Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypalmtree
..seated with a couple that were pretty nice..and an elderly women in her late 80's or early 90's..Prudence...and she barfed at the table on the second night...returned the fourth night and started to do it again..she was carried out by three men..and the ice bucket was with her..poor dear..and poor us....The second night she actually threw up in the middle of the table..on all of our food...it was so gross..they threw Hazmat stuff on the table and tried to move us..but we were no longer hungry..they made her stay in her room all night and the next day...........It was her last cruise.............
I know I'm getting in on this a little late, but I had to comment on this one. If she would've done that while I was at the table, it would've started a chain reaction. I can't listen to someone "ralph" without losing it myself!!! And it dang sure wouldn't have happened again, because if I saw her coming the second time, I would've left and went to the buffet. lol

I've been on two cruises now and really haven't had a bad tablemate. Like someone posted earlier, I really enjoy hearing about what my 'mates did during the day.

D

Caribbean Village Playa Dorada: Dominican Republic All Inclusive
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
Admiral

OK, I know I'm getting in on this post very late but here goes. DW and I were on a cruise and we were seated with people we did not know. There were 4 couples all togather. The first we all dined togather was very pleasent until the end of the meal. The one gentleman and his wife picked up their table napkins and blew their noses on them and sat them on the table. As the week progressed the nose blowing got worse. He was blowing his nose DURING the meal. I thought this was poor manners. Others at the table didn't seemed to be as affected by it as I was. Although we all kinda' just ignored it and no one said anything. You could see eyebrows going up from time to time. It's hard for me to enjoy good food with someone honking at the table.
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2
OK, I know I'm getting in on this post very late but here goes. DW and I were on a cruise and we were seated with people we did not know. There were 4 couples all togather. The first we all dined togather was very pleasent until the end of the meal. The one gentleman and his wife picked up their table napkins and blew their noses on them and sat them on the table. As the week progressed the nose blowing got worse. He was blowing his nose DURING the meal. I thought this was poor manners. Others at the table didn't seemed to be as affected by it as I was. Although we all kinda' just ignored it and no one said anything. You could see eyebrows going up from time to time. It's hard for me to enjoy good food with someone honking at the table.
Gross! I understand some people's noses run when they eat but at least bring tissues and try to be discrete about it.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeph
I never encountered out-of-control kids at the table on my various cruise adventures, but I have had one experience that made me a little queasy, with people more than old enough to know better.

In April of 2005, I was on MSC's Lirica for an 11-day cruise rt out of Ft Lauderdale that featured a big-band theme and some great ports, including Costa Rica, the Panama canal and Cartagena Colombia, which was one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. Given the less-known cruise line, the length and season of the trip, and the big-band music, the passenger load was as senior as I had expected-- mostly decades older than me (mid-40's).

I didn't have much in common with the three elderly conservative southern couples at my table, who knew one another. The capper came about night #9, when one of the men began to favor me with some of his quaint racial theories. This guy was obviously highly intelligent-- both an MD and an attorney, a private pilot, and now helping his wife in their retirement real-estate venture-- but here he was going on about how he and the missus (who was actually originally from the midwest) would probably disinherit and disown any child of theirs who brought home somebody black as a prospective spouse. God forbid the white gene pool should be thus polluted! Being a "Member of the Tribe" as they say, it was all I could do not to come back with something along the lines of, "Oh, really? And tell me, how do you feel about JEWS?"

I had a quiet supper by myself up in the buffet the next night-- wasn't quite ready to break bread with that character again just yet.
Well you know alot of southerners felt that way of my parent's and grandparent's generation. My first cousin's daoghter had a racially mixed baby last year and I am sure my aunt and grandmother are turning in their graves. But you know, my cousin loves that grandbaby just as much as his other grandbaby that his other daughter had. Times have changed and people need to accept that.

