Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Familiar Face

Default Noisy balcony doors.

I was on the Carnival Miracle, with a balcony room. Everything was very nice, but the door to the balcony was a hinged type and you could hear all the neighbor's doors slam/bang when they went back into their rooms because of the tight closers on them. Can anyone suggest another ship on any of the cruiselines that have sliding glass doors instead that might be quieter?

Imagination
Glory
Miracle
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Destiny
Legend
Freedom
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Admiral

A sliding door would squeak as it slide open and close....

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I doubt that the neighbors doors slammed because they had
" tight closers " but more probably because they hadn't the courtesy
to gently close them.
Sad to say but some folks just can't get the hang of closing the doors without letting it bang shut by itself, whether it's a balcony door or a cabin door at 2 a.m.
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sliding doors do make less noise than the standard door. Also the standard door can be caught by the wind and slam shut without the person knowing it or make it easier or harder to shut than expected.

People also like to "bungee" cord doors open and often the bungee cords slip off and the door will slam shut. If you open your cabin door with the balcony door open you will create a wind tunnel effect and this causes havoc on doors.

Most balcony doors on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL's newer ships have sliding doors. The one courtesy to remember is to not leave a sliding door open in heavy seas. It will bang open and closed if not propped open making it very noisy to others.

I find it just easier to think about your neighbors when you do something. Sometimes you can't help it, other times you can. Try to avoid the times you can.

I've also found that no matter what you do, including talking on your balcony, if the person next door is grumpy enough it may irritate them. In those cases it is just a case of "Too bad for them."

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 16th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
I doubt that the neighbors doors slammed because they had
" tight closers " but more probably because they hadn't the courtesy
to gently close them.
Sad to say but some folks just can't get the hang of closing the doors without letting it bang shut by itself, whether it's a balcony door or a cabin door at 2 a.m.
Amen, Ron!

We had bacony door slammers on both sides of us on our last cruise. I know (because we did) that the doors can be closed quietly with minimal effort. I chalked it up to the people not having doors on their caves back home, and thus not having any experience on how to operate such devices. We thought about returning the favor, but did not. Ya' know, if you wrestle a pig in the mud you just get dirty, and the pig has fun!
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Passenger

I was on the Valor in September and the Victory in November. The people in the room next to us on the Valor were door slammers. . . .balcony, bathroom, closet. . .They also talked very loudly at all times of day and night.

On the Victory cruise, I would not have known there were people in the cabin next to us if I hadn't seen them leave for dinner one evening.

As the others have said, it comes down to people not thinking about others.

That being said, you can find sliding doors on RCCL.

Chris
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Admiral

I prefer to think that noisy people are just ignorant that their sounds are carrying into my world.
I politely advise them and usually that is the end of it.
Most folks I have encountered do not realize that they are imposing on us and are subsequently quite thoughtful.
I guess my point is that some people need to be told that they are loud.

If they continue to inpinge on my quiet (rarely) I will advise management.
Dan
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Noisy balcony doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandar
I was on the Carnival Miracle, with a balcony room. Everything was very nice, but the door to the balcony was a hinged type and you could hear all the neighbor's doors slam/bang when they went back into their rooms because of the tight closers on them. Can anyone suggest another ship on any of the cruiselines that have sliding glass doors instead that might be quieter?
I know exactly what you are talking about. The doors were so heavy and when the ship was out to sea because of the wind -there was a break of suction sound whenever a door was opened and closed. I felt that was what I heard- not doors slamming.

We have had a balcony on Carribean Princess and also Disney Wonder (although Disney calls them veranda-the same thing as a balcony) Even though on those ships the balcony was not as big as the one we had on the Miracle, there was no break of suction sound every time someone went out on their balcony-also with that design-the sliding door stays open and no need for a bungee cord-just leave your door open at night if you choose.

the sliding doors are a nicer design to me. Now On Disney we had a huge stateroom and on Princess we had a much smaller stateroom-so I guess Disney was the best of the three-but then much more expensive also.

Between Carnival Miracle and Caribbean Princess though it is a trade off I guess-CP was not so noisy-but then you did not have the bigger stateroom and balcony.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
A sliding door would squeak as it slide open and close....
No the sliding doors did not squeak. but asd I said in the other post-it is a trade off- either you pay more on Disney-or you have a smaller stateroom on Princess.

I want it all- a nice sized stateroom without lots of noise coming from the balcony area for a reasonable price. I guess I want too much.
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Admiral

The Pearl has heavy sliding doors which makes it hard to "slam" them. They also have a "lock open" capability. Once the door is almost fully open, just turn the handle and it locks the door open.

