Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
I have no idea if you use perfume or how much if you do, but the smell of strong perfume does detract from the elegance of many fancy dressed diners.

Live and let live.

point taken

Carnival Jubilee 2003
Carnival Elation 2004
Rhapsody Of the Seas 2005
Carnival Conquest 2006
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Passenger

I like formal nights as it is the only time I get to really dress up but that is just my personal choice, not by husband's who would be happy to dress casual every night.
On one cruise of 34 days one pax wore shorts, t shirt and baseball cap every single night in the dining room. On formal nights they asked him to go and change and he came back with baseball cap, t shirt and long casual pants. We had to laugh at that. Still, I do think he could have eaten on the Lido deck on formal nights if his casual attire was that important to him. I don't like to see hats in the dining room at all and wish the men wouldn't wear them there.

If the cruise line is providing an elegant dining experience where even the waiters have to dress formal I don't see why pax can't go along with that. It doesn't have to be ultra formal - a jacket and tie for the men and long skirt and top for the women or a nice pantsuit. It is only for an hour and a half anyway and then those that choose to do so can change back to casual.

re the perfume - better left in the bottle! there are so many people allergic to it now.
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Sometimes it's not just the perfume...Here's what some Perfume counters advise.

1. Splash cologne (same fragrance)
2. Power (same fragrance)
3. Spray perfume (same fragrance)

They call this layering the fragrance. It's suppose to help the SMELL last longer!

And you wonder why you get a headache!
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

personally i like to layer different fragrances... just to GIVE people headaches... a little lime coconut verbena with some Vanilla with some Saucy by some perfume company all slightly wonderful by themselves... but exceedingly overpowering when mixed joking...
Horizon - July '03
Rhapsody of the Seas - Thanksgiving '03
Golden Princess - June '04
Carnival Ecstasy - May '05
Explorer of the Seas - July '05
Infinity - Doomed Voyage - July '06
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Admiral

I find the "knock-offs" you buy at the dollar store are great - more bang for your buck and they smell just the same

ttfn Jennifer
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Admiral

Sometimes the odor of perfume covers the odor of mothballs on the first formal night.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
Sometimes the odor of perfume covers the odor of mothballs on the first formal night.
Now there's an observation I hadn't thought of!
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

when in Rome.......................
if you are on a cruise with a formal dinner try to go formal. if you cant then go to the other restaraunt. if you dont want to go formal then go on a different line. i just worry that people who save for years for a cruise may not have all of the formal attire.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE11378
when in Rome.......................
if you are on a cruise with a formal dinner try to go formal. if you cant then go to the other restaraunt. if you dont want to go formal then go on a different line. i just worry that people who save for years for a cruise may not have all of the formal attire.
We've found some beautiful formal wear worn only ONCE, sometimes they are so new they still had the price tag on...at various second hand stores and Consignment shops.

We went to a local Tux rental and bought a beautiful tux shirt, tie, etc. at such low prices we bought several. Once a year they change inventory to bring in the latest fashions...everything goes on sale. You just have to ask!

Really guys, formal attire is just not that big a deal...nor that expensive!

I think that the whole issue regarding formal wear is not so much the expense or the hassle packing it...but it seems more of a social issue, with some passengers digging in their heels...