Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with standing up for yourself to a point. I use a wheelchair or scooter but can walk a little bit.
I went into home depot, as you know very large place. in THIS home depot they keep the scooter right next to the return desk. There was a line for the return desk which started about ten feet back from the actual desk, I preceded to head for the scooter, which has nothing to do with waiting in line to get, and this man, said Lady get the F to the back of the line.
I was so flabergasted I couldn't speak. I set off on foot to find my husband and almost collapsed.
Moral is be sure someone is trampling on your rights before you take them to task.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Admiral

A man..in public..told you, a lady, to get the F back in line?
Did ANYONE in the line say ANYTHING to the clod?
I LOVE when those oppurtunities are available to me!!
Chivalry is not dead.
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Admiral

This happen to me in our Bank.

My husband when in the Bank first to stand in line. (Our Bank is always busy.) I finished my cell phone call and went in a few minutes later.

When I walked in...he already had advanced up in the line towards the Tellers and there was now a number of people waiting behind him...so as I walked past them toward the front where my husband was standing...a woman grabbed my arm and hissed..."Where do you think you're going? The end of the line is back there!"

I just looked down at her hand which was clutching MY arm and said..."Lady, you have just assaulted me". She immediately dropped her hand and her jaw...and then I added, “I was going to stand next to my husband, who IS up there!"

As her nervous tension built while waiting, she saw me moving forward and assumed that I was cutting in line. She was very wrong and sorry, etc...but she had NO RIGHT to put her hands on me...that's a physical assault and I let her know it. I don't think she will ever do that again. People need to remember their boundaries! If they can’t...we need to remind them in a calm firm manner.

You see, this woman could have smiled and said, “Excuse me...but the end of the line is back there.? This would have given me the opportunity to explain, “Oh yes I know, but my husband is UP there?. We’d smile...no harm done.

We all enjoy being the recipient of good manners. When someone says, Thank you; Please; Excuse me; we feel appreciated and it can smooth over any rough spots if a situation is tense or uncomfortable.

I’ll be the first to admit that it takes constant effort now days to show good manners, especially when most of the people we interact with may not. But we'll not lower our standards because it easier or more expedite.
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Dan,

I agree! We men need to protect our women folks..afterall they are the gender and not able to stand up for themselves..right?
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Thanks Rick.

Fieldmouse, sorry, grabbing your arm is not assault. Take it down a bit.
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Passenger

actually it is more a case of "simple battery"

(a) A person commits the offense of simple battery when he
1-14 or she either:

1-15 (1) Intentionally makes physical contact of an insulting
1-16 or provoking nature with the person of another; or

1-17 (2) Intentionally causes physical harm to another.

(taken from the Ga code)
I think this woman's behavior can easilly be seen as insulting or provacative asn as such it would it would constitute a misdemeanor .
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
A man..in public..told you, a lady, to get the F back in line?
Did ANYONE in the line say ANYTHING to the clod?
I LOVE when those oppurtunities are available to me!!
Chivalry is not dead.
I am with you!
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Thanks Rick.

Fieldmouse, sorry, grabbing your arm is not assault. Take it down a bit.
Hummmmm...let's see, had it been you walking and a man grabbed your arm and jerked you backwards with a provacative comment...how would you have reacted? Would you have just smiled and waited to see what he was going to do next? Or would you have warned him take his hands off of you in a firm manner?

Had it been your wife or girlfriend, and a complete stranger, a woman OR man grabbed her by the arm in an unprovoked gesture...and you saw the incident, how would you react? Unconcerned? Or would you react quickly, making it clear they need to 'back off'! Remenber, this is a stranger, you don't know what they're thinking or if the situation is going to escalate. You need to let them know quickly you are in command of yourself and the situation. (that is...if you are!)

Since I'm a woman, and it was ONLY a woman who grabbed my arm, should I have felt less threaten as she tighten her grip?

I think not...A strange woman grabs my arm, jerks me backwards without any provocation! She dosen't know me and I certainly didn't know her.

Again, certainly for my safety, and hers too...she needed to be reminded that she has no right to put her hands on anyone without their permission, especially when it could lead to a potentially volatilel situation.

