CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Hijacked thread-do not open (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/321931-hijacked-thread-do-not-open.html)

seattleguy37 October 11th, 2006 05:58 AM

Hijacked thread-do not open
 
deleted

DougR. October 11th, 2006 06:44 AM

Re: Lido Dining....UGH!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by seattleguy37
Yes I understand the Lido is designed to appeal to as many different tastes as possible but I found it to be crowded, disorderly and about what you'd expect in terms of quality from a "mall food court" kind of layout. After all the money spent on a cruise it surprises me how many people eat up there.

I also thought the servers were a bit skimpy on portions and got the stinkeye if I asked for more. I know I can go back for seconds, but thats not the point.

What cruise line and which ship?

Texasmunk October 11th, 2006 09:00 AM

Really does not matter which ship.
The Lido, once used for the rare meal, has become the feed bucket for many passengers.
Just another dumbing down of the cruise experience.

DougR. October 11th, 2006 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasmunk
Really does not matter which ship.
The Lido, once used for the rare meal, has become the feed bucket for many passengers.
Just another dumbing down of the cruise experience.

Why would the feeding habits of others bother you? Continue to dine in the venues you prefer and give the Lido a wide berth.

Fieldmouse October 11th, 2006 03:27 PM

I think a lot of times they give out a smaller portion because we tend to WASTE so much food! We're so used to super sizing everything that we've really forgotten what a normal portion looks like. Then we get to our table..start eating and realize that we took too much after all. Or didn't like the dish...that we took DOUBLE portions of. We've got to learn to stop super-sizing every meal.

It's really amazing the amount of food we can put down at one sitting! Most likely a lot of the servers are shocked (at least at first) how much we cruise passengers can eat...But even more how much we WASTE.

Yes...it's true, we paid for the cruise and all the food we could eat...but really, it wouldn't hurt to start with smaller portions and just go back for seconds if we were still hungry...or wanted to nibble a bit more.

seattleguy37 October 11th, 2006 04:47 PM

h

DavidBgood October 12th, 2006 03:34 PM

The WORST alternative evening sit down meal or experience has to be on the Mercury. Celebrity or the ship's hotel manager really knew how to make people feel that they should be in the dinning room.

Temp tables and chairs set up at night inside the indoor swimming pool area for the carvary / buffet, and the smell of pool and lingering odour of those that just left the area from bathing etc whilst your eating I will never forget...terrible.

coconutphil October 12th, 2006 06:16 PM

I avoid lido dining. Why miss a meal in the dining room?

If I return late from an excursion or if my luggage has not yet arrived and I do not have suitable clothes then I will go to the buffet. I try to make the best of it and I usually enjoy the food but I miss the service, the atmosphere and the conversation in the dining room.

Fieldmouse October 12th, 2006 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coconutphil
I avoid lido dining. Why miss a meal in the dining room?

If I return late from an excursion or if my luggage has not yet arrived and I do not have suitable clothes then I will go to the buffet. I try to make the best of it and I usually enjoy the food but I miss the service, the atmosphere and the conversation in the dining room.

If worst comes to worst...we order from room service...and sit on our veranda. We have yet to eat in Lido dining for our dinner meal.

seattleguy37 October 13th, 2006 01:32 AM

de

DavidBgood October 13th, 2006 04:34 PM

This is why sometimes GRIPES does not work. for example I am a dinning room person, but the service and surroundings and quality of food available that I experienced 24x7 on Princess this year, and outwith the dinning room was exceptional.

So maybe we have to be more line or ship orientated when presenting these GRIPES, as one GRIPE does not always fit all in cruising.

So GRIPE, and name and shame or at the same time praise those lines, and give readers, especially NEWBIES a chioce or opinion on what may suit them or not, lets not direct posts always on the negative

Desdemona01 October 16th, 2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattleguy37
This was on *Holland America* Westerdam to Alaska in *May* which meant everything was EXACTLY indoors....no *glamourous* midnight buffets under the stars on this cruise with the exception of the *dessert buffet* which they arranged around the *indoor pool*.

YOUR right Fieldmouse; *portion control* is what many cruisers could use a healthy dose of.

wouldn't it be a little cold for a midnight buffet under the stars in Alaska?

momofmeg October 17th, 2006 09:12 AM

Re: Lido Dining....UGH!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by seattleguy37
Yes I understand the Lido is designed to appeal to as many different tastes as possible but I found it to be crowded, disorderly and about what you'd expect in terms of quality from a "mall food court" kind of layout. After all the money spent on a cruise it surprises me how many people eat up there.

I also thought the servers were a bit skimpy on portions and got the stinkeye if I asked for more. I know I can go back for seconds, but thats not the point.

Well that is true when the ship holds 3000 plus people but when on smaller ships it is not crowded. I do beleive the mega ships needs to have two lido type restuarants to help this situation. I hated standing in line on sea days in the Windjammer on the Mariner of the Seas for 45 minutes plus.

I tried eating lunch in the dinningroom-but the menu was the same everyday and most of it did not fit with my diabetes diet-if I asked the waiters for something differant-they balked-so I stood in line for 45 minutes or more in the windjammer.

That is why I prefer a ship to hold no more then 2000 people. The cruise is MUCH nicer.

momofmeg October 17th, 2006 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidBgood
This is why sometimes GRIPES does not work. for example I am a dinning room person, but the service and surroundings and quality of food available that I experienced 24x7 on Princess this year, and outwith the dinning room was exceptional.

So maybe we have to be more line or ship orientated when presenting these GRIPES, as one GRIPE does not always fit all in cruising.

