Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:54 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to jamandamn14@yahoo.co.uk
Default WHY O WHY

On the other board I noticed someone who had gone on 10 eastern caribbean 5 western Caribbean 1 bermuda, and 1 southern and I cant for the life of me understand why this person doesnt go to a different destinantion for a change. Europe, Australasia, Alaska, South America, these are all great places to visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Navigator 2005 7 night Eastern Caribbean
Brilliance 2006 12 night Med and Venice
Serenade 2007 7 night Alaska
Concordia 2007 6 night Med
Summit 2008 12 night Eastbound Transatlantic
Victoria Star 2008 4 night Yichang to Chongqing
Galaxy 2008 10 night Med and Greek Isles
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM
First Mate

Default WHY OH WHY

I don't understand it either. but maybe it has something to with climate??

Different strokes for different folks.

crabbie1
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:16 PM
Admiral

It could be that cruising to the Caribbean is more convient that say, Australia, Europe, South America, etc.
If a person has a week or only 4-5 days, it wouldn't be feasible to take a cruise to Europe or Australia but you could still get your cruising fix with a cruise to old faithful, the Caribbean.
And too, maybe money enters into some peoples equation. For the cost of airfare and an extended cruise to Europe, a person could probably cruise twice to the Caribbean.
Personally, I have been to most of the islands in the Caribbean and there are some that I never tire of visiting. Grenada, Dominica, St. Martin, to name a few.
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Some just go for the cruise experience ...tehy may not even get off the ship in some ports.
Caribbean cruise are usually cheaper than other destinations
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
Admiral

In our case, hubby HATES flying. It is hard on me physically as well, so we cruise from ports in our state...currently Florida.
Marty
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Some people have time constraints. As for me, I manage a golf club in northern Michigan. We open in early May and are very busy through October.

I can only cruise very late October or early November, and then again in Feb. or March, as we start getting ready for re-opening in May. Obviously, and Alaska cruise is out (until I retire from this job) as one can only go May through October. The Mediterranean schedules are not as plentiful in the winter months.

I basically "miss" our beautiful summers up here in this resort town, as I'm working 65-70 hours a week, so getting away to the Caribbean makes me feel like I've had some summer.

I've been to the Caribbean many times and never find it boring. There are also wonderful South America cruises that I've taken.

So, why to people buy a cottage up here and spend every summer here? Because they love it.....even though nothing ever changes from day to day. At least on a cruise, there is a change of scenery periodically. Personally, land vacations are not my cup of tea - yet some people go to Las Vegas every chance they get and return time and time again.

Ain't human nature funny?
Old September 6th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We are not only stuck on one area, we are stuck on one ship. We are now comfortable with where it goes. Have many other excursions to do in each port. We simply do not have time to take long cruises.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeoman

Money is a big issue - as is time. But, I still have not seen all I want to in the Caribbean. This fall will be my 4th time to St. Thomas. We have never had the opportunity to go to St. John so we're doing that this time. With such short amounts of time on the islands (and short endurance on my part) there are many things I have not seen on the islands. We always try to go see something different and also visit some old favorites!
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Default Why?

For us we are still new to cruising. We try to keep our costs down as much as possible. One way for us to do this is cruise from close to home and we have always booked an inside cabin. Plus we really want to spend as little as possible getting to departure port therefore we drive and since we are only 1 1/2 hour from Ft Lauderdale this is perfect for us.

We are enjoying all of the ports and there is only so much time in each that there is no way to do all that you want in one day. Our next cruise stops at 7 ports and only 2 are ones we've been to before so new experiences to come.

Looking at a family cruise next year (daughter, son-in-law and grandson) and of them only daughter has cruised before. We are looking at cruises from Tampa for that since that is where they live. We will be paying for all.

Maybe some day we will veenture to Europe but for now are very happy with the Caribbean.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Yeoman

We live in Florida. We can drive to ports all over the state.
We have a 1 1/2-hour drive to Port Everglades, so we sail from there.
It makes cruising much more affordible [and pleasant] not having to fly.

There are people with disabilities issues who cannot fly comfortably.
So if they live near a port, they can drive to that port and take cruises that leave from and return to that port.

I don't think there are many roundtrip cruises between US ports and Europe.

Another thing: Some people equate cruising with tropical weather and waters. So Alaska or Europe do not appeal to them. When they cruise, they go to the Caribbean or Mexico.

They may fly to Europe instead, to have more time to sightsee, and prefer a land-based vacation.
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Yeoman

To be honest I can share the same "problem" in reverse, as we tend to cruise Europe.

It’s easier to meet the ship, and there is more to see in the ports you visit.

Unless it's Winter in Europe and we just want to be on ship and have sunshine, then we have given up going to the Carib, as its all much the same and same again on nearly every island you visit and BIG flight times.

Having said that in all my cruises in Europe there are at least 70% of the passengers Americans and Canadians.

So a lot of people do it. It's just what suits, personal circumstances, your pocket or your expectations from the cruise.

No right answer
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:55 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
We live in Florida. We can drive to ports all over the state.
We have a 1 1/2-hour drive to Port Everglades, so we sail from there.
It makes cruising much more affordible [and pleasant] not having to fly.

There are people with disabilities issues who cannot fly comfortably.
So if they live near a port, they can drive to that port and take cruises that leave from and return to that port.

I don't think there are many roundtrip cruises between US ports and Europe.

Another thing: Some people equate cruising with tropical weather and waters. So Alaska or Europe do not appeal to them. When they cruise, they go to the Caribbean or Mexico.