WARNING: Avoid opening the cabin door to the passageway while the balcony door is open: Everything that weighs less than 5 pounds will end up blown half way down the hall!
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Yeoman

In my opinion they are built as they are and for safety reasons regarding that particular ship and it's design. Ship balcony / patio doors unlike those at home have to put up with more potential stress than at home, ie the sea pushing through them if the ship tilts, or goes on its side and then have to deal with the pressure of water on them. They lock like a porthole.

Have you considered that scenario, that in an emergency these door if closed properly then they are the only saviour between your cabin and the sea in that emergency?

So they will be heavier and more awkward to deal with. And given the close proximity to next door’s cabin and paper thin walls, and a strange engaging mechanism, they will appear to "bang" or "slam" when closed.

And please remember that most people on a daily basis don’t have something so heavy, awkward and potentially water tight to deal with. They are different, and for safety reasons.

I really don’t feel people bang them for the sake of it, they are really awkward SOB's sometimes. but for the right reasons
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Admiral

I do not recall hearing another cabin's balcony door slam during our entire cruise.

Though the door is stout, it will never hold back the sea if the ship goes on its side.
Besides, if the ship did a 90 degree tilt it would be all over.
Old February 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Yeoman

What a disrespect to the designers, you dont think they have to produce a balcony door that if the ship tilted to sea, it could not withstand sea presssure?.... They do and it would not be accepted as part of the ship's "structure" or "design" if it failed that from a safety and design perspective.

But, if it goes 180, then maybe a different story for more than one reason, other than balcony doors 8)

Actually in todays big ships if they tilt more than around 33 degrees they are gone, on their side or under. Only ever been to 17 degrees on tilt and that was REALLY REALLY scary
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Admiral

I meant no disrespect.
I just know what the doors look like and am certain that they will not withstand the weight of the ship laying on the sea.

I seriously doubt that these doors are required to stay water tight in that situation. If that were the case then the glass doors on the aft deck would have to hold up also...and that ain't never happenin'.
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Yeoman

Dan, "you just know that"...how do you know that? Gut feeling? Please read ship design specs it may help they are available on the internet.

"If that were the case then the glass doors on the aft deck would have to hold up also...and that ain't never happenin'"

Not sure what you mean on that quote, but it appears to be regarding incidents you know of or have personally experienced. Can you explain it for me, thanks.

Or again are you guessing regarding the aft doors suitability, if so again read the specs that "every" component of a ship has to meet as part of its structure / infrastructure and doors are a big part of that.

Did you know that on todays big ships that may just look like one big white metal liner, that above 9/10 decks the ship structure is no longer made of steel, but aluminium, it has to be or it would roll over due to height / width displacement. So sometimes things are not what they appear or seem to be on ships.
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Admiral

David,
Why the competition?

I have been in the ship building and repair business for almost 30 years.
I am very well aware of the materials used in the construction of vessels.

Those sliding glass doors are not holding back the sea when the ship is on its side.

My mention of the aft doors is this:
Though they are on the 12th deck they will be just as wet as the 10th deck when the ship is on its side.
These glass doors are hinged with a two inch gap at the center and the edges.

A maritime vessel is not required nor expected to be water tight on her side.

Let's move on.
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:51 PM
Yeoman

Why did you not just you were an expert in the first place? and its not competition its discussion , remember that on here 8) 8)

Okay lets agree to disagree on this
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Admiral

I do not claim to be an expert.
I am only saying that I opened and closed the balcony door in cabin 10574 for 5 days.

It is not even water tight.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Yeoman

Jeez, thats good opening a door for 5 days, thought you worked in ship repair and building for 30 years?

Okay forget it
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Brilliant David!!!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Yeoman

, yep Dan.,, Debating nothing, with nothing to go on as a response, I'm so good or so bad at that.

Really interested in your tag line, what does that mean? I'm asking as ex forces.
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Captain

The NTSB report on the Norwegian Dawn indicates cabin balcony rails were destroyed by waves and broke stateroom windows:

"The balconies have a teak rail supported by welded aluminum vertical supports mounted on top of a low steel bulwark. The aluminum rail supports failed, and the teak handrails shattered the fixed stateroom windows. The broken glass blocked the drains on the weather side of the windows so the water could not escape. Seawater was then trapped between the steel bulwark and the aft interior cabin bulkheads. At least 1 foot of seawater entered the cabins and traveled under the cabin doors into the corridors. Both cabins sustained severe water damage to the windows, bulkheads, fixtures, and carpeting."
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
I prefer to think that noisy people are just ignorant that their sounds are carrying into my world.
I politely advise them and usually that is the end of it.
Most folks I have encountered do not realize that they are imposing on us and are subsequently quite thoughtful.
I guess my point is that some people need to be told that they are loud.

