Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to megs1787
Default No maps on RCI??

I recently was on the Explorer of the Seas, my first Royal Caribbean cruise. When I previously sailed with Carnival, they always gave you a map of the ship when you boarded so you knew where you were going. I was looking around the cabin for a map but couldnt find one. Do any Royal Caribbean ships give out maps to their guests?? I know that there are maps next to the elevators, but it would have been great for the first day instead of wondering aimlessly around the ship!
Megan
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Inspiration 2005
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2006
Carnival Destiny 2007
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:24 PM
First Mate

Maps are available and usually sitting out for you on the countertops as you are checking in and document review is completed in the terminal prior to boarding. If you didn't pick one up then, you can ask at guest relations... they have the same map available there
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Admiral

We cruised the Enchantment November 05 and I noticed the same thing. I asked where the maps were and the lady I spoke to snippily replied that I didn't need a map and the daily would tell me everything I needed to know about where events were located on the ship, which I didn't really appreciate. I assumed they did not have them simply because the ship had recently been stretched, but your post is making me wonder if this is some half baked scheme to cut costs. I want a map!
Old August 16th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to megs1787

I didnt bother asking anyone for a map because we eventually found our way around, but I just thought it was weird that there were any maps. Usually, even if they arent in your room, they have the setting out somewhere so you can conveniently grad one. Maybe they are trying to cut costs. Im glad someone else had the same problem and that I just didnt see the maps!
Megan
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Inspiration 2005
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2006
Carnival Destiny 2007
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Passenger

They always have pocket maps of the ship available at the purser's desk. If there is no stack of maps on the counter, then you could ask the purser for one. Maps are available from the moment you board the ship until the last evening of the voyage.
Carnival Miracle 12/23/08
Carnival Legend 4/1/07
Carnival Liberty 1/1/06,11/21/06
Caribbean Princess 5/28/05
Norwegian Wind 3/20/04
Carnival Legend 12/20/02, 3/18/03
Carnival Fascination 11/1/02
Carnival Victory 3/17/02
Carnival Triumph 3/17/01
RCI Majesty Of The Seas 1/5/01
Carnival Ecstasy 1/15/99, 2/04/00
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Admiral

Cruiser perhaps you missed something in my post, there were no maps available. I asked and they simply did not have them and based on Megs post I am wondering if there is a trend with RCCL doing away with them.

I have never had any problems finding maps on other cruise lines.
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Admiral

We were on Radiance in May of this year & the Purser's desk had the maps.......I asked & got several..........so maybe it was just the ship??

Sharon
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
We cruised the Enchantment November 05 and I noticed the same thing. I asked where the maps were and the lady I spoke to snippily replied that I didn't need a map and the daily would tell me everything I needed to know about where events were located on the ship, which I didn't really appreciate. I assumed they did not have them simply because the ship had recently been stretched, but your post is making me wonder if this is some half baked scheme to cut costs. I want a map!
We were told something similiar on Mariner of the Seas last fall when we asked. It sure would've been nice to have that on such a huge ship-no way do I want to cruise Freedom.
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Cruiser perhaps you missed something in my post, there were no maps available. I asked and they simply did not have them and based on Megs post I am wondering if there is a trend with RCCL doing away with them.

I think he missed that the talk is about RCI-he has only done 1 RCI cruise from his signature.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Maybe depends on the ship?

Every RCI ship I have sailed in the past year or so, I received a neat little fold-up deck plan that doubled as a holder for my SeaPass. I received it at the embarkation desk before I even boarded the ship.

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:

I think he missed that the talk is about RCI-he has only done 1 RCI cruise from his signature.
To momofmeg: This is the "Cruise Gripes!" forum. Not the RCI forum in the cruise lines section. True I have only been on one RCI cruise, my reply was only put in as a suggestion based on my experience cruising not only with Royal Caribbean, but with Princess, NCL, and Carnival Cruise Lines. I did notice a problem with finding a map aboard the Majesty cruise I went on five years ago. But I did end up getting a map within two hours of boarding the ship.

To beenie weenie: I did miss something in your post. I didn't know who you ment by "Lady". Was it an employee who you talked to?
Carnival Miracle 12/23/08
Carnival Legend 4/1/07
Carnival Liberty 1/1/06,11/21/06
Caribbean Princess 5/28/05
Norwegian Wind 3/20/04
Carnival Legend 12/20/02, 3/18/03
Carnival Fascination 11/1/02
Carnival Victory 3/17/02
Carnival Triumph 3/17/01
RCI Majesty Of The Seas 1/5/01
Carnival Ecstasy 1/15/99, 2/04/00
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Yeoman

Forget a map, the best bit of a cruise is exploring your new ship and finding it out for yourself.

If you need a map to do that......mmmmmm.

So how much do some people expect to be "baby sitted", "directed" or led in what is presented to them or the decisions they should make...amazing
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBGood
Forget a map, the best bit of a cruise is exploring your new ship and finding it out for yourself.

If you need a map to do that......mmmmmm.

So how much do some people expect to be "baby sitted", "directed" or led in what is presented to them or the decisions they should make...amazing
Personally, I don't find it a "best bit of a cruise" to be lost the first few days. I don't need to be "babysat", but if there's something I want to do scheduled in the "XYZ" bar, I'd like to be able to find it without starting out an hour early and searching the whole ship !

