Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM
First Mate

Default Biggest suite on biggest ship

Is it a real question or just bragging. I hate when someone says"I just booked the biggest suite on ABC cruiseline, it cost a gizzilion dollars, will I like it?"
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If a question was worded in that manner it probably is more of a brag than a question.

However, I have noticed some "Reverse discrimination" when people will ask about amenities, butler service, in room dining, or other suite questions. Many people will accuse them of bragging for just asking the question. I often chuckle when there is a response that doesn't provide any answer just. "I only book inside cabins so I can cruise more often." I also find that bragging or someone trying to justify themselves for no apparent reason other than envy, feeling someone else is wasting money or letting everyone know they've been on a lot of cruises.

A lot of cruisers will save a long time to have the "nice cabin" and are very excited about the prospect of having a top of the line cabin. Other people like to cruise in larger accommodations and have the same questions as someone who cruises in a standard cabin.

To other people knowing the types of canapés that are served is as important as knowing if there will be enough coat hangers.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Admiral

My Dad taught me that people with real money don't brag about those types of things..he also taught me that if you are going to do something special get the most that you can afford and don't be cheap about it..He also said that sometimes to impress others, people will over extend theirselves and then come home after the cruise and be paying off the interest on their credit card for years to come, so don't judge a cruiser by the cabin they book..and at dinner at the first night, if another couple ask you what catergory cabin you are in (and if they ask in a nosey way), smile at them and tell them the Penthouse and watch them try to figure out what you do and how you can afford it

Mike makes a really valid point..for alot of cruisers, this could be there once in a lifetime cruise and they want to go in the very best cabin that they can afford and are excited about that
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

for our once in a lifetime honeymmon cruise we got a great deal on a penthouse suite on Pride of America in Hawaii. We were in the Trump area of the ship and loved it, it taped us out but we loved it. Flying first class from NJ non-stop to Oahu etc cost us alot but it was worth it. We are now going on a cruise out of NYC in a regualr balcony cabin. So like you were saying if it is something special go big time. Since it was my wifes first flight and cruise I am now having trouble getting her to do anything other tha first class but thats a different gripe.....
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Mike, a wonderful post.

Venice, when people get nosy and ask me what I do (not in the way of a normal conversation), I tell them that I am a collector...

....I collect cans along the side of the road and, when I have collected enough, I go on another cruise.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Marc,
I loved your response to "what do you do?'. My hubby is in show business and really hates the follow up questions. I think I'll suggest your approach for our next one.
Also, I'm in love with your penguin show. A friend finally e-mailed me a copy.
Thanks for today's chuckle.
Marty
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Admiral

on my 1st cruise which was recently we booked the PH suite. Why? cause I got a $500 military discount, five of us were going and I couldn't picture being cramped for 5 days with little kids, I splurged cause it was our first cruise and I wanted to experience it first class, I wanted to treat my wife to a balcony. I worked extra night shifts in the ER to pay for this, to treat my family to the best the boat had to offer, and had a months worth of very little sleep between my 2 jobs. soooo when people walked by our cabin who i saw just walk out of their inside cabin I would see them always walk slowly by our door to look in to see how the other half lives! Yes it made me feel a little special and made me smile wondering what they thought I did to afford this penthouse (which was the size of a motel 6 room). on the other hand they could have been smiling and saying to themselves "what a jerk he wasted all that money on just a room"

My problem is now we discovered that this was the only way to cruise. My friends were in an IC and we went there and I could not picture staying in one with my whole family. So it was worth the extra work and no sleep to make my family happy and have the extra space except instead of 3 or 4 cruises a year it'll be one maybe two. having planned next summers 7 day cruise I am looking at alot of work and even less sleep!
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM
First Mate

Default Biggest suite on biggest ship

rescuedad

You go for it !!! Appears you have EARNED it. No matter what anyone says, if you can do it without "hurting" your family budget.....do it.

Of course, as the Cruise Guy stated, there are some people that just like to brag. Those types I can't stand to be around.

crabbie1
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Admiral

There will always be those who brag, just like there will be those who look down their noses at someone else. I choose to ignore both and go about my merry way .
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Admiral

People like this who brag are the people I like to verbally cut down to size. if any of you have read some of my posts you can see that I can do that.
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What kind of work do you do?

I have been contemplating that question for weeks; it always seems to come up in the dining room...

I think I will reply that I hand out shopping carts at Wal-Mart.