Now my daughter is still single and childless . I just hope she will find someone who will make her happy and treat her well. If her future mate does that; I could care less about what race or nationiality he is or that of my future grandchildren.
I forgot to mention I live inthe south and my cousin and his daughter and grandbaby are in Mississippi where all the older white folks (70 plus) really frown on that-but my cousin and I are in our fifties-so we are much more accepting-my daughter who is in her twenties-does not understand how my parents, her grandparents, could have been so prejudiced.

The attitude of the south is slowly changing with each generation for the better.
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Okay my worst tablemates story happened on the Celebrity Infinity. We were seated at a table for 6 only another couple showed up. They were a Lesbian couple. Not a problem for me I was a hairstylist for 14 years in the California Bay Area.

Problem for me was one lady in her early 60s could not meet me in the eye. My twins are above average size and I did have the push up bra working. However, it was creepy having a woman my mom's age staring at the tetons every night. Had that been a man I would have called him on the behavior. We should have asked for a new table. This lady was also very negative about the food and complained every night. Then she tried to engage me in a political conversation. That didn't work out well for her.

The other lady was a wonderful, interesting woman from New Zealand had it been just her there would have been no problem. She can do better.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 24th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Passenger

Worst tablemates in my opinion are “the complainers�. Many of you have had the unfortunate experience of sitting next to these people. From the ship, to the weather, to the food and other people’s clothes, these people are never happy and they let you and everyone within 20 feet know it. They have done it all before but 100 times better.

For these people: Even if you aren’t having a stellar time, your tablemates may be on the vacation of a lifetime (literally). Please try not to ruin it for them. Even if things aren’t perfect for us we try and focus on the good and making it the best vacation possible. Ill never understand why some people enjoy dwelling on negative things. Sure some trips fall short of expectations but there are still things to enjoy and others may not be having the same experience.

A bad cruise is still better than a good day at work.
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS
When we took my stepson & his friend on a cruise, they sat us with another family w/2 boys. The oldest one was fine, but the rest of the family was so ridiculous, I couldn't believe it! The youngest son kept asking our VERY hard working waitress with the STUPIDEST questions, and his parents never insisted he stop doing that. I finally made some comment that he should ask his questions of her lately when she isn't working so hard, and his family agreed. What a moron!!

The rest of the family was pretty ridiculous too, with the grandfather telling the same stupid joke over and over again. I have patience with older people usually, but I think he was being stupid on purpose!

During one of our free sitting breakfast meals, we met these 2 very interesting gals! One had worked on building the subway in New York City and was very fascinating to talk to! Guess we should have asked for another table, but guess I was worried about being terribly rude. But I think I'll just muster my courage the next time! Too many interesting and nice people to meet whilst cruising to waste on some I don't care for..
WOW..That subway builder must have been pretty old. The subway opened in 1904. If they were 20 when it opened they would be a young age of 123.
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Passenger

The worst was one night on the norwegian spirit. There were 3 couples. The guy was a lawyer. His stories all featured getting drunk and prostitutes. He offered that the difference between Las Vegas and Cruise ships was that Las Vegas has prostitutes. After he finished his first bizarre story his wife looked at us and said " dont pay any attention to him". She never really acknowledged him outside of that comment. She did however contribute some acidic comments of her own about other diners dress. The lawyer then wanted to know if anyone would want to split the cost of the bottles of wine he ordered. He then offered that the reason why myself and the other male diner didnt talk and think like he did was because we were henpecked. I remember thinking this is probably better than the stage show will be tonight. I saw him a few other nights holding forth at other tables with the people staring blankly at him.
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Passenger

I guess we've been blessed with good tablemates. The only two questionable times were once on the Big Red Boat, our mates were a large family from Alabama. The father thought formal night meant wearing his cleanest dirty jeans, and a belt buckle the size of a dinner plate. The offered no disicpline to their disruptive children, even to the one who kept running around the table. And the other time was the drunks, who only showed up twice (drunk both times), and his wife once (also smashed). Everytime we saw them, they were drinking. During the debarking, we saw them carrying out massive amounts of liquor bottles. They weren't obnoxious drunks, but it was hard to keep up a conversation with them.
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Your WORST Tablemates

