Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2006, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default Unhappy people

Why do unhappy people always want to bring down anyone who is happy?
I see a lot of people that are miseable and they do nothing to change their lives - I'm giving random examples here:
Over weight, eat Mc'D's everyday and complain about their weight.
Don't like their wives never mind love them and won't divorce. I know what your gonna say- money & kids- let's say there is no money & no kids, no boat, no fancy cars, no grand vacations.

My point is this: Why do people refuse to change their lives if they are unhappy and expect other people to do it for them? If you know someone like this, then I am sure you can relate.

You can die tomorrow, why not try to at least be positive - maybe you can't be happy -fine, but why freak out over the things you cannot change, and freak out about the things you can change????

If you want me to bring this around to a cruise example - how about something like this? If you have coughed up the money & time to have a cruise, why not try to enjoy it? Why do you have to be miserable and make everyone around you miseable?

Am I missing something here?
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

I understand exactly what you are talking about, but I don't have any explanations for their actions. I will go WAY out of my way to avoid people like that. I find that these people are negative in all situations. I guess it is a learned behavior and simply becomes habit to look for the worst in all situations. I agree with you...... DRIVES ME CRAZY!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:12 PM
Admiral

I was that way as a young adult but found the new path. It is fun to be happy and if you can't say anything positive, then don't say anything

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM
Admiral

You must have met my dad and BF someplace!! Both are like this and it does drive me nuts at times. I have learned to just tune both of them out when they get on a rampage about something inane. I'm the opposite, I see the good in everything and everybody. Make do with bad situations and just go on with my life. What good does it do to complain and moan about every single little thing in life? My BF says he was just born like that........to complain all the time. Dad is 80 so I guess he feels he deserves to complain about things if he wants to. I am so glad I am NOT like that.

Need some cruise help?
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Unhappy people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Why do unhappy people always want to bring down anyone who is happy?
I see a lot of people that are miseable and they do nothing to change their lives - I'm giving random examples here:
Over weight, eat Mc'D's everyday and complain about their weight.
Don't like their wives never mind love them and won't divorce. I know what your gonna say- money & kids- let's say there is no money & no kids, no boat, no fancy cars, no grand vacations.

My point is this: Why do people refuse to change their lives if they are unhappy and expect other people to do it for them? If you know someone like this, then I am sure you can relate.

You can die tomorrow, why not try to at least be positive - maybe you can't be happy -fine, but why freak out over the things you cannot change, and freak out about the things you can change????

If you want me to bring this around to a cruise example - how about something like this? If you have coughed up the money & time to have a cruise, why not try to enjoy it? Why do you have to be miserable and make everyone around you miseable?

Am I missing something here?
I am not sure unahppy people want to bring others down with them. Maybe they are just looking for someone to listen to them, empathize with them. A shoulder to cry on.

If you are truly happy in yourself, then an unhappy person won't bring you down. You can give that person some kind words, etc. but you can keep your positive outlook.

I've found there are people who seems to love being miserable. It gets them attention. I am thinking of a woman I used to work with -- whenever she had bad news, she went door to door in the office to share it. She loved the feedback.

As far as people who are miserable about their weight and eat unhealthy foods, well, that is a cycle they need to break. They don't like to be overweight, they are miserable, and to comfort themselves in their misery, they eat! They have to find the strength in themselves to break the cycle and take positive steps toward weight loss and eating healthy.

Don't forget, there are people prone to depression, and they may have all the money, talent, good looks, etc. in the world, and they are still miserable.
And there are people with poor self-esteem, for whatever reason, who also are unhappy.

In my view, the best thing you can do is find your own happiness and not worry about other people.
But be there for empathy if they need it.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:37 AM
Admiral

What you are describing to me are people that are severely depressed. they need help but they must recognize this themselves.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
Yeoman

Cassandra nice to meet you, as I have never met anyone before that had such a life, and one so perfect that they had nothing to complain about in it.

Nice one, now I've met that always "happy" person.

Can I ask a question how many times have you changed your life, to maintain your happinness?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
Yeoman

I missed that wit!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Cassandra nice to meet you, as I have never met anyone before that had such a life, and one so perfect that they had nothing to complain about in it.

Nice one, now I've met that always "happy" person.

Can I ask a question how many times have you changed your life, to maintain your happinness?
!!!!! so true and Fruitcake is right- depressed people only depress other people prone to depression.

Cassandra I suggest you not read certain posts if you feel certain people bring you down. It is simple, after awhile you recognize their sign onname-just skip over their posts. It may also be good that you talk to your doctor.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
First Mate

Default as it relates to cruises

So many folks live a daily life of scratch and bite that when they go on vacation, they are so ingrained, they can't help it!

We have probably all met the guy at dinner on a ship that no matter what anyone says, he has done it bigger or getter, no matter what the food offerings, they are inferior, etc.etc.etc.

My personal favorite is the guy shopping to see how good a "deal" you got for your cabin. When you run into him, find out where he is , always tell him you are one deck higher and paid $299.00 per person for the ten day cruise.

Makes them nuts!!!
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: as it relates to cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmunk
So many folks live a daily life of scratch and bite that when they go on vacation, they are so ingrained, they can't help it!

We have probably all met the guy at dinner on a ship that no matter what anyone says, he has done it bigger or getter, no matter what the food offerings, they are inferior, etc.etc.etc.

My personal favorite is the guy shopping to see how good a "deal" you got for your cabin. When you run into him, find out where he is , always tell him you are one deck higher and paid $299.00 per person for the ten day cruise.

Makes them nuts!!!
I made that mistake once-never again.

It turns out this woman was one deck lower then me and in an inside cabin and I was in an ocean view and she paid $200 more! One mad lady! I told her well maybe it was because we had booked only 3 months before when a sale was run and she said even more angry that she booked 9 months ahead and should have got a better price if the price was lowered. I told her to talk to her TA.!

I decided I would never again answer that question! We all have to learn I guess-now the price I paid is right up there with religion and politics. I don't discuss it.
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:41 PM
kookylabooka

we all know the saying - "misery loves company "