Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Default Are some people going a little too far?

I found a website today that carried a number of videos showing passengers, mainly underage teens getting falling down drunk. I guess its no sunrise to any of us that these things do happen, but some of the footage shows kids jumping from decks as well as other unbelievable antics. There were even two videos of security officers having deal with a number of drunken teens. If any one wants to look at the videos you can find them on cruise junkie.com I am not advocating the website but am worried that the cruise lines are not able to stop some of the violence and over drinking that goes on aboard their ships. My wife and I have seen a number of incidents in the eleven years since we began cruising but it certainly looks like it is getting worse. What happened to the old days when people knew how to act in public? What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Admiral

I think they should throw the kids and their parents in the brig. Lacking that, let them off at the next port and let them fend for themselves.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Admiral

Stac2006,

So how many cans of worms do you want to open? I mean, you’ve covered the spectrum of poor behaviour.

So let’s see here………

Drunken antics on short cruises. Teenagers running wild. T-shirts in the dining room. Loud parties next-door.

The times have changed. And not necessarily for the better……

My advice to you is to avoid this mayhem when you can. Choose longer cruises, more expensive cruises, and not on Carnival whenever possible.

If you can’t change the poor behaviour, perhaps you can avoid it. Not the ideal solution, but perhaps the pragmatic one.

Good luck,

Dean
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just took a quick look at the site you listed. It appears to only list negative reports. If you put up a site with everything negative about Disney, poor Mickey would be pretty lonely. I went on a carnival cruise last year, and didn't see that much bad behavior. If you go on a cruise looking for it, I'm sure you will find it, but I go on a cruise to relax and have fun, not rate my fellow passengers. I was more annoyed by the CD hawking bingo and gold sales then I was by any of the passengers. People are on vacation, they will get drunk, same as any resort. If you can't handle it, maybe you should vacation in the Middle East, were alcohol is more restricted. PS. Don't forget your burka.
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
I just took a quick look at the site you listed. It appears to only list negative reports. If you put up a site with everything negative about Disney, poor Mickey would be pretty lonely. I went on a carnival cruise last year, and didn't see that much bad behavior. If you go on a cruise looking for it, I'm sure you will find it, but I go on a cruise to relax and have fun, not rate my fellow passengers. I was more annoyed by the CD hawking bingo and gold sales then I was by any of the passengers. People are on vacation, they will get drunk, same as any resort. If you can't handle it, maybe you should vacation in the Middle East, were alcohol is more restricted. PS. Don't forget your burka.

What disturbs me is the 'final' sentence..."If you can't handle it, maybe you should vacation in the Middle East..."

In other words, this type of drunken teen behavior reflects the ‘American way’?

And if by chance, I find this troubling, I certainly should not comment on it because that would be....intolerant?

BUT to prove how tolerant I really am, to show my nobility, that I'm a real 'team player'....I should cover my eyes AND my moral values!

Their conduct can offend me...but how dare I OFFEND THEM!
Old November 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye

What disturbs me is the 'final' sentence..."If you can't handle it, maybe you should vacation in the Middle East..."

In other words, this type of drunken teen behavior reflects the ‘American way’?

And if by chance, I find this troubling, I certainly should not comment on it because that would be....intolerant?

BUT to prove how tolerant I really am, to show my nobility, that I'm a real 'team player'....I should cover my eyes AND my moral values!

Their conduct can offend me...but how dare I OFFEND THEM!
I don't Condon teen drinking, and certainly don't allow my own teen daughters too drink. Also, not everyone on the ship is American, I myself am Canadian. I did not coin the phrase "American Way" in this topic, you did. Many European countries have less restrictive liquor laws than the US does. With the freedom to drink, comes the responsibility to drink responsibly, however not everyone drinking is responsible enough to do so. My suggestion is that if you want to avoid people drinking, then go some place were they do not have the freedom to drink. I don't let the actions of other's spoil my fun, unless they get in my face. Live and let live
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Ah....your comments are clarified...

I didn't understand where you were going with your first post...sorry...I was on a 'train' in another direction.
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Was that the video from Crown Princess-they called it a brownie fight or soemthing like that?

I dio find it disturbing and felt something more should have been done but I am not holding that agaist Princess.
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Admiral

We have been down the "teen drinking" road before in a previous post of long ago... It should be taken care of appropriately.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Passenger

I guess what most concerns me is not just the drunkeness but the the crazy behavior that leads to someone getting hurt . I don't blame the cruise lines for the behavior of some bad apples. Too be honest I would not want to be a security officer dealing with out of control passengers. I don't think people go looking for this type of behavior while on a cruise vacation any more than they want to find themselves the victim of a car accident. It just happens to many good passengers who just want to relax while on vacation. We do have to be watchful and let the cruise companies know what we think. Too many people have done some really foolish things while under the influence and it has to be addressed. This thread might me old but the problem still exist.
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Admiral

The topic and thread might be old to some of the veteran posters...

