Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Passenger

Default Why cruise [b]every [/b]vacation?!?

(This isn't a "gripe" but couldn't figure where else to put this.)

To start, granted this is a CRUISE message board so there would be no reason to post regarding other forms of leisure travel. But doesn't it seem like a lot of people cruise to the exclusion of other types of travel? When I read that someone's been on 28 cruises or see their list and it shows that they cruised two, three or more times in a single year, I wonder if they do anything on holiday other than go on cruises. I certainly understand that for those with mobility issues, cruises are totally perfect. And we're changing how we travel and tend to stay in one place rather than moving from B&B to another B&B every night or so. We love the pampering we've had on our few cruises and are looking forward to our repositioning cruise from Lisbon to Rio in November. But the downside to us is that if it's a port we like we don't have nearly enough time. I've heard people say, "well, we know where we want to go back to and spend more time," but how many people actually DO that? (We DID spend a day in Lisbon a few years ago and that certainly influenced our decision on this upcoming cruise. We'll stay there a week pre-cruise.) I also know that some people aren't very adventuresome (not a criticism) and would rather have all the planning and execution done by someone else i.e., shore excursions. We're that crazy couple who ate chicken wings from a street vendor in Guatemala If you tend to cruise on almost every holiday you take, I'd love to hear why. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Hi CLO,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLO
I also know that some people aren't very adventuresome (not a criticism) and would rather have all the planning and execution done by someone else i.e., shore excursions. We're that crazy couple who ate chicken wings from a street vendor in Guatemala
Are you crazy The "adventure" of a cruise and seeing different ports instead of staying in one place (i.e., an all inclusive resort) is enough "adventure" for us!

Many people who post here do the all inclusive thing, too, but we LOVE being able to unpack once, the pampering, the choice of doing everything or nothing at all, the food (and the option of sending it back and getting something else ), the movement of the ship (the best sleep I ever get ), and most of the other people who cruise!

Our theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Hi Fern,

We're not the all-inclusive type either! For instance, when we're in Lisbon I've rented a small apt. in one of the old sections of the city. We'll take public transportation, eat with the locals, see the sights we want and miss the ones we're not interested. My husband says that I travel the world over "picking up" people. While in Paris a few years ago, we wound up going out to a cafe after dinner with four French women who didn't speak (much) English - and our French consists of basically "please" and "thank you." I don't question or criticize those who want to cruise exclusively, just wondered why so many do. Different strokes but I feel like I'd be missing so much to limit myself to only one method, if you will. Thanks for your input.
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Clo - I recently posed a similar question. You can find it on the Chit Chat board with the heading "Is cruising the only holiday you do?" As you will see I got a mixed response.

I've only done one cruise but I've got 2 booked for next year. On our Voyager cruise we get to do 3 different Italian cities which we're really excited about. Although i think we're fairly adventurous the thought of planning a 3-centre holiday ourselves with no grasp of the language, not knowing the public transport systems etc. etc. etc. is fairly daunting. On a cruise all thoses negatitives are taken away for us. And we only have to un-pack once - bonus!

On the other hand next year we're also going to Australia and it would be quite hard to see sights like Uluru on a cruise!
May 2009 - Brilliance of the Seas Egypt and Eastern Med
September 2008 - Serenade of the Seas Alaska
December 2007 - Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean
June 2007 - Voyager of the Seas Mediterranean
December 2005 - Explorer of the Seas Western Caribbean
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:23 AM
Admiral

I've only been on one cruise but since then I'm hooked. I keep trying to book another cruise but my DH thinks one every two years is enough. hahaha We take other vacations or long weekends on our boat during the summer and travel to visit with family at christmas.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:07 AM
Admiral

We've been on 6 cruises and preparing for our 7th.

We love the idea of only unpacking ONCE, visiting various ports, having a day adventure, but when we're tired and hungery... knowing that 'home' (ship) will be there...a good meal, some entertainment (or not), our cabin, nice and cozy....mint on the pillow....Ahhhhhhh

Living is being open to change...but right now, for us it's the best vacation!
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:02 PM
Passenger

We've been on 15 cruises, but also on many land based vacations.
Since starting to cruise, however, we find 7 day all inclusives set in one place a little too dull.

Our solution for the last few years has been to begin or end our cruise with a 4 to 7 day stay in the port city or an area close by.

We spent 7 days in Rome between two cruises last year and it was so wonderful we are back in Rome for 4 days precruise in 2007.

I have to agree with the other posters - some areas are ideal for cruising. A good example is the Mediterranean where you can go from country to country without unpacking or worrying about transportation issues.
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Yeoman

Our main reason for cruising has to do with my husbband's mobility issues.
We live in Fla. and we've driven to the Keys, Sarasota, Orlando, St. Augustine, Jax, etc. etc.

We love to cruise b/c it is a short drive to the port, the ships [at least HAL] are very accessible, and we always come home relaxed and refreshed.

I am sure that a lot of people here take land-based vacations ... they just don't see a need to post about them on a cruise-related site!
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Hi CLO,
I've been on 35 cruises and only do others to visit family...and not very often, either.
Originally, I started cruising because I was single, wanted to travel to other countries, but did not feel safe doing it on my own. Could never find friends who wanted to go to same places, same time, same price range, etc. And, for some reason, doing the group tour thing did not appeal, since I like at least some degree of flexibility in what parts of a destination I see. Cruises were just an easy solution that happened to be a lot of fun.
After getting married, I ended up with some fairly severe health problems (not result of the marriage ) Hubby is very healthly and active. So, cruises are a way for him to feel free to enjoy himself without having to worry about me at all. On board ship is the ONLY time I can be relatively spontaneous. If I do a sudden crash and burn, my cabin is nearby. I am often house-bound for long stretches of time, but on cruises, being so close to activities and other people makes everything easier. In ports, I can do low intensity bus tours, hubby can do ATV, etc. We both get to do our thing and it works for us.
Time to get packing!
Marty
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Why cruise [b]every [/b]vacation?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLO
If you tend to cruise on almost every holiday you take, I'd love to hear why. Thanks.
Because I can! Enough said.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I'd say that for many of us it's "been there, done that" to most other types of vacations and found that this is the one that works for us. Years ago, it was a house at the shore (Jersey) and occasional trips to Disney. Also did AI and motorcoach tours (different city every day for two weeks - pack/unpack ad nausium - ugh). Found this is what works best for us at this stage in our lives.
Old August 31st, 2006, 07:45 PM
Passenger

Andrio, thanks for the referral to the chit chat board and your posting. You phrased it much better than I did and I enjoyed reading the responses. It's clear that there are lots of people like me, who would finding cruising only too limited. I totally agree that if one has mobility or health issues, a cruise couldn't be a better way to travel. We already talk about in the hopefully distant future, we will cruise more. As to "been there, done that" I guess I must have gotten a late start I've barely scratched the surface in Europe, still hava an embarassing amount to see in the U.S., have only visited fewer than a dozen places in Central and South America, no Asia or Africa at all, most of Canada untouched. And while some ports are right in the particular city, some are not. One of the reasons we loved Lisbon on the cruise a few years ago was because we could walk off the ship, go a few blocks and hop a city bus. Then again, the port for Cork, Ireland, was quite a distance from Cork City. The little port town was alright but I'm glad we'd already visited Cork on a land trip to Ireland and Scotland a few years before. As to planning a multi-city trip, I love doing the research for a trip almost as much as the trip itself. By taking those risks, have we ever been disappointed? A couple of times and then only slightly. Reading what I and others have written here has reminded me that I'm a pretty big risk taker. It's sure not for everyone but I seem to thrive on it. Vive la difference