Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

View Poll Results: Has reading Gripes made you think again?
Yes 9 33.33%
No 18 66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Yeoman

Default Gripes Poll question

Well has it, by reading or contributing to Gripes has it made you think again regarding your view on "things"? And after reading what others say in reply? Honestly, it has for me, has it for you?
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Hi DBG,

No, it hasn't changed my mind about "things". I find the "Gripes" section to generally be entertainment, not gospel! That's not to say I don't enjoy it, it's just not something I take very seriously. I'd say 99% of the "gripes" are about things that could have been easily solved with a little effort or research.

I get more info. out of the "Reader Reviews" section.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Admiral

I can't say that my opinion had ever been changed, but the posts do make me ponder different viewpoints. These are just opinions, and well, everybody has an opinion. Some I agree with, some I don't. Its interesting how strongly some people feel about situations that I just shrug my shoulders at. My thought is usually "who cares!" But obviously, the original poster cared!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Admiral

I think the Gripes Board has moved away from its stated purpose. Now, it is used as just another Chit Chat Board. I think CruiseMates should start a policy used on some of the FlyerTalk Boards by limiting the Gripes board to only those with a certain number of posts as an indication that they are participating on the other boards first and foremost.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Yeoman

eh, actually I cant find words to describe what I feel right now...and maybe just as well.

But I will say this, Gripes is Gripes and by far moves outwith the "hello I went to the supermarket today "Chit Chat threads"...no disrespect to those that do it, just not my thing.

Plus CM lead other boards, they dont take direction as they already have a balance in all the places people can go to in my opinion for whatever they want to get out of it.

There is some hard social stuff on here that would never appear on other threads, and it may seem mixed up and with no direction...But hey ho...thats gripes
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I think the Gripes Board has moved away from its stated purpose. Now, it is used as just another Chit Chat Board. I think CruiseMates should start a policy used on some of the FlyerTalk Boards by limiting the Gripes board to only those with a certain number of posts as an indication that they are participating on the other boards first and foremost.
What????
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Ihave read a gripe and changed my mind about the way I saw things. I think it helps to get a different view point.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
I don't think this has become a chit chat board at all.

People *hang around* different areas of message boards. Some like to linger in the general chit chat area. Others tend to visit specific cruise line boards. Some share their thoughts on destinations or on the styles at sea boards.

Others criss-cross from one board to another.
Some areas tend to get a little cliquey too ...

I enjoy the gripes board because it can get a little feisty at times. It makes me think. It's fun.

Many threads start out as gripes but evolve -- as threads tend to do -- into other topics of discussion. It's the nature of conversation.

I would hate to see some capricious policy put in place to limit our freedom to post on the gripes board.
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Quote:
I don't think this has become a chit chat board at all.

People *hang around* different areas of message boards. Some like to linger in the general chit chat area. Others tend to visit specific cruise line boards. Some share their thoughts on destinations or on the styles at sea boards.

Others criss-cross from one board to another.

Some areas tend to get a little cliquey too ...

I enjoy the gripes board because it can get a little feisty at times. It makes me think. It's fun.

Many threads start out as gripes but evolve -- as threads tend to do -- into other topics of discussion. It's the nature of conversation.

I would hate to see some capricious policy put in place to limit our freedom to post on the gripes board.
Welcome back Fruitcake...and AMEN!
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Admiral

I agree that the idea of limiting participation on Cruise Gripes board is going too far. However, I still stand by my point that the Cruise Gripes board has changed over the years; and not for the better. How many "honey I'm home" threads, or similar ones, do we need. Cruise Gripes board used to be filled with gripes about Cruising. Now, many of the threads have nothing to do with cruising at all.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old December 21st, 2006, 04:47 PM
Yeoman

Sorry Marc and having read what you said I went back and read the "top" page on Gripes and I cannot find anything (well one) that was nearly related to "honey I'm home" and that was only a maybe with nearly nil response.

Sorry, I dont get this view on today's Gripes as being that. But yes I will agree that in days gone past the variety of threads and the volume of people may have been higher, but back then, we also had the shame of "discussion" going on regarding "Fat people" "Old People" etc.

They where only vehicles for venom spitters, thank God they are gone.

If there is a problem here today, it is that some people react only to others postings and dont post new threads based on the misgivings or personal thoughts regarding cruising that are in their own head's.

And this is not an attack Marc, but like me you can be very vocal, but even you on here in the last three months have only started two threads, one an attack on CM policy and the other a "cut and paste" quote regarding islands in the carib.

If people only do that, then you get what is available to gripe about

Thats not the boards fault, quality of input.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Yeoman

I think, as a topic, "gripes" tends to be limited.
It's a lot of the same stuff, different cruise.
Chair hogs, people cutting in line, people saving seats in the show theaters, etc.

But this community of gripers, of which I've become a part, wants to interact, and thus we have the diverging conversations.

And don't forget -- there's always one or two people who show up and chastise people for griping in the first place! Even though this is the *sanctioned* gripe board, we'll be told that the worst day on a ship is waaaaaaaay better than the best day at work .. ."So STOP YOUR GRIPING."

