Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Passenger

Default Passport Issue

The moving back of the passport requirement date for sea and land travel has really been a bugger to keep up with. Do I need a passport or not threads have been popping up every couple of weeks. As it stands "this second" those cruisers that leave from the US mainland (including PR,USVI, and Hawaii) are not required to have a passport till Jan 2009.

But if you encounter a problem and have to fly back to the US from some port other than those listed above you will be required to have a passport to re-enter the US after 8 Jan 2007. Geez what a mess......

Knowing that this problem is there, I wonder why the cruise industry doesn't use this as a marketing tool. I believe that they would be successful in marketing a $50 onboard credit if you get your passport before the cruise. Most of the complaints have been the cost associated with getting a passport. The on board credit cuts the cost in half and once the passport is purchased the cruise lines will have a chance to get repeat cruisers if they do their jobs and make the cruise an enjoyable experience.

Sooner or later everyone is going to be required to have one anyway, just seems like that cruise lines would get a jump on the land lovers that are sitting on the fence.

Well its just a thought.............
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
First Mate

Everyone just needs to get a passport! What is the point in waiting? This procrastination annoys me as much as the last-minute tax filers--why do the taxpayers have to pay to keep the post offices open until midnight on 4/15, just to accomodate the lazy people who wait? I assume that the taxpayers will again have to pay for overtime for the workers to process all of the last-minute passport applications when the deadline finally does arrive.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Admiral

i don't think that you will see the cruise lines giving any kind of incentives to folks who get passports before the deadline as the cruise industry was "instrumental" in getting the deadline pushed back as they claimed they would loose business.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Yeoman

This is so alien to me that I dont think I understand the tone, and so far can give no sympathy to what I read from the thread starter.

Someone please explain this to me....and apart from some people wanting the lines to take a cost for their own "personal" passport.

Question: If you dont have a passport, how can you move outside your country USA, go to "wherever" and expect just to be let back in???

Its a reasonable question from a person who always seen a passport as the document that said "I belong to this country".

If you dont have one, what do you use?.... Please dont tell me its a birth certificate, you can get them off the net or for a few bucks a copy from a registrars.
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM
First Mate

I agree with dbg. What is the big deal? Just get a passport. Keep in mind that US passports are good for 10 years and cost $50. Ours are good for only 5 and cost $87. So a US passport is a bargain. Besides, it only makes sense to have official ID in these days of heightened security. And yes, of course, this should apply to Americans as well. In a post some time ago on this never-ending subject, a woman got snarky with me, and said 'well everyone wants to get into US..who wants to get into Canada?' ??????? While she is woefully misinformed on both counts, once again I say...show your pride people (its what you're known for) and wave your new US passports in the air!
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Admiral

I've been using and waving my passport since I was a baby. HAHAHA I can't imagine not having a passport.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Passenger

Excuse me, I suppose that I set the wrong tone. David I wasn't trying to seek any sympathy, I have a passport. What I was trying to convey is that if the very life blood of my business in North America was hinging on wheather my pax had a passport or not, I believe that I would try to do something to insure that the pax had them.

I'm sure that many other businesses that deal in border business are fighting the requirements just as hard. Shopping in old Mexico, skiing in Canada come to mind but I'm sure that they're many such cases that I haven't even thought of.

What I'm saying is that the cruise industry could build up a good fan base by offering the OBC as a carrot. What is $50, a few free drinks at the bar, a down payment at the spa for the ladies? Just seems like a good marketing tool. They give "free upgrades" to insure that the ships are filled. Those "upgrades" cost several $100 dollars according to the price brochers.

If the OBC is given the new pax doesn't sail again then the cruise line didn't do its job. If the pax does sail again then there is a great possibility that the pax will cruise with the same line that made them want to go back in the first place. After all anything that can get the newbies on the ship the first time (short of shanghi' them) has got to be good business for the different cruise lines.........
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Just my opinion ....but most of the complainers are Americans that don't think they should need a passport ..
They can go anywhere they want and do anything they want

That is why the rest of the world calls them "ugly Americans"

We have had passports since I started travelling out of the country back in the 70's.

The last 2 yrs crossing the U.S. border we have been asked for Passports ...they don't ask for I.D. they say PASSPORTS.

WOW it will cost the $50. out of there beer money.
Old October 24th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Yeoman

Americans who travel out of the country generally do have passports.
But so many people have been able to go places -- Canada, Mexico, Caribbean islands -- without them.

Now that it's going to be required, a lot of people are confused/concerned.

To some, it's not the money but the effort of providing the required docs and mailing it all out ...
Old October 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Passenger

Passport apathy or resistance is common amongst US citizens.

Many, if not most US citizens have not traveled outside of their own country and have little desire to do so. Chances are those who have traveled to another country went to Mexico or Canada where they were not asked for a passport.

