Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:40 PM
First Mate

Desdemona01, Come on in, the water's fine!

All are welcome here! Sometimes we like to vent and then we all form a group hug and live happily ever-after.
I was a bit resentful when I started this thread because I had recently been high-jacked. I realise that some posters have more time on their hands than others, or are just able to type faster than I so they post more often. (No Barb there.)

Momofmeg - The reason for the post is that when I need information, I do not want to e-mail the cruiseline and get the company spill. I want unbiased opinion from fellow cruisers. I do not mind waiting a week for an answer, I just do not care to wade through all of the chatter to finally have someone answer my question.

O.K. Everybody lean close to your monitors. I think it is time for that hug!

Can you feel the Love?
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Admiral

I enjoy reading the threads at CruiseMates. Sometimes they/WE do go off the main post...but like momofmeg wrote: Just redirect your question Or ask it again.

I believe these threads are for information AND FUN! Even when discussing serious issues...it can be done in an forum of easy friendliness.

So...sometimes when the discussion gets a little too intense...a fellow cruisemate poster might add a funny zing to lighten the mood...Everyone adds to the mix!
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Ohhhh I want in on the group hug.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Yeoman

ReverendJeff wrote this in his first post: You can now feel free to post a reply that has nothing to do with my gripe.

I think a lot of people took him at his word and posted all kinds of things ... and I think it was a lot of fun! I especially liked the posts about cookies!

It's just that some posts get misinterpreted ... and away we go!

BTW, this is a thread for gripes, so there is always going to be a complainer in the bunch.
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Can we all just get along?
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
ReverendJeff wrote this in his first post: You can now feel free to post a reply that has nothing to do with my gripe.

I think a lot of people took him at his word and posted all kinds of things ... and I think it was a lot of fun! I especially liked the posts about cookies!

It's just that some posts get misinterpreted ... and away we go!

BTW, this is a thread for gripes, so there is always going to be a complainer in the bunch.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM
First Mate

No we cannot all just get along as long as there is a class system, and I am not near the top. Just forget about the cookie recipes and send the cookies instead.
By the way I prefer chocolate chip.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
My thoughts too. As far as some people having so many posts. Some people are just lonely and spend alot of time on messageboards-maybe they have no family and live alone, or they are retired or they have bad health so they can no longer work for a living.

Don't be so criticial of others. What I do if things go off on a tangent is I post and redirect my question. My questions have always been aswered also and only within a day or two. Surely you can wait that long for your question to be answered.

If NOT e-mail the cruiseline direct-they ususally can answer your question. But beware-they may take a week or longer!
I would rather put up with tangents and get my question answered sooner myself.
Oh, wow!!!
Who's being critical of others here?
I think I feel a barb sticking out of my back ...

The tone of this whole thread has been playful up until now.

First of all, my comment about people going off on tangents was not meant to be critical and I am sorry you chose to take it that way.
All I said is that people go off on tangents and conversations evolve. What is critical in that? I didn't say it was a bad thing! I get sidetracked all the time -- that's what makes the world go round!

If you notice, I went off the track too -- intentionally -- as did others. It was very funny -- we were taking our cue from the OP and having some fun!!!

I ASKED the OP if he thought people were posting to acquire a better status on the board -- which, if their posts are nothing more than an attempt to increase their #s, is not contributing to the board.
Then it's just a game to them.
I have seen this happen so many times before on other borads -- a race to get to a certain level of posts. People type in one or two words for a post just to increase their numbers.

Hey -- let them, if it makes them happy. But it still contributes nothing.
Nope you are reading things in my post that was not there. I think maybe you are the one who wants to start a problem.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff
No we cannot all just get along as long as there is a class system, and I am not near the top. Just forget about the cookie recipes and send the cookies instead.
Now watch someone come along and find your first sentence to be serious instead of tongue-in-cheek!!!

I love oatmeal cookies, and I believe those were the topic of discussion a while back, so why are you changing it to chocolate chip?

**Note: Yes, that last remark was also tongue-in-cheek.**

If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane.