After a few moments of awkward silence, I'll continue, "But I've been doing it for 32 years and my Wal-Mart stock is now worth $3.5 Million."

8)

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Admiral

True story: went by a friends house once, He was a guy in his 50's and a bartender. He had a guy over his house and this guy looked like a homeless guy all dirty, greasy messed up hair broken flip flop on one foot gerally a dirtbag looking drunk. Got into convo with the guy and asked what he did for a living. He said he was retired! "obviously" I said to myself. I was goofing on him a little but somehow we got around to what he lived on. He told me he recently sold some property and he was living off that. I asked him where it was. When he told me he said it was 50acres of vacant land that he bought during the vietnam war. I said what is on the land now ( I kinda knew what might be there) he said a developer turned it into Bocaire country club! he paid $500 an acre and sold it for $50,000 an acre. Never judge a book by it's cover. the guy still looked like a dirtbag but he was a nice guy.
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Admiral

I either like someone or not, based on how interesting they are or how entertaining they are. It has nothing to do with net worth. My question is (and I am VERY serious here!) is it rude of me to ask someone what they do/did for a living. I like meeting new people and usually don't have a problem striking up a conversation with someone I don't kow. Is this an inappropriate question to ask? I have never given it any thought, one way or the other.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Admiral

I think if people don't ask what you do in general conversation they either don't like to do it cause it's rude or they are afraid you might ask them what they do for a living.
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Admiral

My BF has his own answer for people that ask what he does for a living. He just answers "I clean toilets" Actually, he is retired military and now he does rental maintenance part time for a friend. And, yes he does clean toilets sometimes. So I can't wait for this question to be asked by someone at the dinner table. Hopefully we won't be sitting with those people that like to "brag" about what they do or what cabin they are in. We are lowly "outside cabin" people. I enjoy this site alot. The only thing I don't like is that there are so many threads on so many different pages that I read something and want to go back to it, but then I can't find it. I took me two days to find this again. Happy cruising to all.

Need some cruise help?
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Admiral

ready2gonow, it is not rude to ask someone what they do; just don't ask at first meeting. If they are ambiguous in their response when you do ask, then don't follow up. I have been married for 14 years and my wife still doesn't know what I do.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
ready2gonow, it is not rude to ask someone what they do; just don't ask at first meeting. If they are ambiguous in their response when you do ask, then don't follow up. I have been married for 14 years and my wife still doesn't know what I do.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. And I promise I won't tell the Mrs. that your job is meeting me here each day
Mariner of the Seas

Old August 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Admiral

You make penguin videos HAHAHAHAHA
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Yeoman

if asked i just tell people that we are retired and if asked anything else i just smile and say retired

also i too have looked in open doors while walking past suites and let me tell you that the cruise line also rents suites to slobs -- some of them look like they have been hit with a tornado -- and thats just the part you can see from the open door -- clothes all over the place etc etc -- i personally would be embarassed to have a room attendant see that kind of mess

we have cleaning people come to the house every 2 weeks and we do a certain amount of picking up so we can make a good impression on them

Old August 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM
First Mate

Thats why I really enjoyed our last cruise with the freestyle dinning. Just me and DH. No fake fronts, no bragging, no nonsense! Just us ejoying our waterfont seat and each other.
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
My Dad taught me that people with real money don't brag about those types of things..he also taught me that if you are going to do something special get the most that you can afford and don't be cheap about it..He also said that sometimes to impress others, people will over extend theirselves and then come home after the cruise and be paying off the interest on their credit card for years to come, so don't judge a cruiser by the cabin they book..and at dinner at the first night, if another couple ask you what catergory cabin you are in (and if they ask in a nosey way), smile at them and tell them the Penthouse and watch them try to figure out what you do and how you can afford it

Mike makes a really valid point..for alot of cruisers, this could be there once in a lifetime cruise and they want to go in the very best cabin that they can afford and are excited about that
Mike your dad is a smart person and he knows what he is talking about. Most people who do these things to brag really do not have any money-just alot of credit card debt. the bankruptcy courts are filled with those kind of people.

Most wealthy people I know are not showy at all about what they have-just the opposite- they are very low key.
I think that is why when someone posts on a messageboard and brags it irritates us. Most of us are not jealous-we just don't like those who brag.

It is kind've "low class". I call them cruise snobs wantabes.
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Passenger

Default Snobs on Sea and Land

I know of a woman that lived in a trailer park and hit the lotto for megabucks. She is rich now and travels on the largest cabins and flies first class.

