Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Passenger

Default Large group bookings - your opinion?

What's your opinion on being informed of large group bookings on cruises.

I have been told by the cruise line (Carnival) that information on whether or not there is a large group booking is confidential.

I can understand keeping the name or other detail particulars confidential, but I think that if you ask, you should be able to know what type of group has booked - i.e. I would sure want to know if a cruise I was considering was hosting a large grad group! It would definately influence my decision.
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Most of the ships are large enough that you would not see the groups anyways IMHO.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Admiral

The only large groups that I encountered where wedding parties. hahaha

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Admiral

This past March on the Caribbean Princess there was a large group and it was no problem. At first Princess had decided to use one of the anytime dining just for this group but it seems that most of the group either didn't get the message or decided to just do what they wanted so Princess finally openned the dining room to anyone. And it didn't really cause any problems in the other dining room.

This particular large group also has a sailing this July for more. One thing that a bounch of people (not with the group) we talked with about this group was the fact that the corporation that was paying for the two group cruises (airfare included) had filed for bankruptcy only a few weeeks prior.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Admiral

just how large are you talking about? I think that if a specific group booked say half the ship for a conventions and they were planning on sponsoring seminars and things like that, then yes, you should be informed. Otherwise the ships are large enough to accomodate just about everyone
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I personally believe that if there is greater than 20% of the ship booked by an affinity group, passengers should be allowed to find out. However, they should be required to inquire themselves. I understand why cruise lines do not want to volunteer this information because people may wish to cancel that sailing or book another.

There are certain types of music and themes that I do not enjoy and if large groups or areas of the ship were taken by that I would have a problem with it. On one cruise I booked there was a type of music and theme that was booked that I did not enjoy and it did dampen the cruise experience because I found myself having to "avoid" it because groups were singing in the atrium areas, the hallways and the pool areas. They were also conducting "ad hoc" meetings in different areas. Also, there was a "speaker" at the beginning of the first show. There was a speaker scheduled for each show but it was canceled because of complaints from other passengers.

I don't think I would like to have that happen again.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:48 AM
First Mate

Default So what you are really saying is....

It is OK to DISCRIMINATE against a specific group?

Tsk, tsk!!!!

I thought we had moved beyond this as a society!!!!!
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Yeoman

My thought, large groups on a large ship can just become passengers and you will see them mostly as individuals.
UNLESS
The facilities on the ship suddenly get geared towards an individual group of people....I'm thinking dinning room here. Then people get pee'd off.
OR
Its the Olympic Sun tanning or swimming team…. and they have all the sun beds or hogging the pool.
OR
It’s something religious or of sexual orientation, then large groups like that could cause conflict or discomfort.

Yes, its then unfair that some groups could take a chunk out of that passenger list and others are left feeling uncomfortable.

In most cases, it’s acceptable. But the lines have to be honest in some cases.
Put it this way if they took a booking from 300 Bible thumping people...I would want to know.
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
I personally believe that if there is greater than 20% of the ship booked by an affinity group, passengers should be allowed to find out. However, they should be required to inquire themselves. I understand why cruise lines do not want to volunteer this information because people may wish to cancel that sailing or book another.
Well said!

Sometimes it helps to Google your ship's name and sailing date. Very often you will find out if there is a group booking your cruise.

As far Texasmunk's comment on discrimination: The cruise lines cannot discriminate. But individuals are free to choose whether they are comfortable with a certain group.
I agree with DavidBGood. [Hell freezes over. ]
There are certain groups I would not want to take over the ship.

Last year I had booked a HAL cruise and learned that a certain organization had reserved 400 rooms for a Family Values cruise, and they were advertising Bill O'Reilly as guest speaker for the event.
I was less than thrilled ... to put it mildly.
However, when they could not muster sufficient interest in the cruise, they canceled.
It may have turned out OK if the whole thing had come to pass, as Al Franken announced he was going to go too. Now THAT would have been entertaining!
Old June 30th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood

In most cases, it’s acceptable. But the lines have to be honest in some cases.
Put it this way if they took a booking from 300 Bible thumping people...I would want to know.
First, I'm not sure what 300 Bible thumpers would do on a cruise ship or why they would even WANT to be on a cruise ship. Second, I wouldn't want Bill O'Rielly OR Al Franken on a ship I was cruising, they're both idiots in my book!

Every cruise I've been on has had the "Red Hat Society" on it(they're pretty awesome partiers!), and my last cruise had a large booking of "little people" on board. I don't mind a large group if they are there to have a good time and cruise, or if what brings them there is some characteristic that they all have in common (i.e. being little people). However, if they are on board to get together to push a religious or political philosophy or some particular business venture, I'd rather not be on the ship with them.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Passenger

I have a problem with it if the group gets special treatment over other passengers, if it's a ship, or if it's a hotel. This will happen if there too many of one group, the rest of the guests get pushed aside.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Yeoman

I have heard of large groups taking over a pool or certain other parts of the ship, and *regular* passengers are not allowed in those areas.

If it's a small group, that would be less likely to happen.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Admiral

the smaller the ship the greater the chance of a large group (representing 33% or greater ) will have an impact (i.e ship holds 1800 group is 600)

On the 3,000 + psgr ship, the lesser the impact due to a greater amount of shipboard venues for the group .

I have been on both ends of that spectrum..Large groups did not impact our cruise in the least and in fact enhanced my cruise because usually during the day some of the events were open to the general ship
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:12 PM
First Mate

we were on a cruise where a bible study group held their studies every day around the aft pool. It was hard for the swimmers to get around them because they circled the pool and it also made people uncomfortable because the fully-dressed members of the group were clearly watching the people in swimsuits and commenting.

Another cruise had a group from a home-party sales company who took over 1 of the large venues several times during the cruise, reducing the number of events and movies that were available.

I assume you can tell that I'm not a fan of the large groups...
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Yeoman

I wouldn't be comfortable with a group of fully-dressed people meeting at the pool -- and me in a swimsuit!
I agree, Desdemona, some groups can take over various venues and the "other" cruisers have less choices.

I would hate to have a favorite bar on a ship, say the piano bar, become overrun with people from a single group. It's a lot more interesting when it's just a bunch of unaffiliated people who are more likely to mingle.