Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Passenger

DW and I were seated on Carnival Fascination with a family of 4. The first one or two nights were fine and we enjoyed sharing stories about our excursions etc. But on the third night I think it was, the son, 10 years old and apparently a junior entomologist, had caught some kind of odd bug in Tulum and had trapped it in a jar of salsa. Naturally, he brought it for show and tell. He had removed the label but not all the salsa. Mom laughed about how she helped him trap and smuggle it. I still don't know what it was. I would like to embellish that the bug escaped but thankfully it did not. It did make a surprising amount of noise and flitted salsa all over the inside of the jar. Not appetizing. If the waiter or wine steward noticed it, they did a GREAT job pretending they didn't.

Dad made him promise to throw it overboard and they told us next night that it "the job has been done."

May the seas smile upon you!
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

From what I gather about Rick's post, he is not a racist or xenophobe. I used to own a construction business. Obviously, I was required to deal with numerous people on a regular basis. I live in Washington DC, which is a very cosmopolitan city, we have people from, literally, all over the world living here. I found certain nationalities more difficult to deal with as customers than others. This had little to do with skin color or ethnicity but more with culture. As an American, I preferred to do business a certain way. As people from other cultures, they were used to doing business in a manner that was common for thier culture. Thier way was not wrong, just different. Because of these differences, I would have trouble interacting with them and often chose not to seek out people of certain cultural backgrounds to do business with.

The same can be said of people on cruises. There may be cultures I would not want to spend my time with. I may find thier attitudes or demeanor or habits objectionable. Being ex-navy, I have traveled all over the world and met people from many different countries. There are some that do not bathe regularly. There are some people that feel casual physical contact (hugging and kissing) are okay. Certain cultures have dining habits I would find unsavory. The list goes on and on. I'm sure many cultures find Americans crude, crass, concieted, aggresive, overbearing or just objectionable. So be it. I try to judge by each individual but culture is hard to overcome. That does not make me a racist, just choosy. By definition, to be a racist one needs to object to a persons race.
Disney Wonder October 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas September 2011
Disney Magic February 2012
Disney Wonder January 2014
Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015...I hope!
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasic
From what I gather about Rick's post, he is not a racist or xenophobe. I used to own a construction business. Obviously, I was required to deal with numerous people on a regular basis. I live in Washington DC, which is a very cosmopolitan city, we have people from, literally, all over the world living here. I found certain nationalities more difficult to deal with as customers than others. This had little to do with skin color or ethnicity but more with culture. As an American, I preferred to do business a certain way. As people from other cultures, they were used to doing business in a manner that was common for thier culture. Thier way was not wrong, just different. Because of these differences, I would have trouble interacting with them and often chose not to seek out people of certain cultural backgrounds to do business with.

The same can be said of people on cruises. There may be cultures I would not want to spend my time with. I may find thier attitudes or demeanor or habits objectionable. Being ex-navy, I have traveled all over the world and met people from many different countries. There are some that do not bathe regularly. There are some people that feel casual physical contact (hugging and kissing) are okay. Certain cultures have dining habits I would find unsavory. The list goes on and on. I'm sure many cultures find Americans crude, crass, concieted, aggresive, overbearing or just objectionable. So be it. I try to judge by each individual but culture is hard to overcome. That does not make me a racist, just choosy. By definition, to be a racist one needs to object to a persons race.
Thank you. Very well said...a lot better than I could have stated it.
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Beginner

On our last cruise, Celebrity Summit 12-7-07 Panama Canal Cruise. We had a table of 9 I think it was. Single older lady from England, the 2 of us from California, 2 men from Bangor Main, and 2 other couples. On the second night one of the couples didn't come back, didn't know the reason. Several nights later, the second couple left, also no reason was given.
The rest of cruise, was just us 2, 2 men and the Single lady from England that were left. My mother and I decided to go to the Jewish Manora lighting Ceremony even though we aren't Jewish to see what it is about. That couple was there, but didn't say anything. It was strange. Before that, on the first cruise in 2004 Celebrity Mercury, we had a table of 4. Us and a couple. I think I like the smaller table or larger tables is everyone stays, but is everyone's choice on what to do. We did try other alternative dinning.
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Just joined this forum, and couldn't resist this thread, as one of the things my DH and I enjoy most about cruising is meeting new people at dinner. We have never had horrible tablemates, but on our cruise last March on Freedom, we had the pleasure? of dining with a middle aged couple from Ireland. They were charming and interesting, but talked non stop. We began to dread dinner because of them. One laughable thing that happened was their derogatory comments about southern Americans, and Germans. We politely listened to their comment, and on the following night I happened to mention that my mother was born and raised in the south. I wish you could have seen their faces!! I didn't have the heart to mention that my DH mother was German and didn't speak English until she began school!! We weren't offended, just amused. They also had very strong political opinions about candidates for US President. Of course, their opinions were the direct opposite of ours, so we just smiled and nodded. Like I told my husband, it doesn't matter what they think because they can't vote!
The other couple at our table were a few years younger than us but newly married. It's rather unkind of me to say so but I can understand why it took this man so long to get married!! Suffice it to say that he thought we would be interested in the fact that they were trying to conceive on this cruise ( ewwww) Can't wait to see who we sit with on our next trip in two weeks!!
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

51 cruises and NEVER had bad tablemates on any of our cruises. Mind you, the last few years we have been choosing to dine just the 2 of us............During the day, I am up, out and about and I gather you guys know by now that the Captain is a chatterbox! The Mrs has a saying about me..........she says "I've known you 34 years and there's never a dull moment when you're around" I don't know if that is good or bad But come evening, we'd rather just dine together, just the 2 of us. Although I always seem to be making friends and chatting with the big table seating 10 next to us, including last week!

