Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ignoring the rules

Some passengers seem to like ignoring the rules. Bare chested men in the Lido Buffet. Woman not wearing cover-ups in the same place. Certainly does change one's appetite. Muscle shirts and ball caps in the dining room during open sitting in the San Juan port. There are times when the term Ugly American is legit.
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Yeoman

SorryValtime which ship is this we are talking about? As I can think of ten that have a "lido buffet"
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry - Just got off the Triumph. Had a great time, great crew, wonderful meals. Beds are super. Just some of the passengers are too much to "bare". :-) 35 cruises and not a bad one yet!!!
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Yeoman

How do you know those particular passengers were Americans?
Old October 31st, 2006, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

oooh, excellent question!!!!!
I hate to say this - cause it has nothing to do with cruises...but when I've traveled into the Caribbean, the people who are the most nude, wear the skimpiest outfits, were not Americans!! How do I know? Well, there were the two German women who were built like they were wrestlers!!! They were not fat or anything, but they couldn't keep themselves apart! And there was the man around 70 with the body of a 70 year old wearing a thong! I have a picture of him!!!! I really didn't need to see that. Can't forget about the 40 year old man who weighed easy 300 wearing a spedo....he was from England..... couldn't even see the speedo. I am assuming he was wearing one, but I really never saw it.

Most American men - unless they are on the swim team, do not wear speedos and generally do not need to wear thongs....
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Yeoman

Eh,,,what did I read this right

"And there was the man around 70 with the body of a 70 year old wearing a thong! I have a picture of him!!!! I really didn't need to see that."

You did not have to see it, but you took a photograph of this poor 70 year old man and his body, for what?

Sorry not being mean, just confused
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM
Yeoman

I agree -- makes no sense.
On one hand to say "I didn't need to see that," and on the other to say "I have a picture of him."

Taking pictures of people only to make fun of them later is pretty pathetic.
Use your camera for good things -- good memories of places you've been.
If someone doesn't measure up to your aesthetic standards -- ignore him/her. Don't take that person's picture.

Think about karma.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was on the trimuph last april, and saw several men turned away from breakfast by the host for muscle shirts.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
I hate to say this - cause it has nothing to do with cruises...but when I've traveled into the Caribbean, the people who are the most nude, wear the skimpiest outfits, were not Americans!! How do I know? Well, there were the two German women who were built like they were wrestlers!!! They were not fat or anything, but they couldn't keep themselves apart! And there was the man around 70 with the body of a 70 year old wearing a thong! I have a picture of him!!!! I really didn't need to see that. Can't forget about the 40 year old man who weighed easy 300 wearing a spedo....he was from England..... couldn't even see the speedo. I am assuming he was wearing one, but I really never saw it.

Most American men - unless they are on the swim team, do not wear speedos and generally do not need to wear thongs....
cassandra You should not had taken apicture of a total stranger-WHY would you???????

I know on one cruise this overweight man with a major beer belly had on swim trunks not big enough and they kept sliding down under his belly and so on his back side you saw like 6 inches of his ***edited***! but unfortunately that is permanently indented into my poor brain. I did not want a picture of that-I would love to erase it from my mind.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
On one hand to say "I didn't need to see that," and on the other to say "I have a picture of him."

If someone doesn't measure up to your aesthetic standards -- ignore him/her. Don't take that person's picture.

Think about karma.
! I should have scrolled down and read your psot before I posted-you said it so well!

As to europeans-they do have their good points. I love that if they bring children with them, their children are disaplined and well behaved. amercian parents could learn a thing or two from them.

On our last cruise we had a room next to a dutch couple with a baby-yes the baby cried but whenever he did and they were on the balcony-they toook him in-I thought that was very considerate of them. I am sure he cried in the stateroom but we never heard him.

I also sat next to a german couple on the tender in Grand Cayman . They had twin four year olds who sat politely and I never heard a peep out of them. That day there were 5 ships in port, including Freedom of the Seas, the monster ship, and the tender had to wait at least 20 minutes or more to let us off-as there were a line of tenders at the dock waiting to disembark people. Most kids would have been driving you crazy in that amount of time-but not these kids!

I will take european kids over american kids any day!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
First Mate

Default Whatever you do...

do not address the topic....attack the poster!!!!!

