Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:53 AM
Beginner

Default Galaxy had legionellosis, July 3rd-July 14th Mediterranian

When I bought my latest air/cruise package on Galaxy, Celebrity, I asked my TA if the time between two flights from Orlando to Rome wasn't too short. His reply was, "Celebrity agents are experienced, they will take care of you".
I came to the Orlando airport earlier and asked AA people to put me and my two granddaughters on earlier flight. No luck... Overbooked... Bad weather, an hour waiting on the tarmac, coming to Philadelphia 40 min before flight to Rome... Running through the airport... After cancer treatment...No luggage in Rome... THREE days in a cabin with two irate girls, 18 and 16, having no clothes, no deodorants, no cosmetics -- nothing! The ship store didn't even have underwear!
The cruise was my gift to the oldest granddaughter for her B-day and graduating from high school with highest honors (a valedictorian!) Instead of happy celebration girls had tears .. They accused me of "not doing anything..."
We missed first formal night, we missed first Greek island since we didn't have walking shoes... The consierge gave us T-shirts to sleep in and .. lied to us ...constantly. He even left a message saying that we would get our luggage on a wrong date! He also yelled on my 16-year old when I sent her to inquire regarding our luggage.
The air in our cabin wasn't working at all. We called the master, he fixed it ... slightly.. Soon I became sick with some respiratory illness. The cough was incessant. Since I am on a hormonal therapy, I didn't go to their doctor, thinking that my immune system was probably on overload... I also blamed bad air conditioning... Little did I know.
On the way home the same thing happened - our luggage was left behind. We simply smiled tiredly...
On July 26th I got a letter signed by Dan Hanrahan, President, Celebrity Cruises, stating that one of the ship's officers was taken off the ship with the respiratory illness, "known as legionellosis, a type of pneumonia.."
Thank you, Celebrity and Galaxy, I was having debilitating cough for another week after coming back! Now I know what ailed me! But no paper trail, unfortunately, to sue you.
It was my seventh cruise on Celebrity... .And the very last one...
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I'm sorry for your problem and I would write Celebrity customer service and let them know about the problems you have. Hopefully you will receive some sort of compensation for your problems.

There is a misconception about cruise air that is still out there. Just because you book your air with the cruise line doesn't mean that the cruise line is going to take care of the problems that occur. That cruise line is only an agent of the airline and takes no responsibility for any problems. At one time the cruise line had power with the air lines, now they have none.

You are better off booking your own air or paying the money for an air deviation.

Travel agents who push cruise air should read their their agent's guide or are just trying to save some time.

I know it's too late to hear this now but hopefully others will read this and learn.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Beginner

Thank you, Mike!
I am a "select member" of Celebrity Captain's Club, and was looking forward to become an "elite"! But I found my last trip so frustrating and unsatisfacory that I decided to look elsewhere for my future exploits.
I've also cruised with Costa and Princess, and never experienced such indifference and lack of concern for a guest.
I still think very highly of Celebrity in general. Last spring I took two cruises, Milennium and Century, and everything went without a glitch!