But she still has the mannerisms and lack of class of someone who is "trailer trash". She was asked to leave Le Cirque in NYC because she threw food at the waiter. She gripped to me once at a party that she was upset that Delta didn't have "Don Perry-on" in first class. I replied "Dom, it's 'Dom Perignon'" and walked away.

Money can't buy class. Can't even rent it.
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Yeoman

Hey but good for her, its her life. I have met equally ignorant people that come from "supposed" class and old money.

And although you expect "a presence" from them, they as human's can be even worse than her, why?

Because they look down their nose at people like you, like me. The nutter I can accept and deal with it in my own head, but not someone who looks around and thinks because of "their class and old money" they are better than others, or placed in a superior position because of their Grandfather or beyond as they did not earn it, but got handed it. So what gives them class, two words Paris Hilton...mmmm

I will bet that over every fence in this world there are people, thinking how did they get that? It happens, get over it

There are Aholes everywhere, just dont get involved in their picture from either new money to old....you just do your own thing.
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Admiral

My standard response if asked what I do is "as little as possible". It usually gets a chuckle and it gently lets folks now that I prefer not to answer.
Truth is that I am disabled and can't work anymore, but I really prefer not to go into that if I can avoid it.
I also sometimes, if pressed, say I am an artist. No, I don't make a living from it, but it is what I do on my good days. Politely sidestepping questions isn't that hard to do. I really don't think that people are usually being rude, just trying to get a conversation going. Or,t hey want to talk about their jobs, so I'll try to steer talk in whatever direction they seem to want to go.
Marty
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yeoman

Hi Marty, my reaction is always be yourself, you have nothing to prove to these " people" that some ship has place you with for "DINING" or other functions.

They for some reason because you are in a chair or look different are making you an easy target for coversation...why?

Feed it back to them, ask why are you wearing a wig or dressed 20 years below your age, Do you think your hair color suits your age, why do you do that?

Then go to the woman with the wig or ridicules dress and ask, "out loud " did you wear that to a prom 20 years ago and it still fits, amazing"

See thats being "picked on" you dont like it, they will not like it either, dont be a victim and dont ever be placed in that scenario without standing up and giving them it back. Ask the embarrassing questions back,just for conversation, same way as them and see how they chew their food
Old October 28th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Admiral

DBG,
I appreciate your intentions here, but I am not the victim type. I am, however, sometimes overly tactful. I would rather trigger a laugh than put someone down. Rarely do I meet someone who truly "needs" to be b$@ch slapped, but I can do it if appropriate. I learned from the best...my mom. When she was wig shopping after chemo took all of her hair, she overheard a man whose wife was trying on wigs. The man was really being cruel to his wife, saying that no wig or anything else could make her attractive. Mom walked up to him and said "Be grateful she doesn't look like this" and yanked off her own wig!
I totally understand why the long timers here are so pleased to have you back. I do enjoy your posts...and that debonair photo!
Marty
Old October 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Oh, I'm not completely awake here yet.
No one can tell I am disabled, other than a cane I only use sometimes. Most people are not looking to make a disabled person an easy target. To the contrary, they tend to be very sympathetic. I have simply learned over the years that a lot of people have hidden physical limitations and I don't like to make a big deal out of mine. George Carlin once said (and I may be paraphrasing a bit) "Always be kinder than necessary. Everyone is fighting battles."
Cheers!
Marty
Old October 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Yeoman

Marty, I don’t do condescending, but I know your are a good guy and more strength to you...as you and only you, know how to deal with the situations you find yourself in. Respect 8)

Maybe in placing the reaction above I was a bit strong regarding "how to" deal with it, as usually that will never happen in reality as people don’t want to embarrass themselves and just be polite.

Sometimes though that is very hard to contain, if you feel you have been placed in a position that requires a reaction….but you take care 8)
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Admiral

DBG,
Oh no, I have to join the "correctors" ...I'm not a good guy. I'm a nice lady! I'm totally used to the confusion, though, as my name strongly suggests a guy. My legal name is more feminine, but my family called me Marty since birth, so that is all I use.
What is funnier is that I married a man whose first name is usually a girls' name. When we got married, our names got reversed during the ceremony. People asked afterwards why we were laughing so hard during the ceremony. But, technically, I married me, he married himself. Now, we just both answer to both!
Marty
Old October 29th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yeoman

OOOPS,,,, Sorry maybe I should stick to your a nice "person" on things like this

take care