Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Passenger

I bought a set of "tear-a-way" tuxedos and just wear them every night to dinner. I bought a set of 7 at Walmart for $25. You drape it over your regular clothes, eat dinner and then on your way out of the dining room you rip it off and throw it in the trash. It's comfortable, cheap and solves the problem.
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Do they also sell 'tear a way' formal gowns??? I would be all over that...

J
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Why yes they do, but they are a little more expensive..7 for $30.

Why do womens' stuff always cost more?????
Old July 1st, 2006, 01:22 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Lisa, I like your idea!
Reservations for formal night -- all others can go their own way.
Those of us who enjoy dressing up will have an elegant dinner. Those who want to stay casual can eat in another restaurant or buffet.
I agree with this. We've been cruising since 1972. We like the formality of formal night. It is special. You wear shorts and tanks and whatever all the time. Formal night recalls the elegant cruising of the past. Boy, am I old!! It's like going into an elegant resturant, you know "ritzy", where everyone is dressed to the nines, and some one walks in wearing ripped jeans and an tee which says "Kiss my a##, im on vacation" {true story}
Fine wear what you want, just dont go where formal is expected.

And thats my 2 cents
Shirl

Have Scooter,,,,,Will travel

I get knocked down, but I get up again, cause {b}no ones{/b} gonna keep me down.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Admiral

I know on both Roayal Caribbean and Princess you are allowed to order room service an dthe same meals as served at dinner-so even the lobster can be deliversed to your stateroom.

so on those lines if you don't weant to dress-you can eat in your stateroom and then go up to the Lido area-I am sure the lounge there does not require formal dress.

There are solutions to this-people can still have their lobster-most just do not care I feel.
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Familiar Face

The formal nights have caused us the most grief. We are not formal people. We dress nicely and dine out frequently. But nicely does not mean a suit or tux in our neck of the woods. A nice pair of jeans and collared shirt is perfectly acceptable in 95% of our nicer restaruants here.

Dressing my son who has a 26" waist and 33" inseam has proved to be next to impossible to buy clothes for. No suit can be altered that much! Sorry, I won't have one custom made for him at this age. We have bought dresses, slacks and dress shoes on sale and yet we will be spending approximately $500 on clothes for the 4 of us to attend formal nights. We can afford it, but that is crazy! My son will out grow these shoes and slacks before he can wear them again. Who knows when my daughter and I will wear our dresses again.... Many people save for a long time to take a cruise, they should be allowed to enjoy it without having to spend so much on clothes.

I like the idea of having two dining room options that serve the same food.
One for formal diners and one for the smart casual diners. It was stated that the cruise lines make too much money on the photos, I don't see why we can't have our photo taken in smart casual clothes as well.

Alaska NB - RCI Radiance of the Seas - August 06
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Ruby, I like the way you think.

Not only are clothes you wear infrequently a waste of money and luggage space, but, at least for me, a coat and tie are very uncomfortable.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dress code enforcement

There is a rumor that a certain major cruise line is considering the emplyment of out-of-work Taliban to enforce the dining room dress code. No more shorts and wife-beater shirts!

Just kidding, folks.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
First Mate

it would make packing a lot easier. No more decisions about what's appropriate for formal night
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

The other family that we travel with... their boys rarely follow the casual or informal night dress code... arriving typically in blue jeans and a t-shirt (on celebrity they jazz it up with pull over polos). The wait staff have never said anything to them about it... They do get dressed up to the nines on formal night...

My brother however decided to interpret the dress code a little bit... because they state on casual night that you are to wear slacks and a sports shirt or button down.... the sports shirt he interpreted to be a Hockey Jersey.... our maitre'd laughed when my brother explained it to him and allowed him to pass
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default "Sports" shirt?

Ya gotta love it.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Lisa, I like your idea!
Those of us who enjoy dressing up will have an elegant dinner. Those who want to stay casual can eat in another restaurant or buffet.
so you are saying that because one chooses not to dress in heels and sequins and a tux for the guys, they are not entitled to the steak and lobster? they are banished to the lido for hambugers and pizza. I wont bother you if you dont bother me, but I'm not taking all the extra clothes. Im there to have a good time, not impress anyone, and certainly not worry about what everyone else is wearing. AND not to get pictures made every time I turn around

Carnival Jubilee 2003
Carnival Elation 2004
Rhapsody Of the Seas 2005
Carnival Conquest 2006
Old August 5th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtp911
Quote:
Lisa, I like your idea!
so you are saying that because one chooses not to dress in heels and sequins and a tux for the guys, they are not entitled to the steak and lobster? they are banished to the lido for hambugers and pizza. I wont bother you if you dont bother me, but I'm not taking all the extra clothes. Im there to have a good time, not impress anyone, and certainly not worry about what everyone else is wearing. AND not to get pictures made every time I turn around
I don't think that's what she said or meant.

