Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Admiral

glad to be of help. OOOH evening wear cheap, my kind of store
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Floridanamaw,

So I guess I will be out shopping for some kind of dress that I will most likely wear once and then it will hang in my closet for a while.

Don't you have a nice dress to wear to weddings, funerals, etc? If so, it's probably fine for the "formal" evenings....

Norm.
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Passenger

For years, I've had a number of pieces of that black, heavy knit that are so popular. I recently saw them in Coldwater Creek and Chicos and I'd be willing to bet that Kmart, Walmart, Target etc. would have something similar. I just roll them up in my suitcase and they're great. For formal nights, I wear the long skirt with a long sleeved cowl neck top. I change accessories (scarves, jewelry, etc.) for each night but wear the same basics. Several people on these boards have also mentioned buying a suit at a thrift store for the men on your list. I think that's a great idea. I travel a good bit, cruises and otherwise, and a lot of my clothes are black. It's versatile and also if I dribble a little red wine (who me?!?) it doesn't show Just a few more thoughts.
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Admiral

I have very few dresses. I have a few that are short, but not what I would call dressy enough for formal night. I was in K-mart today and didn't see anything. Our Wal-mart doesn't have much. We have a clothing boutique that sell "previousely worn" clothes. Last time I was in there they had a whole wall full of formal wear. I bought a beaded top to wear with black silky pants for the office Christmas party. I'll check them out. As for my BF, that's a whole other topic. Jeans & tees, jeans & tees. I did buy him an hawaiian type shirt at K-mart today really cheap. I told him it was for the cruise. He said do I have to wear it?? By biggest problem is shoes. I have the worst time finding shoes that fit. I just can't wear any style, no high heels, not pointed toes, small feet......I hate shopping for shoes. But I will...I've gotten a lot of ideas from here, so thanks a bunch. This is the best forum. I have surfed some of the others and they don't have near the responses that are on here. Thanks again. I'll let ya'll know if I find something great.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Passenger

I promise you that you will NOT feel uncomfortable in those pants and top! The BF may be a bit of a problem. If he's resisting an Hawaiian shirt, getting him into even a sport jacket and tie could be a real challenge. Maybe the Lido restaurant would be a better option. I've not been on your ship so others are better equiped to address. Regardless of what you wear and where you eat, you're going to love your cruise. Really.
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Admiral

"Florida" - the BF could pose a bit of a problem. What does he wear to funerals, and weddings? Personally, i feel that everyman should own a suit or at the very least suit separates for those occasions, its the right, proper and adult thing to do.
If BF is still against wearing adult clothes then you will have to forgo formal nights on your cruise and eat at the buffet or in your stateroom.
You can pick up a sports jacket cheaply at your local Goodwill, Salvation Army or probably at the same store that you got your sparkly top.
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Admiral

He is an adult, in his fifties. He has suits and he will wear them, he'll just grumble some. But I'm use to that so I don't listen to his grumbling anymore. I'm not exactly sure what color his suit is, but I know where the thrift stores are so we'll be fine. We have 5 nights on the ship, so one formal night of dress up, one night dressed casual and then we will have to try the other eating places. I think his adversion to dressing up is that he spent 20 something years in the military and had to dress up and wear uniforms so now he just doesn't do it much. But he will do it.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Floridanamaw,

I did buy him an hawaiian type shirt at K-mart today really cheap.

That would be perfect for the night of the tropical deck party, which is a staple of most cruises to the Caribbean!

Now, will he wear a polo shirt (essentially a "T" shirt with a collar)? That would be fine for the other "casual" evenings....

As others have said, don't stress over this. Just relax and take a deep breath. Everything will work out, one way or another.

