Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

STAY ON THE BOAT!!!!
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Old November 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
In a way is this not linked to another thread regarding Key West and US custom laws?

Are the lines now thinking that we will stay "totally" outside US ports and water until we have to come back home and then deal with all that stuff in Miami. Because breaking the cruise to come back into the USA and out again is causing us problems?

Just a thought
David it is done. It is a bunch of garbage but both in St. thomas and Key West last year we had to go through a line with our passports and show them even if we were staying on ship.
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Have never been to Costa Maya. I am going in Feb. I understand that Costa Maya itself is a made up port and pretty much a tourist trap. However I understand for little money ($3) you can hop a bus to the little fishing village down the coast (Mahahual) that has some fairly nice beaches with some funky little beach side bars. Any comments on this.
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Some people don't like that little fishing village, but we do. It is still locals trying to sell you stuff, but the beach is lovely and the locals are friendlier, it seems to me. I also have gotten some nicer than usual handcrafts there. Last time, I saw a woman dusting in her shop. She was using a real feather duster that was handmade and beautiful. I talked her into selling it to me and I love it.
Marty, the shopper for odd things
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Admiral

I like Costa Maya...

Some of my pics here - scroll down about half way to Costa Maya...

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/zc_cruise_page.htm
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Familiar Face

STAY ON THE BOAT!!!!!!!
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Yeoman

Its all opinion based on those that have done it and been there, the fact is you have not. 8)

So decision time, go with an opinion from people you have never met or know or try it for yourself...Thats the best one.

It costs money to try it, but it maybe just be your thing and if not,,,then you learn for the next time.

Try everything for yourself, that is what makes a cruise....not opinion
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Zydecocruiser--those were some great photos--thanks for sharing.

Regarding the advice to stay on the ship, you will never know whether or not you would like something until you try it.
I have been to Costa Maya 3 times and can always find something interesting and different to do from taking a tour to Mayan ruins to visiting the small village down the beach to loafing around the main area, etc.

As far as being a tourist trap, can you name me a bigger tourist trap than St. Thomas ??--but that doesn't mean that there aren't beautiful and interesting places and things to do.

Don't go somewhere you have never been and stay on the ship because someone said so---get out and explore a little.
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Passenger

I don’t care for Costa Maya mainly because the port itself is so touristy. For the people who don’t leave the port area this stop could be really be awful. It might be good for those who like a westernized version of Mexico or just lounge around. They have lots of westernized Mexican food, beer, and junk shops (albeit expensive ones). In my opinion for the real fun you have to leave port but again this is personal preference and some people may not find that enjoyable either.

The town is neat in my opinion, but many people don’t visit it. Some people seem to get scared when visiting “real? Mexican towns. This is not the sanitized Mexican town you get in many other places.

Disclaimer: The following is not meant to offend and I don’t mean anyone here so please don’t get defensive. Many people on cruises are away from home for the first time get intimidated or don’t understand a way of life different than theirs. They see pictures of Cozumel or Cancun and expect all of Mexico to be touristy like that. We overheard a group talking about the “poor people?. They didn’t realize that the people they were pointing at good, decent, middle class Mexican citizens. They were restaurant owners and people that owned the real estate in town. Some also pointed at houses in town and call them “slums? when in fact they are considered nice places to live. We tend to compare things in foreign countries to what we have at home. It’s an impossible comparison. Without getting into a political debate we “live large? in the U.S., even when compared to Europeans. As such most things don’t compare and it is a culture shock and even scary. I know the first time my parents visited me when living in Malaysia they thought the area was awful when in fact it was a rather affluent one.

I also think some people may have some facts wrong or exaggerate a bit. The Mayan ruins at Chacchoben only take 40 minutes to drive to. That’s as close or closer than most ruins at other ports. They are great excavated ruins, including large pyramids, and there are many other unexcavated ones in the area. Its almost more interesting to look at the tree covered hills and spot walls and parts of the mostly covered temples peeking through. You feel like an archeologist or Indiana Jones.

Kohunlich is also a wonderful place and only takes 2 hours to get to one way. It’s on par with many other sites. They have many interesting and rare carvings here and quite a large number of ruins.