I just started a new thread regarding misbehavior of fellow pax because it was the first time, in all my cruises, that I witnessed some terribly obnoxious behavior toward a crew member.

I am sure that topic has been addressed over and over on this board, but for me it was a totally new experience.

I came to this board from another one, where there was just too much controversy, too much censorship, too much one-upsmanship.

I like it here. And I really enjoy this gripes board.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM
Admiral

This is a gripes thread? I thought it was a "grip" board <joking>

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
Yeoman

Some of us need to get a grip, that's true!
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Ooooh..I like it. Let's change the name to "Get a Grip". What all of us really should do, anyway!
Ho Ho Ho, etc.
Marty
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I agree that the idea of limiting participation on Cruise Gripes board is going too far. However, I still stand by my point that the Cruise Gripes board has changed over the years; and not for the better. How many "honey I'm home" threads, or similar ones, do we need. Cruise Gripes board used to be filled with gripes about Cruising. Now, many of the threads have nothing to do with cruising at all.
Marc, The original "Honey I'm home" thread started with my original thread "It's Official" on the Carnival board. It started when I discussed how my co workers were being driven nuts by my constant talk about my first cruise. This thread involved into a core of people with a similiar personality and yes we have formed a clique that anyone is allowed to join and is welcome. Mike, sensing the thread was going way off topic, moved it to the "chit chat" area. which is basically an area people can meet and say what is on their mind. It doesn't say it has to be about cruising all the time or at all but we do frequently discuss upcoming cruises. I would like to say that when I post on other boards or topics I stick to the topic or answer any question I can with my limited cruising knowledge. I believe I have helped some people with regards to travling to Florida to cruise since I live near 2 ports.

I think it is only natural that with the thousands of posters here that cliques will form and have formed. Some things on the boards interest me and others don't. A suggestion might be to start a new category like maybe "friends" to go along with "practical advice" "people" etc. I personally am a lurker in a number of threads that I see other cliques posting on and some are interesting to read, our's tends to be more humorous and hopefully put a few smiles on peoples faces.

Since you made mention of our thread you must be a reader and I hope somewhere along the line you got a laugh. It isn't in many places that I can call 5-10 people I have never met my "good friends" and already know that I would love nothing more than to have them all as my neighbors cause I feel life wiould be one big party. I hope you find this in your life if you already haven't and I have cruisemates to thank for that.

Regarding your gripe about gripes. I do realize the boards had rules but I didn't realize that it didn't come with a certain amount of tolerance for free speech and free thought. It is not up to anyone to decide what gripe or where the discussion on that gripe goes off to. I have read many of Davids gripe topics( as dumb as some of them are, just kidding dave) and discussions and have even gotten into it with him on a few. But, if a particular gripe doesn't interest me I would never deny the people who are enjoying it the right to enjoy it. I would just move on to the next topic. Food for thought. Happy holidays!
Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Admiral

rescuedad, I have nothing against the "honey I'm home" threads. When Mike first moved it to ChitChat, I looked once. As you said, you have a group of friends that you like to chit chat with; that is what the chit chat board is about. My comment was just that the gripes board now seems to get a few of the same "type" of threads.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Admiral

I understand.
Old December 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Yeoman

Well I don't, and ignore my earlier comment if you wish, but it still stands as you only get out of it, what you put in.

What should you expect in the first place, if you dont present subject's to discuss or take part in the discussion!

If you do not fully take part then why should you be entitled or have the right to "critisise" either the topic or the people that do contribute,,,sorry dont get that.

We are HUMAN and relationships will build,, even on the board from hell .

So we go off "the Gripe". talk, chat, and make it lighter sometimes,,,,whats your problem

The world of "GRIPE" is not going to end because of it, but if you want to go pure hard gripe, lets go, lets discuss something you feel is worth GRIPING.

You have given the negative, come on Marc, give us your GRIPES positive and put us straight. Go on, give us your direction on topic that we already missed
Old December 24th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Admiral

David, I have not had a gripe with respect to my last ten plus cruises. I read others' gripes as an insight to other's "bad" experiences on cruises.

F Scott Fitzgerald

Old December 25th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Admiral

David, first off, happy holidays. I have read many of your boards and participated in some. I am not so sure that it griping you like as much as a good debate.

Marc, if you follow some of Davids threads you will notice,as it seems to me, that Davids gripe threads turn into debates. Nothing wrong with it that I can see. If people want to match wits with him than fine. Nothing better to keep conversation going than someone playing "devils advocate" and David does that well.

David I hope we never cruise together cause I have a feeling you and I would be holed up somewhere the whole cruise debating each other. How stupid is it to have 2 people, who love to play devils advocate, in a conversation together!
Old December 25th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Yeoman

Marc, fine, great, and accepted on your part, but come on bud, it does not allow for ripping some folks because its what they do or know

Rescuedad, I'll just go with your first paragraph "I am not so sure that it griping you like as much as a good debate".

Hells bells, after all these years..... someone has uncovered me at last and got it!!!!!.... .... respect to both of you and have a great holiday time.