Now let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya!
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:03 PM
First Mate

[
Quote:
[/quote]

When we're done can we make S'mores over the campfire?
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:06 PM
First Mate

No we cannot make smores around a campfire. I am not sure we can trust DBG around fire.
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Now watch someone come along and find your first sentence to be serious instead of tongue-in-cheek!!!

I love oatmeal cookies, and I believe those were the topic of discussion a while back, so why are you changing it to chocolate chip?

**Note: Yes, that last remark was also tongue-in-cheek.**

If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane.

You know I have not find the good ole rev's posts offenseive at all and never said or posted I did-but I can say this FUITCAKE fits you to a tee!
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM
First Mate

Default Now you're resorting to insults?

Quote:
[

You know I have not find the good ole rev's posts offenseive at all and never said or posted I did-but I can say this FUITCAKE fits you to a tee!
Gee, nowhere did I see that FRUITCAKE referred to anyone by name or even implied it was directed at a specific person, let alone you! Before you start insulting people and making fun of their screen names maybe you should have your facts straight. You appear to be determined to start a fight on this thread.
Old July 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM
First Mate

As Mr. Buffet says; "there's a little bit of fruitcake left in everyone of us."

I suggest that we start a new thread for cat fights and see what happens. We could also allow the guys to verbally box. Cruisemates could charge us to go to "special" pay per post areas on the sight and two posters could go head to head.
8) I smell money!

Now, seriously, has anyone ever gone to Playa Mia, SanFranciso beach or Passion Island? If so, what are your thoughts?
That is the question that caused me to start this thread. If someone would just answer that, we could just stop all this nonsense.

Fruitcake, Keep spreading those crumbs!
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
As Mr. Buffet says; "there's a little bit of fruitcake left in everyone of us."

I suggest that we start a new thread for cat fights and see what happens. We could also allow the guys to verbally box. Cruisemates could charge us to go to "special" pay per post areas on the sight and two posters could go head to head.
8) I smell money!

Now, seriously, has anyone ever gone to Playa Mia, SanFranciso beach or Passion Island? If so, what are your thoughts?
That is the question that caused me to start this thread. If someone would just answer that, we could just stop all this nonsense.

Fruitcake, Keep spreading those crumbs!
Thanks for recognizing the screen name -- and thanks for your levity and keen insight!
Yep ... we need more fruitcakes in this world and less bakers.

If someone starts a thread for cat fights, count me OUT!
I don't particulary enjoy those things -- and I try to ignore those who make snarky comments and look to start things.
I've been blessed with a terrific memory [too good, my husband says] so I will remember those who try to provoke ... after all, I'm Irish!

Half-baked cookies in the oven ...
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Now you're resorting to insults?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona01
Quote:
[

Gee, nowhere did I see that FRUITCAKE referred to anyone by name or even implied it was directed at a specific person, let alone you! Before you start insulting people and making fun of their screen names maybe you should have your facts straight. You appear to be determined to start a fight on this thread.
Desdemona, it's painfully obvious, isn't it?
Some people need to get lives!

In all the many, many message boards I've belonged to, I've never had someone stoop so low as to make fun of my screen name -- or witnessed anyone make fun of another's screen name.

It makes me think of middle school!

Sticks and stones ... etc. etc.
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM
First Mate

thank you reverendjeff for your common sense and humor! Both are sorely needed in this world.

I'm very sorry but I've never been to those ports. I hope someone can answer your question.

Now it's time to get back to my space station/bake shop
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm just looking for posters who use ALL CAPS!!!

LL
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Someone who wears all "caps"? <just kidding>

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Excuse me guys...but where's the cookie receipt??????

Sorry wrong thread...
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
[

Actually fruitcake has blasted me for having "no sense of humor". since he quoted me I would say he was directing it at me. Fruitcake has also blasted others-now maybe he did not directly quote them like me- I don't remember-I do know he directly quoted me. Before you post something-you should read this whole thread so you understand what I am posting and why.

I am sure Fruitcake understood what I meant-just showing him I DO have a sense of humor! fruitcake is the perfect name for him!
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Yeoman

I don't *blast* people. But I am not afraid to express my opinion.
In your first post to me, if you recall, you told me not to be so critical.
I defended myself from your criticism.