In addition, many US citizens resist passports because of deep rooted feelings about the national government and fear that a national ID could result in an invasion of privacy and/or restriction of freedom. Even after 9-11 there is resistance to a national system of identification. Standardizing requirements for state driver’s licenses is even controversial.

BTW Canadians are Americans too.

Old October 24th, 2006, 08:09 PM
First Mate

I guess you could call us Americans, in the same sense that someone from Mexico, Guatemala, Brazil or Chile is an 'American'. However, the citizens of the United States of America use the term for themselves as well as 'America' to denote their country. So does the rest of the world. Canadians, will never prefer to be called American, and indeed my Canadian passport is often key to explaining around the world, that "NO, I am not American."
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutphil

Not in my world!!!
Old October 24th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty2
Quote:

Not in my world!!!
Last I looked, I was still Canadian too.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Passenger

Ouch, I didn't mean to step on the toes of our northern or southern neighbors The original post was just a statement and example of how the cruise industry could use the confusion of the passport issue in the US as a marketing tool.

I stated that they could issue a $50 OBC to those who purchased a p/p to cruise. The OBC is a little more than half of the $90 plus service fees of the passport.

As for the 2nd post, to paraphase the industry lobby, the requirement of the p/p for Mexico, Canada, and Caribbean sailings would cripple the industry.

The reason that your not hearing much from the airline lobby is that they still have the in country routes and it is not such a large % of the industry for fights outside of the US. So the requirement is no big thing to them. Get one to fly or stay home.

I sure didn't mean to step on any ones toes by the post. Hey, does this mean I'm one of the "ugly Americans" now.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBG
If you dont have one, what do you use?.... Please dont tell me its a birth certificate, you can get them off the net or for a few bucks a copy from a registrars.
That is exactly why passports are now going to be required to get back into the US! It's just too easy to get a "fake" BC and DL.

DBG, being in the UK with many countries around you, having a passport is certainly necessary. Those of us who live in the "middle" of the US have never even thought about having to have a passport. We can travel thousands of miles and never leave the US.

We did get our passports ASAP after the first notification that we'd need one to travel outside the US. It makes everything so much easier!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:13 PM
First Mate

Joey, no offense taken...heh, some of my best friends are ugly Americans . Most of us were responding to cocnutphil's remark. I think sometimes Americans forget that other people are just as proud of their own country as Americans are.
I personally don't see that the cruise lines would be in danger with the new rules, and I think it rather ridiculous that it was pushed ahead another 2 years. It would take a whole lot more than a little red tape and inconvenience to stop me from cruising!
BTW Coconutphil, you already have a Social Insurance Number so I'm pretty sure Washington already knows who you are...and they know where you live
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Passenger

In my previous post I made two points: that many US citizens are either apathetic about passports or they are hostile to a national ID like a passport. Feel free to read my post if you want more information on these two opinions.

For more information on the fact that Canadians are Americans, I recommend a map.

BTW I have a passport, that’s where I keep my stamp collection.

Old October 25th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Admiral

You wouldn't believe how many people think Canada is an extension of the US. *scratches head* I programmed a report and handed it over to the lady that reqested it. She specified that it was to list US only. OK.... So she gets back to me and complained that Ontario wasn't listed. Ummm.. thats Canada. You know.. NOT US. So she had me change it to include Canada as well.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Yeoman

Wow ... this thread seems to have gotten a little ethnocentric.

Residents from the US are called "Americans" -- I guess "United Stateseans" didn't sound so good.

Canada is certainly part of North America, but I would never call Canadians "Americans."
I think "Canadians" is more appropriate.

My grandparents [on my mom's side] were born and raised in Newfoundland and were proud of their Canadian heritage.

[Feel free to start singing "We are Family" here.]
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

For more information on the fact that Canadians are Americans, I recommend a map.
I would like to see your map that says Canadians are Americans!!

Canada is part of the continent of North America but WE ARE NOT AMERICANS!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake

Now that it's going to be required, a lot of people are confused/concerned.

To some, it's not the money but the effort of providing the required docs and mailing it all out ...
I don not see why people are confused ...just get a passport.
It is the U.S. government that will denied you entry to your home upon returning from outside the country.

I am sure they have people that can help fill in the paperwork
Heck americans can even do their own phots on your computer...we have to have a passport photo from a photo shop.
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
I don not see why people are confused ...just get a passport.
It is the U.S. government that will denied you entry to your home upon returning from outside the country.

I am sure they have people that can help fill in the paperwork
Heck americans can even do their own phots on your computer...we have to have a passport photo from a photo shop.
People are confused because for a long time US residents have been able to travel to countries on our borders -- Canada, Mexico -- without a passport. They have also been able to travel to some Caribbean islands without a passport.
So people are used to going on *some* cruises without needing a passport.

