Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Yeoman

Default Sorry...I must have misheard

As some of you guys will know I'm just back off ship and will share with you my number one gripe.....STUPID People. I will not cast stones at any particular race, but lets say the accent was not mine.

In no particular order here are my top five overheard

Postcards: "Do they have a postal system in Europe and do they have stamps"

Pompeii: "Is this original"

Pompeii 2.. Husband explaining it to Wife: "A load of molten steel came out that mountain and caused this"

Athens Coliseum: "No way the Greeks could have built this"

Venice: "It’s not as clean or looks as new as the one in Vegas"

God love them........
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Admiral

If I had heard those statements I too would have thought "How Stupid". I don't think people from just any one place have it over any other for the ability to be Stupid!

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM
First Mate

In the immortal words of Forest Gump " Stupid is what stupid does".
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Admiral

to quote comedian Bill Engval " Here's your sign"
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Admiral

And in the words of Homer Simpson

"Lord help me. I'm just not that bright."

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

David:

Yep: They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, accents and sexes and unfortunately just about everyone, at some point in their life, has been or will be one.

The trick is not to be one on a regular basis.

Take care,
Mike

"Americans can't build anything to last. Nothing's over 200 years old."

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:45 AM
First Mate

Default And what is really scary.....

These people are allowed to VOTE!
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Yeoman

All in good fun, thanks guys.

But can I say 2,500 people on that cruise and if memory serves me right, I met Americans, Canadians, English , Welsh, Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Japanese cruisers .......and not one person (apart from one) stood out from the crowd, it was a happy ship.

What did amaze me was the reaction too one simple thing I did.
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Admiral

I'll bite. What was it?

Old June 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Yeoman

Hi Dina.....

I stood for what seemed like an age holding open one of the heavy wooden external doors for the people behind me (those doors are heavy).

It so happened it was a group of elderly Americans following my DW and I. One they seemed amazed I had done it and two it gave them days later an opening to talk to me. "Thats that Scots guy who held the door,, How you doin"

What's that all about? To me it was just manners
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

David,

I too am amazed that good manners are becoming a thing of the past. Holding doors, letting women or someone else go first, giving up your seat on the bus to a woman, child, or someone who really needs it are all becoming old hat.

It is becoming a "Me first" world.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Yeoman

You can see it on the road all the time.
People running red lights because THEY don't want to wait.
People cutting lines because why should THEY wait their turn?

You see it in stores, in the work place ... manners are fast disappearing.
I always hope a small kindness will encourage the recipient to do the same for someone else.
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Hi Dina.....

I stood for what seemed like an age holding open one of the heavy wooden external doors for the people behind me (those doors are heavy).

It so happened it was a group of elderly Americans following my DW and I. One they seemed amazed I had done it and two it gave them days later an opening to talk to me. "Thats that Scots guy who held the door,, How you doin"

What's that all about? To me it was just manners
I always turn and say Thank you when someone holds the door for me. The polite arts just seem to be fading away these days. I'll hold the door open for people as well. They give me this look. Hey.. Your hands are full come on through. Its nice to know there's other people out there who do the same thing.

Old June 30th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Yeoman

Don't you hate it when you hold a door open for people and they walk through it with a sense of entitlement and never say thank-you?
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Yep, done that a lot. Usually when they don't say Thanks, I'll say
" thank you " to them.

However, there can be a down side to being polite--- years ago they used to have door prizes at functions, gatherings, etc. Once we walked up to the door at about the same time as another couple. I pulled the door back and said go ahead. They did--- and didn't even say thanks--- they got the winning ticket for a polaroid camera outfit and I got zero. But, I think I was the winner overall.
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Yep, done that a lot. Usually when they don't say Thanks, I'll say
" thank you " to them.

However, there can be a down side to being polite--- years ago they used to have door prizes at functions, gatherings, etc. Once we walked up to the door at about the same time as another couple. I pulled the door back and said go ahead. They did--- and didn't even say thanks--- they got the winning ticket for a polaroid camera outfit and I got zero. But, I think I was the winner overall.
Wow ... sounds like a scene in a sitcom!

But you are right, you were the winner overall.
Old July 1st, 2006, 04:10 PM
Yeoman

For all my big mouth, certain BASIC things are important tom me in how we deal or act with each other.

If we lose those values, then what the hell are we trying to teach the rest of the world in the conflicts we find ourselves in regarding values and acceptability.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 08:02 AM
Admiral

As a gentleman, I always hold the door, open car door, pull and push the chair, do the trash and clean the dishwasher for my DF!!

No Foolin'...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:37 PM
First Mate

then, there are the people who come in late at a movie or concert and walk in front of you (and on your feet) to get to their seats, go back and forth multiple times for popcorn and bathroom breaks, and never once say "excuse me". And, it's not just young people but people of all ages.
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Captain

Hey,
I missed this thread. Good for you David B. It feels nice to have the door opened. It seems so rude to let it go in someones face.

I was with a co-worker/freind in his 70"s and he even opened my car door whenever I would get out or into the car. Or he would stay standing until I would sit down. It took me about 30 seconds to figure out he was standing until I sat. Wow! Now that kind of treatment makes one feel like a lady.
He said his generation does that but he felt that younger American men in their 50's tend to not do those things anymore.
One time, I was walking into a store and two young foreign men stopped to let me go in first. We American ladies love it. Don't be fooled!