And btw ... I'm a girl.
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Before you post something-you should read this whole thread so you understand what I am posting and why.

I am sure Fruitcake understood what I meant-just showing him I DO have a sense of humor! fruitcake is the perfect name for him!
[/quote]

Once again, you're putting your own motives onto someone else. I DID read the entire thread before I posted and what I saw was you getting hostile with her before she ever said anything to you. What I have seen from reading this entire thread is you being negative every time someone tried to inject any humor or lightness to it. Again, I think it is really low to make fun of someone's screen name. Even though reverendjeff explained where Fruitcake got her name from, you keep attaching a connotation to it that is very insulting. Please take your anger and insults somewhere else.
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Yeoman

Thanks, Desdemona!
I figured you had read the entire thread, given what you previously posted.

ReverendJeff ... are we far enough off track yet with this thread?
I am sure you've gotten a lot of laughs along the way -- but once in a while these things get derailed at the slightest provocation.

Half-baked cookies in the oven,
Half-baked people on the bus ...
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Passenger

Quote:
What in the name of all that is good and holy did I start?
I don't know......but it's gonna blow!!!!!!!!!

Have Scooter,,,,,Will travel

I get knocked down, but I get up again, cause {b}no ones{/b} gonna keep me down.
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ranking Posters!

Quote:
I have now figured out how folks go from beginer to Admiral in such a short time. I have been a victim of message high-jacking!
My gripe is for example, when I posted a specific question under the Carnival board, people reply with information that has NOTHING to do with answering my question. It then gets worse because others read that tidbit and a conversation ensues over topics that do not pertain to my question.
I then of course get an e-mail notifying me that someone has replied to my question, and I check it to find that it is just a high-jacker.

There, I have it off my chest and feel better. You can now feel free to post a reply that has nothing to do with my gripe.
You see...it does't take much to high-jack a thread. Most of the time it's not on purpose...it just happens, like a voiced conversation. You start talking about one thing, it leads to something else and something else...and before you know it. you're talking about something totally different. If you want to get back on track...just repeat the OP question again...It can be great fun (most of the time) as you can see.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Before you post something-you should read this whole thread so you understand what I am posting and why.

Once again, you're putting your own motives onto someone else. I DID read the entire thread before I posted and what I saw was you getting hostile with her before she ever said anything to you. What I have seen from reading this entire thread is you being negative every time someone tried to inject any humor or lightness to it. Again, I think it is really low to make fun of someone's screen name. Even though reverendjeff explained where Fruitcake got her name from, you keep attaching a connotation to it that is very insulting. Please take your anger and insults somewhere else.[/quote]

You know I will just leave this thread. It has become an attack on me it seems. I guess I will post elsewhere to make my admiral status.

Oh yes fruitcake-I am more irsh then anything myself.
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Ranking Posters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
You see...it does't take much to high-jack a thread. Most of the time it's not on purpose...it just happens, like a voiced conversation. You start talking about one thing, it leads to something else and something else...and before you know it. you're talking about something totally different. If you want to get back on track...just repeat the OP question again...It can be great fun (most of the time) as you can see.
I agree -- it be great fun!
And I want to thank RevJeff for providing us with the opportunity to get off track here.

There are some pretty clever people who have posted!

Good advice on how to get back on track, Fieldmouse.
Old July 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
First Mate

Thanks for all of this wonderful chatter.
As for my original post, I have made a bold decision in the absence of any real input. I am just going to take the family to Mr. Sancho's, enjoy some sun and some food and beverages, and then grab a taxi to show them around.
Next trip, when it is just the wife and I, we will try out an all-inclusive.
My cruise leaves in 16 days and at this point, I am just ready to get on the ship.
I do pledge to you, when I get back I will try to have a full review of the cruise within a week. I will also try to find a good cookie recipe. And of course, I will stop at the Collins Street Bakery, on my way down to Galveston to enjoy a sample of fruitcake.
I am happy that I have assisted in getting so many of you a little closer to Admiral.
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM
First Mate

Default reverendjeff

I know you'll have a wonderful cruise! I'm looking forward to reading about it when you return. I must admit to a bit of jealousy because our cruise is still 4+ months away....