Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Default BEWARE OF TAXI SCAM IN JAMAICA

Many may know this, but I just had friends return from this location and got scammed by the taxi drivers. When the taxis pick you up they tell you that the price is for a "round trip". What they don't tell you is that you have to find the SAME driver to get the "round trip"!! What are the odds??
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Captain

I have not heard of that but thanks for the warning

I love it when the same driver comes back to get you at a certain time and they remember what you looked like.

A taxi driver in Barbados clued me in on my land vacation there.

Karen
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Yeoman

Wow, thanks for the info.
We have had many taxi drivers try to get us to pay up front for "round trips" but we never do it.
In Jamaica [Ocho Rios] we have used local tours that do not take $ until the tour is done, and that has worked out well.
But one time, while we were waiting for our tour operator at Dunns River Falls, we were approached by two or three taxi drivers who asked whom we were waiting for.
They tried to coax us into their taxis!
One even said he was affiliated with our tour guide, but he was not.
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yep: That's why you don't give them the money until you get back to the ship.

Thanks for posting the information and it's part of learning how to travel.

Also, while in Jamaica the taxis must be registered and have the sticker in the lower corner of the windshield. Grab then "inside" the port area when you get off the ship if you are unsure.

Take care,
Mike (Who's still got ripped off, a bit, a time or two)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 5th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Hi chibertb,

I posted this on the Carnival site, but will repeat it here.

Quote:
You need to be sure you hire a cab with the "JUNTA" license plate. I believe the plates are red.

You shouldn't pay for the cab ride until it's over !
Mike's right! We were "ripped off" on our last cruise! We wanted to go the shopping area and a driver offered to take us for $5.00. We agreed and he drove around for about 5 minutes and dropped us off. When we walked out of the shopping area the ship was RIGHT there! We could have walked it in about 2 minutes! At least we contributed to the economy !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default scam

i was scammed in grand cayman by the taxi driver. she charged my daughter and I 20pp for a 10 minute ride on the island. It ws not pleasant. I felt violated. Now I am very skeptical of those tours and the natives. I think I would take it safe and get an excursion by the cruiseship.
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Passenger

Default Taxis in Jamaica

I have to agree with Mike. ALWAYS look for the taxi cabs that have the red license plates - these are certified by the Jamaican Dept of Tourism and are safe. Not only will the pricing be fair but they do not require payment until you are safely returned inside the gates at the pier.

My daughter and I traveled alone to Jamaica and our wonderful cab driver picked us up from the Taj Mahal shopping complex and took us on a 3-hour tour around the island including stops at Dunns River Falls, Fern Gully, a real Jamaican spice man and the mountaintop overlooking the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. The total cost for this trip was $50. We gave the driver a very nice tip considering there are drivers just outside the pier gates charging $100 and appear to be very shady characters.

Jamaicans can be very forceful, do not let them intimidate you into jumping in the first cab available or paying upfront. All of Jamaica is not as beautiful and safe as what you see at the pier so an experienced driver will know the unsafe areas to avoid. A certified driver will "Take care of you" (a term Jamaicans use) and ensure your safe return. Had it not been for this, we would never have gotten to see the real Jamaica.
CCL Freedom - Panama (8/2010)
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera (4/2010)
Norwegian Sky - Bahamas (12/09)

Past Sailings
Diamond Princess - Alaska Northbound (8/09)
CCL Destiny - S. Caribbean (8/08 )
Norwegian Sun - W. Caribbean (3/08 )
Norwegian Gem - Celebrity Cruise with John Legend & Bobby Flay (12/07)
Legend of the Seas - W. Caribbean (4/07)
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean (8/06)
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Admiral

I hated Jamaica-they were scamming for everything. If I am ever on a cruise that goes there again, I will stay on board.
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM
First Mate

I was at a resort in Jamaica and when I stepped off the property to go across the street to a market I was followed by a local "Taxi Driver" to the place. During that time he was offering to drive me anywhere I wanted to go and I told him I was just going across the street.

Beware, if you are at a resort have the front desk call a cab for you. Do not, I repeat do not take any cabs that are parked outside the resort.

As for any port if you can walk to your destination safely do it, and remember some places that the cruiseline takes you are still third world countries.