Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Yeoman

"BUT to gang up and poke fun of someone, to bully them on the boards...or worst, publish an email photo of a person (other than yourself?) for fun and games....That's different!! There isn't an issue being address...it's just being rude, crude and mean".

Sorry Cassandra, your confusing me here regarding your right and wrong perception regarding what you feel is acceptable after reading other posts/threads.....but thats me confused as always.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Admiral

What is fun about posting on the boards is we have the opportunity to express ourselves, even if at times we may be a little tactless. But non-the-less we have a good time, and get to cyber-socialize within the CruiseMate community.

Since we are personally involved in the CM community, when we post and get a response, we have the opportunity TO re-response, to defend our view point if necessary.

For a cruise passenger to snapped a photo of an unknown passenger...let's say while that person was using the Ships Spa area, pool or gym, (when most of us are at our most vunerable)...then to publish that photo on a web or chat site for anonymous fun is another matter. The entertainment being, to use the photo to comment negatively and/or mock the person's size, weight or taste in clothes.

On another board...they've even blow up the photo to hone in on the 'offending' body parts. (thighs, butt, belly etc.)

There is no question this is cruel, but it also smacks of the type of bullying that goes on in some high schools, against youth already burden with low self-esteem, only this is being done by ADULTS! (can we say, 'role models'?)

The victim, and they are a victim, has no recourse...no way to say..."STOP, don't do that!" In fact, the reason they're on the website IS because that person, is already considered, persona non grata...

Really, can you imagine the person who is the object of this type of humor, by chance seeing themselves on the website thinking it was ok, "No problem, all in good fun"?

That passenger is a victim with no recourse or defense.

On the other hand, I don't think that everyone disagreeing with an OPoster is ganging up or bullying either. I guess I should have been clearer on that. Sorry...
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
110% agreed, when a picture appears not of the poster but of someone else and only with the intention of generating snide or derogatory remarks. Then the boards should… if they are decent at all, treat it in the same way they would do with words written and geared to do the same thing or reaction, dump it.

It’s called self-policing, and on here I feel they do it right, can’t talk for other boards or the values of the people that run them.

Its a sick world we live in, unfortunately some are sicker than others and the internet allows them to get away with it.
David I did hit the triangle thingie and complained. The response I got from the mod was this was not his "cup of tea" but the post had broken no rules. So it is allowed here.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Admiral

I agree that a person's likeness should not be used without their permission IF it was a "snapshot"! If it's posted on another site (i.e. webshots, etc.), then it's "fair game"! I know which picture was posted, but don't know if it was "fair game" . Once you put your picture on the web you really can't complain.

Personally, I'd never post a pic of myself or any of my family on the web, but many people do!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
I agree that a person's likeness should not be used without their permission IF it was a "snapshot"! If it's posted on another site (i.e. webshots, etc.), then it's "fair game"! I know which picture was posted, but don't know if it was "fair game" . Once you put your picture on the web you really can't complain.

Personally, I'd never post a pic of myself or any of my family on the web, but many people do!
well I have posted pictures of us but they ae frlatering pictures and no the person on that thread was BRAGGING about taking the picture on their cell phone and how "sly" they were!

Now I will say this-the OP of that thread started it joking about his speedo photo-and then he posted a picture of himself in Speedo brand trunks. At first it was a good thread but it turned ugly when people started posting unattractive pictures of people they did not know.

I don't think the thread needs to go away-just edited.