They may fly to Europe instead, to have more time to sightsee, and prefer a land-based vacation.
ditto what fruitcake said...all the above especially including the cruising= tropical warm vacation. Also... we live in georgia , drive to our port the day before we sail.
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Admiral

I hate to fly...I mean HATE IT....so we cruise. We've done Mexico about 4 times...Alaska 3 times...I also have a disability that makes flying very uncomfortable, etc. but we have flown for some vacations...BUT right now, we prefer to cruise.

So far...we've always found something different to see and do. Also, now we don't make a mad dash for the exit when we come in to Port. If we've been there before, we feel we can take our time...unless of course we have an excursion booked.

Generally, going to familiar Ports, is like visiting old friends.
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Captain

Hi,
The US dollar/economy is taking a beating. For me, I would like to go all out for a med. cruise. But if 70% of the ship is American, what fun is that?

K
Old September 17th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Passenger

Me too, I HATE to fly, I would rather have a root canal, plus living in Fla as well, we can drive to all ports. Plus, I never get tired of the Caribbean!
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Vacation time is a factor. You don't know anything about their personal lives. Or maybe its just what they enjoy with all that beautiful Caribbean, clear water. Can't beat that!!
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Colorcrazie -

Sweety! You guys are missing out!! If hubby hates to fly, just take Amtrak to California, Texas or Seattle & get a cruise out of there.

NOTHING beats taking the train! Because the train routes on Amtrak aren't built around most highways, you actually travel through places where you won't see any cars or towns, cities. You travel through some really stunning and beautiful land!

Traveling through some places by Amtrak, it makes you wonder that you are still in the United States and not some exotic location overseas.

I'm not pushing for Amtrak. I'm just saying rather than driving those long distances, its usually faster to go by train - no traffic!!
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Yeoman

That's the beauty of this, there is no right or correct answer, ship, port or area of the world. It's just cruising..... what you can afford, what you expect and what you are happy with.

All you can do is feed back to others is, if you want to try "whatever" and "wherever" then use your experience to help others decide.

Great points Cassandra, if I was over there in the USA, then getting Amtrak from my home to the other side of your continent...would be an experience all on it's own, even before my cruise started.

Sometimes you just to take a risk in life and move out from under the comfort blanket and experience...it may be brilliant it may be crap. But at least you can say I tried it, and seen it.
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Yeoman

Amtrak can be pricier than flying though.
If you're traveling across the country, wouldn't you need a sleeper or whatever they're called?

I know I wouldn't want to spend two days or so on a train to get to a port on the west coast.
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
First Mate

Default WHY OH WHY

Amtrack is expensive. A friend of mine was going to visit his Dad in Oklahoma (we live in Central Texas). Amtrack cost was $397, flying was $139.

crabbie1
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Yeoman

That's not the point, some people through mental or physical illness or disability cannot fly or drive long distances.

What this opens up is the ability to go further for them and be comfortable, agreed it cost's more. But it does not restrict them to what is available from their local port and potential cruises.

Geez look out with your own personal scenario, as its only an option available to those who cannot do it the "traditional" way and want to see more than what's offered outside their local port
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:29 PM
First Mate

Default WHY OH WHY

Dang, DB, didn't mean to get your drawers in a knot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crabbie1
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:05 AM
Admiral

I'd like to see that, or, perhaps not.
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:01 PM
Yeoman

Sorry Crabbie 1, honestly I did not mean to bite, and being a Scotsman, we go commando, so no drawers to get in a twist... 8).

Please dont take me personally, as I always stand up for the minority...its my thing. But more than that I love debate, so please accept me for what I am, a nut job that sometimes throws in a curve ball....just to get fingers working

Paul I love you to bits, but your right you wont
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM
First Mate

Default WHY OH WHY

No problem DB, was just commenting/adding to Fruitcake's answer from an actual person and Amtrack. Didn't want to step on anyone's toes, and I do agree fully with you concerning your comment on mental /physical illness or a disability.

Besides we Scot's have to stick together (actually I am Scot's Irish).

crabbie1
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM
Yeoman

Scots / Irish......what a combination and I thought I had problems

Take care
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Default Would You Consider

Not only that DB, our last name Crabb is English.

crabbie1
Old September 21st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Admiral

David, you think you have problems. My ancestors were Scotch, Irish, German and a bit of Hugenot whatever all assembled together.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Cassandra,
We lived in L.A. for 13 years. Have done cruises from there, to Alaska, Hawaii, and many trips down that coast of Mexico. So, not much incentive to spend extra money and energy to take AMTRAK to other departure points here in the U.S. Besides, we love the Caribbean and are still finding new ports and/or thing to do. My only regret is not being able to do Europe or Asia. Can't afford it and Amtrak doesn't get me across the ocean...yet.
I have been pleased to find the cruise lines offering longer cruises out of Florida to the southern Caribbean. Have done those twice in the last 5 years and loved it. So, thanks for your concern, but I'm good.
Marty
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Yeoman

See that’s it for me Marty, "cruising is what cruising is" and that vast range of ship, line, price, and itinerary is what it is all about……..choice

There are very few people in life that can "just do" anything and anywhere and at whatever cost. So most of us look to what will make us happy in what we can afford price wise and time... and go and enjoy our vacation.

Believe me, the number of Nov - Jan nights that I have sat at home wishing I could be in the Carib right now.........

But we can always have dreams, but sometimes when it comes to booking, then reality kicks in.

No cruise is a wrong cruise.... unless you really messed up, did not do your homework regarding what to expect