Keep your PC attitude. The original poster is right, the decline in basic social skills is not longer a decline, but is in free fall.

OK, flail away!!!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Texasmunk I agree totally with you regarding the social skills being in a freefall. I would go a little further and say that there's many cases where they have crashed and burned already.
So, I guess we can share the flailing-- but hey-- it's not too bad--- I have been around here 6 years and outlasted a lot of flailers.
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:

cassandra You should not had taken apicture of a total stranger-WHY would you???????

I know on one cruise this overweight man with a major beer belly had on swim trunks not big enough and they kept sliding down under his belly and so on his back side you saw like 6 inches of his ***edited***! but unfortunately that is permanently indented into my poor brain. I did not want a picture of that-I would love to erase it from my mind.
I am sorry I did not know that was considered a dirty word. I was talking about the top of his "behind" was showing about 6 inches!
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:03 AM
david30101

Quote:

Think about karma.
Im all American im 44 and have a body of a 30yo Im in good shape, not hairy, and wear a speedo..However I dont wear it at the food line except mabie getting a slice of pizza near the pool. Dont start knocking speedos..I look good in one. I do agree about the "other men" you talked about..That goes for women also..
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101
Quote:

Think about karma.
Im all American im 44 and have a body of a 30yo Im in good shape, not hairy, and wear a speedo..However I dont wear it at the food line except mabie getting a slice of pizza near the pool. Dont start knocking speedos..I look good in one. I do agree about the "other men" you talked about..That goes for women also..
I am sure that YOU THINK and have convinced yourself that you look good in your speedos.
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Admiral

I must admit Rick... I do see a lack of avator or pic from someone so proud of their body,,thats a first
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Momofmeg because they put edited in there I read it quite a bit dirty compared to what you wrote.

Okay David30101 I have read a couple of posts from you and now I want to see this amazing Speedo to which you refer. The internet is a funny thing. If I didn't have the picture on the side there I could claim to be 5 feet 7 inches tall and 110 pounds. I don't have the "perfect" body. However, I still have my picture there for better or worse that's me. If you have a problem with it it's really your problem not mine. 8) So who are you really? Can you compare to Dave the Wave or is this internet beauty?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Internet beauty, what a concept. Can I please be Steven Segal or George Clooney when you relate me to my posts
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
Internet beauty, what a concept. Can I please be Steven Segal or George Clooney when you relate me to my posts
A lot of people mistake me for Brad Pitt. Since I am very shy, I find it uncomfortable when people stare at me wondering if I really am Brad. Sometimes on cruise, I wear a disguise. That is the reason that I don't have an avatar or pic on here.....causes too many problems.
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Nice chatting with you Brad and George!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Admiral

David -- I thought it was James Bond..........! 8)

Dean
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Admiral

I feel that my avator tells the story of how I look. I once tried wearing a speedo, but it kept sliding off my skull.
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

First off, the Lido buffet restuarant is considered "casual" and "informal," meaning this is where most people go when they get off the loungers and go get something to eat. I can see the restaurants at DINNER being a problem, but at breakfast or lunch, no casual is OK.

I don't like to see men or women walking around looking like they made their bathing suit out of dental floss, but you can't control how others dress.

Last January on the Victory we saw a man who looked like he was well into his 80's wearing a speedo, which was "blousing" because he was so skinny. The man was having fun, at that point, I said if he can have fun at his age, who cares if his Speedo is sagging!!!! There was also a "big mama" who looked in her 70's with a rather horrid bathing suit, but I also thought if she is healthy and can get around well, let her enjoy being in a bathing suit that is shows all the cellulte and fat...

Me, I am no skinny mini, no, but I bought a swin suit that strategically covers my problem areas and it actually looks good on me...black of course with a wee splash of blue....

