Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Default SALAD BAR - MOVE IT!!!

How many times have you gone to the buffet restaurant and are behind people that are so meticulous about putting together their salad that it holds up the entire line of people who just want the hot buffet!!! They take a few pieces of lettuce, don't like the looks of one piece on their plate, put it back, dig thru the lettuce the find a replacement that is just perfect in size and color....can't decide if they want shredded carrots or not....pick out the most perfect looking pieces of tomato and cucumber, decide they didn't get enough greens, double back to the lettuce bowl, can't decide which dressing they want, blah, blah, blah. In the interim, you are waiting in agony just to get a piece of chicken and don't want to cut the line. It would help tremendously if cruise lines would position their cold salad buffet away from the hot buffet items. Maybe some cruiselines already have this in place but not on the Carnival or RCCL ships I have sailed on.
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Yup! Good idea
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Admiral

I agree with you about the salad bar and also about long serving lines in the buffet in general.

Try the Radiance class ships of RCI. They have the best designed serving stations in the Windjammer that I have encountered.
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Princess also do a pretty good job handeling this. They have mini stations in the buffet area, not just one big line.
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Hal has the salad bar separate from the full buffet. It is great as we usually only have a salad for lunch and were spared the long lineups for the buffet. I did notice a much nicer attitude among the people in the lineup, there was a lot of moving past slow people who took a long time to decide what they wanted and no-one was snarky about it. It makes sense to move to open spots and not wait - also holding everyone else up - for slower people. The worst holdup in the breakfast buffet is the toast station which is manned by the worker making omelettes. When there are several people waiting for their omelettes you have to wait, letting your breakfast get cold, before being able to put your toast order in. IMO they should have the toast station with the juice as it is not nearly so busy there.
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

On my last 4 Carnival cruises (Glory, Spirit, Sensation, Fantasy), the salad bar had been a separate station from the hot buffet. I, too, like it much better like that.

Jodi
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

One reason why I love the Radiance class ships of Royal Caribbean, they have separate salad bars, one on each side, and they are round, so you can easily get what you want and no one is holding the line up, great idea!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Admiral

While I do like the idea of having the salad bar separate from other foods in the buffet line, I am one of those that is particular about what goes on my salad. If the salad bar was separate then people like me wouldn't have to deal with those who complain about how long we take to make our salads. Shouldn't I be allowed to have the freshest looking vegetables on my salad? Why would I want to just grab what's already been picked through? Why would I want old wilty looking vegetables to eat? As for most of the vegetable choices, it is safest to pick from the bottom where it is closer to the ice/cold. I feel I'm entitled to take the crunchy pieces of lettuce as opposed to the non crunchy if that's what I prefer. I would expect the people in the other parts of buffet to do the same. If there is fried chicken and you only like the breast, wouldn't you pick through the chicken to get just what you like?

In the past when I have been in a salald bar line and notice others waiting, I simply tell them to go around/ahead of me.
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Passenger

We went on the Enchantment last summer after it was stretched. They changed the Windgammer to a food court style - and it was wonderful! Lots of areas, no lines! Great food!
Majesty of the Seas 4/05
Disney Magic 8/04
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Yeoman

Seems the easy solution to me is to politely ask if you may "pass" them to get to the hot buffet.
I do like the Princesses set up, serveral smaller buffets, I just dart between them into free areas.
Old July 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

How about just speaking up & tell the person to move their butt?
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Beginner

Wow! Seems like we are a little bit hungry!! You are on vacation, people - a time to relax rather than telling someone to "move their butt" because they're taking their time to select their food.
Pass me if you want - I won't be offended, but please, don't ask me to move my butt!!
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hurry Up!

Hey - gotta hurry through the buffet line - what if they run out of food ?
Old September 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV
Default Re: SALAD BAR - MOVE IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
How many times have you gone to the buffet restaurant and are behind people that are so meticulous about putting together their salad that it holds up the entire line of people who just want the hot buffet!!! They take a few pieces of lettuce, don't like the looks of one piece on their plate, put it back, dig thru the lettuce the find a replacement that is just perfect in size and color....can't decide if they want shredded carrots or not....pick out the most perfect looking pieces of tomato and cucumber, decide they didn't get enough greens, double back to the lettuce bowl, can't decide which dressing they want, blah, blah, blah. In the interim, you are waiting in agony just to get a piece of chicken and don't want to cut the line. It would help tremendously if cruise lines would position their cold salad buffet away from the hot buffet items. Maybe some cruiselines already have this in place but not on the Carnival or RCCL ships I have sailed on.
Why on earth would you wait behind someone as they delve into the mysteries of one tomato slice over another? If there is no one ahead of them, why would you not simply walk around them. The only time you would wait is if you were planning on partaking of the said tomato slices.

Cheers,
Peter
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Captain

SALAD!? Give me the ribs!!! And a big piece of chocolate cake.

