Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

View Poll Results: Has reading Gripes made you think again?
Yes 9 33.33%
No 18 66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Admiral

I totally don't get the use of the word "victory" here. This is neither a war nor a game.
I really think that the concept that people win or lose an informal debate is the source of a lot of the friction that crops up here periodically. Exchanging opposing or just different points of view is, to me, a way to stretch the old bean and maybe learn something...even just the glimmer of a new point of view.
Marty
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I totally don't get the use of the word "victory" here. This is neither a war nor a game.
I really think that the concept that people win or lose an informal debate is the source of a lot of the friction that crops up here periodically. Exchanging opposing or just different points of view is, to me, a way to stretch the old bean and maybe learn something...even just the glimmer of a new point of view.
Marty
I used the word "victory" in regards to debating.

Friction crops up when a person takes the gripe or debate about a gripe personally and resorts to name calling and insults. This is a sign that that person cannot intelligently respond to a statement. In fact, when this tactic is used, it is a sign that you are losing your case. People need to learn that sometimes they aren't right. They need to learn to say I am sorry. If someone takes your post out of context you should correct yourself. I took Marc's post as an attacking statement, he explained and I said I understand, case closed. A lesser person would attack right back which is wrong.
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Yeoman

, leaving this in good hands for now 8)

But for all you guessed me right Rescuedad, you got the ego thing wrong, never ever posted for the sake of attention or ego.

I need to get away for health reasons and it has been going on for a while. so as for my previous threats to leave....well never easy when its something you have loved for x years, to just walk away. And as for Victory...in your dreams 8)

Rescuedad, your okay, keep kicking this lot into debate until I get back.

And if you think this is a call for attention, then your a mug, get on with it and talk about someone else 8)

Whatever you thought I mistakenly had,,,,, is now yours, go with it. Drive it on

Donna, could one of the guys now bar my ID until I get back intouch, it will save me being tempted, thanks
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Marty
Very good insight.
I have to agree -- the idea of *winning* a debate does cause a lot of friction on these [and other] boards.
Since when is an opinion right or wrong?

I may think chaise hogs are the most awful people in the world.
Others may not be bothered by them at all.
Both are opinions ... and most likely we will not change our opinions, despite what others post on these boards.
I like to discuss opinions and react to others' opinions.
I don't feel the need to overpower others and force my views down their throats!
Old December 27th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Yeoman

Old December 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Yeoman

David ---> Be good!

Or is it David B Gone for now?