You are right in this respect...we should chose our battles wisely...not over-reacting to every little thing...BUT women especially need to be careful not to UNDER-REACT when they feel uncomfortable or threaten.
Old January 25th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Admiral

ok
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Beginner

Part of the problem is that the cruise lines do too good a job at pampering their customers during the cruise! After a few days of this special treatment, some people come to expect it.

After a really great Caribbean cruise a few years ago, we were on an American Airlines flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Dallas. Unfortunately, the flight was going to arrive about 40 minutes late, which was going to mess up a lot of connections. The poor flight attendants, who had nothing to do with the delay, were put through the proverbial wringer by many passengers who were acting like spoiled brats. The pilot even came on the intercom to ask the passengers to give the cabin crew a break.

During the flight, I got up to stretch and go to the restroom. While waiting, I began a conversation with one of the flight attendants and explained that most of the passengers had just been on a cruise during which every whim was taken care of for them. After being spoiled and pampered for a week, some of them forget they were back in the "real world" and were getting used to fending for themselves once again. I thanked her for her efforts and commiserated a bit. After a minute or so, she smiled and thanked me for the kind words. Once I had returned to my seat, she came by and treated my wife and me to a couple of drinks "on the house." On the way off the plane, all of the attendants made a point of thanking me.

I do think that some of the boorish behavior is just natural for some people. Others believe that paying for the cruise (or plane ticket) allows them to expect special treatment, forgetting that everyone else has also paid for the same treatment. As a teacher, I have come to expect being taken for granted. But I work with children and young adults. I don't think I could work very long on a cruise line. It would be tough for me not to remind some people in these situations to behave civilly, like adults.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
Passenger

Whoa,I have real issue with this.Being rude and pushy wears on my patience levels.Seems like basic common courtesy and manners are going by the wayside. :evil:
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LadyStahr

And now, a happy alternative to "pushy"....

Friends of mine and I, in 1999, were on vacation in Sydney, Australia. We got to the airport later than we should have, and the line was horribly long. I looked at the one friend that was sharing my flight, and shook my head and commented that we were going to miss it...there was just no way they were going to get through in time for us to board.

A couple of minutes later, a lady walked up to us and asked us if we were traveling together. When we said yes, she unhooked the stanchion and asked us to follow her - no one else, just us two. She led us to the business class counter where we were given blank boarding passes.

I wasn't thinking about any of this...just figured they opened the desk up to help with the line...so we proceeded through security and Customs, and we got back to the jetway gate and the person that's there tells us we're going to have to wait because we have blank boarding passes. No explanation - and it's only like 10 minutes from the time the plane's supposed to leave. I was getting a bit disturbed by this time.... After all, we had BLANK boarding passes...I started mumbling to my friend about the situation. I wasn't nice, but I wasn't broadcasting either. Then, they called our names. Handed us boarding passes, and we walked up the jetway.

I told my friend that our seats were too close to the front of the plane. She just smiled and said that we were probably the first row in coach. I wasn't convinced....and I was, happily, right - we had been upgraded to business class.

Moral of the story: Don't throw a fit before you know what sort of "stuff" you've fallen into

Lisa
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Admiral

okay funny but true "pushy people" story;
taken from a monthly newsletter from a mobile home park (residents 55+ park):

under the Raves, Rants & Requests: "Each week at bingo, the rush to get cake gets worse and more dangerous! Please, please, please slow down, be polite and do not break into the line."

Must be some darn good Cake

My gripe: pushy people with wheeled luggage or shopping carts. Many times I have been plowed over by a large suitcase on wheels or a shopping cart. Actually, had the back of my leg and heal sliced upon on a shopping cart at the Home Depot; the little ole lady with her potted flowers decided I was not moving quick enough _ even the the line wasn't moving- and literally slammed into me with her cart. She did not even apologize even after my BF told her that she had sliced open my leg and heal; she said she didn't do it.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Admiral

This is TOTALLY off topic, but did I read your "sig" right that you are a Martha who goes by Marty? Not many of us around!
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
This is TOTALLY off topic, but did I read your "sig" right that you are a Martha who goes by Marty? Not many of us around!
yep that's me teh HIH gang tagged me with "marty" as my screenname shouldn't be abbreviated
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Pushy people? you want the ultimate in pushy people I will give it to you. Try and top this!

