Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Captain

Default lost luggage problem in Italy

Be warned that the luggage problem of lost bags is worse in Italy. `separate your clothes into diferrent bags. `bring some on the carry on. Take the travel insurance for losing bags. I saw a couple who were very frustrated to get bags for cruise. I say get insurance and take a chill pill because you have to go with the flow. I never read this problem on this board yet but I am sure you have seen it when outside country travel.

K
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Travel Insurance

One should always get travel insurance - especially when going overseas. It should just be made a part of the travel budget. Why take chances on anything when cheap affordable travel insurance is available?
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I always take out insurance, and thanks for the advice. I will be traveling to Italy next year to catch the Freedom Transatlantic, I will definitely take a carryon with clothes for a couple of days.

Jodi
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Yeoman

Whenever hubby and I travel by air, regardless of destination, we always pack each suitcase with 1/2 and 1/2 , half his , half mine. That way if a suitcase is lost or late, at least you will still have clothes.
The destination is not important, Italy is not the problem, it happens everywhere, I know, as I have lost luggage in many places!
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Guess I have been lucky so far...never ever had a bag lost. But I am sure my time is due, I just hope it isn't for my first international trip.

Jodi
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Yeoman

As an aside, on leaving our last ship in Rome and the usual by ticket color "get off now please" scenario.

A couple on our color found that "somehow" from placing luggage outside the cabin to picking it up on shore at the terminal. That one of their cases had gone, disappeared.

The official line I heard from the rep was "it is not on the ship, someone must have lifted it by mistake thinking it was theirs. So have a look at the airport".......EHHH...... And she could say that within 30 seconds of the person enquiring and with a straight face....saying its not our fault, as this ships dancer, come on shore rep. Did not know how to deal with it....SO I will palm you off with a smile and being nice, and blamed everyone else, is that what I seen?

Okay these things can happen, but to just dismiss it that way...mmm.

This is NOT like me, but am I being synical here. Is it once off.. once forgotten, so let your insurance or YOU deal with it, as we just want you on the bus and get ready for the next load of cruisers. But say it with a smile and have a nice day. That works

bollocks
Old July 28th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Captain

This problem is everywhere but 10% is high, isn't it? It affected about 10% of our group. Actually, it was more than 10%. I saw the same dismissal at the airline David. I saw people wait up to a week and a half without getting their luggage.

The American couple was ranting and raving about luggage being lost for almost a week and I just thought, you better start doing some shopping before you set sail.

Things are just done differently in Italy. You have to be prepared and go with the flow.

Jodi,
When you go to Italy, will you have a connecting flight? I hear Milan airport is worse than Rome for misplacing luggage.
I can't wait to hear about your trip.

I must say, the male flight attendants were to die for on Alitalia. Drool, drool! Now that was a very pleasant 9 hour flight.

Karen