Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM
First Mate

Default Cruise Line loyalty Programs

Stole this idea from "antoher board" changing the topic just a bit...

Right now we get one credit fore each cruise. SOme suggest credits should be based on:

Number of nights sailing
Expense of cabin
Onboard spending

What are your thoughts?

Should the guy who takes a 3 day cruise get the same credit as the 14 day cruiser?

Should the inside bottom of the ship get the same credit as the guy in the suite?

How about those that get on a ship with a $20 bill and never need to break it versus they guy who ha a big bar bill and shoppes bill?
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Admiral

i like your ideas! A person who splurges for a Presidental Suite on a 14 day exotic cruise should get more credit than a person who books the lowest catagory inside cabin on a 3 dayer.(for example)
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Admiral

now you understand the challenges of loyalty reward programs that the airlines face..the airlines would like it based upon revenue spent (cost of the ticket) or flight length but due to competition, they have to do trips ..the cruise lines are now faced with a like situation

In the best of worlds it should be based on revenue spent per cabin (excluding "comp' upgrades) per day cruised, with a bonus for onboard spending (based upon usage of sign and sail card)..thus you cover the guest that books the lowest inside cabin, but spends a fortune on bar tab, shore excursions and bingo etc...another way is the Holland American formula, how many days you cruise..Since they have several longer cruises this works for them

Of course the Carnival Corporation could utilize a synergy system to reward their various brands, as they are now beginning to do so a premier customer is recognized on any of their brands

I'm still upset they don't give credit for cruises I took on the various cruise lines before they introduced a loyalty program..I'll never receive credit from Carnival for sailing them their first year on the Mardi Gras and Carnivale and the second (or third I forget since it was so long ago), the Festival and Tropicale and for not receiving credit from Royal Caribbean for sailing on Western Cruise Lines Azure's of the Seas back in 1986 !!!
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Yeoman

Some lines are giving extra credits for longer cruises. I would like to see credit for all cruises in a particular company and not just the line. An example: I have sailed both RCCL and Celebrity. Their program says if you are at a certain level (Say Diamond on RCCL) then you are at the equivilant level if you go on Celebrity. But I'd rather they track all of your cruises within their company. Right now I have 4 RCCL cruises under my belt and one Celebrity. If they tracked the company cruises, then my next scheduled cruise this fall on RCL would put me in the next level. As it is, I get to the next level AFTER this cruise.

I don't think the amount of money or type of cabin should affect your loyalty points. Instead, I think they should give you different perks for different types of cabins. Say you book an inside cabin; maybe (if you are part of the loyalty program) they could give you a basket of fruit in your cabin, if you book an ocean view, give you a bottle of wine; if you book a balcony, give you a bottle of wine and cheese tray, & if you book suites, get wine, cheese and canapies. Or something like that.
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Admiral

cruisequeen..very insightful observations..however, in the cold cruel world of business...money talks...very astute cruisers who spend the big bucks will be siphoned off to the smaller luxury lines because they feel that the major "trunk" cruise lines don't recognize them for the money spent (there is no "real" status in being a "diamond plus" member of Royal Caribbean by cruising on them 10 times in a suite when you are equated the same status by just purchasing the cheapest inside cabin for 10 cruises)...small gifts are in your cabin are nice, but big more expensive gifts are better

Cruise line marketing people have to walk a fine line because they "sell" a luxury experience for everyone..sort of a "one class" status..which goes contrary to the "golden age of cruising in different classes" concept. The parallel is that flying first class on an airplane is not like it was 20 years ago

IMHO you are right on target with your second point regarding "perks"

Last year I was on a full charter jazz cruise on the Conquest. You had the option of purchasing a VIP pass or one was provided if you paid for a suite...there were some very definite perks with the VIP pass (priority seating at all the concerts, private invites to meet the jazz musicians in a very small upclose setting etc)...

The challenge for the cruise lines being successful..it is possible that on a particular sailing the majority of the passengers have elite status which defeats the purpose of being elite
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

When I was appraoching Platinum with RCI. They weren't recognizing my 1990 cruise on the Song of America. I told them about it, they asked for the sailing date and counted it. I still have the Sign and Sail card. It was handwritten with my cabin number on a paper card. We were buried all the way forward inside on deck two for our honeymoon.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Dave The Wave...What Royal Caribbean told me was that Western did not keep accurate records..I even offered to send them a picture of me on deck with the captain
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I don't know about Western. Song of America was a great ship and is still sailing in Europe under another name. Some British company I think. This was soon after Sovereign came out.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I can see using the number of nights and onboard spending(hard to track the spending though), but not necessarily the cost of the cabin. I am a solo traveler and I already get gouged with the single supplement (I won't pay the supplement for anything higher than an inside cabin), however, my Sign and Sail card is ALWAYS at least double what I pay for my cabin. I got to Platinum Status with 7+ night cruises (except for first 2) and yes, it does seem that basing it on nights would be a good alternative. I have taken some shorter ones since becoming Platinum, but since there is no level above that, I am not striving for another level. I have friends who are up to 6 cruises - all 3 nighters. They are at 18 total nights, and my first 6 cruises totaled 36 nights. As of right now on CCL, I have 77 nights - 83 by end of 2006, and 104 by end of 2007 (still have one 7 night to book for next March)- I would definitely agree that number of nights would be a better way to go.

Jodi
Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
Passenger

Most Cruise lines will correct it for you with a simple email.