Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Admiral

My silence between posts is simply that I often forget which threads I randomly post on. I am most frequently found in the "People" section of CM so it is wrong to assume that silence may mean anything but what I have just stated.

I do not disagree that playing it safe and not traveling to questionable parts of the world sends a message to people or organizations that threaten our freedom that their ploys are working.

To have the attitude that "I am not going to allow these kinds of people affect my life" and go bullrushing into situations just to prove a point is wrong. It puts you possibly in harms way for no other reason than to prove a point.

Saying that you expect a government to protect the people working in dangerous areas is not off base. If you make the choice to accept a position like this you must accept the risks and how far the government is willing to go to protect or save you and you shouldn't complain about what the decision is because YOU made a choice.

To say a cruise ship or airline would never travel somewhere to put you in harms way is somewhat untrue since with terrorism the idea is to strike where least expected.

So having said this and being a patriotic American who has served in the US Army for 4 years and willing to fight if called upon ( I still am) I don't feel it is necessary to take chances. Your asking 2-3 thousand non combat citizens like senior citizens, handicapped people, childen, men and women to possibly place themselves in harms way without any way to protect themselves. I also feel, regarding my original post saying "stay home" that there is so much to see in our country that there is no need to travel abroad. Spend your money here, help other citizens of your country. We as a nation give enough money away with me giving away more.

Since I enjoy cruising I will of course continue to spend money outside our country, almost contradicting myself, until Carnival figures out a way to cruise to Vegas or Breckenridge, so I can ski, I am stuck with the caribbean and the like. Unless I am equipped with an M-16, ammo, flack jacket and a division of men with the same attire I would not feel safe. But the great thing about being American is YOU have the choice.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Default where's the freedom then???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
Here's a thought. Stay in your own country. where you belong. Unless you are forced to travel to or work in another country I don't want to hear about it!!

BIG NO,rescuedad,
you are not belong to world if you never lived beside then where you born and raised.you're living just like a prisoner.

i have never known if i didn't start to live in US (safer but),
how greater life(socializing and fun) i used to live.
i'm not forcing but paying bunch of money just to refresh my memory whenever i can..

and i also wonder why some american didn't want to live in rusia back then in time.

hope you got my point right didn't want to be mean or criticize or putting down at all.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Yeoman

I think I get the message free spirit, and good for you. I am so pleased that the values that the USA offers, have come true for you as a person.

You enjoy...but as for the Russian quote and why not....

One: they would have been seen as traitors to go live in Russia

And two, they would have never dealt with the lines at the supermarket

I think its only one way traffic on that line of thought
Old November 25th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Admiral

all I have to say is-I don't care if I was offered a million dollars-there is NO WAY I would take a job in Iraq. Too dangerous and I will also not vacation in that part of the world.

Hey, right now, you could not pay me to go to France, since anti-american sentiment is very strong there. I would love to go there some day- but not now.
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Yeoman

See thats the type of "stereo typical" post that winds me up.

Okay momofmeg, Iraq agreed, but what in Gods name do you have as evidence that would make you as an American person feel at risk in FRANCE.

Nonsense. as you may be confusing an "anti Iraq" feeling in some people, against the chance of personal harm as an individual or a nation within that country.

In civilised society's (and we have them in Europe). Peoples personal or polital opinions regarding what they feel is right or wrong is done by opinion and not violence,,,its only opinion. And if that frightens you, sorry.

Show me a news story that says an American was harmed in France, because of Iraq?
Old November 25th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
See thats the type of "stereo typical" post that winds me up.

Okay momofmeg, Iraq agreed, but what in Gods name do you have as evidence that would make you as an American person feel at risk in FRANCE.

Nonsense. as you may be confusing an "anti Iraq" feeling in some people, against the chance of personal harm as an individual or a nation within that country.

In civilised society's (and we have them in Europe). Peoples personal or polital opinions regarding what they feel is right or wrong is done by opinion and not violence,,,its only opinion. And if that frightens you, sorry.

Show me a news story that says an American was harmed in France, because of Iraq?
Not at risk, David, just disliked. I just don't want to be judged because I am an american and because of the policies of who happens to be in political office in the US. When things are better I will go there.
Old November 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Passenger

not much time to input now,but this thread is going well under subject,
momofmeg, yes ,i don't think you are wrong,
even me(know how to talk and act like local at someplace) we all are at more risk outside the state after iraq happened.,maybe physicsal,or maybe verbal,may just ignored.may nothing happen .but non of these people have never known anything about american or their values or how your life is like.most of them have WRONG opinion..

but the france is total differant story for a american.but to me you're right again.
they all learning ing but they dont want speaking it,if you are in france and ask a french guy help,you will see most rude, ignorent person in your life.not becouse they hate you,they just want to save their language.and this is not a new story.
talk to you .
Old November 25th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Admiral

In all countries that I have visited, I have tried to be friendly and have never been treated rudely.