Both sites are excellent because they don’t have the massive amount of tourists like Tulum and Chichen Itza. It’s very easy to get photos without people in them; you also don’t feel rushed along. Tulum has started to feel like waiting in line at Disney world and it’s become almost impossible to get photos of the big sites without other people in them. Both ruins at Costa Maya are VERY much worth the visit. The structures around Costa Maya, for better or worse, are far more interactive. Meaning you can touch and walk on many of them.

As I mentioned above I personally don’t care for Costa Maya that much and I will likely avoid cruises that stop there for a while. As a matter of fact Costa Maya, as of now, is my least favorite port in Mexico. I feel like I have done most of the things I want to do there. I admit a touristy stop like Cozumel is nice when on vacation, lots of things to do. At Costa Maya once you visit both ruins and spend some time in town there is little left to see. But those ruins ARE worth visiting. If you haven’t been to Costa Maya and are interested in ruins it is a must stop. If you have only been to one set of ruins, go again and see the others. I also think Costa Maya will build into a very nice port to visit any time in a few years.
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Yeoman

I just love post like that new22003, I learned something and brilliant perspective as what to expect, nice one and Ron, cool 8)
Old December 18th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Thank you for the intelligent post about the ruins near Costa Maya. I am very much into the Mayan history, etc., but was disappointed a couple of years ago when I took a friend to Tulum. I had not been there in many years and was appalled at how crowded it was. Still interesting, but much harder to use one's imagination about their lives when all you can see are tourists. I will definitely check out the Costa Maya ones next time I'm there.
Thanks!
Marty
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Hi colorcrazie,

We too love ruins, Mayan and otherwise. We also like exploring them and using our imaginations to picture the site in its heyday. I agree it has gotten rather hard to do at many of the sites in Mexico. I’m very happy to say it’s still very easy to do at both Chacchoben and Kohunlich. They are still relatively unspoiled and get low amounts of traffic. How long this will last is anyone’s guess. I would say do them now before Costa Maya explodes into a major destination.

Our last trip to Chacchoben was wonderful. There were only 3 busses in the parking lot, although there were 3 ships in port. Each bus had about 40 people in it. They take the groups on different routes so everyone isn’t in the same area at the same time. I have posted some photos at webshots and I have the link below. I will try and find my photos from Kohunlich and do the same. As you can see from the photos I have posted there is practically no one there. Out of the 40 photos I posted I believe only 1 or 2 have people in them. This wasn’t due to my positioning and I didn’t have to wait a long time for those shots. It just wasn’t that busy amazing to me considering the 3 large ships in port, close proximity to Costa Maya, and a nice not too hot day.

Heres the photos, enjoy

http://community.webshots.com/album/556477430BtWiCm
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Zydecocruiser--those were some great photos--thanks for sharing.
Thank you. Chac-Chi is an example of something that is not a tourist trap and I have never seen it crowded. It is rustic and an adventure to get to. You might even run into the captain of your ship there!

I've taken two snorkel trips and both only cost $15 - hard to beat that. On the second one, I was the only passenger!

The cruise port itself is a tourist trap with high prices.

I'm captive on the ship on sea days - when in port I'm getting off! Be a traveler - not a tourist.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Costa Maya was the biggest dissapointment as a port of call that anyone could have imagined....it sucks!

If you can skip it , by all means relax and enjoy the ship!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm a little late into this thread, but its time for a bump and a differing opinion.

As most people have posted, I would also tell you that the port of Costa Maya pretty much sucks. Its a man-made tourist trap like I've never seen. In our two stops at Costa Maya, we couldn't get away from the port fast enough. Too crowded, to cheezy and way to commercial for us. It just seemed like a really bad version of Disney's Epcot.

But thats no reason to stay on the ship. Both times there we spent absolutely wonderful and relaxing beach days at the developing fishing village of Majahual. There are many beach bars that will provide an umbrella and chairs. The one we went to offered an all day beach break party that included a table, umbrella and chairs with an open bar for $25 per person. Great beach with superb service from the bartenders and waitresses. Excellent food served just across the street for very reasonable prices. All in all, Majahual was regarded as two of the great port days of all our cruises. But, then again, one of our favorite activities is to hang out on the beach all day, drinking and eating and enjoying some cool beach music.

