Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Captain

Default auto tipping

It bothers me that some people feel that because they do not eat in the dining room & only in the buffet they do not need to tip.
They remove the auto tip because they served themselves & therefore the waitstaff should not get a tip

Who cleans the tables before & after you????? Who brings the drinks around.

The tip also includes the cabin stewards and the helper so they get punished as well.

The crew work long hours to make your cruise a good one.
They are verbally abused by some passengers and still keep smiling.

I wish the cruiselines would just include the tips in the price of the cruise.

JUST MY VENT
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Admiral

I agree 100%. No matter what rationalization they use to stop auto-tipping they come off as cheapskates who probably still think leaving a buck is a good tip for a $100 meal.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Yeoman

Okay Doug, so I cannot justify to you why in nearly 23 years of cruising that I went to the desk last year and got them to take off the auto tip.

Yip, you guessed it I'm a cheapskate, not
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM
Beginner

I agree, just include the tips in the ticket price and leave the controversy and guess work out of it. Last cruise we were on the waiter in the main dining room told us he didn't get any of the shared tips.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yeoman

Actually your quote above is in fact controversial and gives worry! What, so I do auto tipping to the line and my waiter get's none of it?

Which line was that on, not saying your wrong, but cannot see a scenario that a waiter in the dining room did not have a share of the "auto tip pot". Sorry, it does not add up. I feel he/she was hitting you with a sob story for extra personal tips
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Do you remember when Holland America used to advertise that no tipping was required, implying that the cost of tips was included in the cruise price. Then they advocated the passengers tipping anyway.

What do you think would happen if all the cruise lines started including the tipping in the price of the cruise? How soon would it be before they started encouraging tipping all over again and pocketed some or all of the supposed included tips?

What, me being cynical? Never!
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default gratuity/service charge

Paul,

That would imply that they're not already taking a slice of that pie.
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Ok, I'll walk the tightrope here.

I have always appreciated the auto tipping and last year, even went as far as to add some cash to the auto tipping. I cancelled the tip for the cabin stewart this last cruise.

We met him the first day while arriving in our cabin. There wasn't a luggage blanket in the room. We asked for one and he said one wasn't available. Now, we knew better because the other cabins had theirs on the bed as is customary. That night we had to turn our own beds down. Our cabin was never cleaned up during the entire 4 day cruise. We ordered room service and the tray stayed in our room for two of the days until we put it out ourselves. We even ran out of bathroom tissue!!! Unexcusable!!!

That is why I cancelled his and his helper's tips.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Ok, I'll walk the tightrope here.

I have always appreciated the auto tipping and last year, even went as far as to add some cash to the auto tipping. I cancelled the tip for the cabin stewart this last cruise.

That is why I cancelled his and his helper's tips.
sounds like you had a good reason to cancel his tips.

Did you complain to management at the time?
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Passenger

I liked the auto tip system that the ship had. Yes, if you have lousy service, then that person shouldn't get the tip, as it sounds like you had with the room not being made up or anything. The amount of tip ($10/person/day) was actually a good amount, and I would probably not cut the amount of daily tip, just reallocate it all to the dining staff.....because if you were eating three meals out a day on a vacation, you would probably be tipping close to $10/day or more just for your wait staff at most restaurants in the US (about $3 per meal).

Caribbean Hotel Reviews

Carnival Victory 2/07--Western Caribbean
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectingcoke
I agree, just include the tips in the ticket price and leave the controversy and guess work out of it. Last cruise we were on the waiter in the main dining room told us he didn't get any of the shared tips.
I hope you didn't fall for that.
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Personally any one who wishes to eat in the buffet instead of paying for the tips should question why they are talking a cruise. The dinners and lunches are part of the cruise experience. The waiters are very friendly and make traveling onboard much more warm and enjoyable. Also I grew up in a family that believes tipping shows respect and the lack of shows poor taste and manners. Peace
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Huh? I cruise for the ports and the experience of being out to sea. Not for the food. Sometimes we eat in the dining room, sometimes we eat at the buffet. Especially on port days, that buffet comes in pretty darn handy.
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Beginner

I don't like auto tipping. I like to give the tip, in cash, personally to the waiters, steward, etc. At least that way I know the person who earned it received it!
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCruisin
I don't like auto tipping. I like to give the tip, in cash, personally to the waiters, steward, etc. At least that way I know the person who earned it received it!
Most cruiselines make them turn it into the pool... so kind of defeats the purpose and you have to carry around a lot of bills everyday.
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Passenger

Have to disagree with you. I HATE the auto tip. I tip according to service.

So far I've received only good responses from the crew, and several went out of their way to say thank you for the envelope of cash.

Remember bar drinks have the tip added on at the time. This leaves the room steward and their assistant, and dining room staff.

If I hang out on the top deck, I note who does something (like empty the ashtray, take my dishes, or brings me a cup of java), then next to the last day I look for them and tip. Since these folks work different parts of the ship, I start a day early to find them.
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Luggage blanket

What is a luggage blanket?
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Admiral

A luggage blanket is a cover that lays across your bed so you can place your suitcases on it and unpack without getting the bed dirty from the sides of the luggage or the wheels on the luggage. The cover is usually vinyl and is about 6 feet by 4 feet in size.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Luggage blanket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetWes
What is a luggage blanket?
Hmm, I learned something new today, too. I don't remember seeing one in any Carnival cabin I've had but I know I've seen a folded blanket at the end of hotel beds and didn't realize it had a purpose. Just thought it was an extra blanket if I needed it but was always too thin to really be useful for warmth, lol. Now I know!