I do suppose that there have been many Americans who expected residents of foreign countries to speak English and were dismayed when they did not. I have visited France and would not hesitate to do so again.
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Passenger

americans in US are used to it and very tolorated for too many immegrants speaking little or very broking inglish.or american born who can't speak ing
it's taboo,very rude to them to correcting some one's inglish.these takes me several years to learn just like pulling their tooth.
i always wish they would be a rude one on that case,it's helping to learn better.
where i came from,they will only correct you (or even interrapting fun way) if they likes you.and if they dont you better run far far awey.

i do accept that they're up to speak ing out of the state.they even preserve them self in a smool group of americans or others who speaks ing as a first language.so the locals only knows their noise from party,assuming wild things they're doing all the times,and talking about trash.if you spend little time to talk to a local naturelly,just like been your self ,you will give a lots more info about your self,and impressed them.

david ,when some of my american friend of mine is saying that they don't concern about safety issue overseas couse they will never travel outside states,US is huge place to travel all they life,ARE giving me goose bumps.how they know their kids dont ,their grandkids wont born there.
i'll risk it my life to go hug my family any time,no i'm not joking on that..there's no other way i know.
and i wish all our tax are spending on bomb,should first spend for improving americans life style,for homeless on the street in front of the white house.if president doesn't beleive me he can look to see from his window..
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Passenger

speaking about inglish,
enough with me .to much stress of inglish.
i posted a new thread on this forum,specially for you guys,
don't think to much of it,just for laugh,hope you enjoy.
take a look at it.
subject=Believe it or not,these are real 911 calls...
i couldn't grab of it in here,i appreciated if someone can 4 me.
Old November 28th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Yeoman

Free Spirit, just remain that....but not getting into how bucks should be spent, not my call. Just be people and if a real risk exists to people from any country, then you will not go there, Simple

As for the French and arrogance, well its just them We learn to put up with it , and laugh
Old November 28th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Passenger

--One: they would have been seen as traitors to go live in Russia

--And two, they would have never dealt with the lines at the supermarket

As a Russian living in Canada I can say that you are wrong with your both statements. Russia is soo different now and I found that they have more stuff in supermarket that we have here and no lines. I am not treated as a traitor when I go back.

I found traveling in US is boring compare with traveling in Europe; sorry but it is my opinion and I did travel lot around US.

I would encourage all Americans to travel abroad. You guys have only one Da Vinci painting in all America, don't you want to see more...
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B
In all countries that I have visited, I have tried to be friendly and have never been treated rudely.

I do suppose that there have been many Americans who expected residents of foreign countries to speak English and were dismayed when they did not. I have visited France and would not hesitate to do so again.
It was 2 years ago when my two SILs took a land tour of France and Italy. these are nice decent well educated woemn and they are not snobbish at all. but they were treated rudely in both France and Italy.

The tour guide told them that is was because of Iraq and anti-american sentiments there. My one SIL knows some French but the person rudely refused to speak to her in the his shop. this same trip on a train in Italy this older man starts yelling at them in Italian-they had no idea what he said-just that he was angry and something about americans.

They came home very upset as they had no idea people disliked americans over there until that trip.

Free spirit, your english is fine, and I meant nothing against you, I know not everyone is that way, just like not all amercians are arrogant either. Prejudice goes both ways. You can't lump all french and Italians together just like you can lump all amercians together.

I think we all want to be treated as indiviuals and not by what country we are from. I do believe it is a few and their prejudices who ruins it for everyone. It was a few in France and a few in Italy whose additude ruined my SIL's trip. Most treated them decently but the few who didn't are the ones that upset them.
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Passenger

I think it is toooo bad when someone mixes politic with a person.
I was in the same situation here when I had to be responsible for everything that the Russian government had done for many years.
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Passenger

david ,i bag you appoligise,i was totally misreading your opinion,couse i ws tired then reading probably.i was taking your word wrong.for that i have to correct my stupit commen in here.i'm shame of it.youre great person, and so smart american.just misunderstaning you.that's my stupitity..

you was the best voise of mine only,i have no right to be harsh on you..forgive me please.
Old November 30th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Yeoman

FreeSpirit, If I offended you sorry, believe me that was not my intention and I quote "david has no rights to tell me what so ever"

Sorry, but you are reading things into what I say, but never said or felt like in this discussion.

