Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Maybe there is a serial killer preying on cruise tourist

You know it really bothers me to hear there is another woman missing while on a cruise. Have we really gave it some serious thought that maybe its some serial killer or terrorist preying on innocent people. A crazed maniac among the employees or among the passengers. What if someone pushed or tossed the passengers makeing sure no one could hear or see. We are very vunerable on these ships.
I read a couple of months ago a young lady was reported missing and later found her body washed up on thebeach of Italy. She was sailing with her family and friends on Royal Carib.
This is terrible and crimes on board ships should be taken very seriously. i read where a young lady described her rape on the ship. Almost everyone accused her of making it up. Some said she asked for it by going to the employee's cabin. I believed her. Just because they are staff and from other countries doesn't mean they aren't bad people. Lets have fun but be careful, OK.

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM
kookylabooka

This kind of unfounded and paranoid rumor spreading does nothing beneficial for anybody.
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
First Mate

You have a very vivid imagination, you may want to consider writing childrens books. Kooky is right, we don't need this kind of conjecture.
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Add me to the chorus. This is the kind of idle speculation that leads to rumors.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Hey guys,

San007 is allowed his or her theories, just as everyone is. You have yours, he or she has his/her's, and I have mine. And who's to say with absolute certainty that San007's isn't correct? After all it is possible.

But just because something is possible doesn't mean it is probable.

San007, your theory is possible, but highly unlikely. Some sociopath could be hopping from ship to ship committing random murders for his twisted pleasure. But most murders are committed by someone with something to gain by them. Bump the husband off to gain the insurance settlement. Bump the cheating wife off in a jealous rage. One doesn't wander the decks of cruise ships and toss passengers overboard just for fun. The cost/benefit ratio isn't in his favor.

The terrorist is going to make the same cost/benefit calculation. Why toss one passenger overboard when he can walk into the dining room, blow himself up, and kill dozens of passengers? (Assuming he could smuggle the explosives on board.)

But being aware of your surroundings is always good advice.

At the same time, the probability of such an incident is so extremely low.

So go on your cruise. Eat drink and be merry. Each day is a gift. Not to be feared, but to be enjoyed.

Dean[/u]
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean
Hey guys,

San007 is allowed his or her theories, just as everyone is. You have yours, he or she has his/her's, and I have mine. And who's to say with absolute certainty that San007's isn't correct? After all it is possible.

But just because something is possible doesn't mean it is probable.

San007, your theory is possible, but highly unlikely. Some sociopath could be hopping from ship to ship committing random murders for his twisted pleasure. But most murders are committed by someone with something to gain by them. Bump the husband off to gain the insurance settlement. Bump the cheating wife off in a jealous rage. One doesn't wander the decks of cruise ships and toss passengers overboard just for fun. The cost/benefit ratio isn't in his favor.

The terrorist is going to make the same cost/benefit calculation. Why toss one passenger overboard when he can walk into the dining room, blow himself up, and kill dozens of passengers? (Assuming he could smuggle the explosives on board.)

But being aware of your surroundings is always good advice.

At the same time, the probability of such an incident is so extremely low.

So go on your cruise. Eat drink and be merry. Each day is a gift. Not to be feared, but to be enjoyed.

Dean[/u]
Thank you, Dean. You're not so MEAN as the others. I am glad there is someone out there with their eyes open and their head out of the sand. I simply expressed that it was something that can't be ignored or taken lightly. I didn't mean to upset anyone nor start any rumors.
Just putting it out there as a possibility.

Old September 13th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

While I don't believe there is some serial killer moving from ship to ship, unanswered questions and unsolved disappearances lead to speculation in the cruise industry and in some ways it may be justified.

Passengers often forget their common sense when they walk onboard and the front office of most cruise lines are not the most forthcoming when it comes to giving information, especially if they or their employees are at fault. The cruise ship is a very closed society that one word from someone in control can send someone packing either to another ship or back to another country.

In the end I believe security needs to be improved, cruise lines need to be held under a bit more scrutiny and passengers need to be held responsible for their actions.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

well said Mike

Old September 13th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Admiral

I also think San007 is a bit crazy for what she thinks....

..I'm SURE it's aliens killing our people! After all, imagine how easy it is to find a cruise ship full of people in the middle of the ocean, rather than victims in a shopping mall with a roof on top....

Life is WAY too long without a sense of humour!!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I also agree... we should be careful of starting or spreading unfounded rumors...

We all remember years ago, the rumors that almost destroyed a certain Beer company... (rumor was that employees were peeing in the beer)

Then there was that whole Satanic symbol fieasco against P&G. Certain products were suppose to be displaying these symbols....all started by and spread by rumor!!

None of the above had ONE bit of truth in it...but these groundless rumors had a terrible impact on the companies involved.

Let's be sensitive to the fact that a lot of people read CruiseMates threads and may take some of the postings too seriously.
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:06 PM
First Mate

JeanS I think you are right on the money. It is aliens (maybe from mars or venus) that are respnsible.
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It's David and he's holding them all in Scotland and feeding them haggis.

He'll return them when they appreciate real football and a decent pint.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old September 13th, 2006, 08:14 PM
First Mate

MikeM
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM
First Mate

OK gang, thats it, with all the serial killers on board and aliens popping up when ever they want to, I'm giving up cruising. I'll find a more safer land vacation like Irag or maybe even in Pakistan (but only when the kids are IN school). No way will I ever set foot on another cruise ship with all this lawlessness.