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSweetheart
Share your stories of your worst tablemates!!!!
First night at dinner on a 5 day cruise, my wife & I arrived at the table first. 5 minutes later a family of four came to join us, I extended my hand to introduce myself & was told by the husband/dad, "We will never see each other when these 5 days are over, so let's not start some phony friendship". Made it through dinner night 1, and requested another table for the rest of the cruise, met some nice people that strangely enough I still keep in contact with?!
On our first "freestyle dining" cruise we had six nights of absolutely wonderful tablemates. On one night we were seated when a family of six showed up. They were mainly spanish speaking (but did speak English) and the rudest people I've ever come across in my life! We smiled and said hello and the senior woman said "we don't know you- be quiet!" She proceeded to order the poor waiter around and after they gave their orders said to him "You go put our order in NOW. They wait!" Of course, the waiter refused (and always served us our food first). The photographer came and she (of course) said "No pictures, go away!" I said to the photographer "We'd like our pictures taken please" and after he was done and gone I said to the woman "Do not dare to speak for us again!" When we left I said "Goodbye and I suggest that tomorrow evening you request a private table so you won't have to put up with the rudeness we had to tolerate this evening!" Boy, did I want to toss her overboard!
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Can’t believe the past few posts, thank God it was not me dealing with these people............but that’s cruising

You can pick your ship, deck and cabin and the price you pay for it.

But not the others that will surround you 8)
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:44 PM
First Mate

On our second Carnival Holiday sailing, we booked "last minute", about two months before departure. As always, we requested early seating, but when we boarded we found we had been placed on the late seating. We went to the dining room first night, but after that we tried the lido deck and enjoyed it so much we never got back to the dining room.
I hope the couple we were seated with didn't feel rejected. They were nice people, but we are not much company after eight. If you see a post about two table mates who slept through the first dinner then disappeared, guess who!
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Passenger

Default tablemates--an actress

On my Carnival 3 night crz, two women sat at our lg table. One of them said she played a Russian doctor in one of Steven Seagall's movies. She told me the name, but I forgot. I don't watch many movies, but I did see that one and I recognized her. That was just so awesome. On the last night she asked what was a must see in Nassau and I told her about Atlantis and my group had went earlier in the day. Then she wanted me to go with her. Our ship was leaving at 3 am. so at like 11 pm, we left the ship, took a taxi and i gave her the tour like a guard had given me earlier. then we got a taxi back. so cool, so awesome. can you believe it?
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

Quote:
I know this is a late response, but shall we ever meet on a cruise, you might want to sit FAR away. My nose runs all year long, and it runs even more when I eat hot and/or spicy food, which I love. The options are either blow my nose, or have snot running down my face. I believe the first to be most preferred.

Old October 29th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Admiral

There has to be a balance to this, so starting a new thread
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy2005
Quote:
I know this is a late response, but shall we ever meet on a cruise, you might want to sit FAR away. My nose runs all year long, and it runs even more when I eat hot and/or spicy food, which I love. The options are either blow my nose, or have snot running down my face. I believe the first to be most preferred.
Bring kleenex and please don't use the cloth napkins. I have that problem too and yes I have wiped my nose before on PAPER napkins in a pickle but I also threw them away myself and did not expect the poor waiter/busboy to do that for me.

I would excuse myself and take a trip to the bathroom before I would blow my nose in a cloth napkin, plus I will never blow my nose at the dinning table, I only wipe it,and if it gets bad enough, excuse myself and go to the bathroom-nothing is grosser then a big low nose blowing at the table.

That is just simple common manners.
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Much better than just turning your head and launching a snot rocket!

I'm kidding but I have actually witnessed the practice at the pool side by more than one person.
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Much better than just turning your head and launching a snot rocket!