You have got me back to front on this discussion.

What I am talking about is that on a "cruise" the lines will not take you to places that will put their passengers at risk..simple bottom line.

But what this is heading for is... I will not go there because "someone" may not understand me or because I am of a nation that says they will not like me....

So everyone you meet in the world should be polite to you, give you a big hug and say welcome.

Personally, I could not do that here at home, never mind another country, so a reality check on personal risk from visiting a country and its NORMAL people, compared to the fact that all over the world there are rude people and you will meet them everywhere.

As for the "supermarket" quote egorka, that was said with humour, But yes I fell into be stereotypical, that was wrong
Old December 2nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
Passenger

david, i also have two driver license ,in case if you didn't know enough about me
i was missunderstanding your commant about cruise is safe,i'm totally agree on that with you.i apologize for that.

not me but i vitnessed similar experiance like momofmeg,

and egorka who traveled around world has same opinion.yes egorka life is more calm in here.and not much also you can find things to complain either.,just calm.you need to be in a few downtown to have city like life we call.i'll take you to goerge washington's house next time if you came here again,it's near DC.and most historic place in here if you like to see.of course they are not 1000 years old as we know historic.
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Passenger

what i was telling to momofmeg is americans are underestimated also becouse the body language as an idividual.this also can cousing to dislike some how.

let me give you an exampleto understand.
i have many american friends they always hug me and kiss me on the cheek.i wouldn't take wrong if they don't .if they like me they are more interested where i m from and wants to travel to.
i always tell them by time that for me i don't care but do not kiss people overthere by one cheeck.not kiss at all that will be fine.but you always must kiss on both cheeck if you do.that is things i do only if i like to loose friend and want to tell that person that you're worthles and lower than i'm .to say ;i'm only hugging you becouse i must look good and be polite.

and first year when i was merried with my american husband ,one day i was wery interested and listening his thought .
he turnd my face and said ;you can't care less huh??i was brainstorming why he come up with that idia that i don't care when i was paying full attention to his words.and i understand later this's what american conversation is like , i must keep saying something to make him believe i'm into conversation.in that case for me keep inputing words to his words was like interapting him don't take his words seriusly.

americans are very respectful people, they have many good values to be welcome around the word.many good hearted thoughtful people.but only a few are traveling overseas.and not really known you your good values ,how hard long hours you're working to make a good for living.. people jumps on conclutions if they don't know things and keep judging you by political office.and also just becouse it's easy to point and blaime most powerful office.
that is what i was trying to input to momofmeg in addition.
david has good point to say must encourage more to travel.but the french will be french by the way its just a language crises to my opinion..
best lesson french language teacher ever thought me that ,you can't always translate language you must accept it like it's and will understand later.this helped me to deal much easily with many strange things from my wiew and learn more in my life.

once my friend told me by surprise she sew an american family with thier kids first time at hotel that they were very nice and family oriented people ,she didn't know that . that means she used to thinks differantly before ,just on conclutions.
it's sad that you must correct every single individuals when you have many good things to tell.
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Passenger

Default to david

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Spirit
david ,i bag you appoligise,i was totally misreading your opinion,couse i ws tired then reading probably.i was taking your word wrong.for that i have to correct my stupit commen in here.i'm shame of it.youre great person, and so smart american.just misunderstaning you.that's my stupitity..

you was the best voise of mine only,i have no right to be harsh on you..forgive me please.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yeoman

Nothing to forgive, just pleased that now you live in a country that allows your freedom of speech,,,use it it's in their rules

Me , I could not live in a country so open to opinion :o :o :o :o
Old December 29th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Passenger

wasn't an invitation but ,anyway..,
here we go again,how did you know what if you didn't try it get.

freedom of the speach is not an argument,shouldn't be a gift too.it's neceserity of life,a must have for good.i'm not here for looking somone to slam either.i'm not all that.

however ,with you,i went off all sudden.say it's your timing or luck..thank you so much david,been mature enough to handle it.yes ,i was already tired,bored, confused on this board,and this was NOT your fault.i didn't like my self been personel on you, calling you this,that.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Passenger