Norm.
Old August 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Save your money for grandkids' souvenirs. The Elation is a nice ship with a casual attitude. I have been on 35+ cruises, on 6 or 7 different cruise lines and black slacks with a dressy top are just fine. Some folks would prefer that everyone dress according to their standards. Unless, they are paying for my vacation, I'll wear what I know is appropriate. I don't wear jeans, but that is just because they are too hot, as Lisa said. You won't be allowed to wear shorts in the dining room for dinner, even on informal nights. I have some light weight cotton slacks that I wear for non-formal dinners. Relax, you'll be fine. Concentrate on having fun. I never thought my hubby, who is uber-casual, would like cruising, but now he's as excited as I am when we book the next one. And, if you do get hooked, you may find yourself then buying clothes for cruising only. And that is fine, so long as you are doing it because you want to, and not because one person whom you've never met thinks he has the right to tell you what to wear.
Marty
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Floridanamaw - sounds like you have everything under control. I bet your guy looks really sharp in his suit! Sure they will grumble, but if your BF is anything like my DH once he puts on that suit there is a change in the attitude, they know that they look sharp. after all like the song says" Girls go crazy for a sharp dressed man"
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Florida,
Rather than assume that you will have to do alternative dining for several nights, go to the dining room a few minutes before it opens for your dinner seating. There will be a lot of passengers waiting for them to open the doors. Just look around and see if what you and yours are wearing fits in with what others have on. The maitre d' has a lot of discretion when it comes to enforcing dress code. Even on the same ship, if the staff changes, things change too. You may find that you are dressed okay. Just avoid the most obvious "too tacky" for dinner look, i.e. no baseball hats or down-to-there tank tops for your guy (or you). One other thing is maybe convince him to wear a solid color, no logo's etc., t-shirt. Not as good as a polo shirt, but definitely looks a bit classier. Just have fun, whatever happens!
Marty
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Aaargh! Brain fog coming in heavy today. Had another thought I forgot to write.
When I was trying to cinvvince my boyfriend, now hubby, to dress up a bit for cruises, I found that a decent shirt thrown on over his beloved t-shirt worked well. Somehow that didn't seem to him like "dressing up", but definitely worked for casual nights. And, once you get him into a Hawaiian shirt, you might want to budget for more. My guy fell in love with how cool feeling they are and now owns a closet full!
Marty
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Admiral

I've already bought him several new shirts, something besides the normal t-shirt he wears. As long as it has a pocket on it he doesn't seem to fuss to much, no more than normal anyway. I'm finding lots of summer shirts on sale now, so I'm not spending lots of money on them. Next I'll tackle the pants issue. I already have a stack of clothes I'm amassing for me. I'm so worried about the formal night now. I have located several long skirts that can be matched with some of the tops I already have. Now for the shoes..........

Need some cruise help?
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Stop worrying already! Actually, the shoes matter less now that you are going with long skirts. You won't be able to see them very well. I have one pair of very basic low-heel black pumps that I've been using for cruises for years. And a cheapy pair of silver sandals in case my dressy outfit is too light for the black ones. You really don't need to go too crazy over this. I have a lot of foot problems and was forced to revise my attitude because I can't wear most dressy shoes. Plus, my feet swell up a lot on cruises. So, being able to walk comes first.
Marty
Old August 19th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Okay, I'm done worrying about the clothes. Thanks for all the advise and support. You have all been great.

Need some cruise help?
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Passenger

I have the perfect solution to prevent wrinkled clothes. Fold each item of clothing carefully and then place a sheet of tissue paper in between each item. I heard this tip on a t.v. documentary and it really works (the thin plastic bags that dry cleaners use will work too if you can get hold of any) I bought a pack of tissue paper sheets at a liquidation store for about $2.00. I didn't have to iron a single thing on our last cruise. Hope this helps.

Old October 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
First Mate

Norm, don't you get tired of being the ultimate 'authority' on everything, even on women's clothes?
I have a favorite ladies wear store that puts on great end-of-summer sales....perfect timing for winter cruising. I recently bought a gorgeous (reg $225.00) formal, very beaded gown for $10.00! as well as pants, skirt, and 3 short dresses, all for $10.00 or $15.00 each. Also, it is a jersey knit base, so it could be rolled up in a suitcase and never need an iron. I always watch for this type of fabric for cruisewear. Also, if you pack T-shirts or other items between the layers of a gown, you don't get the fold marks. We never take a garment bag. If folded properly or rolled, gowns and suits travel just fine in your suitcase.
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
Norm, don't you get tired of being the ultimate 'authority' on everything, even on women's clothes?
I'm afraid I don't understand this sentence . I've found Norm to be an "invaluable" source of information on many threads. On this thread he answered the question that was asked. What's the problem?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Didn't mean to offend. Perhaps I should enable the happy face emoticons.
I had read Norm's list of required packing for a cruise (2wk), which I found to be very amusing. Sounded like an elederly couple's pack list, until he mentioned saving space with thongs for women and bikini briefs and speedos (yikes) for men. Also included were 15 "handkerchiefs" each and a large number of bras, and 15 pair of socks (for the Caribbean?). Norm is definitely a detail kind of guy. Anyway Fern, I got your message and apologize....twice.
Old October 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
First Mate

