Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Adieu, Chef Roux

Having had the chance to cruise on various ships, I found Celebrity's food to be a cut or two above that of the other mid-priced lines. This is part of what made their premium brand identity right from the start. So I was sorry to hear that Celebrity was bringing its long-running consulting arrangement with the famed Michel Roux to an end.

But what's really baffling is the guy they've named to follow Roux in the consulting chef position. Not only has Ponce Yablonski never seen an ocean, he isn't even a chef-- he works the fryolator in a Denny's in Enid, Oklahoma! Actually, he isn't even a cook, officially-- he's a dishwashing machine operator, and just fills in in when the regular fry guy, Virgil, is "out sick"-- which is a lot of the time lately, because let's face it, Virgil's got a wicked crystal meth problem.

Okay, I'm getting off topic here. The main thing is, Celebrity really has their work cut out for them maintaining their culinary reputation. I know all the lines are looking to contain costs, but this choice strikes me as penny-wise and pound-foolish!
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:32 PM
First Mate

Alright now, as an Okie, I take offense to this. I have eaten at the Denny's in Enid and the chef there prepares some of the best french cuisine in the state. I defy you to find better fries or toast than they serve there.
This does remind me however of the time a friend of mine at at a place in Ardmore Oklahoma and when he asked what the catch of the day was, the waiter said; "Uh, I think it's fish."
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am glad that my early-April-fool's posting is taken in the spirit in which it was intended.

Many years ago, I would periodically join my cousin Lisa to keep her company as she hit the road on long cross-country road trips. I think things have improved some since then, but at the time, we had a saying; once you leave the big cities and really entered the hinterlands, all food choices seemed to fall into three categories: "either fried, or meat, or fried meat."

Bone appetit!