You're really preaching to the choir here...we're not MAKING-UP the dress code....we're discussing a dress code already established by the cruise lines.

If you choose not to follow the dress code...or find it distressing...then you should contact the cruise lines and let them know personally how you feel... But until THEY change it, cruise passengers should do as requested.

Choosing to follow an established dress code in the final analysis, involves more than trying to impress others...it really about the amount of respect you have for yourself, other passengers and the staff and crew.

These special formal evenings have been arranged by the Cruiseline for the enjoyment of the passengers at extra cost and staff effort! So most passengers do lug extra clothes to participate. The staff and crew dress up (on some lines) There are speciality dishes prepared and served only on formal nights....and yes, there are the ubiquitous photographers everywhere. There's a lot of preparation to make these nights special!

You might think..."Well that's too bad. That's their problem. I CHOOSE not participate in dressing up for some lousy formal night... but I still expect the same goodies, same service, etc. I just don't want to have to put out all the extra effort that EVERYONE else does."

That's very self-centered.
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Admiral

I don't think that it is self centered to expect the same service and food on formal nights if you choose to not get dressed up. No cruise brochure that I have ever read states that you can't have steak or lobster unless you dress formally. You really did pay for it.

I don't believe that the cruise lines spend extra money to stage formal evenings. They make extra money from the photographs they sell. As with any business, the bottom line is profit.

I do wear a suit on formal nights, but as soon as I see a substantial number of other man wearing dressy casual clothes on such nights, off comes the coat and tie. My wife would appreciate the extra room in our luggage for the things she buys on a cruise.
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
Choosing to follow an established dress code in the final analysis, involves more than trying to impress others...it really about the amount of respect you have for yourself, other passengers and the staff and crew.
Amen!

Quote:
so you are saying that because one chooses not to dress in heels and sequins and a tux for the guys, they are not entitled to the steak and lobster? they are banished to the lido for hambugers and pizza.
Well, yes, if you aren't dressed "appropriately" for the dining room (and that doesn't mean "heels, sequins and a tux") you may be turned away and have to eat at the buffet.

It's really very simple...

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lisa, I like your idea!
I don't think that's what she said or meant.

You're really preaching to the choir here...we're not MAKING-UP the dress code....we're discussing a dress code already established by the cruise lines.

If you choose not to follow the dress code...or find it distressing...then you should contact the cruise lines and let them know personally how you feel... But until THEY change it, cruise passengers should do as requested.

These special formal evenings have been arranged by the Cruiseline for the enjoyment of the passengers at extra cost and staff effort! So most passengers do lug extra clothes to participate. The staff and crew dress up (on some lines) There are speciality dishes prepared and served only on formal nights....and yes, there are the ubiquitous photographers everywhere. There's a lot of preparation to make these nights special!

You might think..."Well that's too bad. That's their problem. I CHOOSE not participate in dressing up for some lousy formal night... but I still expect the same goodies, same service, etc. I just don't want to have to put out all the extra effort that EVERYONE else does."

That's very self-centered.
I dont know about any of the other cruise lines. Have only been on Carnival and RC
But if this Carnival we were talking about , I have never read anywhere, seen anything in writing or heard from anyone, ie: travel agent, management on Carnival, that you HAVE to dress in formal. I know on some of the other cruise lines that this is a mandatory dress code.
But if this is Carnival that we are talking about this is one of the reasons that Carnival is called the Funships. On our cruise in June on the Conquest, it was announced as "for those who want to participate in tonights formal wear" and then announced the photo ops.
As far as putting out all the extra effort, I paid as much as you did, if not more , but thats not the point. The point is to have a good time. Whatever it is that makes you happy. Like I said I am not there to impress you or anyone else, I'm there for days of fun and R&R and a break from dealing with people that need to be entertained.
And before you go saying that that I am "self centered"
please know that in just the past 2 weeks I have performed CPR on 2 infants that later died, pulled an 8 yo out from underneath a truck, tended to the aid of several people that only dream of going places. I do this for a living, day in and day out...... and I get paid less than what you would pay your plumber to clean up poop! SO if you want to say I am self centered 7 days out of the year,,, the who the heck cares, I'm entitled. It's my vacation!
I'll have enough respect for you to just say that we agree to disagree, but please do the same for me

Carnival Jubilee 2003
Carnival Elation 2004
Carnival Conquest 2006
Old August 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Admiral

No matter what our profession...Plumber, Store Clerk, Physican or Paramedic...we NEVER have the right to be rude...or to think that we have paid our dues so that we have the right to 'let it all hang out', do as we please and the heck with manners or decorum. NO ONE person or group is more entitled than any other on this planet.

