Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Captain

Well, I think there is a consensus here that having the services of a professional photographer available on a cruise is not the problem. The problem is when the lines station these photographers so as to block foot traffic, and they thereby create lines and congestion. And there is a solution, and I hope the lines are reading boards like this.

Thanks,
Richard
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:40 PM
First Mate

I find this gripe legit.. Funny thing is, I'm a photographer and I find most of the "Pro" Photographers onboard gawking at my "travel" camera because it's bigger and better than theirs.

These guys on the ships are not Pros, and for the most part they are just pointing and shooting. I must admit, I stop for a photo by the cruiseline but only if it's quick. I'm in too much of a rush to run out and take my own...
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
I find this gripe legit.. Funny thing is, I'm a photographer and I find most of the "Pro" Photographers onboard gawking at my "travel" camera because it's bigger and better than theirs.

These guys on the ships are not Pros, and for the most part they are just pointing and shooting. I must admit, I stop for a photo by the cruiseline but only if it's quick. I'm in too much of a rush to run out and take my own...
EMG do you agree with the take tons of pics theory? My point was that I did not feel it took that much time and unless your all rigged up like you may be to take group photos that includes yourself in them a cruise photog might catch a picture you like! for the extra few minutes it took.
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:57 PM
First Mate

Hi Rescuedad,

Being a photographer I, personally do not need to take tons of pics. I pretty much see an image before I ever take it. Here is a link to the pics that I posted on this site from my Mexico cruise in March of '06 ( http://cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2746 ), have a look at those and enjoy..

I let Carnvial take pictures when we get off the ship at ports because I'm not trying to setup a tripod or interrupt someone else who is trying to enjoy their vacation by stopping them and asking them to take the pic. I think the backdrops that they have on deck are rather cheesy so I never stop for those.

For capturing memories of your vacation, the cruiseline photogs do a good job..
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

We usually cooperate with the photographers, but sometimes bypass the picture taking when it suits us. The more pictures they take, the better chance of getting a good one. We buy one or two pictures per cruise. Never more than two.
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:57 AM
First Mate

What I find really funny is that I'm going to assume all the cruiseline cameras are digital but you still see shots with peoples eyes closed or half cocked.. lol.. That's the funniest because there is really no reason for the images to look that way.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
What I find really funny is that I'm going to assume all the cruiseline cameras are digital but you still see shots with peoples eyes closed or half cocked.. lol.. That's the funniest because there is really no reason for the images to look that way.
This comes back to the fact that they are trying to photograph 2000 people as quick as possible.
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Beginner

We have had both good and bad experiences with photographers. Most of our formal pictures have been taken on cruises -- we never dress up at home like we have for formal nights, so those pictures are special to us. I rarely like any pictures of myself, but we have found patient photographers on some cruises who are very good at what they do, and thus produce a good result. We also have photos of tablemates that have become fast friends during the cruise that were taken by cruise photographers. The only way to get everyone in the same picture at the same time is to have a staff photographer take the picture.

But those pictures at embarkation and disembarkation are usually a waste. Once we have explained to folks in front of us that we don't want a photo, we have found that they have no problem letting us get by. In fact, there is often a chain reaction as others realize they are not obliged to wait and they join us in bypassing the photo.

By the way, have you ever noticed how truly awful many embarkation pictures are? Many, if not most, passengers have just completed a tiring trip -- sometimes cross-country or even transoceanic -- in the hands of our airline friends. And then after checking in their luggage and themselves, they've been searched one more time to get on the ship. To top it all off, a photographer at the top of a long ramp tells them to drop everything and Smile! When they are displayed, take a good look at those first pictures on your next cruise and compare them with pictures of the same people after 1 or 2 days at sea, and you will see why we all love to cruise.

Back to the gripe at hand, as long as there is not much of a delay and/or we can bypass the photographer with a quick "No thanks," I don't have much of a problem. But holding up the line more than 5 or 10 minutes is uncalled for. Staff photographers, be warned!!
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

We avoid the ship's photogs as much as possible. If they do take the pic we don't buy it. In the dining room we have the waiter take our pic on one of the formal nights. The waiters' pics usually look better than the pro's. One night we were going down the fancy stairs on formal night and asked a passing staff member to take our pic. It turned out great!
I will say Celeb's photogs are not very pushy. We just slipped around the people in front of us at all our ports on our recent MR cruise. No time for pics anyway as the excursions were leaving.
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:40 PM
Admiral

At port disembarkations we just ducked under the rope.

One evening on the Pearl I got off the elevator and tried to go to the reception desk. There is only a starboard passageway and I walked right into a picture area set up by the ship. The route was completely blocked and the photog was very rude and loud.
I advised him to watch his tone and post a lookout.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Yeoman

Digital cameras now allow that freedom. Take 300 pics, and pick the one or two that work for you, get home and print them up poster size if you like. Its the way ahead, but only one thing, dont try and crash the ships photograhers "back drop" spot to do it. It really pee's them off 8) 8)

And unlike most of the ships "serving" crew, these guys in my experince earn on sold pictures, so maybe they can be a bit pushy, but in my experience mostly nice people trying to earn a buck.