At times in my job at the FD we run on cardiac arrests in restaurants. I could give you at least 10 stories of people saying things like.
"could you hand me my purse"
"I need to get to my table"
" do you have to do this right here"
or instances where people stepped over us, with the patient lying on the floor, to get to a table.
All this occurs while performing CPR, defibrillating or intubating people.
It also amazes me that some dead guy could be laying there inches from people seated eating and they go on eating, don't even get up to give us room. I have watched people watching us work and putting food in their mouths at the same time. Sorry to say but these people are usually senior citizens.
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Yeoman

I guess they figure it's dinnertime entertainment?!!

I also notice in Florida that very few drivers tend to get out of the way for emergency vehicles!
I always pull to the side -- only to have the person behind me pass me and keep going!
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
I guess they figure it's dinnertime entertainment?!!
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Passenger

My Grandma always told me, "Never expect to be treated better than you are willing to treat someone else." So, I always try to be on my best behavior no matter what.
I wish everybody had a Grandma liked mine.
Kim
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Admiral

Yeah, my "Steddo" (how we pronounced Stella) was just like that.
Very big on the Golden Rule.
Works for me to this day.
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Admiral

Don't get me started on drivers around emergency vehicles. :evil:
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:32 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
Better yet go to south Miami Beach and in particular any grocery store.Lived in Miami for 26 years and worked retail in that market.My advice is to be just as rude as they expeect this otherwise will walk all over you and not think anything of it.
Or the people that live near St. Pete, FL....the other day an elderly couple were running their mouths about me having more than 10 items in the express checkout lane (I had 17), but what actually happened was there was only one normal checkout line that had several people standing in it. A store employee "invited" any of us already standing in that line to come over to the express cashier because she was available to check us out. This old lady behind me kept running her mouth about "not being able to count", with her measly hubby chiming in, until I'd had enough. I asked her what her problem was, she told me, and I told her in so many words to mind her own business. I then proceeded to use my debit card, and they start mumbling about "Look! She even has to use a credit card to pay for her stuff!". At this point, I started playing with them....I would take my time about entering any info to complete the transaction and when it came time to process it, I would ask the cashier to "clear it" because I made an error "OOPS" and would have to swipe my card again and start all over. Did it twice (oops, silly me), hope they enjoyed their melted ice cream!
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:54 PM
Admiral

I guess rude behavior can work both ways!

Live and let live.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:12 PM
Yeoman

Ya, after I read my post I realized I wasn't any better than they were! If it ever happens again, I'll just laugh it off....
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inis46
Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
Better yet go to south Miami Beach and in particular any grocery store.Lived in Miami for 26 years and worked retail in that market.My advice is to be just as rude as they expeect this otherwise will walk all over you and not think anything of it.
Or the people that live near St. Pete, FL....the other day an elderly couple were running their mouths about me having more than 10 items in the express checkout lane (I had 17), but what actually happened was there was only one normal checkout line that had several people standing in it. A store employee "invited" any of us already standing in that line to come over to the express cashier because she was available to check us out. This old lady behind me kept running her mouth about "not being able to count", with her measly hubby chiming in, until I'd had enough. I asked her what her problem was, she told me, and I told her in so many words to mind her own business. I then proceeded to use my debit card, and they start mumbling about "Look! She even has to use a credit card to pay for her stuff!". At this point, I started playing with them....I would take my time about entering any info to complete the transaction and when it came time to process it, I would ask the cashier to "clear it" because I made an error "OOPS" and would have to swipe my card again and start all over. Did it twice (oops, silly me), hope they enjoyed their melted ice cream!
You are upset cause you fought fire with fire???? you are my hero!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:34 PM
Yeoman

rescuedad, I only said that to get Paul B off my back!
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
We seniors are pushy because we can't be certain when our fun will stop permanently, and we wish to squeeze in every moment that we can.
But why want to get off the ship so fast then, if you stay you may get a free burial at sea>
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Anything to save on the cost of a funeral.
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
Anything to save on the cost of a funeral.
You betcha!