Some career choices are made because we follow our heart, but they are OUR choices...we know the pay and the amount of effort when we sign on...but that choice, because it is stressful doesn't entitle us to MORE of lifes bounties...or give us special dispensations.

We all have jobs and careers...maybe some not as dramatic or as stressful in the same way as yours...but no job gives one entitlement.

We've only cruised the big 3...RCCI, Celebrity and Holland America so far. Celebrity and HAL are specific about dress guidelines. They are listed for reference in your cabin guest book, in front of the dining room next to the daily menu and even in delievered to your cabin daily in the newsletter. RCCI does the same, but seems a little more casual in enforcing their codes.

You're right...it is your vacation...but you are not vacationing alone...on an island or in a mountain cabin...you are on board a small floating city...interacting with people...a city with codes set in place for EVERYONES enjoyment.

A stressful job...that doesn't entitle anyone.
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Isn't is a lot of fun to pass judgement on others with respect to how they choose to be comfortable and enjoy themselves?

Would it ruin the cruise of all you fancy dressers to have a gentleman sit at your table on formal night wearing dressy casual clothing instead of a coat and tie?
Oh the pain and agony.

Mellow out and party on!
Live and let live!
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Quote:
No matter what our profession...Plumber, Store Clerk, Physican or Paramedic...we NEVER have the right to be rude...or to think that we have paid our dues so that we have the right to 'let it all hang out', do as we please and the heck with manners or decorum. NO ONE person or group is more entitled than any other on this planet.

Some career choices are made because we follow our heart, but they are OUR choices...we know the pay and the amount of effort when we sign on...but that choice, because it is stressful doesn't entitle us to MORE of lifes bounties...or give us special dispensations.

We all have jobs and careers...maybe some not as dramatic or as stressful in the same way as yours...but no job gives one entitlement.

We've only cruised the big 3...RCCI, Celebrity and Holland America so far. Celebrity and HAL are specific about dress guidelines. They are listed for reference in your cabin guest book, in front of the dining room next to the daily menu and even in delievered to your cabin daily in the newsletter. RCCI does the same, but seems a little more casual in enforcing their codes.

You're right...it is your vacation...but you are not vacationing alone...on an island or in a mountain cabin...you are on board a small floating city...interacting with people...a city with codes set in place for EVERYONES enjoyment.

A stressful job...that doesn't entitle anyone.
Then why was the reference made that I am self centered. From someone that doesnt even know me? Thats not rude?

Carnival Jubilee 2003
Carnival Elation 2004
Carnival Conquest 2006
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Lisa, I like your idea!
so you are saying that because one chooses not to dress in heels and sequins and a tux for the guys, they are not entitled to the steak and lobster? they are banished to the lido for hambugers and pizza.
In a word? Yes. If you want to eat chateaubriand and lobster, dress chateaucriand and lobster. If you want to eat burgers and fries, dress burgers and fries. Sorry, rules are rules, you don't have to like them, but you DO have to follow them.

Quote:
I wont bother you if you dont bother me, but I'm not taking all the extra clothes. Im there to have a good time, not impress anyone, and certainly not worry about what everyone else is wearing. AND not to get pictures made every time I turn around
It would be one thing if no one told you what to expect and you showed up and SUDDENLY they imposed a dress code on you. On the contrary, however, dress codes are well known and publicized, and you STILL chose to go on the trip. If you DO get turned away, you have no one to blame but yourself. Nor if you get dirty looks for choosing to ignore the code.

Tell me, if you were in New York would you walk into Serafina or Le Cirque wearing your jeans? After all, it's YOUR trip, right?
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Go to almost any public high school prom and watch what passes as "formal"..Remember they are the future cruisers of the world and I bet the cruise lines will adapt to capture the market place

I continue to be amazed at the intensity of the comments that this topic provokes...In the big picture of life this is small item not to be stressed over..All I know is my GF looks really good when she dresses up and I like dressing up and I really don't care what other people choose to wear on formal night..It makes great post dinner conversation on the way to the show
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Just for GP ans S&G I called Carnival and my travel agent.
There are NO POSTED OR SPECIFIC RULES that state you HAVE to dress formal for these occasions..These are put into place for people who want to recapture or experience the fun of the old glamour sailings (their words not mine)
As long as you are not dressed in you bathing suit, or cut off shorts, you should be fine. Again their words not mine.
Maybe the rules are different on the other ships. This is Carnivals as told by them. 8-6-06

If all you people care about is how one is dressed, or how you look, I truly feel sorry for you, You have missed the point of living.