Bottom line, Costa Maya sucks, Majahual rocks. Dont stay on the ship.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Three cheers for dropping Costa Maya!!!
I got back four weeks ago from a Western Caribbean cruise (1/14/07-1/21/07) and we stopped at Costa Maya and I too was disappointed with it as a port. We didn't do any shore excursions and decided to go shopping instead. I was truly disappointed with the price of the silver, they would NOT barter for a better price, each place I went said that is the price and that is it. I did manage to get then to knock $10 on four pairs if earrings. I could have bought the same quality silver earrings here for less, but since this was Taxsco silver and uniquely designed, I gave it and spent $10 more than I should have. Most other stores didn't have good deals either, no 3 for $10 t-shirt deals at all. Onyx wasn't cheap either, bought a small Chichen Itza for $10, way to much,but I wanted it.
Next cruise I take, which will be October/November of this year on Carnival Conquest I will NOT do an excursion or shopping in Mexico--I'll take advantage of the multitude of vacant deck chairs and get a sunburn.
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Some like steak, some don't.

Some like lobster, some don't.

Some like adult drinks, some don't.

If you feel good about it, do it. If you are uncomfortable, then don't.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Default costa maya

I just returned from "Costa Maya". First, I would like to say this it is a port that has been created by the cruise ship industry. I knew this ahead of time from doing some reading. The port was the usual shopping sites and the beach and pool (human bacteria milkshake) to the left getting off the boat is all created. Kind of like a cruise ship mini disney world. The town of Mahaual is tiny and very poor. The vendors are aggresive, but no worse than other carribean islands. They are poor folks that are just trying to make money off the cruisers. Hey, who could blame them? After talking to some locals, they now have a a free new primary school and all the kids were clean and in uniform. My sis and I got a massage on the beach which was very inexpensive and relaxing. We had very good homeade quesidillas at a semi-quiet place. The further you wander down the main street the quieter it becomes. It is what it is, taxi is cheap and definately worth getting out of the official port that is fake and full of spring breakers!
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Passenger

I personally loved Costa Maya, and I will definitely consider going back to Costa Maya on other cruises. Sure, I'm not too impressed by the little shopping area that the cruise industry built up by the dock. But then, that is not the real Costa Maya.

Why did I like Costa Maya?

1) The small fishing village. It costs about $3 to get there when leaving the shopping district, and cab rides back are $2. It's a small, quiet fishing village--it gives you a sense of "real" Mexico and the way that a small fishing village would be before things get too commercial.
2) The beach in the village was great, and when we went in the middle of February, the water was actually nicer here than it was in Grand Cayman or Ocho Rios, and I wish we would have had more time to actually just enjoy the beach.
3) Cruise lines are adding more excursions here all the time, it seems.
4) The Chacchoben ruins--but not through the cruise line. I have heard people who have done that and didn't like it. Use The Native Choice in Costa Maya--they actually give you more back ground, more history, more culture, and more time on the grounds than the cruise line exercusion. Our guide actually grew up on the Chacchoben ruins site and was a lot more knowledgable about it than the company the cruise line goes through.

And we got soft drinks on our tour, and I had no problem with any "gastric distress."

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Passenger

Okay, I'm just going to come right out and say it. Never, ever, listen to anyone who tells you not to experience something for yourself.

Simple as that.

The most touristy, cheesy manufactured port on earth might still be a place that you enjoy thoroughly and remember forever, because of a particular restaurant, a cheap and relaxing massage under the shade next to a sunny beach, a particular item that you find and purchase, a local with a warm and friendly personality, or maybe, just maybe, the company of someone you love on a white sand beach.

I have read accounts on this and other forums of just such experiences that were experienced in Costa Maya. Granted, most were in Mahahual, rather than in the noisier, more touristy port area, but the place is not, despite the opinions of some folks here, a total bust.

Again. Never, ever listen to anyone who tells you not to experience something for yourself.

Rhapsody Of The Seas 9/05, 5/06, 10/06 ROTS - Upcoming 5/6/07
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Yeoman

Hip, hip hoorah, a person of vision

Nice one 8)
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Passenger

Thanks! I'm not sure what the motivation is for people to denounce an entire port based on thier narrow experience there. And honestly, my wife and I had almost decided not to get off the ship when we dock in Roatan, Honduras, because of some negative reports. We've never been there, and some of the folks made it sound horrible.

