Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaShrek
I think the media always trys to put a murder twist into these occurances to get that shock factor. I wouldn't be surprised if most are suicides and the rest just accidental due someone goofing off when they are drunk.
How is the media to blame?

I haven't heard or read anything in the mainstream media that suggests there are murderers aboard cruise ships!
Old September 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
Admiral

My 2 cents here....I have to go with the haggis theory. (And I'm descended from Scots).
Marty
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
Yeoman

So its you…..folks, we have the culprit. That’s why we sent your great grandfather away, as he kept killing all the haggis that is now an endangered species because of his actions.

That’s progress…from haggis to cruise ship passengers ....A land of opportunity
Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

David you are to funny. Hope you are well these days. Good to see you posting.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Admiral

I'm voting for the "midget" theory. Everyone notices the "kiddies" running rampant but no one is actully afraid of them and no one actually says anything to them. The little boogers can sneak up behind you real easy! HMMM! It is possible
Old September 24th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

and if you believe that, I know of several bridges that are up for sale which you can buy at a really cheapy, cheapy price!!
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookylabooka
This kind of unfounded and paranoid rumor spreading does nothing beneficial for anybody.

So true! and terrorists would do more damage-they would not worry about knocking off one or two pasengers-they would blow up the whole ship.

am I worried and terrifed?? No because they could blow up the local Walmart while I am there-so I go on with my life.
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS
I also think San007 is a bit crazy for what she thinks....

..I'm SURE it's aliens killing our people! After all, imagine how easy it is to find a cruise ship full of people in the middle of the ocean, rather than victims in a shopping mall with a roof on top....

Life is WAY too long without a sense of humour!!!
so true Jean!!!!!!!!!!

Besides dozens of people go missing in every major city every week. alot more people go mssiing and turn up dead ON LAND then on ship!!!!!!!!
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Admiral

MomofMeg,

You’re quite right, of course.

But surely we all recognize a reassurance question when we see it.

San007 doesn’t believe that a serial killer is loose aboard cruise ships. She is concerned about her safety while aboard ship. We know this by her initial post statement, “You know it really bothers me to hear there is another woman missing while on a cruise.? And also by her statement, “We are very vulnerable on these ships.?

She is concerned about her safety and her security (as we all should be), and is voicing those concerns.

And she is seeking reassurance. She wants to be reassured that she will be safe on her next cruise. She wants to feel safe on her cruises, and she was seeking our reassurance.

And she got picked on for her efforts………

I believe she was responded to unfairly. And I believe her concerns were made fun of unfairly.

Every one of us deserves a safe and secure life. Every one of us deserves a safe and secure cruise. And when we post our concerns, every one of us deserves a safe and secure venue to express our concerns.

I am disappointed that San007’s concerns were treated with such casual disregard. I am disappointed that her concerns were treated with such disrespect.

I believe that we all deserve the benefit of the doubt, and that our concerns will be taken seriously.

And now, I am beginning to have my doubts. San007’s concerns were dismissed oh so casually. So what happens when I have mine? Are they as casually dismissed? Are they as worthy of ridicule?

As anyone would be, I am concerned about this. San007 voiced her concerns and was ridiculed for her efforts. So who’s next?

I don’t want any part of a venue where poster’s concerns are treated with disrespect. Our concerns can be disrespected anywhere – and I thought Cruisemates was beyond that. And now for the first time here at Cruisemates, I have doubts……….

Dean
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
MomofMeg,

San007 doesn’t believe that a serial killer is loose aboard cruise ships. She is concerned about her safety while aboard ship. We know this by her initial post statement, “You know it really bothers me to hear there is another woman missing while on a cruise.? And also by her statement, “We are very vulnerable on these ships.?

She is concerned about her safety and her security (as we all should be), and is voicing those concerns.

And she is seeking reassurance. She wants to be reassured that she will be safe on her next cruise. She wants to feel safe on her cruises, and she was seeking our reassurance.

I believe she was responded to unfairly. And I believe her concerns were made fun of unfairly.

Every one of us deserves a safe and secure life. Every one of us deserves a safe and secure cruise. And when we post our concerns, every one of us deserves a safe and secure venue to express our concerns.