If they continue to inpinge on my quiet (rarely) I will advise management.
Dan
rinker, on the c/arnival Miracle-the doors were so heavy that when out to sea they "slammed" no matter how careful I was-an dI tried NOT to do it-it was really a break of suction sound from the wind I felt and NOT the door slamming- but this was only the Carnival ship that was that way-the other line's doors would slide and had no slam sound with them.
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

I walked into our cabin one time while my wife had the slider open....when I let go of the door handle ... BAM!!!!!!!
It was so loud that I felt compelled to yell "I'm sorry!" down the passage way.
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Yeoman

Okay , try to forget the noise, they are heavy because they have a job to do.

Aidan, I'm lots of things, but I aint a geek. I like others travel on these things hoping that they are fit to sail on and that I will be safe.

So whether x = y regarding build, I just hope they give me a ship I can live and sleep on and certified for certain conditions.....What else can I ask?

A lot of lessons were learned from Norwegian Dawn regarding build and design. But...

If some of you are so expert that can determine, water volume against balcony, bulkhead or other crucial doors...Fine, but mmmm, are you sure in the evidence you are providing?

Are you willing to stand up to Carnival or an other lines "designers" and question publicly how they design ships and balconies or patio doors. And thier passengers safety?

I'd advise for your sake, get your facts right, as unless you can its only scare mongering
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Yo David,
If you have returned to your position that a slider will hold back the ocean while the ship is laying on its side....
Design engineers have advised me that this is neither feasible nor required.
That kind of closure requires 3/8" thick (for locations located on the interior) METAL hatches with locking dogs capable of applying 120 foot pounds of torque. These locking devices have to be located every 3 feet. A hatch located in a passageway would have to have 6 of these to be considered watertight. and that is just to keep separate compartments watertight.
Exterior WATERTIGHT hatches are a minimum of 3/4" thick and require to be dogged either hydraulically or gear driven assisted to achieve 300 foot pounds or torque.
Those kinds of requirements are reserved for SUBMARINES and not surface vessels.
Get yourself a balcony cabin and look close....the sliders are not even water tight let alone capable of holding the weight of the ship against the sea.

I note that your posts throughout this site are usually of a challenge nature.

Please accept this information in the spirit that it is given.
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
Aidan, I'm lots of things, but I aint a geek. I like others travel on these things hoping that they are fit to sail on and that I will be safe.
I'm sure you're not a geek.

Cruise ships are relatively safe, though the danger is from fire, not cabin windows. The windows aren't designed to be watertight, and they don't have to be.

The "lesson" learned from the Norwegian Dawn is -- somethimes things happen. Nothing was wrong with the ship. Again from the NTSB report:

"According to statements of the chief engineer and the hotel director, the crew secured gear, closed off outer decks, and properly prepared the vessel for heavy weather, while making advisory announcements to the passengers. The hotel staff tried to accommodate the passengers’ needs and make them comfortable. To see water flowing on the upper decks naturally caused concern among the passengers, but at no time did the damage pose a serious safety hazard to the ship."
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Solution....

I've got 2 words for ya..... 'ear plugs'
Wouldn't leave home without them.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Yeoman

Rinker250

"I note that your posts throughout this site are usually of a challenge nature"....yep that’s me bud

"Please accept this information in the spirit that it is given." Well I will for as long as you can keep arguing with me and justifying your opinion. 8)

You see actually, I don’t care as its only words, banter, “non contact? talk, Do you honestly think that I actually believe half of what I post on here mmmm

Adidan: ditto

Its a web board for goodness sake, and made up of spontaneous discussion from people that never meet or have to live with each other to justify their opinion, its all....fantasy.

So I act and react based on that premise, never take me or my opinion seriously on here as I am just having fun with the vehicle presented. What some see as heavy opinion from me is "mental chewing gum", dont have to think about how to do it, it's just natural.

This board is no different, you have posts made through "have a laugh" and "through drink" and through the most important aspect of all for most. "I never have to meet this person, so I can play with their opinion".

This is not a real world, the board world, although some people seem to think it is, thats sad Dont take it so personally, it's banter, cheap non justifiable talk of strangers.

Oh and I missed out the real important one "through ignorance". I just love them 8)
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Admiral

"Do you honestly think that I actually believe half of what I post on here mmmm "

I'm only surprised that you admit it.