Further note. My concern was for Floridanamaw, who was stressing over formal night. Our first cruise was last-minute and I was not even aware that boards like this existed. So I was woefully out of touch with cruisewear fashion. That is the big plus of these boards, information. However, I think personal taste and "IMO" are worth noting. She would have been fine in a dressy palazzo pants and a sparkly top, as most respondants said. During the course of this thread she has moved to long skirt instead, just fine, but her choice. I wouldn't want her to feel like she belonged in steerage and was being looked down upon by a guy in tux and bow tie or a woman in a bejewelled black gown. Your first cruise is always memorable and she will be hooked like the rest of us. Have a WONDERFUL time Floridanamaw.
Old October 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Admiral

I was beginning to feel as if I should be in steerage and looked down on for choosing to wear pants instead of a dressy formal. I did buy (on sale) a long black dressy skirt that will work if I decide to use it. I am taking the skirt and the pants. These pants are not just a pair of slacks, they are dressy. I have 3 different glittery tops to choose from. I contacted Carnival and described what I had and they had no problem at all with the pants and top for formal night. I have stopped stressing over the dress code. I plan on enjoying this cruise. Whether we get "hooked on cruising" or not, we can only do this every couple of year so I plan to enjoy it as much as possible.

Need some cruise help?
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Hi Floridanmaw,

You'll be fine in dressy pants and a "glittery" top! I've worn similar formal wear on all of our cruises.

Hi kd,

Do enable your emoticons. It can make all the difference in what someone says! I have no idea how old Norm is, but I know that my dear Father wouldn't have left the house without a handkerchief! Times change and many men don't carry one anymore.

BTW, there's nothing to apologize for. Everyone has their own opinions !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Admiral

kd,

I don't profess to be the "ultimate authority on everything" -- or even on anything. When something is outside my area of expertise, I acknowledge that fact and either refrain from comment or, if it's something that matters, ask questions so that I can learn.

I have a favorite ladies wear store that puts on great end-of-summer sales....perfect timing for winter cruising. I recently bought a gorgeous (reg $225.00) formal, very beaded gown for $10.00! as well as pants, skirt, and 3 short dresses, all for $10.00 or $15.00 each.

Fatastic! -- and I'm sure that many regulars on this board would love to know of such sales!

Also, it is a jersey knit base, so it could be rolled up in a suitcase and never need an iron. I always watch for this type of fabric for cruisewear.

A great tip for selection of eveningwear for cruising!

Also, if you pack T-shirts or other items between the layers of a gown, you don't get the fold marks. We never take a garment bag. If folded properly or rolled, gowns and suits travel just fine in your suitcase.

Another great tip!

Norm.
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Admiral

kd,

I had read Norm's list of required packing for a cruise (2wk), which I found to be very amusing. Sounded like an elederly couple's pack list, until he mentioned saving space with thongs for women and bikini briefs and speedos (yikes) for men. Also included were 15 "handkerchiefs" each and a large number of bras, and 15 pair of socks (for the Caribbean?).

It appears that you missed the nance that the list is for a cruise on Celebrity -- which means that the cruise will have four "Informal" evenings in addition to three "Formal" evenings, and thus only seven "Casual" evenings. The bras for ladies are for wear on the "Formal" and "Informal" evenings, if one's dresses require them.

On the list for gentlemen, the handkerchiefs allow one per day and one spare (gentlemen do carry them, regardless of age, though other men may not) and the men's socks, of course, are for eveningwear.

Norm is definitely a detail kind of guy.

For sure!

Then again, what does one expect of a mathematician/scientist/engineer?

Norm.
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:41 PM
kookylabooka

There's nothing wrong with that, but cruise ships traditionally are very much a "blue blood" domain --

Norm.[/quote]

Not today, there is a line for every lifestyle. The so called "upscale" ones are getting to be the minority. Which is a good thing, makes cruising more accessible to everybody.
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Admiral

kookylabooka,

Not today, there is a line for every lifestyle. The so called "upscale" ones are getting to be the minority...