As for dont cruise with me, well I see where you are coming from I would not cruise with me

But personally I would welcome both of you anytime......it's just great to talk 8)

I JUST LOVE DEBATE......you got me, no real opinion of my own, I feel I just open the door for others comment even further. That's it with me, nothing more. nothing less. Just banter and talk

God, you sussed me . My "self given" role is question, and question again what I read, especially if there is another side to what some say as a "FACT" topic or response.

Its a hard job and it got me barred at least twice, but hey if it was DavyB, DavidB or me now as this character...sorry its what you get from me.

Tried to change from peer pressure, but I cant change this big mouth when I ask people to look at the other side of the coin.....and to be honest I'm getting really tired of it, time maybe to just let the board evolve without my "opinion".
Old December 25th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Admiral

David,

You are these boards. Don't go anywhere. I like you!!!

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old December 26th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Admiral

David,
NO! NO! Don't go. Even the evolution of discussions needs a push now and then. We need you.
Marty
Old December 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Yeoman

I agree with what Marty said!

We all have our favorite areas of the boards, and this is one *common* area that brings many of us together.

We need this board to remain the way it is ... and we need all of the regulars, as well as any and all newbies.

Everyone's voice should be heard.
Old December 26th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Admiral

We don't all have to agree ALL the time to have a good conversation.

What makes a good conversation, community or party even...is a good mix of different personalities with a variety of viewpoints and opinions. Good conversation based on this type of personality mix, can stretch our mental muscles and imagination. It can coach us into denial, or ease us into a change of viewpoint...but it rarely leaves us untouched.

Now...I have to admit I haven't started many threads...and I should think about doing that...but other than that..I thought most of the posters on the Gripe board happy with the way things are.
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Admiral

David, since I have been following the gripes board you have threatened to quit 3 times. I have spent a while trying to figure you out and just when I think I do you throw me a curve ball. But now I got it!

You just love the attention from the women! Everytime you have threatened to quit they come on begging you to stay. They compliment you, your dapper james bond looks and your wit and you revel in it and you do all this with no intention of quitting because as I said before I believe you are in search of the ultimate debate! and you haven't found it yet.

Hmmm but it seems you always threaten to quit after 1 person attacks you for your comments on the board even though many support your involvement and commentary. This shocks me!

If you have read any of my banter on some threads particularly "honey I'm Home" you will see I stir the pot. I do this because I find it mentally challenging to go up against or debate many people with a similiar opposite view than mine and come out victorious. I say this because if you find one person attacking you, that relays to me that they cannot match wits with you. The only way they can win is by attempting to demoralize you thus I feel victory to you. This of course is a victory for them everytime you threaten to quit. So why would a person who loves a mental challenge such as yourself allow this to happen.

Ok ok I will feed your ego. I would love nothing more than for you and I to grab a good cigar and a good scotch and sit at the bar on a ship and debate on anything and everything all day. So if you quit I will be forced to abandon the "Gripes board" because basically many gripes on here are whining, but not yours.
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Rescue,

Did you just call me a David "Groupie"

What we have here are two "Pot stirrers" Both of you are good at it.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old December 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuedad
David, since I have been following the gripes board you have threatened to quit 3 times. I have spent a while trying to figure you out and just when I think I do you throw me a curve ball. But now I got it!

You just love the attention from the women! Everytime you have threatened to quit they come on begging you to stay. They compliment you, your dapper james bond looks and your wit and you revel in it and you do all this with no intention of quitting because as I said before I believe you are in search of the ultimate debate! and you haven't found it yet.
I think you're taking some of this too seriously.
A lot of the flattery is tongue-in-cheek ...

Quote:
If you have read any of my banter on some threads particularly "honey I'm Home" you will see I stir the pot. I do this because I find it mentally challenging to go up against or debate many people with a similiar opposite view than mine and come out victorious.
Some would call this a bully, not a pot-stirrer.
You comment on DBG's ego -- but what about your own? Isn't it pretty egotistical to stir the pot just so you can savor the feeling of victory?
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I think you're taking some of this too seriously.
A lot of the flattery is tongue-in-cheek ...
Whatever keeps him on the boards! Bottom line is that most of his posts are an interesting read and I enjoy bantering with him. I find it ridiculous that he would succumb to the people who do not like or enjoy his posts rather than the ones who do.

Quote:
Some would call this a bully, not a pot-stirrer.
You comment on DBG's ego -- but what about your own? Isn't it pretty egotistical to stir the pot just so you can savor the feeling of victory?
Poor choice of words of use "victory". Better put, I would say I enjoy the mental challenge as any person who enjoys a debate does. It is a measure of yourself when you can debate and draw people to your point of view and this is not done by bullying. I think DBG would agree.

Mentally challenging yourself is what keeps your mind from going in old age. I see many seniors at my job who have become total vegetables (for lack of a better word) because all they do is sit in front of a TV all day and night instead of challenging themselves, mentally, to keep their minds sharp. This has gone way off topic. I would just like to see DBG stick around.