David,
I hope you put some pictures or write a little something about your cruise. I am curious about the Med. cruises.

Karen
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

i always hold the door for people, i also stop to help people change their tires. when i was a younger kid (10-13 years old i forget exactly) we were traveling to the jersey shore with my younger brother and two other 7 or 8 year olds and two dogs when we got a flat tire. two 20 something guys pulled over changed the tire (before my dad could get there) my mom tried to tip them but they said no and looked at me and told me that when I am older and I see his mom on the road broke down I should stop and help her. That is what I call pass it down!
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:31 AM
Captain

Wow, that is a good story Eric. You should send it to Readers Digest.

Karen
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
As a gentleman, I always hold the door, open car door, pull and push the chair, do the trash and clean the dishwasher for my DF!!

No Foolin'...
That is sweet of you-but it IS a dying coutesy. I know when I was pregnant 22 years ago I was so surprised that total strangers would open the door for me-men and women both. I never did get used to it but I did always thank them.

It also taught me something. If I see a young pregnant woman struggling or a young mom with a couple of toddlers I always hold the door to help them. I remembere how much I appreciated that. It never hurts to be nice! and most do THANK me I am glad to say-so many are still decent people!

Now I have also done this for little old ladies- and only maybe 25% of time do they thank me-most look at me suspicously!!!!
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE11378
i always hold the door for people, i also stop to help people change their tires. when i was a younger kid (10-13 years old i forget exactly) we were traveling to the jersey shore with my younger brother and two other 7 or 8 year olds and two dogs when we got a flat tire. two 20 something guys pulled over changed the tire (before my dad could get there) my mom tried to tip them but they said no and looked at me and told me that when I am older and I see his mom on the road broke down I should stop and help her. That is what I call pass it down!
Hubby used to help changing tires for lone helpless women until around here a scam was going around. A man would stop to help and then the woman's accomplicaes would jump out and rob the poor guy and sometimes carjack him too.

Now hubby will call the police and tell them there is a stranded driver and where they are. It is a shame you have to be suspious of everyone now-a- days.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hitchhiking

How many of you are old enough to remember when hitchhoking was an acceptable means of transportation...and everybody would pick you up...
Another reflection of change in our society...

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Yeoman

You know thats a really good point.

I drive 50 miles twice a day back and forward from work, home to Edinburgh = 100 miles per day.

I drive the most scenic route from my home to Edinburgh, and because of that you get all sorts on the road "hitchin" during peak vacation

Will I do it no, will I take the risk of inviting a "nutter" into my car..NO

What caused that? Was it too many American "road movies". I dont know.

I cant say that here in Scotland that there has been any incidents from picking up strangers...but something has made me think twice.

Is it how we as individuals see society and others around us....thats sad.
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:06 PM
First Mate

Default Sorry...I must have misheard

Guess I am one of a dying breed.

I was taught to respect my elders, help anyone in need that I could, be polite and courteous to EVERYONE, not be a bigot, not be judgemental, open doors for people, especially ladies etc.

That was the era and climate in which I was raised growing up. These things have "stuck" with me, and I guess I will do them from now on. Sometimes I get a strange look from the "younger" generation when I hold a door open, let them go (in) first etc. I have two boys (men now) and I taught them to live by these same principles, and they do.

Also, when I was growing up, we never locked our doors (small town) unless we were going a distance away. Today, I lock the doors everytime we leave the house. There are enough "break-ins" around here even with the doors locked.

Yes, I do remember the hitchhiker days. We sould pick up ANYONE that was hitching. Today, I would not pick anyone up unless I knew them. There have been a number of incidents here in Texas of bad things happening to people that have picked up hitchers.

memofmeg, I am like your DH now, and all of these things mentioned are a dying courtesy. I don't know if it is not as much parental control as when I (we) were growing up. I know that my grandkids aren't learning many of these courtesies since their parents divorce. Their mother is "in love with her job", at odds with us, and the kids are taken home by my son and they go inside and lock the doors until their mother gets home from work......

mehawk, I also help my DW "do the chores"..Seems only fair, we are both in this thing together. The husbands of a few of our younger friends never help our with any housework, and when they get home from work have (let) their wives get them a drink, put their shoes away etc.

Glad my parents raised me like they did !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, didn't realize I had rambled on so.

crabbie1
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Nothing like good manners.It's the way Mom taught us.
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I worked on Wall Street just weeks after 9/11. I saw all sorts of stuff on the subway ride down; fights, arguements, fake nuns begging for money, etc. The one thing that did peeve me was some men never getting up for a pregant woman. I have given up my seat for a pregant woman or a woman with a child many times.

As for the door holding? Well, all is not dead yet. The men on Wall Street (bless their souls, they were brought up right!) always held open doors for me.

When I held a door open for someone & they didn't say, "Thank you", I use to yell (very loud mine you) "YOU'RE WELCOME!". Makes people feel an inch high. :evil:
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Admiral

When I was pregnant with my now almost 16 yo, I rode MARTA (Atlanta subway) to and from work each day.

I was one of those ENORMOUS pregnant women and in my 8th month, businessmen in nice suits and ties would sit with their morning papers while I stood the 20 minutes to downtown.

You want to know who consistently got up and gave me their seats while the middle class businessmen sat ignoring me? The young black men that got on at the housing project stops.

Just goes to show you that money doesn't always equal respect or manners...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04