Captain
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

I remember on the Miracle I was playing backjack and the old guy sitting next to me got furious because I asked for a card when I already had a good hand. I just had a gut feeling and since they call it "gambling" I thought I'ld go for it. Well of course it didn't work and I lost the hand.

He blurted out, "You took my king !!" and then mumbled to his wife, "let's get out of here!!"....and they left.

The next night I told my wife and two sons I didn't like that we were alone at a table for four because we weren't meeting anyone and had the Matre'd switch us to a table for six......

Guess who was at the table for six......yep...the old guy from the card table. Now we just enjoy wherever they seat us !! lol

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old February 23rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

My worst tables mates were my mother and my niece!!!! We were seated at a table for four and no fourth person showed up. After the second night (first formal night) my mother wanted nothing to do with the dining room and my niece went along with her. I had no choice but to give up on the dining room and warm chocolate melting cake...Ya, I could have went to the maitre D to get a new table assignement, but my niece and mother would have been confused and lost if I didn't eat with them......

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
My worst tables mates were my mother and my niece!!!! We were seated at a table for four and no fourth person showed up. After the second night (first formal night) my mother wanted nothing to do with the dining room and my niece went along with her. I had no choice but to give up on the dining room and warm chocolate melting cake...Ya, I could have went to the maitre D to get a new table assignement, but my niece and mother would have been confused and lost if I didn't eat with them......
I fear I may have a similar experience! I am going on a 3-day cruise with my mom and sister next year, and my sister is probably the world's pickiest [adult] eater! Luckily it's a short cruise

Old March 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Passenger

My first cruise was on the Sensation, sort of a last hoorah before my BFF got married. We had 4 others at our table, a mother and daughter who were both adults and 2 older ladies who were friends since the beginning of the ice age, lol They were prob close to 60 (no offense to my elders here, just painting a picture). The mother and daughter were ok but THOSE OTHER TWO!! All they did was complain. "When we sailed with other ships it was never like this!!! Why must the waiters sing so much? Why is the food taking so long? OMG why can we feel the ship move so much? somethings not right tis is awful" UUGH why is the a/c on so high? this is ridiculous, don't they know we are freezing in here." EVERYTHING seemed to piss them off.
My girlfriend and I are notorious for laughing at EVERYTHING so as the night went on we kept tapping each other under the table every time they said something, while trying to hold back a gut wrenching laugh. At one point we just bust out really hard and could not stop. Tears we falling we were laughing so hard.
What We wanted to say to them was "LOOK TOOTHLESS IN SEATTLE..." LMAO BUT instead i said "so if you have take a cruise every year for the past 15yrs and everything was perfect the why in the world did you decide to change your plans and come here?" What complaining gonna do? NOTHING." But did that change? no. And to make it even worse by the time the trip was over, they had the mother/daughter complaining too. Complaining is a contagious disease and a DIS-EASE to those who have to hear it. And those 2 heffa's complained about EVERYTHING. I don't know why, we had a wonderful time while onboard the Sensation.

We totally ignored them and just talked to the mother and daughter, until they jumped on the band wagon ad started complaining to. When that happened we decided to We skip dinner just to avoid the pain of listening to a bunch of nothing while trying to enjoy our trip. We just spent enjoyed out time in Nassau until we had to get back on board. and everytime we saw them on the ship we hurried and walked in a different direction.

Please people, for those of you who are prone to have "diarrhea of the mouth" when it comes to complaining...hold it in. Complaining rains on the parade and we don't like rain while on vacation.

Sensation August '06
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to christitunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJourney
We had a couple a few years back that were both interent cheaters. Both were married and lied to meet (for the first time) on a cruise. They would come to dinner 15 minutes late each night and she would cut all of his food and serve it to him, disguisting. They were real rednecks and hicks. He was some type contractor and she a waitress (imagine that) anyway they had been "talking" in chat rooms for 6 months and decided to sneak away from their spouses. Last day we heard he had called home and his wife had found out. Guess she was suspicious and got in to his computer and found everything. Anyway they would be late finishing EVERY course because she was feeding him.

They also both had cheap cologne and perfume on. He came im formal night with overalls and a 1970's lesiure suit jacket, everyone was laughing all around. They were just plain terrible.
OMG that makes me think of Cousin Eddie on the vacation movies...."REAL tomato ketchup, Eddie?" "Nothin' but the best, Clark!"

