Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Do u really think the ships personnel clean the bedspreads?

Sometimes I notice a not so fresh smell on the bedspreads. Most of the time we remove them because of the possibility. I never thought to ask the stewart about how often do they clean the spreads. I heard that a woman complained on the news about bugs in her bed sheets while on a cruise ship. The bugs bit her all over her legs while sleeping. That is a scary thought. So consider that on your next cruise or hotel visit. Also, it would be nice if they sanitze the life vest. Those vest smell horrible. GERMS, GERMS, GERMS. I guess u can call this a gripe.
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Having worked in the hotel industry I can answer that the bedspreads are not changed in the rooms after each visit nor are the blankets ... there are always clean ones available so one just has to ask ... there are those hotels that double sheet (placing a sheet underneath and on top of the blanket ...

As for on cruise ships, I would imagine it is the same ...

As for the bed bugs, those could have been brought in by a previous cruiser and they were most likely on the mattress ... so even if the sheets and comforter were changed this would not have stopped it ...

Candy

1st Cruise Fantasy 2004
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Admiral

All you have to do is either ask your cabin steward for a fresh bedspread or ask them if they vaccum the bedspread during their normal cabin cleaning, if they don't do that, ask if they could do that for you and give them a small tip for the extra service.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytten_kat
Having worked in the hotel industry I can answer that the bedspreads are not changed in the rooms after each visit nor are the blankets ... there are always clean ones available so one just has to ask ... there are those hotels that double sheet (placing a sheet underneath and on top of the blanket ...

As for the bed bugs, those could have been brought in by a previous cruiser and they were most likely on the mattress ... so even if the sheets and comforter were changed this would not have stopped it ...

Candy
yep we have all seen those exposes on hotel rooms and cruiseships.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
All you have to do is either ask your cabin steward for a fresh bedspread or ask them if they vaccum the bedspread during their normal cabin cleaning, if they don't do that, ask if they could do that for you and give them a small tip for the extra service.
I did and I do...no problem, the cabin steward was quick to oblige.
Old June 13th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT

Quote:

Candy
Candy u have confirmed what I knew all along. We just assume everything is clean. U finally arrive at your cabin and the first thing u do is plop on the bed. Imagine your face on a dirty spread. Cruise after cruise, it's just filthy. But thanx a bunch for that info. From now on I will ask my cabin steward to make my bed over and give him a tip when done. And again thank you

san
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Admiral

I hadn't thought of that.... ewwwwww!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Just think of all those people who have to bring their "special" pillow from home and all the "little friends" that live in it. That is what bothers me.

Then again you could would become a neurotic if you really thought about what constantly lives on and around you.

I personally give it the eyeball check and a travel Lysol spray down (both sides) and after that I don't care. There isn't much else I can do. After 20+ years of travel you get used to it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Yeoman

Just cruise in places warm enough that you can cope with only clean linen sheets for cover..............
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Yeoman

I only worry about the bugs I can see ...
Old June 29th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by san007
Quote:

Candy
Candy u have confirmed what I knew all along. We just assume everything is clean. U finally arrive at your cabin and the first thing u do is plop on the bed. Imagine your face on a dirty spread. Cruise after cruise, it's just filthy. But thanx a bunch for that info. From now on I will ask my cabin steward to make my bed over and give him a tip when done. And again thank you

san
What bothered me about that hotel ex'pose was the lights picking up dried semen on the bedspreads-YUK!!!
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Yeoman

and not just on the bedspreads ...
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bedbugs

Having had the pleasure of being attacked by bedbugs at a major hotel chain - I can assure everyone that bedbugs have nothing to do about how often the sheets are changed - or how clean the room is. The nasty buggers get into a room- and they are almost impossible to get rid of
Old July 5th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Semen, I never thought of that...YUCK!!!

Now, Ive got semen in addition to bedbugs to worry about. And one of you said that it was not only on the bedspreads but who knows where else. I will definitely bring Lysol with me. Ewwww I just had a thought, what about the pillows. Oh my goodness, now I am distraught.

san
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Admiral

You can make yourself so crazy over this stuff that you will become afraid to leave the house. While caution pays, germophobia can dominate your life, witness Howard Hughes. Most extreme germophobics I know are the unhealthiest people I know. More sick days, more illnesses which begs the question how much is psychosomatic?

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR.
You can make yourself so crazy over this stuff that you will become afraid to leave the house. While caution pays, germophobia can dominate your life, witness Howard Hughes. Most extreme germophobics I know are the unhealthiest people I know. More sick days, more illnesses which begs the question how much is psychosomatic?
I gotta agree with you!

