Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2006, 03:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default My gripe is I can't dance, I mean really dance.

You know what year after year I say I gonna get in shape so I can dance and look sexy on the dance floor. I wish I could Salsa and Step. Those who don't know what Stepping is....it's like ballroom dancing but bring it down a knotch. It looks so cool. I was asked to dance a few times and I felt like a LIMP NOODLE. I had three feet and they were all twist together.
I rememember back in 1996 on a ship called Seabreeze, they actually gave free Salsa lessons. Do they still offer those lessons on ships today esp. the Carnival Glory.

san

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:59 AM
Admiral

They had ballroom lessons on the Caribbean Princess where I was called "The Train Wreck in the Hawaiian Shirt" by the instructor. I told him I was developing a new style called "Oaf Dancing" .

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Doug,
"Oaf dancing"?!?!? That is hysterical. My DH will probably steal that line, though!

Marty
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

First of all - everyone can dance! Take the youngest child, put on some music or clap your hands and there's dancing.

I myself am a lousy dancer. I could dance well with my late husband and was comfortable and felt beautiful dancing with him.....because HE was a good dancer. I have not enjoyed myself while dancing in many years. I've been approached by the "Gentlemen Hosts" on ships and have always declined their invitation. I feel awkward and stiff.

O.K. that's been my story. On the other hand, other than the one fabulous couple on every dance floor, who really looks at the rest of the people out there???? Have you ever said to someone - "Did you see that fool out there?" And if there is a "fool" out there -who cares??

There are too many people who go to their graves saying, "I didn't have any fun, but I looked cool". So, let's both go for it and dance our hearts out just because we feel like dancing! I will if you will!
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Captain

Yes, I always look with a bit of envy at the couples who know how to do ballroom dancing. I went on the Seabreeze-fun time!!!

I guess this would answer the question of the other post(Why cruise the same itinerary over and over). For me, I sail out of San Juan and wait for some guy to wisk me onto the dance floor and teach me the merengue (sp?).
After ten cruises, I have kind of given up on that one.

K
Old September 10th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Cannot stop laughing at Doug and "Oaf Dancing" That is toooo funny!!.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 10th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Admiral

It is not that I can't really dance. It is that I really can't dance. I can take lessons, learn the steps and then promptly forget them.

The sad thing is that I love all kinds of music, love to sing and can play the piano with music and the harmonica by ear. My poetry, such as it is, is even musical.

Why oh why??
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I know on Royal's Serenade of the Seas they offered various dancing lessons. Salsa & ballroom were the two I remember, but there were others.

Can't dance? Try either lessons or grab a video & play it. You can learn to dance from the comfort zones of your own home.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've gone to the dance lessons on a few of our cruises and I've been VERY disappointed. I would love to take more salsa lessons or try swing. The lessons they give on cruises usually turn out to be line dancing. Someone I know heard about a dance instructor that organizes cruises and gives lessons to the group she's cruising with - now that's a good idea. I'm sorry I don't have more info.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

yes I found a dance instructor. Now, I have a new Saturday hobby.

Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Yeoman

Christine goes to Salsa lessons / dance class...great. It makes her happy, but suddenly I'm now supposed to be her partner when we go on ship......NO WAY.

Look girls do what you want, but please do not drag your poor husband into it.....Yes, as I too would look like the man with dyslectic feet....and don’t get me started on her line dancing and what that entails.

Go dance, but leave us alone…please
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood

Christine goes to Salsa lessons / dance class...great. It makes her happy, but suddenly I'm now supposed to be her partner when we go on ship......NO WAY.

Look girls do what you want, but please do not drag your poor husband into it.....Yes, as I too would look like the man with dyslectic feet....and don’t get me started on her line dancing and what that entails.

Go dance, but leave us alone…please
This is why cruise lines offer "dance hosts"! I like to dance, DH would rather jump off the ship! The "dance host" only has to get "permission" from the DH or DW to dance. I've had some wonderful dances with some very good looking ( and very good dancing) men! (With DH's approval!)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 23rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to alviriv
Default Do they have female 'dance hosts'?

Oh wow. That would be great! I love to dance. But I never have a lady to dance with when I go to cruises. So I ussually just look at the dancers and move my feet under the table..
07/01/2006 Carnival Triumph
10/08/2006 RCI Freedom of the Seas

Old September 24th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Admiral

Stand in the middle of the seething mass of dancers - take a step to the left then a step to the right - you're dancing! Just keep to the beat - no one is even going to notice Slow dancing is even easier - you just grab a partner - latch on - make contact with at least three places on the other "body" and sway - again you're dancin!
Old October 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Default 3 steps to better dancing

Step one, lose weight, get in shape.
Dancing is easier if you are light on your feet. Trust me, you will feel better about yourself, sweat less, increase your life expectance and last for hours on the dance floor if you spend half an hour or so a day jogging. Oh, and here is another reason, fit people eat more than fat people of the same weight--so if you love good food, get fit.

Step two, take a lesson and practice.
Learning a dance is like learning a forign language, take a class for goodness sake. As a added befefit the instructors are often hotties.

Step three, enjoy yourself.
Practice at home until you can dance without steping on each others feet then go for it. Dance with someone you love, it is a great part of a romantic evening.
Old October 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just back from the glory and NO I didn't find dance lessons on the ship. All they did was the line dance on the Lido at the Mexican Gala. They got it backwards IMO, we should learn how to salsa and latin dance if we're on the Western iten. I was a little disappointed at the entertainment for the funship