BUT if it encourages readers to get involved in a discussion at home with friends and family regarding the problem...and maybe even go a step further and post how they feel...then certainly the subject is not 'stale'!
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel

Okay I feel I have to give my two cents in on this topic. I thought the drinking age on cruise ships is 21??? How did these teens get access to alcohol? Where is the parent supervision? I know when I took my kids on their first cruise, mind you they are too young to drink, but I gave them some space but not to the amount that they could just run amuck and act like fools!
I think the original poster has fair claim to speak how he feels about such foolishness. I go on vacation to have a relaxing and enjoyable time too, I paid for it. I have witnessed kids running wild and having fun...good for them they are on vacation too. But when alcohol is involved, that is a totally different subject, and quite frankly it needs to be adressed and dealt with. Bad things happen and teens sometimes forget that they are out in the middle of nowhere....I wouldnt want to imagine such things but they happen.
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Admiral

The cruise lines have tightened up the restrictions on under age drinking. Not enough, perhaps, but I can remember when they would serve anyone, even fairly young kids who claimed to be getting a drink for dad, or whatever. Now, at least they refuse to serve those under their drinking age, usually 21.
Marty
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
The topic and thread might be old to some of the veteran posters...

BUT if it encourages readers to get involved in a discussion at home with friends and family regarding the problem...and maybe even go a step further and post how they feel...then certainly the subject is not 'stale'!
I agree ...
There are only so many cruise-related topics to begin with.
We all know the ones that come up routinely -- jeans in the dining room, smuggling liquor, chair hogs, etc. etc.
But there are always newbies, too, who can benefit from these discussions.

If I were new to cruising, I'd want some interaction on the board and would not want to spend my time searching the archives.
I prefer to be among the living!
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HGeffen
Default wow

goodness! I agree with you, Angel. It's disturbing to me. I believe the drinking age on Royal Carribean cruises is 18. So, Bare in mind that the excessive drinking and rude behavior I would assume, would be from young college students (18 to 22 years old). I am going on my first cruise on March 4th. I am worried about the spring-breakers. While I fall in that age range, I don't drink and I am much more resevered. I'm warey about paying all the money to see drunk kids stumbling over each other.

Also, Carnival cruise has a strict age policy. All passengers must be 21+ years old, and if not, they must be accompanied by an adult who is 25+ years old. My thoughts are that this restriction was put in place specifically to keep the college spring breakers away. Even though this means I cannot go on a Carnival cruise, I think it's a really good idea.
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Yeoman

So how about someone here in the UK, that can get married at sixteen, go fight in Iraq at seventeen and vote Tony in at eighteen (that bits wrong, the age I mean it should be 16 to vote).

But the "rules" say that they cant go on a ship for their honeymoon. You may think so, but they do and it happens every week on American cruise lines, including the Carib.

The fact they legally cant drink (18 or 21), well again thats down to the individual bar person's attention span regarding who they are serving and we all know how good that is 8)
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Passenger

They make exceptions for married couples.
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Yeoman

So agreed the whole age thing is B'locks. Jeez on your side of the pond by the time someone gets to 21 they must be so mixed up as an adult and before they can legally get a drink, and getting the first "legal" one must make them even more mixed up

Be honest in todays world asking anyone to wait "legally" until they are 21 for anything is just stupid. It just puts the problem underground and hidden and actually just makes it more of a game to beat the system.

But as you agree "They make exceptions for married couples.", so that just makes a mockery of what is trying to be achieved here with the rule and based on a stupid rule, that you or others have ignored or tried to bypass through your under 21 status.

Okay I respect American law, but at what age can you legally own a gun?

I will quote this

"An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state"

So at 18 you can buy a gun, but have to wait three years to buy a drink

Where you have you guys got this all mixed up?
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Passenger

I agree with you about the drinking age. When I think about it, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But, like I said, the age limit on cruises has been set to keep the partying college students away (or so I have assumed). I suppose anyone can let their drinking get out of hand, and it's not just limited to college students. It does limit those people who are responsible. My boyfriend is 21, and I am 19. Neither one of us drink.

I wonder if the age restrictions have made a change on Carnival cruises.
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Admiral

David,

Whoa, Nelly!

You have acquired, somewhere along the way, an impression of we North Americans. We’re a mixed up bunch of gun-toting, under-aged drinking hooligans, putting our unwashed, unashamed ways upon the rest of the civilized world!

We’ve made that impression, I’m afraid, and as such, we accept responsibility for that impression.

But as an unwashed, North American hooligan, I can tell you a few things. Not the least of which, is that I appreciate very much a bottle of 18-year-old Glenmorangie single malt Scotch. Every time I enjoy a bit of this fine Scotch, I raise my glass in your honour.

And you may be right – we may have much to learn. But we are learning…….

We’re a young nation, but we have achieved a few things in our time. Not one nation on this Earth can defeat us in combat, we have landed men on the Moon and returned them safely to Earth, and we aspire to those notions truest and best in humanity.

And we’ve reached out our hands to our brothers across the pond. Are you willing to take our hand in friendship?

And I take umbrage with the “vote Tony? comment. As a North American, I’ve found Tony Blair to be a decent and honourable person. One too quick to side with the U.S. perhaps, but an honourable leader nonetheless.

I have, at the same time, found you to be an honest and honourable person, one whom I would share a glass of Scotch with the next time I visit your fine nation.

Whichever side of the Atlantic we’re on, we seem to be rowing in the same direction. And with any luck, we’ll all arrive at the same destination.

Dean
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Yeoman

, thats all, you take care. As for dear Tony, well he's better than what may be around the corner from the opposition if they got in, and he concerns me even more.

Respect