On subject, tipping in general makes me uncomfortable because I don't like to be waited on. It's a weird feeling to me to feel that sort of "inequality" between the "server" and the "served". On the other hand, I do believe that people who serve deserve tips for good service and I'm glad to simply pay the auto tip so I can do it and then forget about it.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Admiral

Betwes and laurieloo, most of the luggage blankets on Carnival ships are maroon in color. A good cabin steward will have it already unrolled and placed across the foot of the bed. If it isn't unrolled, it will be in the corner of the room.

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Captain

Lately, because I don't like crowds, nickel and diming, lines, belly flop contests, etc., I have been taking lux lines like RSSC and Silversea when I can afford to do so -- and those times are getting further and further apart! Tips are REALLY included on these lines. I even offered a tip once for special service above and beyond duty and it was refused.

So, it is entirely possible for ANY cruise line to truly say TIPS INCLUDED, mean it, and discourage additional tipping. (Not that sham HAL used to have.) I like it this way. the guests' remedy for service that is "off" is to call the Hotel Manager. My experience is that things get right pronto. It must be recognized that not all passengers are from the US (the tipping capitol of the world) but are from countries where tipping isn't done as much -- or at all. So to expect the crew to work for tips from these folks is just flat unfair to the crew.
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I think auto tipping is a good thing. Look at all the complaints servers have getting tips in resturants. If the did away with auto, many would probaby not tip.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe ruth
Lately, because I don't like crowds, nickel and diming, lines, belly flop contests, etc., I have been taking lux lines like RSSC and Silversea when I can afford to do so -- and those times are getting further and further apart! Tips are REALLY included on these lines. I even offered a tip once for special service above and beyond duty and it was refused.

So, it is entirely possible for ANY cruise line to truly say TIPS INCLUDED, mean it, and discourage additional tipping.
Yes they could just put the tips in with the cruisefare like the lux lines...people would find the prices too high & complain!
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I do add mine to the price of the cruise. Mine have been paid for months now for my June cruise. I have never had such bad service, that I would take them back.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Admiral

The automatic tips started after the cruise lines began letting people eat in the buffet area on the last night and morning. Used to be that you had to go to the dining room for those. It sickened me how many people would eat at the buffet ONLY for those meals, thinking that not being near their servers took the embarrassment out of not tipping them. Talk about tackY!
That said, I have changed my tips both up and down depending on service.
Marty
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Captain

Let me clarify that tipping on mass market lines isn't the reason I don't like them. It's all the restrictions, crowds, lines, other nickel and diming that drove me away. Actually, any mass market cruise line could add $100 per week to the fare pp per week and go "tips included" (REALLY), and I doubt that anybody would be put off by it. The service crew would be protected from "cheap skates" and persons from countries where tipping isn't customary, and everybody would be happy.

Given a choice only between auto tipping and tip envelopes at cruise end, I'd take auto tipping. I don't like to carry much cash on vacation, so auto tipping is a help. Personally, I've never tipped less than the recommended amount (usually more) on ships where tipping was expected. If I encounter a service problem on a "tipping line" (or a "tips included line) my response is the same. Contact the Hotel Director and get the matter resolved. My response has never been to withhold tips.
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default "Pooled" vs. "non-pooled" tips

Auto-tips are a two-edged sword. They nearly eliminate service crew being "stiffed" altogether, but on the other hand, they don't get to keep all of it. It's my understanding that auto-tips are "pooled"-- i.e., put into a big "pot" and divvied up about a thousand ways on a Panamax-size ship-- not only among the "frontline" service personnel (dining room waiters and room stewards) passengers interact with daily, but also lots of behind-the-scenes people passengers never see-- kitchen staff, laundry workers, etc.

Accordingly, I always give my waiters and room stewards something extra in cash, in addition to the auto-tipping. These extras are revenue they DON'T have to share with anyone else, and they always appreciate it greatly. Considering the long contracts, hard work, and unrelenting working hours these guys have to deal with, all while displaying a smiling and positive attitude, I consider it a small price to pay. If you're anywhere near as impressed as I am by the graciousness and commitment the crew bring to their hard jobs,I would encourage all my fellow passengers to do the same on lines that use auto-tipping.
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Captain

Well, the pooling of tips (whether by envelope, autotipping, or tips included) seems to be a big cruise industry mystery. I've seen posts insisting that this was done, and posts insisting that it was not. I must confess that I don't know the answer. In neither of these three tipping methods do I know what happens to my tip after it is paid.

I, for one, would like some definitive answer on the tip pooling question. I'll just bet it differs by cruise line.
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Captain

Most cruiselines with the "auto tip" say that it is pooled and divided up between the wait staff & the cabin stewards...no mention of the behind the scenes people sharing.
The bar staff get someall(?) of the 15% they add to your drink order.

Maybe we should be asking each cruise line to spell it out more clearly.
I leave the auto tip in place and tip extra to those that make my cruise more enjoyable with better service
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Captain

Yes, we should find out this info. I have heard that some (if not all) of the lines that use tip envelopes also use "pooling."

Of course, the TRUE "tips included lines reflect the distribution of tips in higher salaries for all service crew. In a way, I think that is the way it should be.