Then the government sets a deadline for when passports will be needed to go out of the U.S.
Then the governmet changes the deadline, so people can still cruise to some Caribbean islands, or to Mexico or Canada, without a passport.
Then deadlines are set again.

I have had a passport for years, so I have ignored the whole deadline situation.
But I can see where it would become confusing.

I don't believe there are *people* desingated to help others fill in the paperwork.
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM
First Mate

could we please stop with the *ugly American* insults?? Lumping us all together and stereotyping us is very unfair. There are stereotypes for every nation in the world and I personally don't buy in to them. We've traveled around Canada several times and, gratefully, were only treated with friendship and civility. I'm very grateful that I didn't run into this type of bashing! If we are so offensive to our neighbors to the north then perhaps you need to lobby your representatives to tighten the borders. I'm sure your tourism industry would love that.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
First Mate

Quote:
In my previous post I made two points: that many US citizens are either apathetic about passports or they are hostile to a national ID like a passport. Feel free to read my post if you want more information on these two opinions.

BTW I have a passport, that’s where I keep my stamp collection.
Obviously, we already read your previous post and understood your two points. Perhaps you need to read my response again. Do you refer to someone from Columbia or Belize as 'American'? I think not. Yes, we are North American inhabitants. No, we are not 'Americans' as the world sees the term. BTW as Canadians, our knowledge of geography, both in our own country and the world, exceeds the average American. That is not an insult to all Americans, nor a stereotype, simply fact. We are not trying to dump on Americans, but were simply showing our Canuck pride. Desdemona, sorry about my response to the 'ugly American' *JOKE* made by Joey. I personally, have never used the term (until responding in like humorous fashion on the post) and in fact, my son-in-law is American, as were some of my grandparents. As I said (poorly perhaps) some of my best friends are indeed American. So except for the one comment from someone in Ontario, no one has been bashing Americans. As you found on your trip, Canadians have a reputation for being nice people. And just to make you feel better, last week, our elderly pastor and his wife drove off an embankment in the mountains, car totalled, the two of them miraculously able to climb out of the vehicle and up to the highway. Two carloads from Missouri came to their rescue and did everything they could to help. Including climbing down the hill and retrieving all their personal gear from the wrecked car.
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Just my opinion ....but most of the complainers are Americans that don't think they should need a passport ..

We have had passports since I started travelling out of the country back in the 70's.

The last 2 yrs crossing the U.S. border we have been asked for Passports ...they don't ask for I.D. they say PASSPORTS.

WOW it will cost the $50. out of there beer money.
This wasn't meant to be a joke, clearly. For the record, I DO have my passport and I DON'T drink beer, so the snide comments are uncalled for. Plus, in the US at least, while (apparently) Canadians can do circles around us in geography, "there" refers to a place and "their" refers to people. National pride is fine but it shouldn't be at the expense of our respect for each other as people. This thread has gone from discussing potential OBC for getting passports to an indictment of lazy, self absorbed Americans. I think every nation can claim a few of those types.
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
So except for the one comment from someone in Ontario, no one has been bashing Americans.
I was not "bashing" americans they can do that for themselves
What I said was

"some Americans that don't think they should need a passport ..

You have probably met some if you travel...
Why don't they speak English while in Italy? why don't they take U.S.D?
snap their fingers at people in restaurants ...these are the ugly people
They wear Canadian Flags on their clothing to try to disguise the fact they are American because they know the rest of the World treats Canadians better.
We do notice a difference when travelling ...the locals ask where in the U.S. we are from we tell them we are Canadian their attitude changes immediatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd
last week, our elderly pastor and his wife drove off an embankment in the mountains, car totalled, the two of them miraculously able to climb out of the vehicle and up to the highway. Two carloads from Missouri came to their rescue and did everything they could to help. Including climbing down the hill and retrieving all their personal gear from the wrecked car.
Glad to hear they were ok but...
I don't see what difference it make where the people that helped were from I am sure any decent person would have done the same thing to help those people.
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona01
This wasn't meant to be a joke, clearly. , "there" refers to a place and "their" refers to people.
No it was not a joke it is what the other Countries call Americans.

OMG! the spelling police .
It was a small error on my part sorry...I do know the difference unlike the person who thinks Canadians are American.

Enough said!
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
No it was not a joke it is what the other Countries call Americans.

OMG! the spelling police .
It was a small error on my part sorry...I do know the difference unlike the person who thinks Canadians are American.

Enough said!
Actually, it was the grammar police.
And you could be cited for mulitple infractions.
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
First Mate

ENOUGH ALREADY!!! Everyone have a super day, pack your passport, put a smile on your face and have a great cruise holiday.
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Yeoman

Sounds like cut and run to me.

DBG should be weighing in soon ...