The most ignorant, arrogant people I have ever met in the 18 Countries I have had the good fortune to visit over the past 22 years have almost all been my "fellow" Americans. When I travel alone I almost dread meeting another American because then I feel obligated to put my cultural experience on hold while I listen to someone whine about how the french are rude or the Chinese spit all over the place or blah, blah blah.
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Clipper Cruises Yankee Clipper 2006
Avalon Cruises Artistry 2006
Carnival Pride 2007
Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billalford
The most ignorant, arrogant people I have ever met in the 18 Countries I have had the good fortune to visit over the past 22 years have almost all been my "fellow" Americans. When I travel alone I almost dread meeting another American because then I feel obligated to put my cultural experience on hold while I listen to someone whine about how the french are rude or the Chinese spit all over the place or blah, blah blah.
Please feel free to emigrate to the country of your choice. Obviously your native country is not to your liking.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Yeoman

That’s not fair, my country could fit into a corner of Texas, and although I am passionate towards it. I could never say that all Scots that others experience in the world are "great people". So do I go into “auto mode? and justify or stand up for them because they are from my country…. no.

Please Doug…..I love flag waving and patriotism, but come on.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Oh I absolutely love my Country. I served this Country in the Army for 8 years. What I cant stand are my fellow Americans not understanding that they are in fact in another Country with different customs and standards of what is and is not acceptable behavior and not showing respect for the fact that they are guests in another Country. We are despised the world over for many reasons. One of those reasons is our own behavior when we are graciously permitted to enter that Country as guests. It is our responsibility to adapt and accept what may not be to our liking. Complaining and whining is not going to change or help anything. I think as long as I live I will never forget the American woman I encountered while I was at the Louvre in Paris. As I was looking at the Mona Lisa this woman who made it very clear she was from North Carolina was loudly complaining about how small the painting was. Her exact remark was, "we came all the way over here and paid to see this? This has to be a joke, its tiny! we put up with smelling body odor in a hot line for 2 hours to see this?" This is just one example of many. So the remark about leaving the Country is really one of those remarks I would expect from one of those people I have met in my travels who respond to inconvenience by whining and complaining. I will leave you with a few famous quotes related to travel.

"One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." –- Henry Miller

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." -- James Michener

"Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey." -- Fitzhugh Mullan

"Why is it that traveling Americans are always so dreadful?" — Dodsworth by Sinclair Lewis
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Carnival Pride 2007
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Oh and here are 2 more I just could not resist posting:

When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.

Clifton Fadiman

If an ass goes traveling, he'll not come home a horse.

Thomas Fuller
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Carnival Pride 2007
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billalford
What I cant stand are my fellow Americans not understanding that they are in fact in another Country with different customs and standards of what is and is not acceptable behavior and not showing respect for the fact that they are guests in another Country. We are despised the world over for many reasons. One of those reasons is our own behavior when we are graciously permitted to enter that Country as guests. It is our responsibility to adapt and accept what may not be to our liking. Complaining and whining is not going to change or help anything. I think as long as I live I will never forget the American woman I encountered while I was at the Louvre in Paris. As I was looking at the Mona Lisa this woman who made it very clear she was from North Carolina was loudly complaining about how small the painting was. Her exact remark was, "we came all the way over here and paid to see this? This has to be a joke, its tiny! we put up with smelling body odor in a hot line for 2 hours to see this?" This is just one example of many.
Billaford, I think you are over generalizing. I have travelled all over the world. I have lived both in Israel and now in Japan. I have seen instances of inconsiderate travellers from time to time. However, I would not generalize by saying that Americans are the worst travellers. In my opinion, the worst travellers are Germans when they travel to Southern Europe. Germans treat Spaniards, Itlaians, and Greeks like dirt when travelling to those countries. Although your recount of Louvre story shows naivete [sp] by a woman from North Carolina, it doesn't show (necessarily) disrespect or contempt for the French.

I also take umbrage at your comment that we are "despised the world over." I have been on four continents and over a dozen countries in the last couple of years and I never felt despised. I have found that Americans, and America itself, are looked upon with a bit of envy. If people keep wanting to come to USA (whether legally or illegally) versus wanting to leave, there must be something good back home.

Japan is a very different country and a very different culture. Japan is still "despised" by many of its neighbors. In no way is the USA equally despised.

Just my two Yen,

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:59 PM
Yeoman

"In my opinion, the worst travellers are Germans when they travel to Southern Europe. Germans treat Spaniards, Itlaians, and Greeks like dirt when travelling to those countries. "

Hey Marc, we may have found something to agree on,

But not all Germans fit that stereotype, as not all Americans fit the other scenario presented either.

Thats the problem when "exposure" of a country for others is based around the tiny minority that travel and the "locals" meet.
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Our impressions also depend on the languages we speak. Someone from another country can make the rudest statements and unless you speak the language, you never even know it!
Marty
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yeoman

Langmayyurlumreek, wee man. Understood on the language thing.