K
Old September 24th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Admiral

This is when a cattle prod comes in handy :o
Old September 24th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Yeoman

Agreed PeterV, there are manners and manners, and people like that are so absorbed in their own little world that they do not actually realise that half the ship is behind them in the line!!

Sometimes there a time and place for being courtise.

ps
Never experienced this, as I NEVER touch the salad bar
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

The funny part is? Salad has no taste! It's just a green leafy thing. And your stomach won't care either.

I see people do this & depending on the mood I'm in, I'll usually make a wisecrack; "That piece of lettuce now has mental anguish because you put him back". People look at me strangly & usually say, "I didn't like that piece or didn't like the look of it".

Then I say, "why? Did it threaten to bite you?". People behind me usually start cracking up by then. Hey, guess you have to be Irish/Italian to appreciate it. But it makes them hurry along.
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterV
Quote:
Why on earth would you wait behind someone as they delve into the mysteries of one tomato slice over another? If there is no one ahead of them, why would you not simply walk around them. The only time you would wait is if you were planning on partaking of the said tomato slices.

Cheers,
Peter
+1

If you not going to make a salad just buzz around them to the hot stuff. I see no problem with this.

When I go back for 2nds-4ths Im not going to stand and wait for someone to make a salad on their 1st pass through.

No etiquette problem at all.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HowAreYou Send a message via MSN to HowAreYou

Reading the complaints on this subject is kind of funny. I remember I went on a mini-cruise. And, yes you want to get to the food that you want but waiting 2 minutes won't change it..

The hot section will still be hot. There will DEFINETLY be food for you when you get there.

A lot of people on cruises act like food is going out of style or something. Pushing and shoving and the best is having 2 people stand on 2 different lines to see which moves faster. It's funny watching these people. It is your vacation just relax. Eventually you will get to where you want and will get food into your plate.

I doubt any of the people who are on cruises are starving to the point where they NEED FOOD INSTANTLY! Lol.
Old December 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Yeoman

Sad thing is they will, and if that means turning up 30 minutes before the dining room opens, then they will do it (and having been dressed, ready to go for an hour at least previous). I've never understood why some people have to do that, its like they are in a routine....got to be there for this time.

Its as if they have got be at the front to prove a point (for everything).....why, when there is plenty to go round 8) and no-one is going to steal your table or your meal Why block stairs etc in advance to get to a table and menu that was already yours an hour later?

And the same people will DIS those that they think are "tardy" because they turn up 10 minutes after "the meal officially started"

Whatever, I'll do ten minutes later, rather than "in the Q" half an hour in advance of getting to dine.

See how difficult it is to put a bunch of people together on a cruise that think the same way 8)
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default Salad bar idiots

I hear ya! I too have been in the same position. I would rather see the salad bar separate like the dessert area. I am not a huge salad fan, I will have salad occasionally, but NOT every meal. When in a buffet line, I am very aware that I have people behind me and I try to be as quick as I can without making a mess. Maybe it is because I am canadian, or maybe it is because I am courteous and know everyone wants to get their food and eat. At least it isn't like a sit-down buffet where table numbers are called.....

What irks me more is when your at a seated buffet where they call each table up and your so starving that you could eat the table leg they decided to call your table last, or second last. Finally, when you get to the buffet you realize there is NOTHING that you saw that you wanted to eat left, it has been picked over--this actually happed at a Xmas dinner where there was very little of anything left. It also irks me that when your called last the first tables called are right behind you going for seconds. Then the kicker, your barely finished your meal and they start to clean up!!!!! No chance for seconds......Desserts--that is another story (one year I actually went and got my desserts first because I knew, and it was true, they would be all gone by the time we were done!.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've never experienced slow salad-makers, but I do like the station concept of the buffet area on Jewel of the Seas. I've heard the buffet on Mercury is going to be reconfigured and hope they mean stations. We were on Mercury last winter and it still had the old cafeteria style. We don't use the buffet much, but it's much better with stations. We are booked for Mercury again next Jan. for Aust/NZ.

I have at times passed up people at a buffet to get to the next section when it wasn't crowded and I wasn't cutting in line.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like the ships that use the mini-stations instead of one long buffet line. The whole process is runs much faster and smoother since you can hop from station to station picking only the items you want, and not get stuck behind people mulling over items you don't.

I must say, however, that the mini-station buffets are TERRIBLE for my diet. With one long buffet line, I usually fill my plate only one time. It's just too much hassle to go back for seconds. But with the mini-stations, I find myself going back for 2nd's, and 3rd's, and 4th's...
Old April 24th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Passenger

I really dont know why they wouldnt section off the buffet lines,salad from entrees,desserts etc.Seems simple enough.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
This is the way I fel about the omelette stations, was glad to see on my last cruise that Carnival had made them separate.