I don't worry about germs, I never spray Lysol around my cabin or freak about the possibilities of stuff I can't see.
I DO wash my hands with plenty of soap and hot water, and I DO use the hand sanitizers offered on the ships.

I can't remember the last time I had a sick day from work ... not in the last seven years, I know for sure.
I've never been sick on a cruise ship either.
[Sound of Fruitcake knocking on wood!]
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Yeoman

Wow, did some of you actually think they washed the bedspreads between each person. That is a bit naive.
We always remove the bedspread the minute we arrive. We ask the stewart to take it away, and in a hotel , we do the same. We know they are not clean.
we don't freak out about blanket though, there is a sheet.
As for life jackets, they don't really need to be sanitized, I mean come on, someone is a bit germophobic !
I rarely get sick( and never have on a cruise) I wash my hands alot when in public places or cruising, but other then that, forget it, no lysol no nothing. I have been known to sit on toilet seats too( clean looking ones, ) . My bottom has never contracted leprosy from doing so, in fact I am amazingly healthy.

I do bring my own pillow though, I like it better, and obviously the dust mites that live in it are mine!
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Yeoman

You bring your pillow And you ask the steward to take the bedspread out of the room...okay your normal

That must be a big case you carry to include pillows See.... we all have our own little things that make us comfortable.

Laughing my sanatised butt off 8)
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
First Mate

I don't see what the big deal is. I always assumed that Seamen would be on a ship.

Oh what a minute, now I get it.
Forget the lysol, I'm wearing saran wrap.
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Yeoman

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Please tell me that are not a Catholic priest

No. you cant be as we use Father, not rev. Okay someone elses problem

Phew,
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Not all of the stewards who take care of your cabin are named Stewart!!! Everyone got that??????????????

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:29 PM
First Mate

David, I will say it slower so everyone gets it. SEA----MEN.
Notice that it is spelled differently?

And by the way, I am Catholic. :o

A deacon, not a priest. (In case any of you have read posts where I speak about having a wife. )
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Semen, I never thought of that...YUCK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by san007
Now, Ive got semen in addition to bedbugs to worry about. And one of you said that it was not only on the bedspreads but who knows where else. I will definitely bring Lysol with me. Ewwww I just had a thought, what about the pillows. Oh my goodness, now I am distraught.

san
You have a point there!
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg.
Wow, did some of you actually think they washed the bedspreads between each person. That is a bit naive.
We always remove the bedspread the minute we arrive. We ask the stewart to take it away, and in a hotel , we do the same. We know they are not clean.
we don't freak out about blanket though, there is a sheet.
As for life jackets, they don't really need to be sanitized, I mean come on, someone is a bit germophobic !
I rarely get sick( and never have on a cruise) I wash my hands alot when in public places or cruising, but other then that, forget it, no lysol no nothing. I have been known to sit on toilet seats too( clean looking ones, ) . My bottom has never contracted leprosy from doing so, in fact I am amazingly healthy.

I do bring my own pillow though, I like it better, and obviously the dust mites that live in it are mine!
Yep people will freak out about toilet seats abut think nothing of having a one night stand and exchanging body fluids with a total stranger. Something is WRONG with that picture to me.
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Please tell me that are not a Catholic priest

No. you cant be as we use Father, not rev. Okay someone elses problem

Phew,
Reverend is an adjective, not a noun.
That's why you will read "the Rev. Bob Smythe, pastor of ..."
You can use it with Catholic clergy too.
Using it as a noun, "The reverend came by for some apple cobbler" is technically correct, however; it's a colloquialism.

But used before the name of a clergyman, it is an adjective and requires "the" before "Reverend."

Amazing how this thread started off with bedspreads and ended up with this!!!
And I have to agree with the "stewart" comment.
It's a pet peeve of mine -- along with "dinning" room!
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Way to go Fruitcake!!! AMEN!!!

Celebrity Solstice--Nov.30, 2008
Our First Cruisemates Cruise!!!
Old July 8th, 2006, 09:55 AM
First Mate

If I ever have a steward who is named Stewart, I am going to get a photo with him and send it to the gallery.
It seems that everyone else has met him.
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Yeoman

Fruitcake... ...........respect. What a lovely name, suits you

Rev... ..........respect.

Getting some good people on here.
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Passenger

I am with you on the dinning. I always want to ask if the dinning room is where everyone goes to shout at each other.
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:00 PM
First Mate

So do you walk barefoot on the carpet in the cabin??

It is probably just as bad, if not worse than the bedspreads for bodily fluids.

Do you rest your head on the back of the seat in an airplane or in a movie theater? Those are probably two of the most underlooked areas for critters
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97