Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Admiral

Default Bahamas, San Juan, St Thomas, & Grand Turk = Exotic??

This news report was on CM News Page:

Quote:
Carnival Triumph on new Exotic Itinerary
Carnival Cruise Lines' 2,758-passenger Carnival Triumph will operate a unique new four-port seven-day "Exotic Eastern Caribbean" itinerary from Miami beginning April 2007 that features stops at Half Moon Cay, a stunning Bahamian private island; San Juan, Puerto Rico, known for its rich cultural heritage and fascinating historical sites; St. Thomas, U.S.V.I., whose postcard perfect beaches, gorgeous mountain terrain and endless shopping make it a venerable favorite; and Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands, the Caribbean's newest port of call, offering world-renowned snorkeling, diving and beaches.
Would you consider the Bahamas, San Juan, St Thomas, and Grand Turk to comprise an "Exotic" itinerary? When I first saw the headline, I thought they were heading to the Far East or Australia. Then, when it said "Exotic Eastern Caribbean" I thought they would mention Nevis, St Barts, St Kitts, Montserrat, etc. I think someone at Carnival needs to learn the definition of exotic.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Admiral

It' s marketing. If you've always lived in Tennessee or Iowa or anywhere mid-America and never been to an island then these places could be considered exotic to them.

There is a large population in this country who've never seen an ocean.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Yeoman

Hey Marc, right now here in Scotland with Gale force winds, rain, sleet and dropping temperatures, so all those right for me are exotic

But exotic is only what exotic is...and in my defination its a new "different" experience for some folks. So lets call it "potentially" exotic, depending what makes you happy for having payed your bucks to be there.

If as cruisers you know the game and been round the cruising block a few times, then you pick your own "exotic".

But I would never take away the first time I hit a Carib island, that for me then was "exotic" ad special and it will be for others
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Hey Marc, right now here in Scotland with Gale force winds, rain, sleet and dropping temperatures, so all those right for me are exotic

But exotic is only what exotic is...and in my defination its a new "different" experience for some folks. So lets call it "potentially" exotic, depending what makes you happy for having payed your bucks to be there.

If as cruisers you know the game and been round the cruising block a few times, then you pick your own "exotic".

But I would never take away the first time I hit a Carib island, that for me then was "exotic" ad special and it will be for others
I also thought anything was exotic when I first cruise-now I am sick of Nassau and cozumel.

I will say this. St. thomas, San Juan and Grand Cayman are about the only islands I am really interested in visiting. I have not been to Turk and Caicos so I would like to go there.
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:23 PM
First Mate

According to Websters: Exotic - foreign; not native.

Marc, your case is dismissed.
Old November 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Yeoman

Maybe, but he has a valid point and momofmeg took it up, in my reality you can only do these ports so many times and it can get more boring, than "exotic".

That to me just says that you are happy on ship and it's experience and the ports are a "whatever" for that vaation, you could be anywhere, you just want the ship.

But not for us, and that is why we have taken two years out in the past, just to save money, pick something different and get excited about where we are going, instead of cheaper and a "here we are again" scenario, but we are on a ship.

Hey I know people that have sailed the carib islands all their life and 30+ cruises, its their thing and happy. Can I convince them to come to Europe,,,no , they are happy with their vacation style
Old November 20th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've been to all of those ports either via cruise or land vacation. I wouldn't consider these stops to be exotic. Commercial yes.

Exotic to me is unreachable by most especially in a 90 plus ton cruise liner. But I'd take any of them over nothing at all.
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff
According to Websters: Exotic - foreign; not native.

Marc, your case is dismissed.
If you think anything foreign is exotic (oh, you have a lot of the world yet to see), how about the words "new" and "unique?" Would you consider these ports new and unique?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Familiar Face

I have visted all of these ports of call and by no means are they exotic. Half Moon Cay is Holland Americas "private island". Though it is very nice and in my opinion nicer than Princess cruiselines Princess Cays or Royal Caribbeans Labadee, I would not call it exotic. As for San Juan, that port of call needs to be dropped all together.
Thomas is right, it's all about marketing. You make something sound a 100 times better than it is and someone who doesn't know any better will buy it.
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Old November 25th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Maybe, but he has a valid point and momofmeg took it up, in my reality you can only do these ports so many times and it can get more boring, than "exotic".

That to me just says that you are happy on ship and it's experience and the ports are a "whatever" for that vaation, you could be anywhere, you just want the ship.

But not for us, and that is why we have taken two years out in the past, just to save money, pick something different and get excited about where we are going, instead of cheaper and a "here we are again" scenario, but we are on a ship.

Hey I know people that have sailed the carib islands all their life and 30+ cruises, its their thing and happy. Can I convince them to come to Europe,,,no , they are happy with their vacation style
Yes David that is my problem. I love cruising but I have been to those ports too many times-but I loved them the first time I cruised to them!

As you said, to get more exotic locations ,either you need to fly somewhere like San Jaun to board or else go on a much longer cruise then 7 day and ofcourse this costs more. But as you said,after a while we decide it is worth it to spend more.

Our last cruise we went to Jamaca and beleive it or not as this was cruise # 12 and ten of which have been in the caribbean-we had never been to that island. MAJOR disapointment-those guys are out to fleece you and make as much money as they can off you-much worse then Cozumel or Nassau which is why I don't like those ports.
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:50 AM
First Mate

MArc, I am not disagreeing with you. You stated that Carnival needs to learn the definition of exotic, I merely provided it to you. Not everyone who cruises has been to "exotic" ports the way you have. I for one, do need to travel more but the price dictates the amount of "exotic" I can visit.[/quote]