Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Yeoman

Good for you, reaching your goal!

Even if a ship were to offer only "healthy" foods, you'd still have some problems.
First of all -- healthy for whom? Someone on Weight Watchers, for example, can eat a lot of fruit. Someone on Atkins or SoBe can't. They'll be chowing down on bacon instead -- but a WW person would avoid the bacon!

Also, you still have to deal with portion control. Too much fruit is not good ... for a variety of reasons!
Old July 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM
Yeoman

Just a comment

On the ship I just came off, one guy stood out from the crowd, he was really obese. Initially I felt sorry for him, but my attitude changed just slightly when in front of me at the hot dog / burger bar he ordered three cheese burgers, two hot dogs and a large portion of fries.

Now here is my dilemma, is this just a greedy fat person that deserves all the ridicule they get,,,, since they don’t care about themselves.............. or should I feel sorry for them as this individual cant help their problem.
Old July 1st, 2006, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Just a comment

On the ship I just came off, one guy stood out from the crowd, he was really obese. Initially I felt sorry for him, but my attitude changed just slightly when in front of me at the hot dog / burger bar he ordered three cheese burgers, two hot dogs and a large portion of fries.

Now here is my dilemma, is this just a greedy fat person that deserves all the ridicule they get,,,, since they don’t care about themselves.............. or should I feel sorry for them as this individual cant help their problem.
Unfortunately his body probably needs that much food now...but he could have made healthy choices.

Sometimes larger people have a medical problem and it is not discovered till they are really obese.
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to gsujillybean

Quote:
Just a comment

Here's a third option: you could try minding your own flippin' business.

I'm 5'2', and over 200 pounds. I like to eat, sure, but EVERYONE in my family is HUGE, no matter how much we diet or exercise.

I run three times a week, and I eat what I want, and I'm very, very, healthy and really, really cute. You can bet your sweet bippy I will enjoy my cruise, no matter what the person behind me in the buffet line thinks of my entree choice. That person doesn't see me working it off on the jogging track later that night.

I wish I could poke fun at judgemental people like you, David, instead of feeling incredibly sorry for them.

Carnival Celebration--7/29/06
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to gsujillybean

Quote:
Just a comment

Here's a third option: you could try minding your own flippin' business.

I'm 5'2', and over 200 pounds. I like to eat, sure, but EVERYONE in my family is HUGE, no matter how much we diet or exercise.

I run three times a week, and I eat what I want, and I'm very, very, healthy and really, really cute. You can bet your sweet bippy I will enjoy my cruise, no matter what the person behind me in the buffet line thinks of my entree choice. That person doesn't see me working it off on the jogging track later that night.

I wish I could poke fun at judgemental people like you, David, instead of feeling incredibly sorry for them.

Carnival Celebration--7/29/06
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yeoman

gsujillybean

Dont know you, so cant comment on your personal battles. All I can comment on was what I seen and everyone makes judgements about everyone they meet or see everyday. Be honest, you did with me its human nature.

I appreciate what people have to do to get through life, but I was not trying to be judgemental, ie right or wrong. But I found myself in a dilemma as all cases are different. As you say "EVERYONE in my family is HUGE, no matter how much we diet or exercise".

Believe me I was not poking fun
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Just a comment

It's not YOUR dilemma.

Just live and let live. You cannot control what others choose to eat.

I am not sure of your definition of "really obese," but it's not for others to judge him.
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Yeoman

Okay, it's accepted your right..... it's none of my business.

As are smokers, non smokers, people who bring children on ships and dont look after them, people who dont dress properly, loud people, rude people, unhygenic people, snobs, bulk people bookings, gamblers, drinkers.

Okay I get the idea....so what can we discuss that is my business
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
.so what can we discuss that is my business
YOU!!! You are your own business!

I'll let you talk about some of the other things you listed, too!
For instance, rude people. If someone did something really awful to you on a cruise, why shouldn't you complain here?
You are complaining about a specific behavior that occurred.