I am disappointed that San007’s concerns were treated with such casual disregard. I am disappointed that her concerns were treated with such disrespect.

I believe that we all deserve the benefit of the doubt, and that our concerns will be taken seriously.

And now, I am beginning to have my doubts. San007’s concerns were dismissed oh so casually. So what happens when I have mine? Are they as casually dismissed? Are they as worthy of ridicule?

As anyone would be, I am concerned about this. San007 voiced her concerns and was ridiculed for her efforts. So who’s next?

I don’t want any part of a venue where poster’s concerns are treated with disrespect. Our concerns can be disrespected anywhere – and I thought Cruisemates was beyond that. And now for the first time here at Cruisemates, I have doubts……….

Dean
then all I can say is Sans should not get drunk out of her gourd where she would be an easy target. I imagine a serial killer would look for an easy mark. also don't go off with strangers sehjust met.

Just use common sense as she hopefully does when she is on land.
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
MomofMeg,

Dean
wow, talk about overthinking and overreacting... When you start a thread with a sensational title questioning whether there's a serial killer on cruise ships you have to expect strong reactions and opinions. With the negative publicity that cruising has been getting lately we don't need baseless rumors being started
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What if??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsluvr
What if Ted Bundy had been a cruiser?

Watch the grassy knoll....

LL
Nope, Bundy cruised by VW Bug.
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
First Mate

I guess that we all developed vivid imaginations by watching too many movies.

My advise-------stay away from the edge.

Barb
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Admiral

After much DEEP thought and careful consideration....I'm going with the midget theory.

Oh...and we're going to stay away from ALL ship railings. 8)
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Yeoman

As a single woman, taking these cruises pretty much alone, this is a very distressing thought. I'm fairly certain that we cannot blame just one aggressor in these multiple incidents.

Truly, if we just keep our wits about us and are aware of our surroundings, we'll be ok

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Nahoumi

Barb
Yep stop watching Lifetime TV movies!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you know I have had several tell me after seeeing Posiedon-they will never cruise.( these are people who have never cruised.)

I simply said elevator shafts and ship atriums that look like 100 stories is Hollywood sensalism!!!! Most ships have 15 decks MAX!!!!!!

I found that very funny in that movie!! just like a 10 deck fall would not kill you! They had to make it look like a hundred stories! I figured that elevator shaft must have been filmed in the Empire state building or the Sears tower something like them!!!!!
Old October 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Nahoumi

Barb
Yep stop watching Lifetime TV movies!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you know I have had several tell me after seeeing Posiedon-they will never cruise.( these are people who have never cruised.)

I simply said elevator shafts and ship atriums that look like 100 stories is Hollywood sensalism!!!! Most ships have 15 decks MAX!!!!!!

I found that very funny in that movie!! just like a 10 deck fall would not kill you! They had to make it look like a hundred stories! I figured that elevator shaft must have been filmed in the Empire state building or the Sears tower something like them!!!!!

Hey! Lifetime has some great movies!!! My little cousin Kaley is starring in a new movie called, "Fat Like Me". I'm really looking forward to seeing it on Lifetime, so don't turn that channel yet!

Truly I loved the new Poseidon movie. It gave me a giggle to see the stretches of reality too!

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Admiral

I don't mind having to suspend reality a bit for a good movie adventure...

BUT I draw the line when they expect me to suspend intelligence and common sense!!!
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Yeoman

Just looking for information from those that have all the problems directed and no answers, when was the last time something like this happened on a ship? Actually that does not matter............

I'm just asking given the number of ships / lines that sail per day across the world times the number of people onboard at anyone time and I would guess per day around half a million on ship on any given day! So how often does this happen?

MMMM, what some of you are talking about here is rumour and speculation, and having too vivid an imagination with no real basis.

Name the line or ships this is happenning on, and apart from people looking after themselves and being sensible about their actions they can then think do I want to go on this line?, again I will ask what lines or ships is this happening on in a regular basis?
Old October 20th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Just looking for information from those that have all the problems directed and no answers, when was the last time something like this happened on a ship? Actually that does not matter............