Fortunately, I kept reading and found just as many accounts of how it was a Must see place! I really hope no one reads the first half of this thread and decides not to get off the ship and explore this port. They could be missing out on a great experience.

Besides, the worst thing that happens is that it ends up not being your favorite place. Who cares!? You're still on vacation, and there is a beach and a beer somewhere to be had. The alternative is to stay on the ship, which, of course is not expensive or touristy at all.

Rhapsody Of The Seas 9/05, 5/06, 10/06 ROTS - Upcoming 5/6/07
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Default Chac Chi in Costa Maya

With regard to Chac Chi, this is the area with lots of palapas next to the port, separated by the big giant wall the port owner built to keep tourists from going there. We snuck through the hole in the fence a couple of weeks ago. Was it touristy? Nope, didn't see more than four people there the whole day. Was it expensive? Nope, the bar and restaurant wasn't even open, and all we had to do was take a little walk to get there, it didn't cost us a cent. They had lots of lounge chairs and a small white sand beach which is semi protected from the rough seas, The pictures we took there were gorgeous. They look like postcards. We played in the sand and the water then laid on a lounge under the shade of palm trees. We stayed about 5 hours. Not one pushy vendor, no one bothered us in any way. If you email the owner you may be able to find out in advance if the bar/restaurant will be open or not.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
First Mate

think costa maya sucks? try manzanillo or topolobampo on the pacific side!!! might make cm look like paradise. and acapulco isn't far behind; a stroll to the zocolo there is like a trip to baghdad.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Yeoman

Hmmmmm, my first post completely disappeared after I clicked on submit, interesting, so I'll try it again.......

My daughter emailed me last night and informed me of a current thread running on another message board. I know I can't say the name so I'll only say Si Si.....get it???? Now go check out the thread by the woman claiming that she was drugged in this same port just last week. She claims she must have been given the date rape drug, thank God she wasn't raped, only robbed. It is obvious that if she was drugged, it happened before she started to drink a mixed drink. The lesson learned, never, ever, leave your drink unattended, not only there, but anywhere and when drinking a bottle or canned drink, make sure that you are the one that opens it. Many women travel solo, and to err on the side of being overly cautious, just might save someone a lot of grief.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Drop Costa Maya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie
Next to San Juan, this has got to be the worst port that I've been to. There is just nothing to do here. The shopping square is a joke as are most of the excurcision choices. Sure you can go the Ruins but once is enough. My last two cruises Cozumel has been replaced with Costa Maya prior to sailing. I understand that the number of ships are resrticted in Cozumel because of damage to the piers from last years hurricane. Why not go to Belize or Key West? Oh well, that's my gripe. Happy cruising to everyone.
Went there in 2005 aboard the Carnival Miracle out of Tampa, I loved it, I was with a large group and we enjoyed it more than any other stop. But hey, I have fun anywhere I am because of my attitude!
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

That is what everyone says about this Port.
Coral Princess 9-18-06 (Alaska)
Carnival Fantasy 02-04-2008, Caribbean
RC - Grandeur of the Seas 8-2010-Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2-3-2013 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - 9-21-2013 - New England
RC - Serenade of the Seas 4-2014 - Bahamas
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:17 PM
First Mate

I just wanna add, we did get off the boat and had a GREAT time.
The village at the pier was a little cheezey. reminded me a little of cozumels little shops but newer and pricier. we ended up going to Kohunlich Mayan Ruins. Had a fabulous time. I think what made it was the ruins were set in a jungle atmosphere. kinda indiana jones like. Very enjoyable.
DONT STAY ON THE BOAT
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like Costa Maya because I like to visit the ruins. My first visit there I saw Kohunlich and loved it although it was a very long ride. The second time I had just been to Belize the day before and had had my fill of ruins. I think I had some bad water in Belize because I was too sick to spend much time in the shops in Costa Maya and ended up going back to the Miracle where I had a relaxing afternoon at the ship's spa. I was very disappointed with one of the jewelry shops in CM, but I did have fun haggling with another shop keeper and brought home a very nice terra cotta mask. For anyone visiting Costa Maya I would recommend an excursion.