Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM
Admiral

We have never done end of cruise auto tipping and have no plans to do so. We like giving the tip envelope (cash) directly to our Room Steward, Waiter and Asst Waiter. Very seldom ( only twice in 15 plus cruises) do we tip the Assistant Maitre'd and we never tip the Asst Chief Housekeeper.
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Rick,
I'm a tipping fool and grease the palms of those who take care of me.
My question is....what happens when you go to the desk and tell them to remove the auto tip and that you are gonna to tip personally?

And....what about the behind the scenes guys/gals?
Clearing your table...washing your sheets, etc.
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Rick,
I'm a tipping fool and grease the palms of those who take care of me.
My question is....what happens when you go to the desk and tell them to remove the auto tip and that you are gonna to tip personally?

And....what about the behind the scenes guys/gals?
Clearing your table...washing your sheets, etc.
Hi Dan,

We sail Celebrity. Their policy is that you have the choice to authorize auto tip or tip personally. We never authorize auto tip so no need to remove it. At least it was still that way back in Feb when we cruised.

"Behind the scenes guys/gals?" Thats a lot of people

We are always very friendly toward the crew plus I always have a lot of dollar bills on cruise to be given out during the cruise....room service and some bar waiters, some Cova waiters (in addition to 15% gratuity on bill), etc... Believe me when I say, the waiters DO remember you Every cruise, we ALWAYS run into a ships waiter that served us on a previous cruise..sometimes different ship but they remember us before we recognize them. They remember you for being nice and friendly toward them as much as they remember a dollar or two unexpected tip.
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Thanks Rick
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Thanks Rick
You are very welcome! I like your "Peace through superior firepower" signature line So true
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Beginner

I have mixed feeling about auto tips. Personally I think a tip automatically added isn't really a tip, its part of the price. If a drink is $4.00 but you have to pay a 15% regardless of whether the bartender was courteous or threw the drink at you then just make the drink $4.60. I put myself through college bartending so I tip very well.
Unfortunately cruises have become less elite and more mainstream. I seriously doubt 90% of cruisers these days know enough about fine dining to know that it isn't like Chilis where you tip your waitress and your done, you have to tip the waiter, assistant waiter, wine steward, etc. Ten years ago people who cruised knew these things, now its more like the Clampetts go to Hawaii. I'm sure the auto tip was a result of many complaints by ship staff that they were getting stiffed at an increasing rate.
Auto tip makes it easy for everyone I just find it insulting and think it really defeats the entire purpose of a tip.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Captain

For the actual tip everyone needs to leave (unless you just receive deplorable service which I think is pretty rare), I'm convinced the staff doesn't care one bit if you use the auto tip or hand it to them. I have a feeling that overall, the auto tip is probably even a bit easier for them. On RCI, you are given vouchers to give to them in the envelope on the last night stating you have done the auto tip (you still have your choice on RCI of Auto tip or doing it on your own). Maybe it's different w/ Carnival?? So at least with RCI, I'm not sure what the big deal is because they are going to know you tipped them for certain. Always a nice touch to add a bit more for great service..Not sure why it's any more complicated than that for everyone.

We just found the auto tip easier. I didn't have to have exact denominations of bills to count out to each person we tipped which was handy. We left extra to our bar tender, waiters and room steward who were all superior! Maybe the cruiselines should hold the people who NEVER tip anyone a bit accountable. If it is found the person had no reason not to tip at all and/or have all autotips removed and the person has a habit of this, maybe the cruiseline should say "no thanks" next time that person trys to book with them. I'm not talking about those folks who are just a bit cheap, but the ones who basically have a sickness about cheapskating people and can show no legit' reason for never tipping anyone.
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Beginner

Default Automatic tipping charge

I was on a Carnival cruise two years ago. They had a "convenience" automatic tipping charge of $10 per person per day, that supposedly could be adjusted at the pursers desk. I could not adjust it before hand when we registered at the debarkation port. Call me unAmerican but I dislike the notion of tipping in general and believe that employers should pay individuals a living wage. However, if I have to tip, it should be my decision as to how much, since it is a "gratuity." I tried on several occasions to adjust the amount of the tip at the purser's desk during the voyage but was always given the excuse that "this was something that had to be processed through the main office and the communication with the main was down." I received this answer throughout the voyage.
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Well I have cruised Carnival and Celebrity I like the auto tipping. It ensures everyone who is to be tipped recieves a tip. Then if the service is great I will add a tip in person on top of it. I have never needed to reduce a tip so I don't know how it's done. I hope to never need to reduce a tip cause that means something was wrong with the service.

Ttugrad95 I cruised before the auto tips and I would always check the cruise lines website it lists who should recieve what tip and gives suggested guidelines. You are right a lot of people new to cruising will not know which tips are expected for what.

I will be going to Italy and the culture is not to tip at restuarants a lot of americans mistakenly tip in Italy because they don't do proper research before the trip. I like researching other cultures. I find it a fun and fascinating part of trip planning.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to hightowercruises

I do not like the auto tip, because we end up tipping too much. I love great service. I do not feel like I can leave the dining room without tipping, even though I have already tipped. So, we end up spending atleast 30 a day on tips. I wish we could just have a open tipping option!