Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Passenger

Default Not Looking for Trouble!

I'm a brand new cruiser off to Alaska on the Sun Princess on July 16th.
I found CruiseMates by accident and have learned so much.
I learned that I MUST attend the muster drill.
I learned that I should take an extention cord.
I learned that there will probably be a lot of extra tipping expected.
I learned that there will be so many places to eat that I don't have to worry about what to wear.
I don't think I'll have to worry about saving lounge chairs on an Alaska cruise.
I thank all of you for all the valuable info.
Looking forward to a new experience.
gmann
Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What Port Are You Leaving From?

You leaving from Seattle or Vancouver?
I have lived in both cities - both are great - so make sure you leave some time to explore
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Passenger

We're leaving from Seattle, but the folks we were going with backed out so we're just doing the cruise this time. Always wanted to see Seattle, though. I think it will be a trip by itself sometime.
gmann
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Seattle

You can visit the downtown/Seattle center area in a few hours before the cruise leaves. The downtown area has free bus service, and the Seattle center is a half hour walk or short bus ride away. Have fun on your cruise - and bring a good sweater.
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Captain

Free bus service-Wow! I want to hear how it goes. My brother wants to take an Alaskan cruise. Please write in if you get a minute.

Karen
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Seattle Bus

There is a downtown area that one doesn't have to pay for bus service. That free zone starts south near the International District, goes to Pioneer Square (old Seattle), and continues north through the business district and the world famous Pike Street Market. It ends north somewhat before Seattle Center, but it is a fifteen minute walk to Seattle Center or a short bus ride away. One should always ask where the free zone is - so that you don't have to pay by mistakenly going past the free zone. One must pay to get to other parts of Seattle - but the price is reasonable and service is good.
Old June 20th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi gmann:
Ah...Alaska in July! Went there with Sun Princess in July 2002. 23 hrs of daylight.....warm sunshine and clean air! You will love it! Warning, take packets of OFF Insect Repellent if going ashore.....it's mosquito season and their bugs are so big you could put a saddle on them!!! No, really, I am serious about the flying insects, especially higher up like near Denali & Fairbanks if you go in that area. And you will need sunscreen; the sun is hardly ever obstructed by clouds, although each day could bring one or two brief passing rain storms, they don't last long. It gets humid also, don't expect a frost in July!

The people in Alaska are friendly, courteous and pleasant to chat with. It's a whole different world up there..........and pristine atmosphere....We are from NYC and had a tough time breathing in all that clean air!

Enjoy your trip; its all so breathtaking and surreal! The Sun Princess is a beautiful ship and the food is delicious!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Have a great time!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

A caveat about the free downtown bus service in Seattle. When the driver gets to the turnaround point, everybody must exit the bus while the driver takes his 10 minute smoke break. You have to cross the street and wait (in an unfriendly-looking environment), until the driver is ready to start on the return trip. This happened at both ends of the "free" bus trip.

LL