So GRIPE, and name and shame or at the same time praise those lines, and give readers, especially NEWBIES a chioce or opinion on what may suit them or not, lets not direct posts always on the negative

I am glad to hear that about the CB, David. I will be on CB next week and I HATED Mariner fo the Seas and was very afraid of having the same experience!

I noticed you have been on the Zenith also! I was on her back in February. I guess I am following you around!

kitty2 October 17th, 2006 10:41 AM

Re: Lido Dining....UGH!
 
[quote="momofmeg"]
I tried eating lunch in the dinningroom-but the menu was the same everyday and most of it did not fit with my diabetes diet-if I asked the waiters for something differant-they balked-so I stood in line for 45 minutes or more in the windjammer.
[quote]

Ask to speak to the chef early in the day or at the start of the cruise for some food to meet you diabetic requirements.

If you notify the cruiseline before you board (a week or so) then they can plan ahead for those with medical issues.

DavidBgood October 21st, 2006 02:34 PM

Mom of Meg, hope you had a great time and feed us back your experience.

Not asking for a full cruise review , but how you found it, and being realistic, an open opinion is all I ask for, what was good and what was bad?

These are the things that in my opinion that we use or expect and to be presented fairly for our newbies or others that respect your opinion. Go away from "vapor or payed cruisers opinion's " and into a real and different scenario for that ship or line and wriiten for the people and for no other reason :)

I'll listen always to real people and their opinion on anything...then I make my mind up, give me choice in opinon and thought, that is what makes life tick :D

kd October 23rd, 2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidBgood
The WORST alternative evening sit down meal or experience has to be on the Mercury. Celebrity or the ship's hotel manager really knew how to make people feel that they should be in the dinning room.

Temp tables and chairs set up at night inside the indoor swimming pool area for the carvary / buffet, and the smell of pool and lingering odour of those that just left the area from bathing etc whilst your eating I will never forget...terrible.

Our alternative dining experience on the Mercury was quite the opposite. However, perhaps after your experience near the pool, they changed the venue. We quite enjoyed one evening of dining well in casual clothing, but the tables were nicely set in a portion of the buffet area, nowhere near the pool. Food was good, service good but done by waiters in training, so a bit of patience and humor came in handy.

DavidBgood October 23rd, 2006 04:12 PM

Thanks kd for the update, just curious where do they set up the alternative dinning, you say its now the buffet area? Back in 2002 they closed that really early driving everyone towards the dinning room.... So pleased they changed it.... :D

But can I get this right, you can have an alternative waiter served area within the buffet, or is it just self service buffet that you expect?

If I am right I guess it's tha later, and back then you you had to phone the MaitreD and say you did not want to go to the dinning room, but wanted waiter service in the "alternative" dinning area, ie pre booked, if not you did bufet up until 9:30pm after that room service only as the buffet closed

kd October 23rd, 2006 05:14 PM

It is set up in a portion of the buffet eating area that is not even visible to those using the buffet. We had our own waiter and virtually the same food as the dining room. We just stopped by an hour early and made a reservation. It was an easy way to get a good sit-down meal with waiter service after an excursion. Also a nice way to dine with new friends, other than your usual DR mates.
BTW, two n's in the word make it something related to a noisy 'din' (short i sound), not dine. Every time I read 'dinning' I have to smile and pronounce it as written. LOL

DavidBgood October 24th, 2006 02:21 PM

Great thanks for the feedback, so pleased they changed that.

mmm.... as for the expression of the word or the verbs, using adverbs or tone regarding the word to dine, having dined or the not so personal experience of dinning, ie not personal to the first person singular against the whole experience....no comment .

Thanks kd, maybe I will go back

kd October 24th, 2006 03:10 PM

So this means that you now know how to spell "dining", right??...one n only. :idea:

Fruitcake October 24th, 2006 03:34 PM

Perhaps he meant the verb "din"?

DavidBgood October 25th, 2006 03:28 PM

I'm going to report you two for bullying me

DavidBgood October 26th, 2006 03:18 PM

And sorry in the proper ENGLISH language, it's dinning. The same way that I spell colour and not color. :D

What are you like :D :D , you take the language, change it to suit your self and then moan about those who know how to spell properly 8).

Your lucky the vote from your gt..gt gt grand parents went this way and your now not speaking German as the USA official language. It was a close call when you read the records.

Or did some of you not realise that you could be speaking German right now?

Fruitcake October 26th, 2006 04:22 PM

In all the British lit I have read over the years, I have never seen the word "dinning."

The general rule of English is that when a verb ends in an 'e,' you drop the e when you add 'ing.'

Dive -- diving.
Rake - raking.
Bite -- biting.
Dine - dining.

I don't think anyone was bullying anyone, and I am so sorry you took it that way.
I think we were gently teasing.
Teasing like that generally means you are liked.

Fruitcake October 26th, 2006 04:31 PM

According to the Cambridge International Dictionary ... printed by the press at that very well known university in England ...

dining room noun [C]
a room in which meals are eaten

Sorry, no entry for dinning.

Fruitcake October 26th, 2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Your lucky the vote from your gt..gt gt grand parents went this way and your now not speaking German as the USA official language. It was a close call when you read the records.

Or did some of you not realise that you could be speaking German right now?

And then we'd all have German helmets! LOL

Fern October 26th, 2006 08:27 PM

I "Googled" dinning, and found the definition under the "Urban Dictionary". I can't post on this site their definition of dinning :shock: :shock: ! You'll have to look for yourselves :wink: .

Fruitcake October 27th, 2006 10:59 AM

The Urban Dictionary ... one can only imagine! :shock:

DavidBgood October 27th, 2006 01:44 PM

You are your picking on me, not fair as I am such as quiet person that cannot stand up for himself.

Pair of bullies :D

ps "your right" :oops: :oops: But then again man enough to say when I was wrong :D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1