I'm kidding but I have actually witnessed the practice at the pool side by more than one person.
Yes my hubby would do that 20 odd years ago when we first married, a nasty habit him and his buddies had hatched.

Several of these guys were in their 30's and still single, which as I pointed out to my hubby is why they were still single and the fact he never did this except when he was around them, thinking that made him a "real man" in their eyes-but if he had done that in front of me, before we married he would have stayed single!
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Here's one. I just got back. Sailed with my husband and my parents for their 40th anniversary. I thought we'd be seated alone, but a couple, both about 40, shared our table. They had a 2 yr old son. The first night the wife turns to me and says, "He gets sick a lot after he eats." Sure enough, the kid projectile vomits all down the back of her sweater. The husband jumps up, wipes it up with his napkin, THEN throws the napkin in the middle of the table. The wife leaves, and the goofy husband just keeps on eating. I finally turned and said, "You may want to get rid of that."
Now, my 4 yr old daughter was with us, so I totally understand about kids getting sick, but (a) she KNEW he was going to vomit, and (b) he threw the vomit napkin in the middle of the table!!
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Admiral

So what are we saying, they explained a problem, they dealt with the problem apart from the throwing the napkin onto the middle of the table scenario.

So what are you advocating? No doubt both where really embarrassed by what had just happened in front of you and your folks and sometimes in that scenario things happen in the mix, oops forgot the sick covered napkin.

So how would have played it, if it was your child in front of strangers?.

Or given the fact that this kid may spew after eating, what do youu expect them to do

A) Hide in their cabin when eating just in case the kid gets sick after eating
or
B) Did any of you assist them in what was a difficult or embarrassing situation.,,,likely no as you were still pee'd off that "others" shared your dining table when you expected it to be "private" for you and yours on that anniversary cruise that was likely planned for ages.

I feel that’s what really annoyed you, not the fact the kid was sick, kids do that.

Look at it from the other side of the table
Old November 9th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Actually, no. I offered to walk her back to the room, as the husband did not. With norovirus and other GI bugs going around cruise ships, the vomit napkin in the middle of the table was concerning.

If I had a child who projectile vomits after meals, I would carry a plastic bag and schedule an appointment with a specialist. I don't think that's normal for a 2 yr old, but pediatrics is not my nursing specialty.

We were quite concerned for the child and inquired about his well-being every time we saw them, in the dining room and out. We did not have our seats changed, but there were other issues with them.
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Passenger

I personally would not take a child with that sort of problem to eat in public. Sorry if that is insensitive, but I agree with Sandy--that kid needs to be in a doctor's office, not a cruise ship.
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyM
Actually, no. I offered to walk her back to the room, as the husband did not. With norovirus and other GI bugs going around cruise ships, the vomit napkin in the middle of the table was concerning.

If I had a child who projectile vomits after meals, I would carry a plastic bag and schedule an appointment with a specialist. I don't think that's normal for a 2 yr old, but pediatrics is not my nursing specialty.

We were quite concerned for the child and inquired about his well-being every time we saw them, in the dining room and out. We did not have our seats changed, but there were other issues with them.
Sandy if it had been my child I would not have taken him to dinner. I simply would have ordered room service. If the cruiseship offered babysitting servce, then I would have done that alternate restuarant once or so.

As far as the Drs. I imagine she had the child checked. My daughter if she over ate, would do that, we had to feed her very tiny meals throughout the day. She had been checked out and there was a medicial term for it. Something about the ephasoguas (spelled?) not closing correctly. Ofcourse that sympton can mean something serious, so yes theyhave to run tests to make sure the problem is not life threatening but what my daughter had was very common, and children usually grow out of it by the time they are two. My daughter did- thank goodness!

Back then I had very long hair and many a time I had to wash it because she threw up on me while I was burping her. I ended up cutting my hair off short becuase it happened so many times!