I guess it's a fine line.
You wouldn't [I hope] discriminate against someone based on their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability.
For some reason, many people believe it's OK to discriminate against overweight people.
It's not.
There are a thousand reasons why someone may be overweight ...
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Yeoman

My friend chill....I am

Yes, I do look after my own business...learned that lesson... But it was standing up on this board for fat people, thin people, and others and how the world looks at them. That got me barred from this site after years of posting.

Have a look at my "Admiral" posting under DavidB. I fight the corner of those deemed as easy targets and as some could testify on here, that was my downfall.

But what I had there was a dilemma, I know my attitude and feelings regarding targetting, but having seen it with my own eyes. So instead of being a different voice. In this case from now on I may not be so understanding, as others around me find it acceptable or just ignore it.. Fine, I can do that if it stops me being a target for comment.

Yeah,,,,you think 8) No chance.
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Admiral

As with David, I also feel that I have a right to comment on any subject.

I am not about to tell a truly huge person to stop eating, nor am I about to tell a smoker about the dangers of tobacco. I can only assume that if you are very fat, you know that you are, and if you smoke like a chimmney, you realize what it may do to your health. I can and do feel sympathy.

If you feel that there is something wrong about the way I look or what I do, feel free to inform me. It won't bother me in the least, and it may really help me. Now, if you call me names or try to push me around, it might be a different story. I will either ignore you or start to push back.

Life is too short to cause other people pain.

Live and let live and you will live longer.
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
My friend chill....I am

Yes, I do look after my own business...learned that lesson... But it was standing up on this board for fat people, thin people, and others and how the world looks at them. That got me barred from this site after years of posting.

Have a look at my "Admiral" posting under DavidB. I fight the corner of those deemed as easy targets and as some could testify on here, that was my downfall.

But what I had there was a dilemma, I know my attitude and feelings regarding targetting, but having seen it with my own eyes. So instead of being a different voice. In this case from now on I may not be so understanding, as others around me find it acceptable or just ignore it.. Fine, I can do that if it stops me being a target for comment.

Yeah,,,,you think 8) No chance.
Thanks for the history lesson!
Sorry that your efforts to defend others went awry.

I've found that message boards can become very much like middle-school playgrounds.
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Okay, it's accepted your right..... it's none of my business.

As are smokers, non smokers, people who bring children on ships and dont look after them, people who dont dress properly, loud people, rude people, unhygenic people, snobs, bulk people bookings, gamblers, drinkers.

Okay I get the idea....so what can we discuss that is my business
You are right-some are too criticial. I WOULD be concerned if I was married to that man. You said THREE burgers, TWO hotdogs, and a large portion of fries? That poor fellow will not live too long-he will do good to make his 60th birthday.

I think though the cruiselines should serve alot of options of food choices. I have diabetes. Some people are vegetarians. I eat alot of protein and salads-as that does not run up my blood sugar-FRUIT does-so NOT a good choice for me-except in small amounts. But maybe just CHOICES should be offered and not an unending amount of food-there are always those people who want to get their money's worth.

That is why I hate places like golden Corral. I am amazed at the food people are eating-and I who eat much less have to pay the same price. I would much rather go somewhere like TGI Fridays and have my flatiron steak and creamed spinach for about the same price as the buffet at Golden Corral.

Now I learned all this the hard way-I never ate as much as the guy you mentioned but I would eat too much and then I developed diabetes at 35, I still did not take it seriously though, for another 15 years; after watching a family member die way too young from complications of diabetes- I realized I had to take care of myself- if I am to see old age.
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Yeoman

It all comes down to responsibility.
The individual has to accept responsibility for his own behavior. If he chooses to overeat, or to eat unhealthy items, then it is his choice and he has to live with the consequences. [Or possibly died from them.]

You can't make the cruise line police people.
You can't make restaurants police people.

People are responsible for themselves.

Personally, I would not set foot in a Golden Corral. But there are many people who enjoy buffet-type restaurants and feel they get a lot for their money.
That's their freedom of choice.
If they can't control their intake and really overeat -- that's their choice too.