European vs North American--they have different values and ideas, if they choose to do what they want, that is the way it is....as for their kids, YES, they do keep their children in line. I have to say the best behaved children are Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc).....There was a family with a little girl and that child was perfect each and everytime I saw her--she was quite a cute little girl....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have had the opportunity to travel literally all over the world. I have met people from most European countries, many South American Countries and a number of African countries. Generally, the Africans were the most polite, but very aloof. The South Americans were friendly. The Europeans were a mixed lot. The French tended to be somewhat unfriendly, the English were stand offish, except in Soho where they were very friendly. The Irish and Scotish were by far the most friendly people I have ever met. The US, my homeland, is the same as Europe, a mixed lot. Some are nice some are jerks. Others may disagree, mileage may vary.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
First off, the Lido buffet restuarant is considered "casual" and "informal," meaning this is where most people go when they get off the loungers and go get something to eat. I can see the restaurants at DINNER being a problem, but at breakfast or lunch, no casual is OK.

I don't like to see men or women walking around looking like they made their bathing suit out of dental floss, but you can't control how others dress.

Last January on the Victory we saw a man who looked like he was well into his 80's wearing a speedo, which was "blousing" because he was so skinny. The man was having fun, at that point, I said if he can have fun at his age, who cares if his Speedo is sagging!!!! There was also a "big mama" who looked in her 70's with a rather horrid bathing suit, but I also thought if she is healthy and can get around well, let her enjoy being in a bathing suit that is shows all the cellulte and fat...

Me, I am no skinny mini, no, but I bought a swin suit that strategically covers my problem areas and it actually looks good on me...black of course with a wee splash of blue....

European vs North American--they have different values and ideas, if they choose to do what they want, that is the way it is....as for their kids, YES, they do keep their children in line. I have to say the best behaved children are Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc).....There was a family with a little girl and that child was perfect each and everytime I saw her--she was quite a cute little girl....
Good post I just have to say something. Be careful saying Asian childern are well behaved there is a wide cultural difference between Asian countries like Japanese VS China and Korean VS Vietnam. Some of these countries are more passionate and some are more subdued. I would say someone from Vietnam maybe more out spoken then someone from Japan. Again these are cultural differences. No behavior is "right" or "wrong". I just find if I understand the culture I understand the person much better.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Thasic....you are now my new best friend along side my really old bud Paul B, who is so old and rich, that he now has a person to type his thoughts for him

"The Irish and Scotish were by far the most friendly people I have ever met." Yep we are, just look how friendly I am !!!

As for this statement..... "the English were stand offish, except in Soho where they were very friendly".... yeah thats because in Soho they were trying to sell you "something" Are you aware of Soho in London and what it offers?
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Old, you are spot on, David, but "rich", you must be drinkling some kind of muddy water.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
SorryValtime which ship is this we are talking about? As I can think of ten that have a "lido buffet"

there are alot more then 10 ships- Every ship, every line, I have been on, have a lido buffet restuarant. Royal Caribbean calls that their lido resturants The Windjammer but on other lines the restuarant has a differant name on every ship.

It is considered the casual dinning restuarant but you are still supposed to wear shoes and a shirt and a coverup over a swimsuit.

the only area that it is not required is the the poolside grill-but always-there are some who do not bother to coverup but insist in coming into the lido resturant without covering-even though they could eat at the grill by the pool if they do not want to cover themselves up.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Cassandra, both St. Martin on the french side and Martinique the beaches are all topless and some nude-so ther eis nothing unusal about that.

European culture is differnant from the US and people think nothing about being publicly nude-and yes many are overweight and old, so it isn't like some 20 year old guy is going to "get off" going to a nude beach-chances ae he will see no 20 year old gorgeous grils there.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Admiral

MomofMeg quote..."there are alot more then 10 ships- Every ship, every line"

So we agree, and each one with a variation on "their rules",,,not the same on all ships.

I hate the word "casual", as that can deliver every variable and with it some numb jobs that do not realise "casual" is different on other lines.

QUESTION: "What are the rules in todays cruising" because as far as my money has been spent...... there are no "rules" that follow either the line expectation or the "cruise" industries alleged "rule" in general.

Most make up the "rule" as they go along, there is no RULE. Sorry there is the "line" rule of we have got to fill cabins, thats the only rule, and fill them with anyone willing to pay

Get people on here to spend a lot of money

The only other RULES are in the expectations or minds of others towards regarding others sharing this experience and EXPECT certain things from others.

Me and now, going on a cruise is like buying a ticket for the lottery. I just pray that I bought a ticket that will present me with similar thinking / acting people

Does that matter to the lines,,,no, and not for your money, anything goes on their RULE...money in the cash register