Carnival Jubilee 2003
Carnival Elation 2004
Carnival Conquest 2006
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Admiral

We're not talking about YOUR right to wear what you want...

You can wear what you want, when you want, anytime you want. It just 'WHERE'... that's the point.
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
If all you people care about is how one is dressed, or how you look, I truly feel sorry for you, You have missed the point of living.

No i do believe YOU have missed the point of living... I think dressing up for dinner is completely a hoot... I get to pretend for a few hours that I am a celebrity... walking in on the Red Carpet and waltzing my way to my table... you get to step out of the harsh reality of life for a few hours and just be elegant... be gorgeous... be handsome... or be completely sophisticated... I LOVE dressing up for formal night and i enjoy it when everyone around me dresses up to.. it's like a regal ball that only the people on the ship is invited to... So just because we don't like to see ragamuffins sitting at our table on formal night is no reason that you say we have missed the point of living... Cruising is not JUST a vacation... it's an EXPERIENCE.. and I'm going to experience everything I can... 8)

granted... I'm not going to toss someone out of the FORMAL dining room for not dressing up... because I can't that's the maitre'd's job on RCI and Celebrity and the other lines that choose to uphold the standards that have been set... (Carnival has chosen to not keep those high standards because their clientelle are younger and most of them just want to have fun... hence "fun" ships...) but i can give the patrons evil glares the whole night... (i don't really give people evil glares... im just saying... if i wanted to ... i could... )
Horizon - July '03
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Passenger

Quote:
We're not talking about YOUR right to wear what you want...

You can wear what you want, when you want, anytime you want. It just 'WHERE'... that's the point.

This is why Carnival asks that you or I or anyone else not wear cut offs or a bathing suit to formal night. Thats all I specifically asked about
I think that covers,
The what
The what NOT and
The Where to

Carnival Jubilee 2003
Carnival Elation 2004
Carnival Conquest 2006
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Isn't the whole point of cruising to have fun. If your way of having fun is to spend all day getting ready for a formal night and to be proud of yourself that you look better than everyone else, I applaud you.

However, it is not likely that I will notice you and appreciate all the work you put into looking beautiful. I will be looking at the menu and the food that I get served. I believe that you will find that both RCI and Princess are more like Carnival when it comes to dress on formal nights. Celebrity is the line where you are most likely to find others who feel as you do.

I have never seen anyone dressed like a ragmuffin on any formal night on any of my 22 cruises. Even if there were, it wouldn't have bothered me.
I would rather sit next to a clean person in casual clothing than a lady drenched in perfume who looks like she just came out of the Ritz.
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitscuba
Quote:

No i do believe YOU have missed the point of living... I think dressing up for dinner is completely a hoot... I get to pretend for a few hours that I am a celebrity... walking in on the Red Carpet and waltzing my way to my table... you get to step out of the harsh reality of life for a few hours and just be elegant... be gorgeous... be handsome... or be completely sophisticated... I LOVE dressing up for formal night and i enjoy it when everyone around me dresses up to.. it's like a regal ball that only the people on the ship is invited to... So just because we don't like to see ragamuffins sitting at our table on formal night is no reason that you say we have missed the point of living... Cruising is not JUST a vacation... it's an EXPERIENCE.. and I'm going to experience everything I can... 8)

granted... I'm not going to toss someone out of the FORMAL dining room for not dressing up... because I can't that's the maitre'd's job on RCI and Celebrity and the other lines that choose to uphold the standards that have been set... (Carnival has chosen to not keep those high standards because their clientelle are younger and most of them just want to have fun... hence "fun" ships...) but i can give the patrons evil glares the whole night... (i don't really give people evil glares... im just saying... if i wanted to ... i could... )
A lot of people enjoy dressing up on the Carnival ships I have been on too.
but Yes they seem to be a little more lax, as they do deal with a younger clientelle, or it seems anyway
Im glad you think dressing up and pretending is a "hoot" If this is what gives you fun and pleasure then by all means you have the right to do so. I'm sure you look very elegant as you are "giving evil glares the whole night" at all the other people that dont. If you wanted to... of course

Carnival Jubilee 2003
Carnival Elation 2004
Carnival Conquest 2006
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't remember saying ANYTHING about perfume...
Horizon - July '03
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Admiral

I have no idea if you use perfume or how much if you do, but the smell of strong perfume does detract from the elegance of many fancy dressed diners.

Live and let live.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
I have no idea if you use perfume or how much if you do, but the smell of strong perfume does detract from the elegance of many fancy dressed diners.

Live and let live.
Don't have to wear perfume on a cruise... just brush into the best smelling person you can find in an elevator....
Horizon - July '03