Old March 14th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Passenger

We've actually had 2 experiences. In the first, a cruise to Alaska with another couple, we were at a table of eight. The other four people were from taiwan, and spoke no English, except one who spoke a little. Well, it just happened that the first evening was my birthday, We ordered wine for the whole table, including our tablemates. They were so thrilled that we included them that the rest of the cruise was a delight, regardless of our language problems. That experience made us think we could handle anything. We were the second people at that table because the first had asked to be moved when they saw the tablemates.

So... several years later on an HAL to the Mexican riviera, we sat at a table of 6. One pleasant couple, who stopped coming after 4 nights (it was an 11 nighter). the other couple was constantly finding fault.... with us. The first night we met them was the second night of the cruise, so we were criticized for not coming to dinner the first night. Then, when I ordered, I would ask for no starch (whichever, potato, rice, etc) but extra veggies. (that happens to be the way I eat, especially on a cruise) The husband tld his wife, in loud tones, that I did that because I had no will power. And it went downhill from there.

Now, I would not be adverse to ask for a different table, then I didn't want to be rude. I wouldn't worry about being rude anymore. We did meet some lovely couples on that cruise at the bar, and on tours, so our cruise was certainly not ruined, but..... dinner was not pleasant, and there were several nights we went to dinner at the Lido.

Romantica
Victoria
Voyager of Seas
Freedom of Seas
Rhapsody of Seas
Sovereignof the Seas
Imagination
Celebration
Imagination
old Noordam
New Noordam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Century
Constallation
Millenium
ncl wind
ncl pearl

Old March 14th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Passenger

During our Conquest cruise in January, we went with my bmom, some of her coworkers and their friends/family. There were 8 of us total, and we were given one of the round tables in the center of the dining room.
The first dinner, we had all just ordered and were visiting around the table. The waiters had filled our water glasses and were just returning from the kitchen with our starters. Mamajoan's boss's wife was sitting next to my hubby, Russ, and Boss's Wife had done nothing but look down her nose at the entire cruise so far. She adamantly refused to order anything but a NY strip for dinner, so when we all got starters she didn't have anything. She proceeded to bawl out our assistant waiter because he didn't bring her a soup or something, then tried to insist that he serve her a starter for another table. He offered to bring her another dish, and we thought all was good again.
Oh no, not even close. We had told her that normally coffee isn't offered or served until the dessert course, but that she could ask for some early. Do you think she asked?? Oh heck no. She stuck her arm straight in the air and started snapping her fingers at the waiters, announcing, "my coffee cup is empty." I was so mortified I wanted to crawl under the table!

My hubby and I were the youngest in our group (we're in the 40s), with these ladies mostly being 50 and up. This "lady" was near 70. For the rest of the cruise she was pretty good in the dining room, but she had one other habit that drove me crazy. She'd always try to wrap herself around my hubby, or sit in his lap, and constantly called him "Daddy."
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to CM Rob

I think for me its all ways a bit awkward at first because I travel with my Partner and since we are a same sex couple there have been a few occasions (rare) that we have had to request a table change because some people get very awkward. But over all I think we have been pretty lucky to have met some nice people that I still keep in contact with via email.

Sea of Cortez - American Safari
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Familiar Face

We have 20 cruises under our belt. The funniest dinning came on a lunch. You know you walk in the dinning room and they fill the table. We were sat a table for ten then they sat a group of eight traveling together.The first thing was asked of me was what I did for a living. I said I get by. For the rest of the lunch they guessed what I did for a living. They thought I was a salesman and said maybe they would buy what I was selling if I told them what I sold. This went on through the whole lunch. When I am on vacation Work is the last thing I think about.
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Admiral

My reply to "what do you do?" is "as little as possible".
Marty
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjburd
During our Conquest cruise in January, we went with my bmom, some of her coworkers and their friends/family. There were 8 of us total, and we were given one of the round tables in the center of the dining room.
The first dinner, we had all just ordered and were visiting around the table. The waiters had filled our water glasses and were just returning from the kitchen with our starters. Mamajoan's boss's wife was sitting next to my hubby, Russ, and Boss's Wife had done nothing but look down her nose at the entire cruise so far. She adamantly refused to order anything but a NY strip for dinner, so when we all got starters she didn't have anything. She proceeded to bawl out our assistant waiter because he didn't bring her a soup or something, then tried to insist that he serve her a starter for another table. He offered to bring her another dish, and we thought all was good again.
Oh no, not even close. We had told her that normally coffee isn't offered or served until the dessert course, but that she could ask for some early. Do you think she asked?? Oh heck no. She stuck her arm straight in the air and started snapping her fingers at the waiters, announcing, "my coffee cup is empty." I was so mortified I wanted to crawl under the table!

My hubby and I were the youngest in our group (we're in the 40s), with these ladies mostly being 50 and up. This "lady" was near 70. For the rest of the cruise she was pretty good in the dining room, but she had one other habit that drove me crazy. She'd always try to wrap herself around my hubby, or sit in his lap, and constantly called him "Daddy."
Wow! Someone should have given that "lady" a good talkin' to! Sounds like she might have been "under the influence"? They should give out "DDD" tickets to folks like her (Did Dumb Things)