If RCI (or any other cruise line) is not distributing maps of the ship, I think it's a big mistake!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
First Mate

Default No maps on RCI??

DB, I have to agree with Fern as far as using a map to locate a certain place to go at a certain time. Make a dry run for a time line.

I also agree with you as far as doing your own exploring of the ship. I think it is great to check out a ship on your own without knowing exactly where every nook and cranny are.

crabbie1
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator
Admiral

David:

I can't agree with you on this one. A pocket map does help when trying to remember if the "Moonlight Lounge" is on deck 8 or 9. I would rather take a quick look at a pocket map than standing in front of the elevator or having someone else do it while I want to get on.

With the size of todays vessels, "imaginative" room names, and my chronic CRS problem, a pocket map helps. (At least for the first day or two)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Having a map does not preclude anyone from exploring the ship at will. However, not having a map can make finding what you are looking and arriving on time a bit of a challenge.
The Lady on the Enchantment I referenced previously was an officer on the ship. I certainly would not have asked that sort of a question of a fellow passenger and expect to get an accurate answer. That would definitely be the blind leading the blind.
Later we held a meet & mingle and the Hotel Director and Cruise Director made an appearance at that time to introduce themselves and neither offered any explanation for the maps that didn't exist on our cruise. However neither of them were the snippy lady referenced above.
Obviously the absence of a map is not going to make or break a cruise, however it is a nice thing to have and I hope that RCCL does not do away with them.
But please trust I performed my due dilligence, I asked the appropriate qualified individals, I looked in all the normal and customary places one might usually find the maps on a cruise and according to all of my sources they did not exist at that point and time on that particular sailing. I swear!
Old September 9th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Yeoman

Okay in reflection I agree...more maps please as some of my fellow passengers cant tell up from down, port from starboard or the back bit from the pointy bit.

Help needed here
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Thank you David... Now can someone please tell me where the hell I am?
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Up three decks...

Go up three decks and follow the crowd!

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Make a suggestion for future cruises? If you aren't familiar with the ship, go to the website or any travel agency & ask for the deck plans to the ship.

Review these over & over and look at the virtual tours on the cruise line's website.

When we went on our very first cruise last year, I kept looking at RCCL's website & also got a deck plan from the travel agent.

By the time we did our cruise, I knew where everything was & wasn't wandering around lost. A woman who was on the ship also for the first time who was lost (typical snotty New Yorker, recognized the Bronx accent) made a comment about not knowing the layout of the ship & was just generally being loud to anyone who would listen. I turned around & fired back at her & told her if she's known for months she was going on a cruise, why didn't she review the deck plans provided in the catalogs? She shut up pretty quickly & became silent after that.
Old September 20th, 2006, 08:35 PM
First Mate

Gee, I spend so much time before the cruise studying the deck plans, I hardly ever have to look at a map...except maybe after one too many margaritas!
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Admiral

I don't know about where you all are from, but here where I live in the rural midwest, we have all sorts of wonderful things, but very few travel agents unless you are in a major metro area. I think there is one brick and mortar travel agency (the internet has put many of them out of business) within 20 miles of where I live and I wouldn't think of going in and asking them for a cruise catalog unless I was going to consider booking it through them (which I wouldn't, since I do business with two online TA's) I realize you can also order them from the cruise line directly but often this feat alone requires multiple requests to get it. Plus I am not going to walk around the ship carrying a Catalog looking at deck plans, it is too bulky and cumbersome, not to mention I need both hands to carry my drinks and beach towels or maybe just my drinks. That is why the cute little pocket maps are so wonderful, they fit in your pocket...
As far as going online and printing out the deckplans, since each deck would need to be printed out on its own page and there could be more than a dozen decks on any given ship. I am not going to get bogged down with a 12 page book for the same reason I wouldn't take a catalog on a cruise.
I don't want to study deck plans to prepare for my vacation. I prefer to spend my time researching shore excursions, and checking out what I want to do on sea days etc...
Cassandra, perhaps since you studiously memorized every nook and cranny of the ship you might have offered to help the lady find her way, instead of reprimanding her for not obsessing over the deck plans before she cruised. I don't begrudge anyone the urge to study deck plans until their eyes fall out of their heads, but thats not my bag at all. Most ships offer these pocket maps. People have come to expect them.
Therefore I can spend my valuable pre-cruise time doing productive things like making more money, so I can pay for my next cruise... Now that makes sense!
Old September 21st, 2006, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I think there is one brick and mortar travel agency (the internet has put many of them out of business) within 20 miles of where I live and I wouldn't think of going in and asking them for a cruise catalog unless I was going to consider booking it through them (which I wouldn't, since I do business with two online TA's)
Please don't feel like you can't go to any TA's "brick and mortar" office and pick up any brochures you want! I do it all the time! I book my cruises through one "B & M" TA, but I still go to AAA to pick up brochures. They won't ask you anything except whether they can help you (and, most of the time, they don't even ask that!).

Just do it!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM
First Mate

RCL has wonderful 3D cut-away models of the ships at each elevator, which we found very helpful as finding the right floor is less a problem than knowing if my destination is aft or stern. And of course, there is a 'map' of the entire ship on each floor near the elevator as well. I also research the ship before we go to at least know which floor DR is on etc. On Celeb (not RCL) we got the little handy foldout map that fit in with our seapass card. Very cute, but never used it.