CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   My gripe is I can't dance, I mean really dance. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/320045-my-gripe-i-cant-dance-i-mean-really-dance.html)

san007 September 2nd, 2006 02:46 AM

My gripe is I can't dance, I mean really dance.

You know what year after year I say I gonna get in shape so I can dance and look sexy on the dance floor. I wish I could Salsa and Step. Those who don't know what Stepping is....it's like ballroom dancing but bring it down a knotch. It looks so cool. I was asked to dance a few times and I felt like a LIMP NOODLE. I had three feet and they were all twist together.
I rememember back in 1996 on a ship called Seabreeze, they actually gave free Salsa lessons. Do they still offer those lessons on ships today esp. the Carnival Glory. :wink:

san

DougR. September 2nd, 2006 08:59 AM

They had ballroom lessons on the Caribbean Princess where I was called "The Train Wreck in the Hawaiian Shirt" by the instructor. :shock: I told him I was developing a new style called "Oaf Dancing" LOL .

colorcrazie September 2nd, 2006 10:33 AM

Doug,
"Oaf dancing"?!?!? That is hysterical. My DH will probably steal that line, though!
LOL
Marty

belgique September 3rd, 2006 12:19 AM

First of all - everyone can dance! Take the youngest child, put on some music or clap your hands and there's dancing.

I myself am a lousy dancer. I could dance well with my late husband and was comfortable and felt beautiful dancing with him.....because HE was a good dancer. I have not enjoyed myself while dancing in many years. I've been approached by the "Gentlemen Hosts" on ships and have always declined their invitation. I feel awkward and stiff.

O.K. that's been my story. On the other hand, other than the one fabulous couple on every dance floor, who really looks at the rest of the people out there???? Have you ever said to someone - "Did you see that fool out there?" And if there is a "fool" out there -who cares??

There are too many people who go to their graves saying, "I didn't have any fun, but I looked cool". So, let's both go for it and dance our hearts out just because we feel like dancing! I will if you will!

Sailing gal September 9th, 2006 04:03 PM

Yes, I always look with a bit of envy at the couples who know how to do ballroom dancing. I went on the Seabreeze-fun time!!!

I guess this would answer the question of the other post(Why cruise the same itinerary over and over). For me, I sail out of San Juan and wait for some guy to wisk me onto the dance floor and teach me the merengue (sp?).
After ten cruises, I have kind of given up on that one. :roll:

K

Cruznut2 September 10th, 2006 07:31 PM

Cannot stop laughing at Doug and "Oaf Dancing" That is toooo funny!!.

Laura

Paul B September 10th, 2006 09:11 PM

It is not that I can't really dance. It is that I really can't dance. I can take lessons, learn the steps and then promptly forget them.

The sad thing is that I love all kinds of music, love to sing and can play the piano with music and the harmonica by ear. My poetry, such as it is, is even musical.

Why oh why?? :(

Cassandra September 20th, 2006 11:47 AM

I know on Royal's Serenade of the Seas they offered various dancing lessons. Salsa & ballroom were the two I remember, but there were others.

Can't dance? Try either lessons or grab a video & play it. You can learn to dance from the comfort zones of your own home. :D

sandytoesrose September 22nd, 2006 09:22 PM

I've gone to the dance lessons on a few of our cruises and I've been VERY disappointed. I would love to take more salsa lessons or try swing. The lessons they give on cruises usually turn out to be line dancing. Someone I know heard about a dance instructor that organizes cruises and gives lessons to the group she's cruising with - now that's a good idea. I'm sorry I don't have more info.

san007 September 23rd, 2006 12:10 AM

yes I found a dance instructor. Now, I have a new Saturday hobby.

DavidBgood September 23rd, 2006 03:28 PM

Christine goes to Salsa lessons / dance class...great. It makes her happy, but suddenly I'm now supposed to be her partner when we go on ship......NO WAY.

Look girls do what you want, but please do not drag your poor husband into it.....Yes, as I too would look like the man with dyslectic feet....and don’t get me started on her line dancing and what that entails.

Go dance, but leave us alone…please

Fern September 23rd, 2006 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidBgood

Christine goes to Salsa lessons / dance class...great. It makes her happy, but suddenly I'm now supposed to be her partner when we go on ship......NO WAY.

Look girls do what you want, but please do not drag your poor husband into it.....Yes, as I too would look like the man with dyslectic feet....and don’t get me started on her line dancing and what that entails.

Go dance, but leave us alone…please

This is why cruise lines offer "dance hosts"! I like to dance, DH would rather jump off the ship! The "dance host" only has to get "permission" from the DH or DW to dance. I've had some wonderful dances with some very good looking ( and very good dancing) men! (With DH's approval!)

alviriv September 23rd, 2006 10:33 PM

Do they have female 'dance hosts'?

Oh wow. That would be great! I love to dance. But I never have a lady to dance with when I go to cruises. So I ussually just look at the dancers and move my feet under the table..

hazelson September 24th, 2006 01:35 AM

Stand in the middle of the seething mass of dancers - take a step to the left then a step to the right - you're dancing! Just keep to the beat - no one is even going to notice LOL Slow dancing is even easier - you just grab a partner - latch on - make contact with at least three places on the other "body" and sway - again you're dancin! :D

Vic from LV October 6th, 2006 11:02 AM

3 steps to better dancing

Step one, lose weight, get in shape.
Dancing is easier if you are light on your feet. Trust me, you will feel better about yourself, sweat less, increase your life expectance and last for hours on the dance floor if you spend half an hour or so a day jogging. Oh, and here is another reason, fit people eat more than fat people of the same weight--so if you love good food, get fit.

Step two, take a lesson and practice.
Learning a dance is like learning a forign language, take a class for goodness sake. As a added befefit the instructors are often hotties.

Step three, enjoy yourself.
Practice at home until you can dance without steping on each others feet then go for it. Dance with someone you love, it is a great part of a romantic evening.

san007 October 6th, 2006 04:56 PM

Just back from the glory and NO I didn't find dance lessons on the ship. All they did was the line dance on the Lido at the Mexican Gala. They got it backwards IMO, we should learn how to salsa and latin dance if we're on the Western iten. I was a little disappointed at the entertainment for the funship