Ignore this David guy, he just likes to argue about everything. He claims he is another person that used to post here-but I am sure he isn't-that person was nice-and although he loved a discussion, he never looked for arguments the way this person does.

The best thing you can do is not post back to him. If everyone would ignore his baiting them. I am sure he would get bored. My guess is he is a very foolish preteen pretending to be an adult.
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Passenger

Yes, I personally wouldn't take the child to formal dining, but that's just me. Wasn't this the guy who was banned like 3 or 4 times from the boards? Oh well.
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBgood
You just described a person's color, not their race or nationality or how they live as normal in their society and to them what is acceptable, ie for Asians eating with a hand instead of a fork .

But I do agree that people of all races should be able to control their children. A three year old kid, did anyone else say, "no thats wrong, you should not do that" in a nice sort of way, but get the point across if not to the child, but the parents?

Am I a "racist" if there are people, of some nationalities, that I would rather not sit with at the same dinner table on cruise? Please note, I did not say that I would not sit with them. No ill will intended toward them or anyone.

I always find it amusing that some good meaning people are so afraid to be thought a "racist" because of the way they articulate a story. I am not surprised that some think themselves superior and "pick apart" every word in the story to fit their agenda to be so above it all .
Old November 10th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Admiral

What Rick, you deep dived in posts back to February 07 to quote this and totally out of context...mmm

But back to your point or quote

"Am I a "racist" if there are people, of some nationalities, that I would rather not sit with at the same dinner table on cruise?"

Yes you are, thats it buddy. Live with it or am I missing an "agenda" here
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Admiral

I would gladly sit at the dinner table with people of any size, color or shape, but not with a family who brings a small child to the table when he is likely to throw up.

David, I disagree with you on this one. Throwing a napkin with puke all over it into the middle of the table is extremely rude and uneccessary.
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick

Am I a "racist" if there are people, of some nationalities, that I would rather not sit with at the same dinner table on cruise?
Perhaps not just racist but xenophobic as well.

Im curious which nationalities you prefer not to sit with?
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by new22003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick

Am I a "racist" if there are people, of some nationalities, that I would rather not sit with at the same dinner table on cruise?
Perhaps not just racist but xenophobic as well.

Im curious which nationalities you prefer not to sit with?

How easily some "label" others based on a simple question. I think at least two posters here must keep a copy of a dictionary open while posting. Honestly now, how many people had to look up the meaning of "xenophobic'? Come on now ne honest! Sorry to shoot down your diagnosis but I am not a racist nor a xenophobic. I seriously doubt that very many xenophobics travel to new places. I think travel and xenophobic is what is called an oxymoron. If you have ever met a couple on cruise and the husband is always saying hello to everyone, thats me. My favorite time to say "Hello, hows everyone doing...are you having a great cruise etc" is in a crowded elevator on ship. Needless to say, only about 1 other person will acknowledge me when I do that. The rest just stare as if in shock. .

Sorry, I am straying from your question. I will sit and enjoy dinner with anyone except children and "think they know it all" ego-maniac's who think they can see into the mind and heart of another person based on a simple word or question. Yes, I do prefer dinner with some nationalities more than I would with other nationalities.

As to your being "curious which nationalities you prefer not to sit with" question....well that is quite simply none of your business and since we do not share a bed together will go unanswered.
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Beginner

We had a couple a few years back that were both interent cheaters. Both were married and lied to meet (for the first time) on a cruise. They would come to dinner 15 minutes late each night and she would cut all of his food and serve it to him, disguisting. They were real rednecks and hicks. He was some type contractor and she a waitress (imagine that) anyway they had been "talking" in chat rooms for 6 months and decided to sneak away from their spouses. Last day we heard he had called home and his wife had found out. Guess she was suspicious and got in to his computer and found everything. Anyway they would be late finishing EVERY course because she was feeding him.

They also both had cheap cologne and perfume on. He came im formal night with overalls and a 1970's lesiure suit jacket, everyone was laughing all around. They were just plain terrible.