Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus
we agree if uou give your bag to someone bill they will hold it to ransom, we experienced this on a cruise from the balkans good advice and remember everyone do not leave your bag with anyone as he says.
Thanks Janus! 8)
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Passenger

How much did the persons on the shore hold your bag to ransom
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus
How much did the persons on the shore hold your bag to ransom
Dave,

Didn't you say you lost your bag?

Bill
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Funny...

As I recall, the porters got in big trouble in Miami a few years ago for hustling tips. They would stand there with your bags on a cart and stick their hands out, usually saying "A tip is appreciated, sir." Now, these were big, muscular guys and they were staring you down when they said that. I personally found pretty offensive.
I remember my experience at the Miami Port...Our porter said "I'll take care of your bags for you" and held out his hand.... We were like uh okay and just gave him 10 bucks (for 2 bags)....was kinda intimidating...but we got our bags lol
CARNIVAL SENSATION-NOV '08
CARNIVAL FASCINATION- MAY '10
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Admiral

We cruised out of San Francisco (SFO), Long Beach, and San Diego. We always tipped the porters. SFO is a crowded and difficult port. The porter can save a lot of time and hassle there I think we tip $2.00 a bag. Bags always made it to the ship no problem and both sandels. My suggestion; a damaged or missing bag can wreck your trip; tip the porter.

P.S. It's pretty cool cruising out of SFO cause you pass under the Golden Gate Bridge. Also the Sea Lions hang out near Pier 35 and Boudin's sells the best San Francisco sourdough bread.
Also one of my favorites the Bushman. See explaination below.

One of The City's most popular figures is a harmless but controversial resident of Fisherman's Wharf called the World Famous Bushman, a local street performer who sits behind some branches and startles people who walk by. He has gained notoriety during the 25 years he has been doing this. I love the bay area

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Default Reply to nvabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
[
Let me get this straight, you're spending big money on vacation and can't part with $1 to $2 per bag for a porter? :evil:
I think you missed my point. The point I was trying to make was that we tip the person we see take our bags (the porter/longshoreman), but we don't tip the person who actually delivers the bags to our rooms since we usually don't see them at all.

Barry
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:42 PM
Admiral

I can carry my own bags, and I don’t want to be "socially" blackmailed into handing them off to a guy with a trolley who suddenly appears at my side

Hey,,, I've got a major stash of booze, cigars, cigarettes that I'm smuggling on board this ship, plus a picture of Dave the Wave for the cabin wall....I'm not handing those jewels over to anyone. What if they lost Dave’s picture?

No doubt I could go on the web when onboard to get another picture, but have you seen the cost per minute?
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB
I can carry my own bags, and I don’t want to be "socially" blackmailed into handing them off to a guy with a trolley who suddenly appears at my side

Hey,,, I've got a major stash of booze, cigars, cigarettes that I'm smuggling on board this ship, plus a picture of Dave the Wave for the cabin wall....I'm not handing those jewels over to anyone. What if they lost Dave’s picture?

No doubt I could go on the web when onboard to get another picture, but have you seen the cost per minute?
Don't you have the "special" Dave the Wave picture not availble on the web and signed by Dave himself. It would be a shame to lose it.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Captain

When we cruised out of Port Canaveral a couple months ago, I only tipped the driver of our shuttle from the airport to the port. I would of had no problem tipping a porter but the driver seemed to do most of the handling of our luggage...When we stepped off he seemed to be handing it all to a porter as it came out of the luggage bin of the bus...I kind of wondered about this but the porter seemed to start walking away with a few of the bags and I didn't feel like I should chase him down to tip him..No one else seemed to either.