Yes, I think that my earlier post went on to explain that fact.

Which is a good thing, makes cruising more accessible to everybody.

We can debate that if you like. IMHO, civility is too often lacking in modern society -- and we, as a people and as a nation, are severely impoverished by it even though, from a strictly material standpoint, we have the most affluent society that the world has ever seen. I'm not suggesting that cruises should be inaccessible to common people, but rather the very sort of transformation that Shakespeare portrayed in The Taming of the Shrew, which Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe transformed into the Broadway musical My Fair Lady.

Sigh....

Norm.
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:02 PM
kookylabooka

We can debate that if you like. IMHO, civility is too often lacking in modern society -- and we, as a people and as a nation, are severely impoverished by it even though, from a strictly material standpoint, we have the most affluent society that the world has ever seen. I'm not suggesting that cruises should be inaccessible to common people, but rather the very sort of transformation that Shakespeare portrayed in The Taming of the Shrew, which Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe transformed into the Broadway musical My Fair Lady.

Sigh....

Norm.[/quote]

The fact that "civility" is lacking in such an affluent nation shows that it spans all income levels. This nation and it's people will always be impoverished because there will always be some who assign a humans worth by how affluent they are. The fact that you use elitist phrases such as "common people" and your mindset that such people being part of something degrades it validates my point.
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Admiral

kookylabooka,

The fact that "civility" is lacking in such an affluent nation shows that it spans all income levels.

That's true, but it also, is nothing new -- nor is it limited to American society. The French coined the phrase nouveaux richs (literally, "new rich") to describe those who had attained wealth but lacked the dignified manner that came with formal training in civility and social ettiquette that one expects of the affluent. The central character in the French play Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme is such an individual. It's an area where our schools could -- and, IMHO, should -- do a better job of preparing our youth.

This nation and it's people will always be impoverished because there will always be some who assign a humans worth by how affluent they are.

This actually has nothing whatsoever to do with affluence. I know plenty of individuals who are far from affluent, but who nonetheless have their ducks in a row when it comes to social ettiquette. I would, however, suggest that observance of proper social ettiquette is one aspect of character -- the very character by which no less of a figure than Dr. Martin Luther King suggested that men should be judged.

Let me be blunt: I don't choose friends and business associates based upon their affluence. Rather, I choose friends and business associates based upon attributes such as integrity, honesty, propriety, and sobriety.

The fact that you use elitist phrases such as "common people" and your mindset that such people being part of something degrades it validates my point.

Such terms imply no value judgement whatsoever. Rather, the term "common people" simply means people of modest financial means. To deny that there are people of different income levels in our society is to deny reality.

Norm.
Old October 11th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Admiral

You can't teach what you don't know.

No question, we are interacting with more and more rude people. Sadly, some don't know they are being rude. They really don't know any better because they haven't been taught! Since these adults DON'T know manners and common courtesy, how can they possibly teach their children?

There is nothing wrong with the observance of proper social ettiquette or courtesies and expecting others to do the same. This does not make us elitist.

To expect less from others is in a way a reverse prejudice ...it implies that they are unable or incapable of doing better...so we should just let them wallow in their indignities and rudness since they cannot change. I would rather not.
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Admiral

While I do agree with wishing that more people were taught courtesy, I simply don't believe that it has anything to do with how one dresses. I have known very wealthy people whose manners were as elegant as their attire, but others who were not only rude, but felt that they were entitled to be rude to "lower class" people. I have also known folks with less money who were well mannered and others who were rude. Just no correlation.
I also do not assume that not having/wearing formal attire automatically means that those people are deliberately breaking the rules of etiquette. Yep, some are, but some are not. It also does not automatically make them "socially ignorant". To paraphrase George Carlin (because I can't remember the exact words), "Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting battles of their own."
Intelligence, kindness, courtesy..these are all qualities that have nothing to do with money, social class or expensive clothing. Or handkerchiefs . To be clear here, I don't doubt that Norm really is a gentleman, but there is an old saying not to judge a book by its cover, so I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I let them let me know if they are well mannered and/or interesting to talk to.
Marty