I'm just asking given the number of ships / lines that sail per day across the world times the number of people onboard at anyone time and I would guess per day around half a million on ship on any given day! So how often does this happen?

MMMM, what some of you are talking about here is rumour and speculation, and having too vivid an imagination with no real basis.

Name the line or ships this is happenning on, and apart from people looking after themselves and being sensible about their actions they can then think do I want to go on this line?, again I will ask what lines or ships is this happening on in a regular basis?

Think of all the people who go to Disney World every day/month/year ... but when there is a death, there is an investigation.
No one says, "Well, gee, one lady died but millions go to the park each year and are fine."

If a person on a cruise ship were a member of YOUR family and disappeared, you would not blow it off so casually.

I don't think there are serial killers aboard ships or terrorists.
But I do think that a lot of people on vacation tend to be lax about security. And a lot of people drink too much. Things happen.

The best advice is to always be aware. Stay with others. Don't go wondering off alone.
Old October 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Admiral

I agree...I also don't believe there are serial killers or terrorists aboard any cruise ship.

When we're on vacation...we really want to relax and put all our worries and concerns on hold...somehow...we tend to think the world does too! That is until we get home and collect our mail ....and see the bills that won't wait, the backed up projects at our jobs and the laundry we have to do. But it WAS fun!!!!

But remember just because we're on vacation, and that our life's reality may be on hold...doesn't mean that everyone else is...we still have to be careful about personal security.

Excessive drinking? I don't endorse it on shore, let alone on a ship!
(I do DRINK...but firmly believe that a drunk is no fun. They're an embarrassment to themselves and everyone else who is with them or has to watch their antics)
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yeoman

So we dont disagree my friends, the "serial killer" and all that stuff is only urban myth!....no evidence so far on a line or ship "it" happens on

So what we are saying "is be careful" about yourself, not because there is a mad man or woman about, but through drink "things happen".

You two get my fingers working
Old October 21st, 2006, 08:15 PM
Admiral

I don't think there are "serial" killers on cruise ships, but there could be! Recently a man here was charged with murder and was out on bond (I don't know why ).

His mother and step-father bought him a cruise ticket and he sailed from Galveston to Cozumel and didn't reboard.

Thankfully, they caught up with him in Canada and he was arrested (Mother and step-father are in jail, too.) But he was on the ship for a while!

Being on a ship is like being in a small town. You really never know who's the "bad guy" until it's too late .

The best advice is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
The best advice is to always be aware. Stay with others. Don't go wondering off alone.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Yeoman

There "could be" a serial killer on your bus, your train, your plane, your hotel, your street or working beside you in your office or place of work right NOW.

No, too far fetched?....well they have to live somewhere, apart from the time they may go on a ship!

Chill folks, more chance of winning the lottery two weeks in a row, than meeting such a person
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
Yeoman

Remember, when they catch serial killers and interview their neighbors, the neighbors always say, "Oh, he was a quiet man, seemed nice, kept to himself."

David, you are right ...
in fact, there could be a serial killer on this board!
And on the gripes forum.
And on this thread!
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Yeoman

Big Kisses,,,,,,we agreed . but I will take the kisses back if you are are big hairy steel worker male, who calls himself Fern under disgiuse
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Yeoman

Ah, a Web Board romance ...
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBG
Big Kisses,,,,,,we agreed . but I will take the kisses back if you are are big hairy steel worker male, who calls himself Fern under disgiuse
Not even close! I'm an "old" (depending on how "old" you are ) woman who enjoys bantering with you! As I recall, steel workers work "way up high" and I have trouble even standing at our balcony on the ship!

Maybe DBG is actually a middle aged woman Yikes!

We have to be careful with whom we share our "kisses", but if we ever sail with you, I'll give you ONE! ( a kiss, that is . )

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Remember, when they catch serial killers and interview their neighbors, the neighbors always say, "Oh, he was a quiet man, seemed nice, kept to himself."

David, you are right ...
in fact, there could be a serial killer on this board!
And on the gripes forum.
And on this thread!
Ah Ha...I knew it! It's always the quite nice guys you have to watch out for...Hey...isn't David a nice quite guy?????
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Yeoman

You know, Fieldmouse, I was thinking the same thing ...
Hmmm.