Thanks San, you have opened my eyes to vacation threat I never thought about.
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Admiral

It isn't aliens or the crew or terrorists that are doing the dastardly deeds.
I have it on good authority ( from my cousins ex-wife's brother-in-law ) that it is actually a team of male midgets dressing themselves as kids, gaining the confidence and trust of lonely ladies--- then committing rape, robbery and mayhem--then flinging the hapless soul over the side.

Who knows where the dastardly duo will strike again !
I have made my wife promise to be especially vigilant on our upcoming Glory cruise and to be rude to any and all kids, just in case.
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
I have it on good authority ( from my cousins ex-wife's brother-in-law ) that it is actually a team of male midgets dressing themselves as kids, gaining the confidence and trust of lonely ladies.
I heard somewhat the same story but what I heard was that they drive the women crazy by playing in the elevators and running in the halls and peeing in the hot tubs. The women throw themselves overboard trying to escape from them.

Aren't I supposed to keep threads on track? I think this needs some levity.

Take care,
Mike[/quote]

Old September 14th, 2006, 01:01 AM
First Mate

You all see? Now there's another reason to stop cruising. ATTACK OF THE KILLER MUNCHKINS!!!!!!!
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default What if??

What if Ted Bundy had been a cruiser?

Watch the grassy knoll....

LL
Navigator - E. Caribbean - 11/2006
Vision - West Coast - 4/2007
Grandeur - Canada/N.E. - 9/2007
Voyager of the Seas -"R"W. Caribbean - 1/2008
Old September 14th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Maybe it's Osama attacking idle Americans on their leisurely cruises. After all, whoever this one person is, they would have to have enough funds to keep purchasing tickets on all of these cruises!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

you gotta love a topic like this!!!
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Beginner

Testing sig
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeoman

What happens you go away for a few days, come back online and your "friends" are accusing you.....

Hey.. I have not got the money to cruise to that extent, never mind as a person not having the notion for something like that.

Mike

A ship is a ship full of people you don't know as people or personally. Yes there is an aspect of personal responsibility, but just maybe…… they should cover every deck and aisle of the ships with video camera's to capture 24 x 7 what is going on.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with that…. as what I do on any day would not lead to me being arrested, dragged up in front of the Captain or whoever for being an a**.

But what it may show is what actually happened on these "unsolved" occasions.?
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
First Mate

I think the media always trys to put a murder twist into these occurances to get that shock factor. I wouldn't be surprised if most are suicides and the rest just accidental due someone goofing off when they are drunk.
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Yeoman

There you have it in the problem YOU all face today, in your media coverage and the "spins" they will put on things to cover paper or air time.

Just watch or read a balanced article and not the gutter press or sensionalism tv station that can start a debate, and then drop it 20 minutes later, because "something else" happened.
Old September 15th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

David:

I knew I could get a rise out of you. I know I could trust you with my life but not with my pint.

Take care of yourself,
Mike

Old September 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Passenger

The first night of my last cruise while sitting on my balcony I saw and heard a drunk next door attempt to stand on a plastic table on his balcony so that he could urinate over the side of the ship. He was pulled away from disaster at a close to falling over the side of the ship moment by another of his drunk pals.

I know the cruise lines, do not remember which lines, has footage of one person going to the railing, disrobing, and jumping in off the top deck. I remember one husband jumping ship due to being fed up with being with his wife...or she with him. They saved him. Imagine the rest of that cruise.

I know it is easier to collect money from the cruise industry if you can prove they are responsible, but I think many times the passenger drank too much.
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think a few people need to replace the tinfoil in their hats.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Jeff Foxworthy made a fortune with his " you may be a redneck if " thing--
I'm not trying to make money and I don't think Jeff would mind if I borrow from him----

You might be a nut if you leave your common sense behind on the dock when you cruise.

You might be a nut if you think because your kids got aboard ship
and the door closed behind them you don't have to look after them for a week.

You might be a nut if you think that because you are on a cruise that you absolutely must drink yourself silly every day and night of the cruise.

You might be a nut if you feel that because you are on a cruise it's the cruiseline's responsibility to look after you and yours each second of every day and night for the duration of the cruise.

Last but not least, you are for sure a nut if you use the balcony railings to
climb on, walk on, sit on, do exercises on and --- for that certain thing that should be reserved for the bunks !

These are some of the nutty things some people do that end up with some very bad results.

Happy sails to all, nuts or not.
Old September 17th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Yeoman

I don't know, but there seems to be more of this stuff going around on ships. I don’t get or accept the "serial killer scenario".

What I can accept is this

People work hard, we all do, but give them their vacation time to relax, be with their family, sort out the problems they live with back home, either in work pressure, debt, family problems etc and add alcohol then things happen, not because of others on the ship, but the baggage some people bring onboard as individuals.

Hey... I'm honest enough to say that I have walked out the house, sat in the garage or car, walked the block in a fit of temper, done stupid thing after a few beers and said and done things I regret. Hey I'm human, and I wake up the next day and try to sort it out.

But for all of the stupid things I may have done in these situations, and no matter the black mood is was in. To take that into jumping off a ship is one you cannot take back or sort out the next day.

I cannot imagine that feeling for all the emotion, anger or helplessness going on in someone’s head, of hitting that water and watching that ship sail away into the dark.

What a cold wake up call to reality that would be, cant sort that out tomorrow. And I really feel that a lot of what we are talking about is people for whatever reason in their own head at that time doing just that.

And yes drink is a catalyst towards these things, as it shoves that person’s reality into another dimension.
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Loved Ron's 'nut' post...too real!