values and even before someone open's their mouth...some "fellow diners" start to tick boxes regarding do I want to be here or not, and thats wrong.

But I will agree on one thing, if there is a pain in the ass "drunk" on my table, then thats my trigger to move
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:05 PM
First Mate

Thanks David your on the mark 100%, thats what we have been trying to tell you all along.
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Admiral

I have been on 23 cruises and have never had a situation where I could not stand my dinner companions. Instead, I have enjoyed hearing about their various experience and opinions.

The same applies to those I have encountered at the buffet, at tea, in the show room or on the deck. I only wish that society as a whole and nations in their relations to each other could be as pleasant. I really enjoy meeting people from other countries or circumstances.

Cerainly there will be a small percentage of rude or pushy people on a cruise ship, but things are what they are and always will be, whatever that means.

David, please save a place for me at your table and I will promiseto be nice.

Live and let live or you might die too soon frrom an overdose of stress..